San Francisco, CA - DBS - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 818 Old 12-10-2005, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked: 442
DirecTV adds new national HD channels in October 2007, see link below.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=914047

DirecTV rolls out local HD on November 22, 2005.

Coverage area includes the San Francisco-Oakland-San Jose DMA. Below is a map of the DMA.

Current channels offered are,

KTVU-FOX
KPIX-CBS
KGO-ABC
KNTV-NBC

Additional local HD channels will be forthcoming although there is currently no firm date. Speculation has put additional channels coming in 2-6 months.

Current hardware required to receive the HD locals is,

DirecTV H20 MPEG4/2 Receiver(non DVR)
AT9 5 LNB dish

A MPEG4 HD-DVR is rumored to be available sometime during the March to July time frame.

The company statement regrading cost is below. Many have made the upgrade at no cost depending on many factors including which CSR they happen to get when calling in.

Customers can receive local HD channels by purchasing a new H20 HD receiver and a satellite dish that has the ability to receive programming from five different orbital locations. DIRECTV is offering new and existing non-HD customers who purchase a DIRECTV HD receiver a $200 mail-in rebate. (Limit one rebate per customer.) Receiving equipment is available at major consumer electronics retailers like Best Buy and Circuit City, and through DIRECTV. Existing HD Customers are eligible for a $99 dish upgrade and one free receiver, plus $99 for each additional HD receiver.

Below is a few press releases from DirecTV regarding the rollout.

DIRECTV Sets the Stage for Aggressive Expansion of Local HD Programming with Successful Launch of Spaceway F2 Satellite

Thirty-Six Major Markets Will Have Access to Local HD Channels Via DIRECTV by Early 2006; Chicago, Philadelphia, Atlanta and San Francisco to Roll Out this Month

EL SEGUNDO, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Nov. 16, 2005-- DIRECTV continued to build the in-orbit framework for the nationwide rollout of hundreds of local high-definition (HD) broadcast channels today with the successful launch of the Spaceway F2 satellite. The new satellite, combined with the Spaceway F1 satellite, will enable DIRECTV to provide local HD channels to customers in 36 major markets, or more than 57 percent of U.S. television households, by early next year.

The Boeing-built spacecraft lifted off today from the Guiana Space Center in Kourou, French Guiana, at 3:46 p.m. PST (8:46 p.m. Kourou time).

Spaceway F2, along with the Spaceway F1 satellite that was placed in orbit in late April, will support the rollout of up to 500 local HD channels. DIRECTV will offer local HD broadcast channels in 12 cities by the end of this year and 24 cities early next year.

Spaceway F1 began transmitting local HD signals to customers in Detroit on Oct. 20, and four markets -- Chicago, Philadelphia, Atlanta and San Francisco -- will begin receiving local HD broadcast channels this month. DIRECTV will also launch HD locals in Tampa, Dallas, Houston, Boston, Washington D.C., Los Angeles and New York in December.

The Spaceway satellites will be joined by two more next-generation spacecraft in 2007, and together they will deliver more than 1,500 local and 150 national HD channels to DIRECTV customers nationwide.

"With our unprecedented rollout of local digital and high-definition broadcast channels in major markets underway and the recent launch of our new DIRECTV Plus(R) DVR, we are moving aggressively to provide our customers with an unparalleled television entertainment experience and distinguish the DIRECTV service in the marketplace," said Chase Carey, president and CEO, DIRECTV, Inc. "The successful launch of the Spaceway 2 satellite moves us a step closer to our goal of offering local HD programming to most, if not all, TV households in the United States."

The Boeing-built 702 model satellite was carried into space by an Ariane 5 ECA launch vehicle and will provide commercial service at 99.2 degrees West Longitude (WL), one of the Ka-band orbital slots that DIRECTV will use to transmit local digital and HD signals via spot beam to its customers.

After 29 minutes, the rocket left the spacecraft in a geosynchronous transfer orbit with a high point of 22,300 miles (36,000 km) above the equator. Controllers at the Hartebeesthoek ground station in South Africa made contact with the satellite and confirmed that all systems are functioning properly.

In the coming weeks, controllers will maneuver the spacecraft into a circular orbit; deploy the antennas and solar arrays; and test operational functions, communications payload and propulsion system.

The Spaceway F2 is identical to the Spaceway F1 satellite, which launched April 26 from the Sea Launch platform, and has commenced commercial operations from the 102.8-degree WL orbital slot.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I currently do not have the MPEG4 setup as I am waiting until the MPEG4 DVR is made available, but I know others in the area have made the switch and I thought it would be wise to consolidate information and questions in one thread as with the continued rollout of HD locals across the country things could get rather scattered.

Any more info or changes that anyone feels should be added or made to this first post please post it and I will update the post.

