Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #91 of 2065 Old 11-14-2005, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Sounds like a station issue not having something set right. Maybe they'll fix it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 2065 Old 11-14-2005, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Southard View Post

WBXX is now 1080i. I noticed this a few days ago, but the programs that should be hd are not yet. How long do you think it will be before they can start showing the hd content in hd? My wife likes Reba, so we watched it last night in hope that it would be, nope. I now they are 1080i now, because that is the signal my tunner (built in, panasonic. But I just swithced to Dish friday and am now using their box) says it is picking up.

Hopefully, that means they'll offer HD soon. I recall it was a couple of mos for WTNZ after they went to 720p. I guess I'll have to turn the antenna towards Oak Ridge if that occurs.
post #93 of 2065 Old 11-14-2005, 04:33 PM

They have started! Reba last week was in hd. They still have bugs to work out, the audio was out of sync. I am pretty sure they have done some other hd but I have been busy and not able to watch.
post #94 of 2065 Old 11-18-2005, 10:52 AM

Anyone having trouble with WVLTDT channel 8-1 in Knoxville.I'm getting no signal.But if I go to 30-1,I get the broadcast.The problem then,is that the guide,season pass,anything set to record doesn't work......Thanks for any help!
post #95 of 2065 Old 11-18-2005, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 628
Quote:
Originally Posted by aVOLanche View Post

Anyone having trouble with WVLTDT channel 8-1 in Knoxville.I'm getting no signal.But if I go to 30-1,I get the broadcast.The problem then,is that the guide,season pass,anything set to record doesn't work......Thanks for any help!

I take it you are using a HD DirecTivo?
post #96 of 2065 Old 11-18-2005, 10:59 AM

Yes,an HR10-250.
post #97 of 2065 Old 11-18-2005, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 628
I'll take a look at mine when I get home tonight. I don't record much WVLT so I haven't noticed anything - but from what you described it sounds like a guide-data error from DirecTV.
post #98 of 2065 Old 11-18-2005, 11:21 AM

Would a call to Direct help?I looked to see when it updated and it was last night.So,I'm guessing you are right.Thanks!

Update:I called DirecTV and they said all OTA information is in the OTA signal.So they have no ability to affect the guide/signal of OTA channels(like through the nightly phone update).They had me "clear all OTA channels" and then do a new scan.....which accomplished nothing.The signal was still at 30-1 and nothing at 8-1.They then suggested that I call WVLT,which I tried to do.But Doug Stallard(their chief engineer was out).Then,miraculously,the signal came back on at 8-1 and the guide is working again.Very odd that it had been messed up since yesterday,then "corrected" itself about 5 minutes after I left a voice mail!
post #99 of 2065 Old 11-19-2005, 06:38 AM

Hi guys I need help!
I hope this is the right place to ask. I am about 53 miles (according to antennaweb). from the knoxville TN stations (east of Morristown). I'm pretty high here where I live so I don't think line of sight is a big problem.
I just placed a CM 3020 in my attic. I am getting between 45 to 60 on my signal meter on my D* reciever. Will a preamp help me or am I just out of luck. I get the locals on satallite but I want the HD reception. They all seem to go in and out....Anything you would suggest?
post #100 of 2065 Old 11-19-2005, 06:55 AM

