San Francisco, CA - DBS - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 818 Old 01-22-2006, 10:24 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Channel 2 looks horrible through the H20 but likes fine OTA. I'm in the San Mateo hills and always don't get a great OTA signal though. So Madpony, I had the same sequence of activity concerning KTVU2 since my upgrade in December.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 818 Old 01-22-2006, 11:25 PM

2 definiley looks better on the antenna here in san leandro. nice and clear, whereas on the dish it's grainy. not horrible, but certainly not as good. glad i have an option.
post #93 of 818 Old 01-23-2006, 03:37 AM

The H20 is out?

I thought it wasn't coming out until the Q2.

I'm about to order Directv and I'm trying to decide what's the best to order now and later without costing me any extra money.
post #94 of 818 Old 01-23-2006, 11:12 AM

h20 has been out for sometime, i believe you're thinking of the hr20-250 dvr...
post #95 of 818 Old 01-23-2006, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdog73 View Post

The H20 is out?

I thought it wasn't coming out until the Q2.

I'm about to order Directv and I'm trying to decide what's the best to order now and later without costing me any extra money.

Rumor has it that as of March 1st, all equipment will be leased from DirecTV. No more purchasing of equipment will be allowed.
post #96 of 818 Old 01-25-2006, 11:10 AM

Installation Update:

My PQ problem that I reported earlier was related to the H20. D* sent me another STB (refurbed!) unit and it resolved the problem; the installer noticed that the previous installation was done poorly and redid the entire install (dish relocation and all).

I can also report/confirm:
- KTVU-HD on the H20 looks like crap; it was painful watching the SeaHawks games
- my H10 gets better transponder signal on the same line
post #97 of 818 Old 01-25-2006, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barmat View Post

Rumor has it that as of March 1st, all equipment will be leased from DirecTV. No more purchasing of equipment will be allowed.

Leased as in similar prices to Comcast Cable? eg.. HD-DVR box for $5/mo??
post #98 of 818 Old 01-25-2006, 07:05 PM

Yes. What I read was the mirroring fee they charge now would become an equipment fee.

Here is the discussion over at the Tivo Community.
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=281632
post #99 of 818 Old 01-25-2006, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barmat View Post

Yes. What I read was the mirroring fee they charge now would become an equipment fee.

Here is the discussion over at the Tivo Community.
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=281632

interesting....
post #100 of 818 Old 01-30-2006, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Kenney View Post

You'll need new gear to get all of these new channels and the HD LIL, because all of the new channels and everything in the future will be MPEG4. Present Dish receivers will not pick up the new channels. (The Olympics channel is excepted... that will be available to all in MPEG2.)

They are offering special deals for present subscribers to upgrade and lease the new receivers. (No mention was made about buying them.) For the 211, the one-time upgrade price is $49. The ViP622 DVR will be available in the first quarter of 2006 for a one-time upgrade price of $299. They didn't say when in the first quarter. There will be a $200 rebate after April 1, so those that can wait will get the 622 DVR upgrade for $99!

The new Dish HD package that includes all of the HD channels is $20 a month. Present HD subscribers rates will not change unless they upgrade.

That's the latest from Dish. Sounds good to me! Come April 1st, I'll be upgrading to the 622 DVR!

Larry
SF

Larry or others... I've been a Dish subscriber since 2003, in San Jose (95126), however we've just purchased an HDTV and I've been looking at my options. Right now moving to Comcast HD, or even Directive HD seems the best as my out of pocket $$$ will be minimal, and the monthly should be simular. Do you know if Dish has any form of rentention program to keep people with their system, such as offering simular deals for HD systems that a new subscriber would get?

On these new HD systems, was there any more details on how they would treat existing subscribers and when? My wife really, really wants to see the Olympics in HD (and I'd love to see the Superbowl in HD). Right now our option is OTA (which I don't know how well we'll get the signal, or one of the Cable/Sat HD systems. I also want the ability to record (DVR)/timeshift -- which I have today with my Dish SD setup.

