1Likes

post #3811 of 3839 Old 04-18-2014, 01:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by HGN2001 View Post

Have you tried just getting the audio from 3-1 and 10-1 just through the TV speakers? Try that. If you can hear it through the TV speakers, then I'd suspect your audio connection to the Denon.

Harry

You are correct, the problem seems to be with the connection to the receiver. When I disabled the audio out to the receiver and used the tv speakers both 3-1 and 10-1 played audio on track 1. I guess I'll try swapping the toslink cable out and play around with the audio settings. I can't imagine what the problem would be though, why would it only impact those two channels?

Edit: I swapped out the cables and played around with the audio settings in the Denon and Panasonic menus to no avail. I'll post in the receiver thread to see if others have this issue with the 1610.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3812 of 3839 Old 04-19-2014, 07:37 AM

Liked: 11
Cordcutter8982: I can help you out. I'm in Haddonfield. Send me a Personal Message and we can exchange contact information.
post #3813 of 3839 Old 04-26-2014, 07:33 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello,

I am 22 miles from WPVI attempting to get a signal for channel 6 without luck. So far I originally had a directional long range antennna roof mounted on a pole pointing at WPVI coordinates and nothing, but then I realized this was a UHF directional. I then switched to a UHF/VHF LAVA OmniPro HD-8008 Omni Directional antenna that was well rated with a amplifier, but still no luck with WPVI. I am looking for any suggestions. I keep seeing people speak about rabbit ears. Could they actually be a improvement over my antenna?

Anyone have any suggestions for me?

Here are specs on my current antenna. Again its pole mounted about 35 feet above the ground on roof with 25' of coax.

FM.UHF/VHF Reception
● Shield for minimum interference
● Build-in high gain and low noise amplifier.
● Anti-UV coating and waterproof design for durabilit
● 360 degree omni directional receptio on both UHF and VHF.
Frequency(VHF) 40-230MHz
Frequency(UHF) 470-862MHz
Gain(VHF) 28+/-3dB
Gain(UHF) 30+/-3dB
Impedance 75Ω
Working Voltage 110V/60Hz
DC Input 12 V
post #3814 of 3839 Old 04-26-2014, 10:03 AM

Channel 6 actually has a strong signal, if you have the right antenna. You need something capable of VHF-Lo. Channel 6 is 82-88 MHz. I see your antenna is suppose to cover 40-230MHz, but apparently not very well. These are relatively low frequencies which require a larger antenna. 

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Television_channel_frequencies#North_and_South_America_.28most_countries.29.2C_South_Korea.2C_Taiwan_and_the_Philippines.

To pick up channels 2 - 6, you need an antenna with better VHF-lo sensitivity. For example,  C290 Colorstar UHF VHF FM HD TV Antenna (C290). Sensitive VHF-Lo antennas has long elements in the back, which are tuned for VHF-Lo. 

The LAVA OmniPro HD-8008 does not look like it has any long elements, so probably has a tough time picking up channel 6. 

I live in Hamilton NJ about 38 miles from WPVI and pick up channel 6 strongly. I have a (now discontinued) Winegard HD-7080P with inline amp. I pickup channel 6 without the amp; I use the amp for coax loss.

HTH,

Alex

post #3815 of 3839 Old 04-26-2014, 02:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdaljr View Post

Hello,

I am 22 miles from WPVI attempting to get a signal for channel 6 without luck. So far I originally had a directional long range antennna roof mounted on a pole pointing at WPVI coordinates and nothing, but then I realized this was a UHF directional. I then switched to a UHF/VHF LAVA OmniPro HD-8008 Omni Directional antenna that was well rated with a amplifier, but still no luck with WPVI.
It doesn't matter what it says on the box or in the specs... I can't tell from the picture on Amazon how big that antenna is, but in order to pick up WPVI, then hold your arms out to your sides - if your antenna's longest active element (the HD-8008 seems to be a folded dipole, so that's it) isn't about the same length as the distance between your hands, it's not going to do it. Is that antenna more than a foot or two long? I easily pick up WPVI with a homemade twinlead folded dipole... see this post: http://www.avsforum.com/t/620626/philadelphia-pa-ota/3690#post_23577230 and then follow the link therein.
post #3816 of 3839 Old 04-28-2014, 06:11 AM

Quote:
It doesn't matter what it says on the box or in the specs... I can't tell from the picture on Amazon how big that antenna is, but in order to pick up WPVI, then hold your arms out to your sides - if your antenna's longest active element (the HD-8008 seems to be a folded dipole, so that's it) isn't about the same length as the distance between your hands, it's not going to do it. Is that antenna more than a foot or two long? I easily pick up WPVI with a homemade twinlead folded dipole... see this post: http://www.avsforum.com/t/620626/philadelphia-pa-ota/3690#post_23577230 and then follow the link therein.

