post #271 of 818 Old 09-27-2006, 12:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Kenney View Post

I agree, KNTV-HD via the satellite still needs work, but the other three, KGO, KPIX and KTVU, are all fine on my 34-inch Sony. I get less "hits" from the satellite than I do OTA for KPIX, so I always record CBS from Dish. Where I record ABC and FOX varies depending on whether or not I want to record KNTV or KBCW using the OTA tuner. I haven't seen any problems with lip-sync on KGO lately.

What got screwed up in your 622 with the recent firmware update? I haven't noticed any problems here.

You must have all of the movie channels and all of the SD channels if you're paying $111. I have HD Bronze which gives me 29 or 30 national HD channels and the four HD locals plus about 80 SD channels for $67 a month.

Larry
SF

Yes, I have all the premiums. Even at $111 a month I think it's still incredibly cheap.

With fw L3.60 I rarely had any video stuttering and no audio issues, with L3.63 I'm getting stuttering again and having audio dropouts. Apparently it's a well known bug that Dish has already sent down a potential fix to some beta testers already, so I'm fairly confident it will be fixed soon.

Other than that, my only real complaint is KNTV, some material is fine, but other stuff is just terrible.

BTW, that S3 TiVo I talked to you about? The ATSC tuner that thing smokes all the others I've tried, it's outstanding, been able to record KBCW with nary a problem for over a week.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 818 Old 09-27-2006, 06:31 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

Yes, I have all the premiums. Even at $111 a month I think it's still incredibly cheap.

With fw L3.60 I rarely had any video stuttering and no audio issues, with L3.63 I'm getting stuttering again and having audio dropouts. Apparently it's a well known bug that Dish has already sent down a potential fix to some beta testers already, so I'm fairly confident it will be fixed soon.

Other than that, my only real complaint is KNTV, some material is fine, but other stuff is just terrible.

BTW, that S3 TiVo I talked to you about? The ATSC tuner that thing smokes all the others I've tried, it's outstanding, been able to record KBCW with nary a problem for over a week.

thanks, Larry and Keenan, this is so cool to hear!
I have two stand alone S2 TiVos, will Dish 'talk' to them? or should i keep them as the OTA they are on now?

Wendek
post #273 of 818 Old 09-27-2006, 03:12 PM

New to this thread. I have the HR20 from D!rect. They have not enabled the oTA yet so I dont have it hooked up. CBS HD over the sat has a red pixel issue that appears in the middle of the screen especially in faces on various shows. None of my other HD channels do this. Anyone seen this? My TV has a OTA tuner, may hook that up to compare, but then lose the DRV goodness.

Thanks,

FGodiva
post #274 of 818 Old 09-27-2006, 04:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by FGodiva View Post

New to this thread. I have the HR20 from D!rect. They have not enabled the oTA yet so I dont have it hooked up. CBS HD over the sat has a red pixel issue that appears in the middle of the screen especially in faces on various shows. None of my other HD channels do this. Anyone seen this? My TV has a OTA tuner, may hook that up to compare, but then lose the DRV goodness.

Thanks,

FGodiva

You're talking about the KCBS feed from LA? I haven't noticed that, but I haven't been watching it too much lately either, and I'm also using a HR10-250, not the HR20. I'll take a look at it tonight though.
post #275 of 818 Old 09-28-2006, 01:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendek View Post

I have two stand alone S2 TiVos, will Dish 'talk' to them? or should i keep them as the OTA they are on now?
Wendek

The TiVo and Dish DVR are not compatible. You'll have to use them separately.

Larry
SF

My complete SF Bay Area DTV Station Lists: http://www.choisser.com/sfonair.html
Lots of Broadcasting links and information: http://www.choisser.com/broadcast.html

Check out photos and info on my antennas: http://www. larrykenney.com/tvantennas.html

post #276 of 818 Old 09-28-2006, 07:01 AM

No I get my SF CBS feed off the dish out of SF, KPIX I think. Saw it again last night and even a blue one or two thrown in during Crim Minds - Francis
post #277 of 818 Old 09-28-2006, 08:17 AM

Quote:

The TiVo and Dish DVR are not compatible. You'll have to use them separately.