Any pointers in dealing with Dish CSRs and any 'customer retention representatives' would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Gary
post #101 of 818 Old 01-30-2006, 11:29 AM

hey guys,

quick question-

i have directv for standard def right now, will the 5 lmb dish definetely work for me, does it need a different angle at all? I'm real close to another building that makes it real hard to get the standard def right now (had to mark the feet on my stand)?

Thanks
post #102 of 818 Old 02-01-2006, 01:54 PM
jdk

If you wish to use the 5-LNB dish to simply pick up standard defintion programming, it will do that just the same as a single-LNB dish will do (although you're using an unnecessarily large dish to do only that).

The purpose of the new dishes -Phase III and AT9 (5-LNB) is to give you access to different satellite positions to receive HD and/or some international programming. To see these satellites, you'll need a clear line of site to them. From the dish's point of view, there's one a few degrees to the left (and slightly lower). and then there's three satellite positions to the right, the furthest out being 18 degrees to the right (and slightly higher)
post #103 of 818 Old 02-01-2006, 05:16 PM
jdk

Let me post a further clarification:

The 5-LNB dish actually points 9 degrees to the right of where you point a single LNB dish, at the 110 degree slot.

However, it still "sees" the standard 101 degree slot just like a single LNB dish would. In other words, what type of dish you have has no effect of whether a specific satellite "beam" hits the side of your house or not.

The clarification: my statements about where the extra satellite slots are, is relative to a single-LNB dish.
post #104 of 818 Old 02-19-2006, 08:00 PM

Any update for the mpeg4 DVR?
post #105 of 818 Old 02-20-2006, 12:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I received the following email from Rich Tom, Chief Engineer at KGO-TV/DT:

Hello Larry,

I'd appreciate it if you could post this to the various HDTV groups. (You know what they are, I don't.) Thanks.

-------------

I added sub-channel 7.3, the new KGO AccuWeather Now, yesterday. I am telling you, you guys are up to the second with what we are doing with our digital signal and don't miss a thing.

The contrast problem you encountered was caused by the upconverter being set incorrectly. The black level was set to -89mv and white level was set at +4mv. I reset them back to unity.

I was creating the program guide last night for 7.3 and while uploading it to the PSIP table it broke the chain to the DTV encoder. I had to recreate the links to the DTV encoder manually. Some of you noticed that we were showing up as 24.3, 24.4 and 24.5 for a while. Everything should have been back to normal by 9 PM last night (Saturday).

If you are having problems receiving KGO-DT, you might need to re-scan due to the break in PSIP information. Some receivers don't seem to recover automatically after a PSIP problem. Others seem to handle it with out any difficulty.

I took 2 mbs from our HD channel for the new AccuWeather Now. The HD may not look as crisp as before, but it should still look pretty good.

Regards,
Rich Tom
Chief Engineer
KGO-TV/DT

My complete SF Bay Area DTV Station Lists: http://www.choisser.com/sfonair.html
Lots of Broadcasting links and information: http://www.choisser.com/broadcast.html

Check out photos and info on my antennas: http://www. larrykenney.com/tvantennas.html

post #106 of 818 Old 02-20-2006, 02:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I took 2 mbs from our HD channel for the new AccuWeather Now. The HD may not look as crisp as before, but it should still look pretty good.

Regards,
Rich Tom
Chief Engineer
KGO-TV/DT

that cannot be good news.
post #107 of 818 Old 02-21-2006, 12:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garcher View Post

Larry or others... I've been a Dish subscriber since 2003, in San Jose (95126), however we've just purchased an HDTV and I've been looking at my options. Right now moving to Comcast HD, or even Directive HD seems the best as my out of pocket $$$ will be minimal, and the monthly should be simular. Do you know if Dish has any form of rentention program to keep people with their system, such as offering simular deals for HD systems that a new subscriber would get?

On these new HD systems, was there any more details on how they would treat existing subscribers and when?

Somehow I missed this post, Gary, so this might be old news to you by now.

Dish offers 23 channels of HD for $20 a month, above and beyond the cost of their regular packages of 60 channels, 120, 180 and everything, plus OTA HD reception. The lowest price is $29.99 for the 60 channel package plus $20 for the HD. If you want locals it's another $5 a month. They don't offer HD locals for SF-SJ yet, but they're coming sometime this year and they'll be included in the $5 locals charge.