Existing forum links:

DirecTV MPEG4 Conversion Details !
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=501777

D* Future HD Plans With New Satellites
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=443890

AVS First Look at DirecTV MPEG4 Local HD Channels! (link is started at page 16)
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/show...3&page=16&pp=20

An AVS chat with DirecTV about the MPEG4 rollout
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/show...71&page=1&pp=20

Tech phone number thanks to krmidas. Try this number for technical problems such as the audio issue.

Tech Number 866-678-6664

(If this number becomes invalid in the future, as often happens with DirecTV, let me know and I'll correct.)

Dish Network HD Locals to start in 2006

The following is a quote from a recent "Charlie Chat" on Dish Network and then a few links with further info about Dish HD plans and local HD channels. As the info becomes more solid I will be adding it to this first post. Coverage area will likely be the same as DirecTV.

E-Mail question – When will you get more HD programming?

Answer – Charlie says that more HD programming is coming soon. The new HD programming will be in MPEG 4. Starting in January ESPN2HD will roll out along with other new HD channels and more VOOM channels. DISH will also be launching HD locals for cities including New York, Los Angeles, Boston, Atlanta and Chicago which will launch in January. Each month after expect 5 more cities per month. Charlie says that Dish will be the leader in HD.

Above from this link,

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=49145
Charlie Chat Summary 12-12-2005 - DBSTalk.Com

Also see,

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=616427
Dish Network Big HD Announcements (ESPN2, HD LiL, and Voom 15) - AVS Forum

Current Dish Network HD channel lineup as of 06/09/06.

Locals,

KTVU
KNTV
KPIX
KGO

Nationals,

Showtime HD
Starz HDTV
HBO HD
Animania HD
Family Room HD
GamePlay HD
Discovery HD Theater
Equator HD
National Geographic Channel HD
DISH Network PPV in HD
Film Fest HD
HDNet Movies
Kung Fu HD
Monsters HD
World Cinema HD
HDNews
Rave HD
HBO HD
Showtime HD
Starz HDTV
ESPN HD
ESPN2 HD
NFL Network HD
Rush HD
WorldSport HD
Gallery HD
HDNet
HGTV HD
TNT HD
Treasure HD
Ultra HD
Universal HD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 818 Old 12-10-2005, 05:48 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Great Bay Area thread idea Keenan, thanks.

I was.. "installed" this morning (five lnb dish, 2 H-20's in Foster City). Free, no exchanged receivers.

System now is 6 HD receivers total (3 Samsung 360's, 2 H-20's and 1 250 HD-TVO.

Now all I have to figure out is how to di-plex in my OTA antenna for HD locals that aren't on the list yet that we watch (36, 44 at least) to the new HD-20's if that's possible. Also, I guess I'll have to use my old 3 lnb dish so I'll be able to use the MPeg-2 HD-250 TIVO.
post #3 of 818 Old 12-10-2005, 05:58 PM

Is anyone who has been installed having audio issues still?

I have had absolutely NO audio at all for the last 5 days or so on KTVU Ch. 2, and my sound still lags behind what is shown on screen for channels 5 (KPIX), and 7 (KGO). This is with the sound going from the H20 receiver directly to the tv, by the way, not a Dolby Digital issue.
post #4 of 818 Old 12-10-2005, 11:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyR View Post

Great Bay Area thread idea Keenan, thanks.

Thanks, I figured it was time, plus, I wanted to keep track of how things were going in the Bay Area until such time as I go with the MPEG4 channels.
post #5 of 818 Old 12-11-2005, 07:06 PM

I am schedule to have my install of the 5 LNB AT9 on 28 Dec 2005 in Morgan Hill. I will be getting an H20 and not swapping out my current HD receiver.

What I wanted to ask is, if I replace my current 3 LNB dish with the 5 LNB, then I assume that all older equipment works just the same for MPEG2 channels as it did before right? There is no need to keep both dishes right?

thanks
post #6 of 818 Old 12-11-2005, 07:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbone View Post

I am schedule to have my install of the 5 LNB AT9 on 28 Dec 2005 in Morgan Hill. I will be getting an H20 and not swapping out my current HD receiver.

What I wanted to ask is, if I replace my current 3 LNB dish with the 5 LNB, then I assume that all older equipment works just the same for MPEG2 channels as it did before right? There is no need to keep both dishes right?

thanks

Correct. The new dish setup will receive all the old sats plus the new MPEG4 ones that handle the HD locals. Being that the AT9 dish is collecting signals from 5 locations as opposed to 3 locations with the older dish, the actual dish install is quite a bit more complicated. To retain use of the older MPEG2 receiver may require a new multiswitch be added, be sure to let the install people know exactly what you want to do(retain reception on old receiver as well as the new one).