I was under the impression that a Series2 Tivo had the ability to change channels on a cable or satellite box. So, they can be used, they just don't integrate seamlessly like a DVR from the sat company would.

-Lyle J.P.
post #278 of 818 Old 09-28-2006, 08:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

No I get my SF CBS feed off the dish out of SF, KPIX I think. Saw it again last night and even a blue one or two thrown in during Crim Minds - Francis

Okay, well someone else with the MPEG4 STB will have to speak up as I don't get the local HD from DirecTV, just the 4 DNS HD stations from LA.
post #279 of 818 Old 09-28-2006, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyle_JP View Post

I was under the impression that a Series2 Tivo had the ability to change channels on a cable or satellite box. So, they can be used, they just don't integrate seamlessly like a DVR from the sat company would.

-Lyle J.P.

Or actually, i was wondering if i ran a cable from the dish directly to the S2 TiVo if it could recieve the signal or is the dish/directv signal proprietary like iTunes maybe, if that makes sense, and can only be decyphered by a dish STB?
i'd rather not daisy-chain them if i don't have to.
wendek
post #280 of 818 Old 09-28-2006, 09:33 AM

A series2 Tivo does not have a satellite tuner, only an analog broadcast and basic cable tuner. And even if it did have a basic satellite tuner, it still wouldn't be able to decrypt the signal. The only Tivos which do what you want are the ones built specially for DirecTv, called DirecTivo.
post #281 of 818 Old 09-28-2006, 09:46 AM

ok, so that means, these guys are going to be out-moded some day in the very near future huh? doh!
thanks,

Wendek
post #282 of 818 Old 09-29-2006, 09:02 PM

Quote:

Thanks,

FGodiva

I have D* SF HD locals. I have not seen this on KPIX

Life is short, don't wait...do it today!
post #283 of 818 Old 10-08-2006, 01:26 PM

49er Raider game looks TERRIBLE on D*.Blurred and dull. I guess it is a SD signal w/less than 200 lines of resolution....'-(

post #284 of 818 Old 10-08-2006, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 91
It looks terrible on Comcast as well.

Bobby 

post #285 of 818 Old 10-08-2006, 02:28 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
So I cant watch the Dal Vs Phi game on 2 because of the NFL. Now I do believe that 2 normally carries 49ers game in HD but they do not have it because of the national game?

There is non reason for this game to not be in HD on any channel.
post #286 of 818 Old 10-08-2006, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby94928 View Post

It looks terrible on Comcast as well.

Even the halftime show is in sd. But, why waste good HD equipment on our bay area draft choice bowl!!!!!

post #287 of 818 Old 10-09-2006, 02:04 AM
AVS Special Member

I recorded both "Desperate Housewives" and "Brothers and Sisters" from KGO HD via Dish channel 6439 tonight and the signal was terrible. The first part of "DH" was missing entirely, then there were several places where the signal was lost, or it broke up, later on in both shows.

I was ready to blame Dish, but read in another thread that it was KGO who was having all the problems. Those watching OTA had the same troubles.

It sure would be nice if Dish and DirecTV were able to get the same direct feed that Comcast gets!

Larry
SF

Lots of Broadcasting links and information: http://www.choisser.com/broadcast.html

Check out photos and info on my antennas: http://www. larrykenney.com/tvantennas.html

post #288 of 818 Old 10-09-2006, 10:32 AM

It appears to me that D* allows you to have 6 tuners vs. just 4 for E*. is that correct?

If I have 4 TVs and want one or two dual-tuner DVRs, it sounds like I would be better off with D*. Comments?
post #289 of 818 Old 10-09-2006, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermangerman View Post

It appears to me that D* allows you to have 6 tuners vs. just 4 for E*. is that correct?

If I have 4 TVs and want one or two dual-tuner DVRs, it sounds like I would be better off with D*. Comments?

