Boston, MA - DBS - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 196 Old 12-10-2005, 11:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
We can use this topic to discuss DirecTV locals in the Boston & Manchester areas (Boston DMA).

Discussion should be limited to the HD programming, or specific hardware needed in these markets to get HD locals.

"PR:" this prefix indicates the answer to the question comes from the press release.

Do the Boston / Manchester markets need special equipment for the DirecTV HD locals?
PR: Customers can receive local HD channels by purchasing a new H20 HD receiver and a satellite dish that has the ability to receive programming from five different orbital locations.

What DVR is/will be available for receiving HD locals off satellite?
??? Sounds like it will be mid-2006 before there is an MPEG4 DVR ???

What sat HD locals are actually available?
PR: DIRECTV will carry each of the four primary broadcast stations - ABC, NBC, CBS and Fox - that offer an HD feed in the market.

---------------------
DIRECTV Delivers High-Definition Local Channels to Boston, Dallas, Houston, Tampa and Washington D.C. Today
DIRECTV, Inc., the nation's leading digital television service provider, announced today that it has begun offering local high-definition (HD) channels via satellite to
Boston, Dallas, Houston, Tampa and Washington D.C. today.
DIRECTV will carry each of the four primary broadcast stations - ABC, NBC, CBS and Fox - that offer an HD feed in the market.* Customers who subscribe to a programming package that includes local channels will receive both the standard and HD signals at no extra monthly charge.

DIRECTV now offers HD local programming in 10 cities and will launch two more cities - Los Angeles and New York - by the end of this year and 24 additional cities early next year, offering access to DIRECTV-delivered local HD channels in more than 57 percent of U.S. television households.

Customers can receive local HD channels by purchasing a new H20 HD receiver and a satellite dish that has the ability to receive programming from five different orbital locations. DIRECTV is offering new and existing non-HD customers who purchase a DIRECTV HD receiver a $200 mail-in rebate. (Limit one rebate per customer.) Receiving equipment is available at major consumer electronics retailers like Best Buy and Circuit City, and through DIRECTV. Existing HD Customers are eligible for a $99 dish upgrade and one free receiver, plus $99 for each additional HD receiver.
---------------------

Link to press release:
http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix....545&highlight=

Spaceway F2 press release:
http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix....972&highlight=

Spaceway F1 press release:
http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix....828&highlight=

Map of Boston DMA (also attached as .gif):
https://bostonglobe.com/advertiser/m...onmrkt/dma.stm
LL

-Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 196 Old 12-10-2005, 04:35 PM - Thread Starter

Boston, MA - OTA
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...4&page=1&pp=20

DirecTV MPEG4 Installation & Hardware - Master Topic!
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=501777

D* Future HD Plans With New Satellites
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=443890

AVS First Look at DirecTV MPEG4 Local HD Channels! (link is started at page 16)
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&page=16&pp=20

An AVS chat with DirecTV about the MPEG4 rollout
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1&page=1&pp=20

-Dave
post #3 of 196 Old 12-10-2005, 10:18 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 325
HDorBust, thanks for collecting those links in one place. I'm going to copy them over to the San Francisco thread.
post #4 of 196 Old 12-11-2005, 05:57 AM

Dave....
Many thanks for the "site".....I was beginning to wonder if anyone north of D.C was gonna do anything with D*'s new "stuff"....
I finally gave up trying to haggle with D* over the AT-9 dish; since I already have 2 H20s, I see no need to "trade up"....I just need the AT-9 to complete my system. The D* CSRs I spoke to said "we don't offer just the dish....." Funny....they DI "offer just the dish".......when I upgraded to the Phase III.....
The skinny....I ordered the AT-9 from SolidSignal.com....$166 with UPS shipping. I'll get one of the locals to do the install...I hate to play these foolish head games with big companies whose CSRs don't have a clue..... Each CSR had a different "tale" to tell.....from "It's free!" to "$$199.99 w/ $200 MIR" to "$49.95 plus 1 free H20..."
I'll post a report as soon as I get my AT-9 installed....
Thanx again, Dave!
post #5 of 196 Old 12-11-2005, 08:42 AM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Added thread to the Index.

Nice job on the summary.
post #6 of 196 Old 12-15-2005, 09:28 PM

Getting my AT-9 and H20 installed next Thursday (12/22). Got the free upgrade from D*. CSR tried to tell me that it was a $99 upgrade but I told them that I was told it would be free, it was pretty haggle free. I will try and report my experience after the install.

