Knoxville, TN - HDTV - Page 10 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 6Likes

post #271 of 2072 Old 05-05-2006, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 87
I love all the HD content on WMAK. Keep up the good work. I'll drop a note to Comcast to see if they'll add your station.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 2072 Old 05-05-2006, 02:48 PM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Last two posts merged in.
post #273 of 2072 Old 05-07-2006, 06:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Knocksville TN, capitol por republica de Polezannia
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by aVOLanche View Post

This is the only way(calling) that it will get better.They ignore emails.Please....call the station!

I called 6 tonight and complained when they neglected to switch from the network feed after the basketball game. The network HD loop ran about half-way through before they switched to the news. Love that 50 hz sub test...

In real life I am Dot Mongur champion of the International Pacman Federation. I don't play the game, I operate it.....no dot is safe from me....

post #274 of 2072 Old 05-15-2006, 10:46 AM

Liked: 10
Has anyone noticed how weak WVLT has been recently? They have always performed poorly compared to other Knoxville stations. They share a common antenna with WVLT which is not tuned to Ch.30. WBIR is operating at over twice the power as WVLT on adjacent Ch. 31. Could this be the cause of WVLT's problems? WVLT engineer Doug Stallard does not seem interested in reception problems.
post #275 of 2072 Old 05-15-2006, 07:24 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by onslowtn View Post

Has anyone noticed how weak WVLT has been recently? They have always performed poorly compared to other Knoxville stations. They share a common antenna with WVLT which is not tuned to Ch.30. WBIR is operating at over twice the power as WVLT on adjacent Ch. 31. Could this be the cause of WVLT's problems? WVLT engineer Doug Stallard does not seem interested in reception problems.

WVLT shares a common antenna site but not the same antenna. WVLT and PUBS chi 17 share the same antenna. For some reason this broad band antenna does not perform well for WVLT. The antenna is not owned by WVLT but by the tower company, Richland Tower. I know Doug Stallard and he does care about reception but it is the tower company problem.
post #276 of 2072 Old 05-16-2006, 04:34 PM

I disagree. The tower company might own the tower but they are representing WVLT. It should be WVLT's problem to make sure their product is being sent out correctly. It will reflect on WVLT not the tower company. Just my opinion.
post #277 of 2072 Old 05-17-2006, 05:35 AM

I agree. Utlimately, WVLT is responsible for the quality of their signal. Blaming it on the tower is actually sidestepping the fact that they chose to use that tower, so really it's WVLT's choice.
post #278 of 2072 Old 05-18-2006, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffloby View Post

I disagree. The tower company might own the tower but they are representing WVLT. It should be WVLT's problem to make sure their product is being sent out correctly. It will reflect on WVLT not the tower company. Just my opinion.

Agree, Just that WVLT does not control entirely the situation. They lease space on the tower that they also lease antenna rights. It is diffcult to pin down where the signal problem could be. Tower company could be pointing back at WVLT and WVLT points at tower company.
post #279 of 2072 Old 05-18-2006, 11:58 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcosby View Post

It is diffcult to pin down where the signal problem could be. Tower company could be pointing back at WVLT and WVLT points at tower company.

Fully characterizing a transmitting antenna pattern is not trivial. It generally would involve an outside engineering firm and considerable expense. Another factor is that individual trouble reports are notoriously unreliable.
post #280 of 2072 Old 05-18-2006, 01:44 PM

I just checked my reception and I have WKOP DT 17 (100,000watts) at 65% signal and WVLT DT 30 (398,000watts)with 25% signal. These two station's antennas are on the same tower and at the same elevation. This has to be considered a pretty reliable comparison. It is difficult to blame the viewer when two stations are at the same precise location. Clearly, there is a problem.
post #281 of 2072 Old 05-18-2006, 02:31 PM

I didn't blame the viewer (or you). I think I see a lower than normal signal here from WVLT so there's at least two of us. But a single trouble report is suspect. When several people are reporting the same problem then it is likely real.
post #282 of 2072 Old 05-18-2006, 03:53 PM