I believe D* has a 10 box limit if you own. I have 8 dual tuner HD DTiVo's (one using only 1 tuner) and a regular HD box on 4x16 multiswitch. Not sure about E*, but they shouldn't complain if you own the equipment.
post #290 of 818 Old 10-09-2006, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker View Post

I believe D* has a 10 box limit if you own. I have 8 dual tuner HD DTiVo's (one using only 1 tuner) and a regular HD box on 4x16 multiswitch. Not sure about E*, but they shouldn't complain if you own the equipment.

Interesting, but is the difference significant if you rent the equipment?
post #291 of 818 Old 10-09-2006, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Interesting, but is the difference significant if you rent the equipment?

Best to call and ask to be sure. I have one E* 622 DVR that is leased and I think they told me that was the limit when I asked back in June.
post #292 of 818 Old 10-10-2006, 09:35 PM
AVS Special Member

I received the following email from Rich Tom, Chief Engineer of KGO-TV/DT. It explains the problems we all encountered on Sunday watching KGO-DT.

Larry
SF

- - -

Hello Larry,

Please pass this on to the HDTV Groups.

I just wanted to let you all know that we did have a problem with the digital transmitter on Sunday for most of the day. What happened is that the transmitter internal lockout logic was having an intermittent fault indication. This would drop the transmitter from the ready state and prevent the transmitter from staying on the air. The transmitter was cycling on and off intermittently.

The logic is daisy chained through 11 different logic circuits which made it very difficult to troubleshoot. I isolated the problem at about 4 AM Monday morning and got the transmitter back on the air at 4:27 AM.

Regards,
Rich

post #293 of 818 Old 10-10-2006, 09:36 PM
AVS Special Member

KTVU FOX 2 (digital 56) is the first to broadcast their news in HD in San Francisco. They started today. Check it out!

Larry
SF

post #294 of 818 Old 10-11-2006, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

KTVU FOX 2 (digital 56) is the first to broadcast their news in HD in San Francisco. They started today. Check it out!

Larry
SF

Larry,
I know you use to work for KGO, so I was wondering if you know or know someone there that could tell you what the hold up is for KGO going HD locally. I had thought of all the local stations, that KGO would have been the first to go HD locally. The HD camera in the helicopter was a nice novelty but a waste of a good HD camera IMHO.

Laters,
Mikef5
post #295 of 818 Old 10-11-2006, 04:34 PM

I was wondering about non HD Dish equipment. Is there any advantage to MPEG4 capability in that case?

For example, are the Dish non HD locals in MPEG4?
post #296 of 818 Old 10-11-2006, 04:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I was wondering about non HD Dish equipment. Is there any advantage to MPEG4 capability in that case?

For example, are the Dish non HD locals in MPEG4?

Nope, HD only so far.
post #297 of 818 Old 10-12-2006, 01:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikef5 View Post

Larry,
I know you use to work for KGO, so I was wondering if you know or know someone there that could tell you what the hold up is for KGO going HD locally. I had thought of all the local stations, that KGO would have been the first to go HD locally. The HD camera in the helicopter was a nice novelty but a waste of a good HD camera IMHO.

Laters,
Mikef5

It's called equipment budgeting, which has to all be approved by ABC in NY. They have more HD cameras on order, but still need lots of other equipment, including an HD production switcher for the news studio, so it'll be a while before you see news in HD on KGO.

The next thing you'll see in HD is "Jeopardy" and "Wheel". They have the HD server and have already aired several local HD commercials, but they're still waiting for the receiver needed to get the HD versions of the shows.

Larry
SF

post #298 of 818 Old 10-29-2006, 08:14 AM

Something new......Anyone have guesses as to when D* will put up the rest of the locals in mpeg4 HD? I would sure like to get KQED in HD.

post #299 of 818 Old 10-29-2006, 08:16 AM

Been watching KTVU news in HD. Wish the other locals could finds the $ to go HD also

post #300 of 818 Old 10-29-2006, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 91
There was a KGO commercial the other day that said ABC News in HD soon.

Bobby 

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page