Frank: It is about 38" wide. Could extending the width of the antenna on this antenna achieve the same results?
post #3817 of 3839 Old 04-28-2014, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdaljr View Post

Frank: It is about 38" wide. Could extending the width of the antenna on this antenna achieve the same results?
Well, that's certainly not optimal for channel 6, but better than I suspected. You really should have 65". I don't understand what you mean by "extending the width of the antenna". Is it adjustable? If so, can you adjust it to 65"? The longest dimension of the antenna should be perpendicular to the line-of-sight from you to Roxborough (that is, if your arms are the long elements, then you would be facing Roxborough). Is this indoors or outdoors? Do you have any large trees or mountains in the direction to Roxborough? What is your altitude above sea level?

If it's indoors, you might want to try my twinlead folded dipole. Mine is nailed between rafters in my attic.

Channel 6 CAN be a challenge, no doubt about it. Fortunately for all of us, they quadrupled their power several weeks after going on the air digital.
post #3818 of 3839 Old 04-29-2014, 05:16 AM

It is outdoor antenna mounted rooftop. My ground altitude is 175' so antenna is mounted at about 200' above sea level. No mountains, I am actually on a bit of a hill so not any ground interference, but there are surrounding trees a few hundred feet away that are higher and have slight LOS issues between me and roxborough.

It is not adjustable but the antenna has 14" metal pieces, almost like wings on each side. I didn't know if it could be beneficial to solder or weld extensions to them of some wire or metal to increase to the 66" you mentioned, or if that would even work.
post #3819 of 3839 Old 04-29-2014, 06:29 AM
AVS Special Member

No, don't try to modify it - it's a folded dipole and messing with its design would most likely make it worse, not better. Size is important but not something you can hack.

At just 22 miles from the towers and with that kind of altitude, I can't even imagine what the problem is unless the antenna is defective or improperly aimed, or your signal is getting killed by those trees (this time of the year, they should be pretty bare). You should be able to pick up a marginal (though not good enough to watch on a permanent basis) signal from 6 with just a cheap unamplified rabbit ears dipole extended nearly horizontally to about 28" on each side, even if just near the TV, not on the roof, because you're already quite elevated. Often, amplified antennas are just a gimmick, and you're better off without their (inferior) amp.

Note that your antenna claims to be omni-directional, which translates into low gain and low immunity to multi-path. Even a simple twinlead folded dipole is quite directional (though it can't distinguish front from back).

Make sure there is nothing in the path from antenna to TV that is designed to filter out the low VHF band.

I'm plumb out of suggestions at this point.
post #3820 of 3839 Old 06-07-2014, 06:53 AM

Liked: 13
I actually get WPVI-DT OTA with a Winegard SquareShooter. Zip code 19425, elevation 350'.
post #3821 of 3839 Old 06-12-2014, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

It seems that the transition to the new board format broke the links in existing posts to other posts. For example, a few posts above, I wrote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank70 View Post
It doesn't matter what it says on the box or in the specs... I can't tell from the picture on Amazon how big that antenna is, but in order to pick up WPVI, then hold your arms out to your sides - if your antenna's longest active element (the HD-8008 seems to be a folded dipole, so that's it) isn't about the same length as the distance between your hands, it's not going to do it. Is that antenna more than a foot or two long? I easily pick up WPVI with a homemade twinlead folded dipole... see this post: http://www.avsforum.com/t/620626/phi...#post_23577230 and then follow the link therein.
That link used to go to information I had posted long ago, but now it just returns to the last page. I have no idea how to find my old post. Something should be done to patch up the links so that they still work!!!
post #3822 of 3839 Old 06-12-2014, 03:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank70 View Post
It seems that the transition to the new board format broke the links in existing posts to other posts. ... Something should be done to patch up the links so that they still work!!!
Ya, the site's a bit messed up but maybe they're working out the kinks. I tried to log on the other day and it wouldn't let me because it said I didn't have my browser set to accept cookies, which was not true. The site was the old site (or format) at that time, which was probably Monday because I wanted to see if anyone else had trouble with WPVI during the latter part of Sunday night's Spurs/Heat game. I completely lost reception but it wasn't anything at my end because everything else was okay. It could have been T-storms in the area between me and Philly, but I doubt it because all other channels were fine.