I drank what?
post #7 of 196 Old 12-19-2005, 04:16 AM

Hi everyone! Yeah I'm getting two H20's and the new dish (AT-9) from D*. Installation on 1/7. I went to Best Buy yesterday and saw the units. IMO they're kinda cheap looking. Right now I have two Sony units. The SATHD100 and the SATHD300. Both units have a front panel display. The H20 does not. HDMI aswell. My SATHD300 is DVI and component. I'm going to have to buy a HDMI to DVI monster cable for my 60XBR950. I'm getting the H20's for free, I just hope the old saying isnt true here "you get what you pay for"!
post #8 of 196 Old 12-19-2005, 11:26 AM

Kenn157.....
If you're like most folks who've got the H20.....You should be pleased.....
The audio and video are, IMHO, top-notch....The speed of the menu/guide, however, leaves a bit to be desired; word is there will - at some point - be a firmware upgrade that will remedy this....but in the meantime.....Enjoy your new "toys"!!
post #9 of 196 Old 12-20-2005, 03:57 AM

Does anyone know if NESN HD will be available? Otherwise I have to keep my Adelphia HD for Sox games.
Thanks in advance.

Scoe
post #10 of 196 Old 12-20-2005, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djscoe View Post

Does anyone know if NESN HD will be available? Otherwise I have to keep my Adelphia HD for Sox games.
Thanks in advance.

Good question! Where are you scoe?
post #11 of 196 Old 12-20-2005, 04:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
No NESN for a while maybe up to a year
post #12 of 196 Old 12-20-2005, 04:54 AM

Well I was just getting basic cable. I have Adelphia for internet access. Guess we'll just have to keep watching NESN on chan 623 until then.
post #13 of 196 Old 12-20-2005, 05:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Yes it is to bad that D* can't step up to the plate on this one but I am sure at some point it will be offered
post #14 of 196 Old 12-20-2005, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenn157 View Post

Good question! Where are you scoe?

If it's going to take them a year, I might as well keep Adelphia. I can't go back to SD for the Sox games. No way. I have D* for everything else but for $20 a month I get the locals in HD on Adelphia. When Sox season starts up again, I upgrade the package for the season to include NESN HD.

Scoe
post #15 of 196 Old 12-27-2005, 07:46 PM

Talked with D today and am having three receivers and two dishes installed Jan. 10th. Will post install experience afterwards.

Jay
post #16 of 196 Old 12-28-2005, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsanbo View Post

Kenn157.....
If you're like most folks who've got the H20.....You should be pleased.....
The audio and video are, IMHO, top-notch....The speed of the menu/guide, however, leaves a bit to be desired; word is there will - at some point - be a firmware upgrade that will remedy this....but in the meantime.....Enjoy your new "toys"!!

Thats good to know and thanks!
post #17 of 196 Old 12-28-2005, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cin0s3 View Post

Getting my AT-9 and H20 installed next Thursday (12/22). Got the free upgrade from D*. CSR tried to tell me that it was a $99 upgrade but I told them that I was told it would be free, it was pretty haggle free. I will try and report my experience after the install.

How'd the install go?
post #18 of 196 Old 01-06-2006, 08:33 AM

For the past week or 2 I'm getting a 1-2 second audio lag on my local channels (when they broadcast in HD). So, if I'm watching CSI or something like that the mouths of the actors move then the audio arrives. I tried changing from HDMI to component and it still occurs. This makes me watch the channels in standard form, which pretty much defeats the purpose of having the locals in HD. I know the 5 LNB is fairly new in Boston, but has anyone else been affected by the audio sync problem? Any solutions?
post #19 of 196 Old 01-11-2006, 08:03 PM - Thread Starter

You should try a reset (power off, wait 1 minute, power on). I don't know if it will help, but it seems to be the pat answer to tons of issues with both sat and cable!

-Dave
post #20 of 196 Old 01-20-2006, 02:15 PM
G&G

I'm ready to pull the trigger on HD Direct and dump my short-term HD Cable set up, although I'll lose the DVR.

What can I expect to pay? I am not a current HD Directv customer, but I've been a customer for 5 years.

I apologize if this is posted somewhere else, but this is overwhelming and I need not explaing my reluctance to just call Direct and expect knowledgeable answers.
post #21 of 196 Old 01-21-2006, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter

The links I posted in the 1st reply will probably give you some ideas. In particular, I think you will find a lot of discussion with the following link:

DirecTV MPEG4 Conversion Details !
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=501777

I think if you were to call DirecTV and indicate that you are considering dropping cable, they are more likely to give you a good deal.

