AVS Forum banner

Knoxville, TN - HDTV

264K views 2K replies 187 participants last post by  MRM4 
#1 ·
I received an e-mail from Bob Williams, chief engineer at WATE-TV. They already have a high powered transmitter on site at their new antenna and plan to begin full powered transmissions in June or July. The new digital station will be WATE-DT 26. There was no word on whether they plan to pass through HDTV.

In a similar vein I received an e-mail from Mr. Lee, the general manager at WBIR-TV. They plan to be on the air and to start passing through some programming in May on WBIR-DT 31 from that new tower that can be seen going up on Sharp's Ridge. I assume that means they will be passing through HDTV. NBC has Jay Leno and a few other programs occasionally broadcast in HDTV, but there is a rumor that they are going to soon be broadcasting lots of HDTV.

It's time to start putting up antennas. I live in an old house which is going on 100 years old soon. I've no choice but to put an antenna in the attic in this old house which is in a very difficult multipath area. Running cables is a major hassle so I'm starting now. Updated 12-22-05

Larry

#3 ·
That's good news Larry. Unfortunately, even with an external,amplified,motorized antenna I can't get clear reception of the old analogue signals. What really pissed me off was how several of the stations would not give me a waiver for DirectTV local service because I am "supposed" to get their signals.

I'm toying with re-connecting my BUD for HDTV. If you can get OTA HDTV that will be great.

Dave

#6 ·
I have been waiting for HDTV in Knoxvile for awhile now. I live off of Cedar Bluff exit. Let us know when anyone starts getting an HD signal (if ever) and post it here with the channels...

Post em when you see em....

Thanks

#7 ·
I'm having a hard time getting WVLT OTA - anyone else with this problem. While all the other channels are fine- I have to grab the antenna and stand on my head to get it to come in-

Another question- I have regualr comcast cable- could I add a HDTV service through them without having to get digital? In other words- for a few dollars more could I just pick up all the HDTV programs?

#8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceAdler /forum/post/0

I'm having a hard time getting WVLT OTA - anyone else with this problem. While all the other channels are fine- I have to grab the antenna and stand on my head to get it to come in-

Another question- I have regualr comcast cable- could I add a HDTV service through them without having to get digital? In other words- for a few dollars more could I just pick up all the HDTV programs?

I imagine that is possible if your TV suppourts Cable-Card? You can try asking them, Crumcast, but they proably don't know either.

#9 ·

Quote:

I have regualr comcast cable- could I add a HDTV service through them without having to get digital? In other words- for a few dollars more could I just pick up all the HDTV programs?

I don't know the answer but wonder this myself. If you find out, can you post the info here please?

Thanks!

#11 ·

Quote:

It's not a TV but an Infocus 4805- Does anyone here know?

Don't know about Comcast but for Knology the answer was that you must get digital cable and use their box (or presumably a cable card). They encrypt the HDTV signals so you can't just plug your regular cable into your receiver.

For me this would've increased my bill by $25 per month. Since I can get great OTA from here I opted to go that way instead. I use a VOOM receiver to feed the OTA to my 4805 and it looks terrific. The only HD channels I am missing that Knology carries are ESPN HD and Discovery Theater HD.

#12 ·
I just joined the HDTV game... FusionHDTV on an HTPC. Anyway, isn't Monday Night Football supposed to be 16:9?

The tuner says it is 720p, but it sure doesn't look as good as I expected it would.

Gerald

#13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgmoore /forum/post/0

I just joined the HDTV game... FusionHDTV on an HTPC. Anyway, isn't Monday Night Football supposed to be 16:9?

The tuner says it is 720p, but it sure doesn't look as good as I expected it would.

Gerald

Hey ya'all, I fliped over to the game near the end and it was 4/3. Did they start out in 16/9 2-nite and flip out to local skinny mode too early?
...or worse, just show all or most in SD? Gerald, when they're doing things right...their 720p has looked good to me. I didn't get none this night...

#14 ·
I just got the fusion card last night, and it was a long time before I ever even got WATE 6.2 tuned in. For the longest time all I could get was their silly 24x7 weather station. Now talk about annoyed! All I wanted was some foo-baw!

I was glad to finally see it , but somewhat disappointed it was not HD.

