Knoxville, TN - HDTV - Page 49 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1441 of 2040 Old 04-05-2010, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 42
I remember it. We always had a hard time getting that station to come in. I think they were NBC at the time before switching to CBS when WBIR wanted to be a NBC station. If I'm not mistaken, WATE was NBC and switched with WTVK when they were ABC.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1442 of 2040 Old 04-15-2010, 07:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
WTSK, WTVK, WKXT, WVLT

Operating on UHF since their October 18, 1953 sign-on, using at first the call letters of WTSK-26 and network affiliation with both CBS and DuMont, the station was at a reception disadvantage when compared to WATE and WBIR, both operating on VHF frequencies. To further limit their reception capabilities, WTSK operated at a mere 21.9kw. Most people did not have the converter box needed to tune a UHF station. This was years before sets were required to have both a VHF and UHF tuner built-in.

July 28, 1954 WTSK, owned by TV Service of Knoxville, was sold to South Central Communications for $300,000 and assumption of liabilities not to exceed $216,000. With a new owner, the call letters were changed to WTVK.

In the 1960's the facility was rebuilt to include color studio equipment, a more powerful transmitter, and a taller tower.

In the 1970's, WTVK-26 was the ABC affiliate for the Knoxville market. It was operating from the tallest tower, for much of that decade, from their stick on the east end of Sharp's Ridge. WTVK, my employer back then, had a 5000kw signal (that's the maximum). We received numerous letters from people indicating reception problems. Many of these could be explained by the letter writer having a VHF only antenna in use.

WATE-6 erected a taller tower in the mid 70's surpassing the height of the WTVK-26 and WBIR-10 towers. WBIR moved their tower site to the east edge of the Knoxvile area, but later brought it back to Sharp's Ridge.

South Central Communications, the owner of WTVK, applied to the FCC for a short-spaced allocation to operated on VHF channel 8. This would take a special rule making procedure because channel 8 was already in use in the Nashville and Atlanta markets, normally to close to Knoxville for a channel 8 station on Sharp's Ridge. The application simmered for years, until finally authorized for WTVK to move from channel 26 to channel 8, which took place in the late 1980's. Along with the change of frequency, WTVK requested a new call sign, WKXT-8. Some years later the WVLT-8 calls were authorized for use.

Wanting a strong FCC to say no to the Wireless lobby. Keep the tv broadcast band for ota television broadcasters.
post #1443 of 2040 Old 04-15-2010, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdvegas View Post

WTVK to move from channel 26 to channel 8, which took place in the early 1980's.

It was 1988.

But great summary of the station's history!

Sub-1080p/60fps is not next-gen.

Console gamers curious/interested in PC gaming? Click here.
post #1444 of 2040 Old 04-24-2010, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Knocksville TN, capitol por republica de Polezannia
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I was sittin' here watching the Braves in inglourious SD on Crumcast's 58 and the announcers mentioned HD, Knoxville, and Comcast channel 124. Does anybody get the Braves in HD on that channel yet? ....I got channel not available when I tried it on my Cablecard equipped Tivo.

In real life I am Dot Mongur champion of the International Pacman Federation. I don't play the game, I operate it.....no dot is safe from me....

post #1445 of 2040 Old 04-29-2010, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael Bellomy View Post

I was sittin' here watching the Braves in inglourious SD on Crumcast's 58 and the announcers mentioned HD, Knoxville, and Comcast channel 124. Does anybody get the Braves in HD on that channel yet? ....I got channel not available when I tried it on my Cablecard equipped Tivo.

Bump.....anybody?

In real life I am Dot Mongur champion of the International Pacman Federation. I don't play the game, I operate it.....no dot is safe from me....

post #1446 of 2040 Old 04-30-2010, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

I've been Comcast-free for almost 2 years for that very reason.
post #1447 of 2040 Old 04-30-2010, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRM4 View Post

I've been Comcast-free for almost 2 years for that very reason.