I've noticed that when PVI is getting the ESPN feed, like it was on Sunday nite, it's often full of glitches and such. So that might have been it.

And as to this new site/format, when I logged on just now it wasn't a problem any longer... BUT ...

It didn't take me to the Philly OTA page -- it took me to the main page instead. WTF? I want to log in and go back to the page I started at

Duh!

They're probably working on that as well.

Zap2it recently changed it's "format" and it took a few weeks for them to work out all the kinks and get it working for me with my Firefox browser. They had it pretty good with Google Chrome, but not with Firefox. But now they seem to have gotten it together.

Hopefully these guys will as well.

So .... LET ME LOG IN AND GO BACK TO MY PRIOR PAGE!

Thank you for your anticipated cooperation.
post #3823 of 3839 Old 07-22-2014, 03:21 PM

Liked: 1
Antenna suddenly not working

Went away on vacation the week of 7/12-7/20 and when I came back my antenna is not working. Anyone else having issues?
post #3824 of 3839 Old 07-22-2014, 04:47 PM

Liked: 1
Ran a new line from the antenna to the amplifying splitter and it works better than before I left. Maybe it got kinked at some point. Go figure.
Ken.F likes this.
post #3825 of 3839 Old 07-22-2014, 07:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 232
In that case, would you like to rewire mine?

Welcome home, and welcome to AVS.

Downloadable FREE demo discs:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1475769/de...ently-authored 

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
post #3826 of 3839 Old 08-11-2014, 10:46 PM

Newbie trying to use OTA..

I am new to the OTA stuff in the US (had used antenna in my country when we only had 2 channels).. So looking at some help here.. Based on google, I went to tvfool to figure what channels will I get.

Result from tvfool for ZIP Code 19425, Chester Springs PA is :

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...ec2fc809a0bbe9

a. What type of installation should I go with based on these results? Indoor/Roof mounted or attic mounted?
b. Also, what direction should the antenna be pointed towards (I do not have any trees in line of sight) ? My family room faces NE and that is where my television is. So would an indoor installer be right to get the correct direction or I should go outside?
c. If I cannot do myself then, I would employ an installer but first want to try it myself.

Any help is appreciated.
post #3827 of 3839 Old 08-12-2014, 05:03 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 0
If i was your situation i wouldn't try indoor antenna your signal is being deflected hence you have 1 edge reception so indoor antenna would not be viable for your situation.
you probably want to share signal to other tv sets, your best bet would be a small outdoor antenna like this one http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?mc=03&p=HBU11&d=Antennacraft-by-RadioShack-HBU11-13element-HighBand-VHF--UHF-Outdoor-HDTV-Antenna-%28HBU11%29&c=TV%20Antennas&sku=
post #3828 of 3839 Old 08-12-2014, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

That antenna may fit in your attic. I wouldn't be happy climbing on my roof, but I had no (okay, maybe a little ) trouble getting an antenna in my attic. Running the cable is the PITA. You may want some help from an electrician with that, which will still be easier/cheaper than roof mounting. That said, roof mounting will bring in more signals.
It looks like just aiming at 111 will get you just about everything you could want. That's probably the "antenna farm" in Roxboro. If you want to go nuts, you can add a rotor later, but I don't think that will be necessary.

post #3829 of 3839 Old 08-12-2014, 11:47 AM

Liked: 11
I concur with the full size attic or rooftop installation suggestions.

I'm in south Jersey, 17 mile from the antenna farm. I couldn't get consistent reception on VHF (ABC-6 and PBS-12 and UHF channels with ANY indoor antenna. I tried about five or so models.

I ended up with a chimney mounted Antenna Craft 5884 UHF/VHF antenna. All is well.The tuner on my TiVo Roamio is better than a Premiere but still not good enough to pick up PBS-23 in New Jersey. The chimney mounted antenna cleaned up my CBS-3 problems so my wife doesn't complain about Survivor or Sunday Morning dropping out.

I know finding someone to roof mount and run coax is difficult and expensive, I spent $300, but the cost is worth it when you look at the price of pay television. At $188 per month for FIOS, my break even point was seven months of cord cutting. That paid for a Blu-ray player, Roku, TiVo Premiere, Antenna and labor.

Cheers, Michael

Michael from the Cheryl and Mike Show
post #3830 of 3839 Old 08-12-2014, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Howdy, neighbor.