Be sure to let us know how it goes. Do you get OTA signals now? I'm really hoping someone can give us some comparisons between PQ.
post #7 of 818 Old 12-11-2005, 07:52 PM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Great summary, keenan - thread added to the Index.
post #8 of 818 Old 12-12-2005, 12:31 PM
PMA

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by madpony View Post

I have had absolutely NO audio at all for the last 5 days or so on KTVU Ch. 2, and my sound still lags behind what is shown on screen for channels 5 (KPIX), and 7 (KGO). This is with the sound going from the H20 receiver directly to the tv, by the way, not a Dolby Digital issue.

madpony,

I have the same issue with KTVU on both of the H20 boxes that were installed about 8 days ago. I called D* to speak with their technical support and they admitted they are getting a few complaints about this but do not know the root cause. I would recommend that you formally complain as well as this will push them to try and resolve more quickly.

Paul
post #9 of 818 Old 12-13-2005, 02:40 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by madpony View Post

I called D* and was told that the KTVU is having a problem sending them the complete HI-DEF feed. She said the sound could come on in a couple of minutes or a couple of weeks. She had no time frame on when it would be fixed.
post #10 of 818 Old 12-13-2005, 11:55 AM

Thanks for the info, twosted. Hey, getting D* to even admit there is an issue is a huge first step. I just really hope the audio issues with KTVU are fixed before the Saturday NFL games and playoffs roll around.
post #11 of 818 Old 12-13-2005, 01:27 PM

I bought the Sony Bravia LCD with a built-in HD tuner. When I brought it home and hooked it up, it did the auto scan for channels and returned quite a bit more that I'm used to seeing. I have Comcast analog cable in Rohnert Park, but I can pick up several digital channels, including all the music channels.

I checked the channel list at choisser's website, but I didn't see the following channels:

87.3 - some kinda movie channel
101.5 - a comedy channel
101.6 - an animated feature
101.7 - SoundChoice (?)
101.9 - a kid movie
101.10 - a movie channel
101.11 - Sex & the City
102.7 - a movie channel
104.4 - a movie channel
104.5 - Music choice
104.7 - a movie channel
114.6 - ESPN Radio
115.3 - OnDemand preview

Last night, I watched one of the movie channels to the end of the movie, to try to see a channel identifier. When the credits for the movie ended, so did my reception. And, some of the channels would not always come in.

All of these are digital channels, because the TV was reporting 480i and D5.1. Does anyone know about these channels?

BTW, what happened to the previous postings on this thread. Did the moderator finally purge it because of the price talk?
post #12 of 818 Old 12-13-2005, 02:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

jgaffney, your post would probably be better suited in the SF Comcast thread linked below.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...79#post6712379
San Francisco, CA - Comcast - AVS Forum
post #13 of 818 Old 12-13-2005, 02:54 PM

keenan thanks for the bayarea thread...very cool. I have D coming on the 15th to install the sat and receiver. Will let everyone know how this goes...my only concern is that Sat needs to be installed on a tripod....hope it can hold it!!
post #14 of 818 Old 12-14-2005, 09:13 AM

I had my 5LNB and H20-600 first installed on 12/5 and so far it's not been ideal. (FYI, I did not previously have an HD package from D*, just SD.) After installation, I would periodically lose signals for some of the SD nationals, and this affected the H20 and my older SD Hughes STB in the bedroom. Additionally, the HD locals would occasionally drop-out -- i.e. the picture would become pixelized or blocky, then go completely black. This would be after just a few minutes of viewing, and could be remedied by switching back and forth b/w channels, but this made watching a 30 minute show unbearable. So, I called D*, and they contracted a tech to come out, who must have been a trainee b/c he said he needed to request their HD tech to come out. Well, duh, didn't D* tell them that this was an HD setup? Wouldn't they know since they were the ones that installed it? (It wasn't the same tech, that came the 2nd time.) So we rescheduled for the HD tech to come out, this time 2 new techs show up, and they couldn't find anything wrong either. Of course, when they showed up, the nationals came in fine, my signal strength was fine, but the HD locals still had the problem. They couldn't figure it out and recommended I call D* to have them swap out the receivers. Well D* stated that they cannot ship these new receivers to the customer directly for self-swap-out, so now I have to take a FOURTH day for this HD install, and who knows if the receiver really is the problem. If this doesn't work out, I may have to try Comcast and CableCard.
post #15 of 818 Old 12-14-2005, 10:32 AM

has anyone heard anything positive about the audio probems with ktvu and the sync problems with kgo. lucky with the h20 i get a better signal through my ota.
post #16 of 818 Old 12-15-2005, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja_blade View Post

Well D* stated that they cannot ship these new receivers to the customer directly for self-swap-out, so now I have to take a FOURTH day for this HD install, and who knows if the receiver really is the problem. If this doesn't work out, I may have to try Comcast and CableCard.