You can find all the details on the Dishnetwork web site:
http://www.dishnetwork.com/
Click on "Programming" and then "HDTV".

I now have the new ViP-622 HD DVR from Dish. I got it this past Thursday and it's working like a charm! It's like having HD Tivo without paying a monthly Tivo fee. Two satellite tuners, one OTA tuner, two outputs - one HD, one SD, and a 350 GB hard drive for 30 hours of HD. Dish has a real winner with this receiver and I'm real happy with my Dish service.

Larry
SF

Lots of Broadcasting links and information: http://www.choisser.com/broadcast.html

Check out photos and info on my antennas: http://www. larrykenney.com/tvantennas.html

post #108 of 818 Old 02-21-2006, 01:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 442 Post(s)
Liked: 442
Quote:

Somehow I missed this post, Gary, so this might be old news to you by now.

Dish offers 23 channels of HD for $20 a month, above and beyond the cost of their regular packages of 60 channels, 120, 180 and everything, plus OTA HD reception. The lowest price is $29.99 for the 60 channel package plus $20 for the HD. If you want locals it's another $5 a month. They don't offer HD locals for SF-SJ yet, but they're coming sometime this year and they'll be included in the $5 locals charge.

You can find all the details on the Dishnetwork web site:
http://www.dishnetwork.com/
Click on "Programming" and then "HDTV".

I now have the new ViP-622 HD DVR from Dish. I got it this past Thursday and it's working like a charm! It's like having HD Tivo without paying a monthly Tivo fee. Two satellite tuners, one OTA tuner, two outputs - one HD, one SD, and a 350 GB hard drive for 30 hours of HD. Dish has a real winner with this receiver and I'm real happy with my Dish service.

Larry
SF

That's fast, I didn't think there were that many 622s available yet. Did you buy or lease? And isn't there a $5.98 DVR fee..(there is with my leased 942)..?
post #109 of 818 Old 02-26-2006, 01:32 PM

I live in the northbay and finally got my H20 installed last week. Over the last few months i have read that the H20 would have audio sync issues, especially on FOX. It seems like this got cleared up, but i have noticed that some shows still experience this, and it doesn't seem isolated to FOX. Channel 7 seemed to have some issues last night. So my question is this: Is it the h20 that causes this, or is it the broadcast or both? Im just wondering if i have bad h.w. and if I should get it replaced? Any input is appreciated. thanks
post #110 of 818 Old 02-26-2006, 10:36 PM

Can anyone compare the current state of DirecTV vs Comcast for HD and the overall package? I am currently a D* subscriber, but I'm frustrated that I only get ABC-West in HD and no FSN Bay Area in HD. I believe Comcast gets both of these. In addition, Howard Stern and the entire On Demand package is quite a big selling point for Comcast. Anyone made the switch from D* to Comcast or vice-versa, and care to comment?
post #111 of 818 Old 02-27-2006, 03:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

That's fast, I didn't think there were that many 622s available yet. Did you buy or lease? And isn't there a $5.98 DVR fee..(there is with my leased 942)..?

I got my 622 last Thursday, a week ago. I leased it for $299. I don't think they're selling any yet. There's been too much of a demand for them and Dish is pushing lease over purchase.

Yes, there's a $5.98 DVR fee for it. My total is $65.97 - HD Bronze package (which includes 60 regular channels and 23 HD channels) 54.99, locals (which will include HD locals for SF-SJ later this year - no date yet) $5, plus the $5.98 DVR fee.

The ViP-622 is a fantastic receiver! It has one OTA tuner that works very well for OTA reception, and has two satellite tuners for MPEG 2 and 4. You can record two shows simultaneously while watching a third.

The recorder works very much like a Tivo. You can record one show, all shows by title, all new shows by title, and specific time blocks, like 5:30 to 6:59 pm daily for the network and local news. It will also find shows by subject, actor, or whatever you enter for a search term. I entered "Academy Awards" as a test. Bad choice. I got 26 programs during the next week set for recording! I deleted that item and all 26 programs went away. Neat!

The 622 also has a two channel RF output, one channel for each satellite tuner, for feeding analog sets via your home cable system. Output channels are user specified.