I had trouble with channels 6 and 12 with all the flat indoor antennas I tried, which is why I went with a full-sized one in the attic (I'm pretty sure it's the one you link). The trick is VHS-LO, which is, apparently, not always part of the antenna spec. I don't have problems now with 6 or 12; I even get 2 on a good day.

I'm using a SiliconeDust HomeRunHD.

Good luck, tvspriya.

post #3831 of 3839 Old 08-13-2014, 04:34 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvspriya View Post
I am new to the OTA stuff in the US (had used antenna in my country when we only had 2 channels).. So looking at some help here.. Based on google, I went to tvfool to figure what channels will I get.

Result from tvfool for ZIP Code 19425, Chester Springs PA is :

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...ec2fc809a0bbe9

a. What type of installation should I go with based on these results? Indoor/Roof mounted or attic mounted?
b. Also, what direction should the antenna be pointed towards (I do not have any trees in line of sight) ? My family room faces NE and that is where my television is. So would an indoor installer be right to get the correct direction or I should go outside?
c. If I cannot do myself then, I would employ an installer but first want to try it myself.

Any help is appreciated.
I live in Chester Springs, and I went with a roof-mounted Winegard Square Shooter with amplifier. Works great - the only channel I don't get is WXXI (12).
post #3832 of 3839 Old 08-13-2014, 09:23 PM

Thank you all so much. I will definitely try the roof mounted or Chimney mounted one.. I guess it is better to find someone to install it.. Any recommendations? I did try to google but could not find installers for OTA antenna.. Is it hard to do it yourself on the roof?
post #3833 of 3839 Old 08-19-2014, 04:45 AM
Advanced Member

WYBE is down, again

No signal at all on any of the four subchannels. What gives?
post #3834 of 3839 Old 08-19-2014, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by otaguy View Post
No signal at all on any of the four subchannels. What gives?
No signal here either. You might want to send them an email at tech@mindtv.org.
post #3835 of 3839 Old 08-19-2014, 04:22 PM
Advanced Member

WYBE / MiND back on the air

Looks like they got it fixed some time this afternoon.
post #3836 of 3839 Old 08-27-2014, 10:35 AM

I recently cut the cord and am having a hard time getting my OTA set up for WPVI (6ABC)

I originally purchased this
http://www.amazon.com/Homeworx-HW110.../dp/B008KVUAGU

but learned I need a different antenna for VHF so I picked up this cheap guy
http://www.walmart.com/ip/RCA-UHF-VH...roduct+Reviews

I'm getting all other channels perfectly, but still no ABC - I only really need this for the occasional NBA game or other live event so it's not urgent but I'd like to get it working

TVFool Report here http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...ec2f3d8c3c812f

Currently sitting indoors on a second story window sill - the 2 dipoles are approximately 12" apart from one another, extended all the way out (36")

any help is appreciated, thanks
post #3837 of 3839 Old 08-27-2014, 04:43 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Dipoles should be extended 32 inches on each side try to keep antenna from any metal surface near the window preferably, I use rabbit ears to get pvi.
post #3838 of 3839 Old 08-27-2014, 04:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timdastis View Post
Currently sitting indoors on a second story window sill - the 2 dipoles are approximately 12" apart from one another, extended all the way out (36")

any help is appreciated, thanks
Yes, WPVI can be a b***h; welcome to the club.

First try this - instead of 12" apart, spread the antenna dipoles out horizontally, like if you held your arms out to the sides. Adjust each side to 33 inches from the center. Now, if you're the antenna with your arms out at your sides, face the magnetic bearing of the station - 337 degrees (that's a little west of north.) Use a compass. Orient the antenna the same way. This will probably leave your antenna in an awkward position and orientation, but that will give you the best reception you're gonna get on channel 6 indoors with that antenna. See if your WPVI reception is acceptable or not with this setup. Your window may be facing the wrong way, or there may be buildings, or large trees blocking the line-of-sight that TV Fool doesn't know about.

Don't forget to re-scan (or add new channels or manual scan) to attempt to get WPVI into your channel list.

If that doesn't work, you need to go higher. If you have access to your attic (or you're building's attic), see these posts. Works for me but I'm a tad less than 20 miles from Roxborough.

Philadelphia, PA - OTA and
Philadelphia, PA - OTA

One last thing about attic installation. TV signals will travel through most roofing materials ok, but if the direction you need to point (337 degrees) is through the sided ends of the attic and foil-faced sheathing was used under the siding, you're out of luck unless you move up on the roof.

Good luck.

Last edited by frank70; Yesterday at 04:24 AM.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page