A preamp will only "maintain" the strongest signal that you already receive.It's purpose is to keep losses to a minimum.The losses are usually from very long runs of cable.Generally that means WELL over 100 ft of RG6.You are using RG6,are you not?That's what you need.
Attic placement can be tricky because you will lose signal from going through the wall(s).And you may lose a lot or a little,depending on what the wall is made of AND whats in the wall(any metal,for example).A preamp will not get back that lost signal.
The CM 3020 is rated by Channel Master as a 9.5dB gain antenna.The 4228 is their highest gain UHF antenna at 12 dB.A switch might help.I realize that the CM 3020 is an expensive antenna,but it's not necessarily the best choice.See solidsignal.com for antennas.
Location is also a problem for many antennas.You can move it a few inches and get a huge change.It's pure trial and error.
post #101 of 2065 Old 11-19-2005, 11:11 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Hello folks - saw a post from New Tazewell, Powell and Corbin, and curious your ability to pickup OTA-DT signals out of Knoxville? Heading down to Middlesboro, Ky for Thanksgiving w/ the family, and the little brother has a new Sony Wega HD TV, but has never seen an HD signal on it yet. Was going to take my HD tuner down to see if we can't get an OTA signal to watch one of the football games. Curious if it'll be a waste of time, or if anyone local to this area is able to get anything HD out of Knoxville.. I'm thinking Knoxville is where I'll have to pull from, but if there's HD being transmitted anywhere else in the area, I'll certainly look there as well... thanks all -
post #102 of 2065 Old 11-19-2005, 12:32 PM
Advanced Member

Put the Middlesboro address in this website to see if any stations come up.
http://www.antennaweb.org/aw/Welcome.aspx
(It will not be the final answer; only tests on the site will give you the final answer.)

JB - Asheville

post #103 of 2065 Old 11-19-2005, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry birdwell View Post

Put the Middlesboro address in this website to see if any stations come up.
http://www.antennaweb.org/aw/Welcome.aspx
(It will not be the final answer; only tests on the site will give you the final answer.)

I gave that a try a bit earlier this week and only pulled up about 5 channels, none of which were DT. A few of the folks posting in this Knoxville thread are "somewhat" close to Middlesboro, so going straight to the horses mouth, so to speak. I see someone posting from Corbin, which is 50miles further north of from Knoxville than where M'boro is located. Would be surprised if he's pulling in Knoxville OTA, but if so, there may be a chance.

Thanks for the info however - Best..
post #104 of 2065 Old 11-19-2005, 02:47 PM

I am in LaFollette and I get all the HDTV channels. It is worth a shot.
post #105 of 2065 Old 11-19-2005, 07:19 PM

I live in New Tazewell (did live in M'boro). I get ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, WBXX, PBS, PAX, The TUBE, UPN. All DT. I have a friend who has a larger ant that he can turn, he picks up WYMT out of KY. I only have a Square Shooter. In Middlesboro you should at least get WYMT out of Hazard. I get high 80's to high 90's in signal on my dish network 811. I see no reason for you not to get something HD in Middlesboro. I have also got PBS out of VA (Blue mtn.) when I was putting my ant up and turned it. Best of luck.
post #106 of 2065 Old 11-19-2005, 08:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpm123 View Post

Hello folks - saw a post from New Tazewell, Powell and Corbin, and curious your ability to pickup OTA-DT signals out of Knoxville? Heading down to Middlesboro, Ky for Thanksgiving w/ the family, and the little brother has a new Sony Wega HD TV, but has never seen an HD signal on it yet. Was going to take my HD tuner down to see if we can't get an OTA signal to watch one of the football games. Curious if it'll be a waste of time, or if anyone local to this area is able to get anything HD out of Knoxville.. I'm thinking Knoxville is where I'll have to pull from, but if there's HD being transmitted anywhere else in the area, I'll certainly look there as well... thanks all -

It just depends on the local geography there. If you aren't obstructed you should have a shot at Hazard WYMT DT 12 to the northwest. The same with Knoxville to the SW and Bristol to the E. Cumberland Gap may block you to the south and east. I'm on a hill with a relatively unobstructed view in all directions so I have fair luck with them all. Most likely you'll need a large outdoor antenna covering the appropriate frequency with a preamp for any of them.
post #107 of 2065 Old 11-20-2005, 09:25 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I don't know for sure. I've been to Middlesboro many times, and I would guess that it would be a very difficult area for OTA reception and would require pulling out all the stops with a tower, stacked deep fringe UHF Yagi type antennas, and a rotator. Does the local cable company offer any OTA digital HD signals? Could he also get a waiver for satellite reception of the network HDTV signals?
Larry
post #108 of 2065 Old 11-20-2005, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Raulston View Post

Does the local cable company offer any OTA digital HD signals? Could he also get a waiver for satellite reception of the network HDTV signals?
Larry

I doubt the cable co. offers anything. There's no mention of it here yet. I assume it's Charter down there.