When my two years of $99 a month for the Triple Play package is up, I'm quite certain I'll be Crumcast-free again... I'd really like to watch the Braves' epic losing streak in HD...

post #1448 of 2040 Old 04-30-2010, 09:42 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
We dropped comcast almost a year ago. Wife a big Cubs fan. So we purchased MLB.tv. We can watch any ballgame live except for Brave and Reds. they are blacked out because knoxville considered their market. Watching the Live feed of Cubs and Milwaukee, the other day. You can select which stream you want to watch. Home or Away. Home Feed was "CUBs" Comcast Sport in Standard Def. Switch to Milwaukee feed, it was in Hi Def. So we watch the away teams feed. this is in Chicago. Cannot believe they would even think about broadcasting in Standard Def.
post #1449 of 2040 Old 04-30-2010, 10:59 AM
Advanced Member

They don't. All CSN games are in HD. MLB.TV probably wasn't picking up the HD feed.
post #1450 of 2040 Old 05-03-2010, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael Bellomy View Post

Bump.....anybody?

Nope. I was at a Nashville Predators playoff game a couple of weeks ago and that was the channel they just added SportSouth to in the Nashville market. Previously, they didn't have the channel at all. It would be very nice to get it in HD through Comcast because I have abandoned my Dish Network experiment due to awful picture quality on the sports channels, the fact that the HD regional sports channels are part time channels that Dish can turn on and off at a whim (sometimes before the game is over...) and I just grew to not like it. The Braves look much better on CSS HD and FS South HD on Comcast than Dish by far. I only had the Peachtree games in HD on Dish because I had "moved" my service address to Atlanta.

SportSouth HD is the only missing piece of the puzzle. The Predators looking like a blurry blocky mess on Dish sealed it for me though. Too bad I have to sit through the poor quality of WVLT to watch the Titans in the Fall. Comcast may not be known for superb quality, but they are better than Dish and don't recompress quite a few channels which makes those channels look excellent. It was like a haze was lifted especially since I got a larger 1080p tv and Dish resizes all 1920x1080 channels to 1440x1080 as a rule. DirecTV is not an option because I have had bad experiences with them when I cancelled their service a couple of years ago and they hit my bank account for near $500 claiming I never returned receivers when I never even had the chance to because the charge was initiated one day after they supposedly sent the recovery box. Needless to say, I wouldn't mind if space trash destroyed their entire fleet of satellites. I think I'll stick with cable.
post #1451 of 2040 Old 05-03-2010, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Auh...thanks CardassianVol, the announcer must of meant Nashville but he said Knoxville. This damn state is just full of 'Villes... Anybody could make that mistake...

post #1452 of 2040 Old 05-04-2010, 02:06 PM

Cool! WATE is now showing Oprah in HD!
post #1453 of 2040 Old 05-04-2010, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

In the past week, WATE has quit dropping down to SD for their weather scrolls. They're making progress.

post #1454 of 2040 Old 05-06-2010, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMUBill View Post

Cool! WATE is now showing Oprah in HD!

Interesting. I saw Ellen was being shown in HD. Isn't that technically a NBC show?
post #1455 of 2040 Old 05-06-2010, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricknknox View Post

We dropped comcast almost a year ago. Wife a big Cubs fan. So we purchased MLB.tv. We can watch any ballgame live except for Brave and Reds. they are blacked out because knoxville considered their market. Watching the Live feed of Cubs and Milwaukee, the other day. You can select which stream you want to watch. Home or Away. Home Feed was "CUBs" Comcast Sport in Standard Def. Switch to Milwaukee feed, it was in Hi Def. So we watch the away teams feed. this is in Chicago. Cannot believe they would even think about broadcasting in Standard Def.

Later this month, DirecTV is adding WGN HD. Cubs' fans should be thrilled.