I have heard several reports of reception problems in areas northeast of
Knoxville like Hamblen,Greene, Claiborne and Grainger. WVLT promised someone in Morristown that they would be doing testing in Hamblen and Greene County and get back to them with the results. This apparently never happened.
post #283 of 2072 Old 05-18-2006, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onslowtn View Post

I just checked my reception and I have WKOP DT 17 (100,000watts) at 65% signal and WVLT DT 30 (398,000watts)with 25% signal. These two station's antennas are on the same tower and at the same elevation. This has to be considered a pretty reliable comparison. It is difficult to blame the viewer when two stations are at the same precise location. Clearly, there is a problem.

It is the same tower and the same antenna. It is broadband antenna made to handle 4 or 5 different UHF signals. In adddition to WKOP and WVLT, a low power analog station on channel 24 is being carried on tha same antenna. I have the same signal issues in West Knoxville. WVLT signal is significantly lower than WKOP. The problem is with the antenna.
post #284 of 2072 Old 05-19-2006, 05:30 AM

Quote:

It is broadband antenna made to handle 4 or 5 different UHF signals. In adddition to WKOP and WVLT, a low power analog station on channel 24 is being carried on tha same antenna.

Well, if it's so obviously bad, it should make it easier to diagnose and repair. At least engineering and management should agree on a course of action whether Richland does or not.

For what it's worth, ch30 was slightly higher strength than ch17 at home. Channels 7, 26, 31 were full scale with ch34 near full scale. This was from an older "color ready" antenna ;-)
post #285 of 2072 Old 05-30-2006, 06:24 AM

where is everybody?
post #286 of 2072 Old 05-30-2006, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 1334
Quote:

where is everybody?

Lewis... do you mean location? I'm in Fountain City, with a view of Sharp's Ridge. I get all channels good with a basement antenna except channel 20 and *cough* WMAK.
post #287 of 2072 Old 06-02-2006, 07:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Is anyone with Comcast noticing a problem with a "skipping" picture on the TNT HD channel? I've had that problem for a couple of weeks, at least during the NBA games. I don't know if it's the box, Comcast's signal, or something else. None of the other channels do that.
post #288 of 2072 Old 06-08-2006, 11:35 PM

Quote:

Many have complained after seeing the World Cup TV schedule that a significant number of the games are on ESPN2, which does broadcast in HD but most companies don't carry. Comcast has announced they will add ESPN2-HD in "several markets" tomorrow...but they didn't say which ones. So for all the soccer futbol fans out there, you might be in luck...or you might not. If anyone can get ahold of the list of cities or areas where ESPN2-HD will be available or if other carriers will add the channel as well, please let us know in the comments

http://www.hdbeat.com/2006/06/08/com...the-world-cup/

Of course its not in knoxville yet atleast, i just did a channel scan and didnt see it. I am assuming it will be channel 203 maybe by the time I wake up it will be there
post #289 of 2072 Old 06-14-2006, 04:00 PM

Looks like it is here ESPN2HD channel 203 the guide hasnt been updated but the channel still works.
post #290 of 2072 Old 06-14-2006, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pong1092 View Post

Looks like it is here ESPN2HD channel 203 the guide hasnt been updated but the channel still works.

Guess Charter is behind, but at least we have Moxi. ;-)
post #291 of 2072 Old 06-14-2006, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pong1092 View Post

It looks like they removed the braves HD channel on 201 to add ESPN2HD. Probably because they are horrible this year.
post #292 of 2072 Old 06-14-2006, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsbeeler View Post

It looks like they removed the braves HD channel on 201 to add ESPN2HD. Probably because they are horrible this year.

Who Comcast, or The Braves? ;-)
post #293 of 2072 Old 06-15-2006, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsbeeler View Post

I hardly follow baseball any more. But when flipping through channels since baseball season started, I have only seen the Braves on in HD two times.