I haven't had any problems with the unit and am very pleased with how it operates. I think Dish has a winner with this one!

Larry
SF

post #112 of 818 Old 02-27-2006, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Thanks Larry. I wonder if Dish will allow someone who leases a 942 to also lease a 622 as there are some movies on my 942 that I don't want to loose, they can't be found in any other format and were extremely limited runs on the channels I recorded them from. Either that, or I may just purchase the 622 so I can continue to lease my 942, if that is even possible. Sounds like the 622 is essentially a 942 with MPEG4 capability, I have enjoyed the hell out of my 942, done everything I asked it to do and it's never failed me. And the menus are light years faster than the DirecTV HD-TiVo.
post #113 of 818 Old 02-27-2006, 02:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 24
How would you DISH subscribers rate the HD PQ quality of the various HD channels - especially the VOOM channels? Are all those VOOM channels really HD quality?
If you have/had Comcast, how would you compare the HD between the two.

...mike
post #114 of 818 Old 02-27-2006, 04:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

Thanks Larry. I wonder if Dish will allow someone who leases a 942 to also lease a 622...

I've seen posts on various boards from people who have retained their 942 and signed up for a 622. It shouldn't be a problem. You'll just miss out on the $200 rebate. Effective April 1 they're offering a $200 rebate on the 622 to anyone who is leasing another HD DVR and returns it (or anyone who wants to turn in an owned DVR).

Quote:
Originally Posted by snidely View Post

How would you DISH subscribers rate the HD PQ quality of the various HD channels - especially the VOOM channels? Are all those VOOM channels really HD quality?...

HD quality on the main HD channels - TNT, ESPN, ESPN2, Discovery, HDNet, HDNet Movies, and Universal HD - all have full HD resolution. The excellent quality on Discovery and HDNet amazes me sometimes! The VOOM channels look good, but the resolution is limited on these channels to 1280x1080, or something like that, so they're not as sharp as the others. They are what some are calling HD-Lite.

Larry

post #115 of 818 Old 02-28-2006, 09:43 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
On KTVU hd on directv has anyone else noticed the audio lag during American Idol? This is the only program that I notce any lag. 24 and House are fine. Also the picture quality dosen't seem as good during American Idol. Again the other programs are fine.
post #116 of 818 Old 03-10-2006, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twosted View Post

Also the picture quality dosen't seem as good during American Idol. Again the other programs are fine.

PQ on HD-KTVU via DirecTV has been horrible every time I've looked at it. All three other HD locals are wonderful, but KTVU is worse than the SD channel.

-Greg
post #117 of 818 Old 03-14-2006, 03:28 AM

Hi Larry,

I'm considering Dish Network but "officially" my apt does not allow such installation. Would the installation involve a lot of work on the walls? What would be the major damage (if any) to the ground/wall/roof? If not much damage involved, I think I may purchase the bronze plan this week.

Thanks,
john
post #118 of 818 Old 03-16-2006, 09:58 PM

I am still waiting for someone to post that the bugs have been worked on KTVU on D*s HD. Anyone? Thanks

Life is short, don't wait...do it today!
post #119 of 818 Old 03-26-2006, 08:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetPilot View Post

I bought a new TV about a month ago that has an HD tuner. I connected it to my Comcast cable and was pleased to find I was getting HD and DTV channels in addition to the analog that I had before with the stand-alone TiVo and 9 year old Toshiba. I did not get any of the premium [HBO, etc.] channels of course - just the big 5 - NBC, ABC, CBS, FOX & PBS plus KRON4.

Then about a week ago all the digital channels disappeared and have not returned. I still get all the analog that I had before. I did a re-tune with no change.

So what happened? No, I am not paying for digital and so I am not sure if this is the result of something that Comcast did or if my TV's ATSC tuner has failed. As far as I can tell, no Comcast employee has set foot on my property and I don't see any filter on my coax downlead. How can I tell?

Try re-scanning for channels, Comcast changes the RF frequency of their digital channels on occasion.
post #120 of 818 Old 03-26-2006, 08:22 PM

With D*, is there still no way in SF to get FOX and NBC without the MPEG 4 reciever? Any news on the MPEG4 DVR?
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page