If you're a sports fan, the best way to go is DirecTV. I grew tired of not having certain things with Comcast or getting something one time and not getting it the next with that channel 401 or whichever one it was. I know before I switched, there'd be a Big 10 Network game on that channel one week and a FSN Big 12 game the next week. There was no rhyme or reason to it. Now, I get both and then some without adding any kind of extra packages.
post #1456 of 2040 Old 05-07-2010, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Did anyone else have an audio problem with WVLT last night during the first 15 minutes of CSI? We had no sound at all. We recorded it on the DVR, so I couldn't switch to OTA to see if it was a station or DVR issue.
post #1457 of 2040 Old 05-07-2010, 03:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Did anyone else have an audio problem with WVLT last night during the first 15 minutes of CSI? We had no sound at all. We recorded it on the DVR, so I couldn't switch to OTA to see if it was a station or DVR issue.

I get them over the air. They had problems with glitching all afternoon yesterday. At one point they went blank for some period. I watched news on another channel and gave up on them for the day.

post #1458 of 2040 Old 05-12-2010, 08:22 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
WVLT has been very weak for the past two weeks. I think they share a tower with WKOP which is doing well. I seems a waste of time to contact them since they alway just blame the viewer and say move your antenna. It can't be the viewers fault when WVLT and WKOP are on the same tower at the same height. WKOP is operating at lower power as well.
post #1459 of 2040 Old 05-12-2010, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by onslowtn View Post

WVLT has been very weak for the past two weeks. I think they share a tower with WKOP which is doing well. I seems a waste of time to contact them since they alway just blame the viewer and say move your antenna. It can't be the viewers fault when WVLT and WKOP are on the same tower at the same height. WKOP is operating at lower power as well.

Thanks for posting this, I've noticed it also.

I installed a TiVo Premiere, so I thought the problem might be the tuner in the TiVo -- but that wouldn't explain why I get upper 90s on stations other than channel 8.

Sub-1080p/60fps is not next-gen.

Console gamers curious/interested in PC gaming? Click here.
post #1460 of 2040 Old 05-18-2010, 07:43 AM

Quote:

Later this month, DirecTV is adding WGN HD. Cubs' fans should be thrilled.

If you're a sports fan, the best way to go is DirecTV. I grew tired of not having certain things with Comcast or getting something one time and not getting it the next with that channel 401 or whichever one it was. I know before I switched, there'd be a Big 10 Network game on that channel one week and a FSN Big 12 game the next week. There was no rhyme or reason to it. Now, I get both and then some without adding any kind of extra packages.

The channel was 401 that you are referencing, and it used to be awful and pointless, but now it has become FS Tennessee full time and generally shows what it is supposed to. It does have an incorrect listing when the Grizzlies and Hawks play quite a few times though. The Hawks will come on instead, even though the Grizzlies will be listed for that time slot. Too bad SportSouth isn't on Comcast in HD.

Despite my previous posting about the evils of DirecTV's billing deparment, my Comcast has become unreliable and I have missed a few important calls and had a few messed up recordings. I have now gone the AT&T way with DirecTV included. This was unlikely, but Comcast has been unresponsive about fixing my problem and even missed an appointment. They seem more concerned with the new building down the street. So, as of tomorrow morning, DirecTV has suckered me back with two HD DVRs and multiroom viewing to share the recordings between DVR boxes. I guess I'll call off the space trash and fleet destroying. I feel dirty. lol.

I have heard they are adding ESPNU HD, Travel HD, MSNBC HD, WGN America HD and Hallmark Movie Channel HD tomorrow too. If so, I'll be delighted to not lose ESPNU and Travel in HD. The addition of SportSouth HD won't hurt either.

Now, WVLT needs to fix their freaking channel. I am about tired of it looking perfect one minute and then spazzing and turning into a blur party that makes me want to rub my eyes and then macroblocking everywhere. Then it will return to normal. Why? Can't you people fix this? I have lived in Knoxville since 2006 and I have seen no channel that looks as bad as WVLT when things go wrong. I will assume that they are ignoring this issue like they are ignoring their poor signal quality by pushing it off on the viewers and the station engineers are busy drinking sodas and browsing the web. If they are not ignoring it then why is it the same problem after four years, WVLT? It is also nice that you can scroll information in HD.... until it causes the blurring/macroblocking problem I talked about before.