-Dave
post #22 of 196 Old 02-17-2006, 03:46 PM

My DirecTV AT9 (5LNB) Dish is pointing southeast!! Mighty mighty winds! DirecTech is coming out Monday 2/20 to fix. I'm glad I kept the OTA antenna. At leats I'm getting the locals in HD.
post #23 of 196 Old 02-18-2006, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenn157 View Post

My DirecTV AT9 (5LNB) Dish is pointing southeast!! Mighty mighty winds! DirecTech is coming out Monday 2/20 to fix. I'm glad I kept the OTA antenna. At leats I'm getting the locals in HD.

My AT9 made it through OK...But it WAS kinda touch-n-go there for awhile.....
According to my anemometer...peak wind gust of 73 mph @1217L (!! )
Glad all the wind did was TWIST yours...not tear it off!! How is yours mounted....Roof? Eaves? Ground/pole? Good luck with a speedy repair!!
post #24 of 196 Old 02-18-2006, 08:02 AM

Its garage roof mounted. You can see my old dish on my home page. The roof is steep.
Yeah hopefully they'll show up between 1 and 5pm.
DirecTV told me that there is a 90 warrenty on the AT9 so if this happens to anyone else with in three months of installation there is no charge for repair.
post #25 of 196 Old 02-18-2006, 02:01 PM

my at9 did not make it! poor install to begin with! good news, as i sit here tech is on the roof, new mast & new lnbs, should be back in 20 mins! good thing i kept ota, pretty good usa/slv ice hockey game!!!

Had prev set up appt to reaim dish, low sig lvls afta sunday's snow!!
post #26 of 196 Old 02-18-2006, 07:24 PM - Thread Starter

I noticed that TNT HD has now appeared in the channel lineup. I am still running with a 3LNB CM Gainmaster dish so it doesn't require the new birds for reception.

-Dave
post #27 of 196 Old 04-13-2006, 06:29 PM

So what kind of pq are people getting with the mpeg4s just to compare? Also, what is your signal strength on the 103 if I might ask.
post #28 of 196 Old 04-14-2006, 01:55 PM

Would someone on the northshore/Salisbury please install a 3LNB DirecTV dish on my moms house? I'll compensate for your time and materials. I'd need it pointed and with a cable run of less then 100' and drill a hole into the basement so the cabel can come up through the first floor. Can you do it tomorrow 4/15/06 in the AM? The home is a ranch and has no obstrusctions for satellite pointing.
post #29 of 196 Old 04-25-2006, 01:32 PM

Ok, I had my 5 lnb dish installed last week. Outside of occassional lip sync issues, the video and sound quality is very good on every channel except the cbs mpeg 4 station from boston. I see strange artifacts on the screen and what I would call minor screen tearing (usually minor and limited to one portion of the screen) frequently during all types of programming on this channel and about every 20 minutes the picture will freeze completely and go black for several seconds before coming back. The problems are remarkably consistent so far, they aren't really any worse or better at any particular time or to be related to the weather. As I said, I see no problems at all on any of the other mpeg 4 networks or mpeg 2 hd channels or any sd channels for that matter, including the sd version of cbs 4 boston. When the picture goes black it never says searching for signal, or on any channel.

Could this be a signal stength issue or is this a problem a lot of people are having with cbs out of boston, considering all the other channels are fine? I generally have signal strength on two transponders on the 103 satellite ranging from 84-90, which from what I have read should be strong enough. I am only concerned because I may be as far away from the boston spot beat as you can be without having to change your service address to get them lol, I am not sure how the mpeg 4 spot beam compares to the standard beam we have maps for.

Otherwise, I have forced a software update on the h20, the same problem occurs whether I am using hdmi or component on my plasma or with various sound hookups. Any insight? I guess 3 out of 4 networks isn't bad.
post #30 of 196 Old 05-14-2006, 11:33 AM

Can anybody recommend Dish Network vs. Direct TV for cost, HD content, and availability of HD Movie and Sports channels (for local, Boston area teams especially Sox and Patriots)

I don't want to buy an antenna, and I want to turn on CBS on Sunday and have my local affialiates' broadcast of the Patriots game, not the nationally televised game.

Also, is there any word on HD NESN? I'm using comcast now, and while I don't have HD NESN, they show (almost) every Sox game in HD on a channel called INHD.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page