I hope the addition of ESPN2 HD is permanent. I have bugging them to add it since it came on the air. There have been a lot of good college football and basketball games missed in HD because Comcast has not added. Drop them a line and tell them thanks in hopes they'll keep it.
post #294 of 2072 Old 06-15-2006, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Back to my earlier question: is anyone experiencing video problems on some of the Comcast HD channels, specifically a picture that appears jittery? Several channels are like that on mine and a co-worker said he's seen the same thing, but on different channels where I see it.
post #295 of 2072 Old 06-15-2006, 02:45 PM

Hey everyone, I'm new here and new to the HDTV scene! Just got a tv a couple of weeks ago and am trying out the OTA stations from west Knoxville with an indoor antenna. So far I've had pretty good luck picking up WVLT (8.1), WTNZ (43.1), WBIR (10.1), and WMAK (7.1). I have not been able to get WKOP (17.1) very much at all. When I first set it up, the first station I picked up and probably the strongest one was WATE (6.1), but now I am not getting a single thing from them. I guess I noticed that I wasn't getting anything from them early last week, and no matter where I put or point the antenna the TV gives me a "Low signal quality." With the other stations I can usually at least get intermittent sound and blocky pictures even if I'm moving it around. The other weird thing is that according to the TV, the signal strength on WATE is very good with usually 80-90%. Has anybody else been having problems with them? I really wanted to see a world cup game or two not to mention the NBA Finals!
post #296 of 2072 Old 06-15-2006, 03:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 1334
Hey nealf...

Welcome to the forum!

I don't have any suggestions for your WATE problem, except to maybe have your TV do a channel scan all over again. WATE shouldn't be a problem to get.
post #297 of 2072 Old 06-16-2006, 06:29 AM

Thanks DaverJ! I had tried doing a manual remove and addition of the channel, but I guess I needed to do an automatic scan because that seemed to work!
post #298 of 2072 Old 06-16-2006, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nealf View Post

Hey everyone, I'm new here and new to the HDTV scene! Just got a tv a couple of weeks ago and am trying out the OTA stations from west Knoxville with an indoor antenna. So far I've had pretty good luck picking up WVLT (8.1), WTNZ (43.1), WBIR (10.1), and WMAK (7.1). I have not been able to get WKOP (17.1) very much at all. When I first set it up, the first station I picked up and probably the strongest one was WATE (6.1), but now I am not getting a single thing from them. I guess I noticed that I wasn't getting anything from them early last week, and no matter where I put or point the antenna the TV gives me a "Low signal quality." With the other stations I can usually at least get intermittent sound and blocky pictures even if I'm moving it around. The other weird thing is that according to the TV, the signal strength on WATE is very good with usually 80-90%. Has anybody else been having problems with them? I really wanted to see a world cup game or two not to mention the NBA Finals!

Hey nealf,
What type of indoor antenna are you using? I'm new to HDTV too and I'm also interested in the OTA stations, and I'm trying to avoid using an external ant. But I'm not having much luck at all. I have intermittently been able to pick up WMAK and WATE (found in a scan, but never got a picture). So I'm just curious what you're using. BTW, I'm in Louisville, close to the Blount/Knox Co line.

Thanks.
post #299 of 2072 Old 06-16-2006, 08:36 AM

One of the best indoor antennas is the Silver Sensor.Sears is closing them out for about $13(orig. about $30).West Town had one left last week.
post #300 of 2072 Old 06-16-2006, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idjit View Post

What type of indoor antenna are you using?

Hey Idjit, I just picked up a Terk HDTVa locally to try it out. It works, but I haven't been all that impressed, so it might be difficult to pick everything up well since you are a little farther out. I'm actually planning on returning this one because I am getting ready to move down to Mississippi where I'm definitely going to need something bigger. That's all I can speak to since it's the only one I've tried...I'd listen to any suggestions the veterans here have.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page