Oh, and props to WATE for the new weather scrolling and getting Oprah in HD, even though I don't watch it. I really appreciate the weather scroll...
post #1461 of 2040 Old 05-24-2010, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

I have noticed a few more HD commercials on WBIR. I know some of these are from the parent company, some are not. Maybe corporate will spend some money and update the studio and maybe some news in HD. Hey, I can dream.
post #1462 of 2040 Old 06-03-2010, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Seeing more HD commercials on WBIR last night during their 6:00 news.
post #1463 of 2040 Old 06-04-2010, 06:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Seeing more HD commercials on WBIR last night during their 6:00 news.

I can't wait to see HD commercials for Maggie Valley, Tennessee Bridal Fair, Expressway Furniture, East Tennessee Ford, Brown Squirrel................Cas Walker.

Wanting a strong FCC to say no to the Wireless lobby. Keep the tv broadcast band for ota television broadcasters.
post #1464 of 2040 Old 06-18-2010, 09:43 AM

And now it's official.... EVERY market around Knoxville has at least one HD newscast. WCYB in Bristol started theirs yesterday.
post #1465 of 2040 Old 06-24-2010, 06:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Terrible picture quality on WVLT tonight. I was watching CSI and the PQ did not look as good as it should and has.
post #1466 of 2040 Old 06-30-2010, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMUBill View Post

And now it's official.... EVERY market around Knoxville has at least one HD newscast. WCYB in Bristol started theirs yesterday.

This market is pathetic. I wonder what their excuse is now? Certainly Knoxville stations can generate more money than the Tri Cities. Cheap. Apathetic. Satisfied. The end.

In other news, WVLT should be pulled off the air until they can get a decent encoder. I'm not sure if this is a DirecTV issue or not, but when they show CBS network programming it looks like I turned the brightness all the way up on the tv. Their local programming and other shows look normal.
post #1467 of 2040 Old 06-30-2010, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdvegas View Post

I can't wait to see HD commercials for Maggie Valley, Tennessee Bridal Fair, Expressway Furniture, East Tennessee Ford, Brown Squirrel................Cas Walker.

I can't wait to see one of these cheap assed stations join this decade and go HD. Even Jeopardy and Wheel of Fortune in HD would be nice, WBIR. We are behind every adjacent market and most of those are smaller.
post #1468 of 2040 Old 06-30-2010, 04:37 PM
AVS Special Member

OTA, channel 8 has had lots of problems lately. They've even been off-the-air a few times in recent days.

What's really pathetic for our market was the dismantling of indie channel 7. When they hit the market with HD, outclassing the majors, I thought thought that the majors would be ashamed to have them showing 'em up. I thought they'd snap into action....damn, was I wrong. I presume that Retro TV sold off all their HD equipment when they bought 'em....?

post #1469 of 2040 Old 07-01-2010, 07:20 AM
Advanced Member

WATE's parent company, Young Broadcasting, is only limping along. It's not a sure thing they will even survive the bankruptcy proceedings. WATE-6 will probably be sold off to another company, but even that is not a sure thing.

post #1470 of 2040 Old 07-06-2010, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardassianVol View Post

In other news, WVLT should be pulled off the air until they can get a decent encoder. I'm not sure if this is a DirecTV issue or not, but when they show CBS network programming it looks like I turned the brightness all the way up on the tv. Their local programming and other shows look normal.

I noticed the higher brightness of WVLT as well.

Sadly, our Knoxville stations are owned by companies that are really struggling. I don't know if any of these same companies also own the stations in Chattanooga and Tri-Cities. If they do, shame on them for not giving Knoxville HD first regarding news and syndicated programming.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page