They are lying. When I got my H20 installed I could not get the HDMI to work. I assumed the box was bad because the cable was brand new. I called D* and they said no problem and I had a new H20 at my front door the next day. I swapped out the recievers myself and sent the other one back. Try calling and getting a different tech.
post #17 of 818 Old 12-16-2005, 08:06 AM

Thanks twosted. I'm scheduled for Monday, so I'll hold my appointment for now. Shipping may take longer at this point, but I'll keep that in mind in case something should happen in the future.
post #18 of 818 Old 12-16-2005, 04:13 PM

Turned on KTVU at 3:00pm today and low and behold, SOUND! It is out of sync with the video but at least it is a step in the right direction.
post #19 of 818 Old 12-17-2005, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Anyone measuring bit rate difference between D* and local Bay Area OTA?

Any PQ differences on a high-end display between D* and local Bay Area OTA?
post #20 of 818 Old 12-18-2005, 01:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Any news as to what, if anything, DISH will be doing re: local HD? Won't consider upgrading our ancient lst generation 1 LNB D* system until they come out w. a DVR next year. Have been using Comcast, temporarily for the past few months w. the 6412 box. Spoiled by the DVR and don't use our BEV HD box much any more. May upgrade to the BEV HD DVR (they use the DISH 942 hardware) once I see, in a few months, what satellites future HD will be on. Right now only pick up 2 of their 3 sats - but get the one that has all their current HD. (BEV has more HD than anyone, IMO.)

...mike
post #21 of 818 Old 12-18-2005, 01:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by snidely View Post

Any news as to what, if anything, DISH will be doing re: local HD?

Dish has been talking about 5 markets in Jan(SF is not one of them) and then 5 more markets each month thereafter(I would expect that SF would be in the second batch).

Dish is apparently making an announcement during CES in Jan about their plans.

There is a thread here with Dish info and some of the other sat forums have been discussing it also. I would follow the thread linked below and occasionally check the HDTV Programming Forum in general for news on Dish.

The news about HD LiL from Dish has made my holding off, waiting for the MPEG4 DVR from DirecTV a little easier to bear as I am very interested to see what Dish is going to do.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=616427
Dish Network Big HD Announcements (ESPN2, HD LiL, and Voom 15) - AVS Forum
post #22 of 818 Old 12-18-2005, 09:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 37
How well did the MPEG-4 HD LiL deal with their first big rain storm?
post #23 of 818 Old 12-19-2005, 11:49 AM

I Had no problems with any of the lil's during the storm yesterday. the new dish seemed to weather the storm very well.
post #24 of 818 Old 12-19-2005, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by EKaskewsky View Post

I Had no problems with any of the lil's during the storm yesterday. the new dish seemed to weather the storm very well.

That's good to hear. It literally dumped up here in Santa Rosa and I lost signal for about 10 mins on my old 3LNB dish. First time that has happened in a few years though.
post #25 of 818 Old 12-19-2005, 05:44 PM

I'm down in the southbay and the high winds and rain didn't affect the new 5lnb dish. However I still have audio sync problems w/ Fox. Ok during the 49ers game but horrible when u need to match audio and video.
post #26 of 818 Old 12-20-2005, 01:01 AM

The rain was pouring down extremely hard here (Martinez) on Sunday morning, along with some lightning and thunder, and I lost signal for 10-15 minutes. This is obviously with the new AT9 5 lnb dish. It had also rained pretty hard during and after the installation of said dish, on Dec. 1st, as well as a few times since, and I had never lost signal or had the slightest problem until yesterday. The rain was really fierce for a while, though.

I am so glad to have the audio feed back up on KTVU-2, even if it still lags behind what is on screen. Hopefully they get that hammered out soon. I will say that on my H20, both KPIX-5 and KGO-7, which had both lagged on audio before, now seem to be pretty much perfectly in sync.
post #27 of 818 Old 12-20-2005, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffin View Post

Anyone measuring bit rate difference between D* and local Bay Area OTA?

Any PQ differences on a high-end display between D* and local Bay Area OTA?

No one has local observations?
post #28 of 818 Old 12-20-2005, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffin View Post

No one has local observations?

I'm guessing there is not a large enough installed base yet of folks who have/had both OTA and the MPEG4 locals. I'm very curious as well.
post #29 of 818 Old 12-20-2005, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Added some info and links about Dish Network local HD channels to the first post.
post #30 of 818 Old 12-20-2005, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan View Post

I'm guessing there is not a large enough installed base yet of folks who have/had both OTA and the MPEG4 locals. I'm very curious as well.

Can anyone compare MPEG-2 quality (HD-lite) from DNS channels to MPEG-4 quality for locals during primetime?
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page