D* may offer HD DNS in M'boro. I get all 4 networks here without need for waivers.

I was able to receive WATE-DT,WBIR-DT, and WYMT-DT with a CM 4228 and a Stealthtenna for vhf into a CM 7777 when I first started. This was mounted initially via an eave mount on my garage.

It all depends on local terrain issues, but the Gap may indeed block most locations in Middlesboro to the south and east.
post #109 of 2065 Old 11-20-2005, 03:07 PM

well, I appreciate the feedback. I do belive the Gap may indeed prove to be difficult. On top of that, he lives in an area that's heavily wooded, at the base of a mountainous ridge.

No outside antenna mounted, and I was going to take my ANT200 RCA settop antenna. Doubt that's going to work. May give it a try just for grins. Charter is the cable co in the area, and they're not offering any HD content, and no ETA on when such service will be available. Doubt it'd be worth their time and cost on rebuild efforts.

Appreciate the input and hope everyone has a good Thanksgiving -
post #110 of 2065 Old 11-27-2005, 07:31 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Does anybody live near Spring City and recieve any signal from the Knoxville area?
thanks
post #111 of 2065 Old 11-29-2005, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 61
This question was posted before and I never saw an answer for it. So I'll post it again.

Is there a way to pull a recorded HD program saved on a Comcast DVR box to a laptop or some other method? I have one thing saved that I'd love to get to a laptop or even on a DVD.
post #112 of 2065 Old 11-29-2005, 09:54 AM

best bet is to go into the HD recorders forum and look in the thread for your dvr

XboxLive Gamertag : FocusHealth
post #113 of 2065 Old 12-01-2005, 11:31 AM

Anyone getting POOR signal strength on WVLT (ch 8-1) CBS Knoxville over the last few days?I've always had a decent signal on all the locals,but WVLT is down from a solid 71 to 45-50 and constantly breaking up.
post #114 of 2065 Old 12-01-2005, 12:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aVOLanche View Post

Anyone getting POOR signal strength on WVLT (ch 8-1) CBS Knoxville over the last few days?I've always had a decent signal on all the locals,but WVLT is down from a solid 71 to 45-50 and constantly breaking up.

I have had the same problem w/ 8-1.
post #115 of 2065 Old 12-01-2005, 01:00 PM

rhcorolla,were you getting a good signal before the last week or so?I've had a good one for 2 years and now this. Thanks!
BTW,I called and have left 2 messages for Doug Stallard (WVLT's chief engineer),but he has ignored my requests for a return phone call.
post #116 of 2065 Old 12-01-2005, 01:35 PM

I have had a weaker signal also. Notice more pixelation
post #117 of 2065 Old 12-02-2005, 10:57 AM
Advanced Member

aVOLanche,

I've only had my Panny plasma HDTV for a couple of months, but was getting 70- 80% signal strength for 8-1 (& all other HD channels) using RS rabbit ears & an adjustable in-line attenuator (thanks to cpcat). I've been having trouble lately w/ 6-1. And the tube 43-2 has terrible pixelation. I'm assuming that I'm getting some interference w/ wind & trees, etc.. My next step is to put a modest antenna in the attic, although I m playing around w/ the idea of trying out a cablecard thru Comcast for basic channels first....

VVV good to know Codeman, thanks. VVV
post #118 of 2065 Old 12-02-2005, 11:20 AM

Pixelation of The Tube is probably not due to local interference - it looks that way on Comcast Digital.
post #119 of 2065 Old 12-05-2005, 05:30 PM

For those folks in the Charter cable area, I just got word from the WATE.com Forum Admin that an agreement has been reached and WATE-DT will be on Charter soon. So now we'll only have to bug Charter for ... TNT, Universal HD, Starz HD,....
post #120 of 2065 Old 12-20-2005, 07:50 PM
AVS Special Member

I've listed this plasma at AVS marketplace if anyone's interested.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=619905
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page