How often does this kind of thing happen?

Denise Richards sure looked good on Leno.

#15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgmoore /forum/post/0

How often does this kind of thing happen?

As has been mentioned in this thread, not every program is HD yet... especially sports.

With that said, WATE and WVLT are notorious for not giving HD material on the digital signal the full importance that we wish they would.

The good news is it's getting better and will continue to improve with newer equipment and training, but it might take a year or five.

#16 ·
Understood. I noticed something tonight when I was messing around some more. On WATE, the show with Belushi came on and was in HD, but with no sound. After a few moments, I noticed the sound come on, but when I looked up the picture had gone to SD.

Now I am suffering through trying to watch baseball on Fox. It is very stuttery and keeps telling me "No Sigal" on the Fusion cards OSD.

Less than thrilled so far.

Gerald

#17 ·
If you are talking about the Yankees/Angels game then I received it perfectly. I watched the first 3 innings in perfect 720p without any dropouts.

#19 ·
Please call them every time the signal is messed up.It is the only way we can have any effect.They WILL act like it's not their fault,but usually flip the switch in a couple of minutes.

WATE ABC CH6- 637-6666

WBIR NBC CH10- 637-1010

WVLT CBS CH8- 450-8888 (Doug Stallard)

WTNZ FOX CH43- 693-4343

#20 ·
Does anyone know if WVLT ever did any of their promised testing for their signal problems? Their signal is very poor in the Hamblen/Greene County area. All other Knoxville stations are great in this area. LCOSBY said that WVLT was sharing a common antenna with WKOP 15/17 and was probably tuned more to WKOP. If WVLT had an antenna the was tuned for Ch. 30, the problem would probably be solved. WVLT does not seem to be interested in these problems.

#21 ·
I have an inside antenna and most all the channels are coming in BUT every few minutes theres static and sometimes the signal goes out completely. Also, for some channels, I have to face the antenna South East and for others more south-southwest. This seems odd as I thought I was supposed to aim it southwest for everything - WVLT doesn't show up at all if I point it Southwest.

#22 ·
Anybody know if the WBXX-20 is broadcasting any HD OTA and if so on what UHF channel the digital signal is on? I have a directional antenna in my attic pointed toward the towers on Sharp's Ridge, and I receive a very strong signal from PBS, ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC, and WMAX on 7-1 on my Directv HD Tivo, but nothing from WBXX.

Larry

#23 ·
GraceAdler.......are you in Knoxville?If you are trying to get Knoxville's OTA stations,they are all in one direction.That being said,a very small antenna movement can be vital.Have you checked signal strength?

My experience is that HDTV reception is,at best,quirky and requires experimentation(antenna movement,larger UHF antenna,etc).In general,higher is better and outdoors is better.I have a BIG antenna in the attic.It's trial and error.A compass and directional chart will help locate the broadcast antennas.You should be able to get good reception in most areas in Knoxville.

#25 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Raulston /forum/post/0

Anybody know if the WBXX-20 is broadcasting any HD OTA and if so on what UHF channel the digital signal is on? I have a directional antenna in my attic pointed toward the towers on Sharp's Ridge, and I receive a very strong signal from PBS, ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC, and WMAX on 7-1 on my Directv HD Tivo, but nothing from WBXX.

Larry

WBXX is on channel 50 but they aren't doing any HD yet. I don't think they even have a target date for it. The transmitter is near Oak Ridge.

Go to http://www.2150.com/broadcast/default.asp and put in your lat/lon coordinates for bearing to all the local towers.

Get your lat/lon at http://terraserver.microsoft.com/

Magnetic declination is around -4

#26 ·

Quote:

Thanks for all the info-

I live in North Knoxville.

Seems like Directv is most recommended- after seeing my sister's directv, I was leaning towards Comcast. Could I buy an OTA antenna to go with comcast or is that just if you already have a satelite dish?

I live in 37918 zip and have not been able to get OTA with a tree line and ridge right behind my house. And was denied all waivers applied for by the local stations. I would like them to come to my house and explain to me how I could get channels OTA without putting up a 40 ft tower to mount them on. It's a racket I think and you should make sure you have some kind of agreement if possible that if you can't get OTA you could return all equpiment and have no repercussions.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.