Philadelphia, PA - OTA - Page 129 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #3841 of 3855 Old 09-26-2014, 12:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Pretty much, get a set of rabbit ears for pvi, also get uvsj from solidsignal to join both signals.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3842 of 3855 Old 09-29-2014, 10:13 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Thanks. I'll check it out.

Also had some weirdness with Fox 29 last night before Simpsons/Family Guy, but the signal jumped back up to 85% once I turned the XBox off.

This isn't Philly specific so maybe I shouldn't ask here, but real quick, could a device cause interference even if it's asleep? I have both the XBox One and Wii U beneath the TV (and an audio receiver that currently isn't plugged in). Will either of them cause interference with the Mohu Leaf when "powered down?" (They're basically asleep when you hit the Power button. I think they'd have to be unplugged to fully power down).

I felt like Fox 29's reception got better once I simply "turned off" the XBox One, but I was curious if that reception would get even better if the device was unplugged.
post #3843 of 3855 Old 09-30-2014, 04:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by PogueSquadron View Post
TV Fool report is here.
This TV Fool link is for Colorado, not Eagleville.
post #3844 of 3855 Old 10-10-2014, 06:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
MiND considering going off the air

This is bad news. Yesterday I got the following email:
Greetings!

I trust you are enjoying MiND's unique combination of international, music, documentary and short-form programming. We are contemplating some changes, so we are scheduling a series of viewer-input telephone conference calls next week. I hope you will find an hour to join us (the schedule is below).

Last week, the FCC (the Federal government agency which controls TV and radio licenses) contacted every TV station in the U.S. The FCC wants to purchase many TV broadcast licenses in order to supply wireless telephone carriers (such as Verizon, Sprint, AT&T, etc.) with additional bandwidth. This bandwidth will enable better cell phone service and improved video-on-demand on mobile devices.

As you may know, our TV license is owned and operated by a nonprofit organization. The decision to continue as a broadcaster will be made by this organization's Board of Directors. This is completely our organization's decision. The government agency is simply making an offer to all stations; some stations will choose to accept the offer, and some will not.

The television industry is changing. Many of the programs seen on MiND's channels are also available on the Internet, Netflix, and through other sources. As a result, we are beginning to question whether we should continue as a television station.

If we decide to stop broadcasting, we plan to invest the funds to develop new and exciting forms of public media for television, the Internet and other venues. Regardless of whether we continue to operate a TV station, our mission remains the same: to help people learn and understand the world.

And if we decide to stop broadcasting, we plan to find a new home for most of the programs and MiND channels so that you will be able to continue to watch them with minimal interruption.

If you are interested in joining us for one of these conversations, please send an email to
feedback@mindtv.org with this information:

(1) Name
(2) Zip Code
(3) Email address
(4) Session you would like to attend:
Session A: Tuesday, October 14, 2PM - 3PM
Session B: Wednesday, October 15, 10AM - 11 AM
Session C: Wednesday, October 15, 4PM - 5 PM

Please note "RSVP CEO CALL" in the subject line of your e-mail. When we receive your information, we will send you the conference call phone number and a passcode to join the call.

If you have questions, or would like to schedule an individual conversation, please send an email to the above address and we'll set up a time to talk.

Thank you for watching the MiND channels, and for your willingness to participate in this important decision.

Best,
Howard Blumenthal

CEO, MiND
post #3845 of 3855 Old 10-13-2014, 11:43 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Lo-VHF Question

I've been using the RCA ANT751 for a few years and always got good reception on all channels, including RF6 (ABC) and more recently the new RF2, however, lately, I've been getting no signal at all on these 2 channels from time to time. Is anyone else noticing anything different with these 2 lo-vhf channels? I know the ANT751 is not built for lo-vhf, but I've always had reliable reception until recently. All other channels are OK.

Also, are there any ways to improve the lo-VHF signal strength with the ANT 751? I'm in a strong signal area and this antenna has always picked them up.
post #3846 of 3855 Old 10-14-2014, 04:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWS View Post
Also, are there any ways to improve the lo-VHF signal strength with the ANT 751? I'm in a strong signal area and this antenna has always picked them up.
Is it in an attic (where you can get at it conveniently) or on the roof? If you can reasonably access it, you might try extending the longest active element (looks like the one in the back is active, but I can't quite tell from the photos of this unit) by about 2 feet on each side using some stiff copper wire (e.g.: 12 gauge solid THHN from the hardware store). The wavelengths of VHF-LO require considerably longer dipole elements than VHF-HI or UHF.
post #3847 of 3855 Old 10-14-2014, 06:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank70 View Post
Is it in an attic (where you can get at it conveniently) or on the roof? If you can reasonably access it, you might try extending the longest active element (looks like the one in the back is active, but I can't quite tell from the photos of this unit) by about 2 feet on each side using some stiff copper wire (e.g.: 12 gauge solid THHN from the hardware store). The wavelengths of VHF-LO require considerably longer dipole elements than VHF-HI or UHF.
Would that work without modifying the reflector and director elements?
post #3848 of 3855 Old 10-14-2014, 08:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post
Would that work without modifying the reflector and director elements?
Antenna design is a black art - I'm simply suggesting a hack that "might" work for Joe. His antenna does not appear particularly sophisticated and he's in a strong signal area; so the point was, if he can get at it easily, it's something that's simple and worth a try, not something that's going to turn it magically into a full-fledged VHF-LO antenna. We've got folks here that swear by paperclip and coat hanger antennas

I might also add that Joe should also try rotating the antenna slightly in each direction to see if that helps.

Last edited by frank70; 10-14-2014 at 08:14 PM.
post #3849 of 3855 Old 10-15-2014, 04:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank70 View Post
Antenna design is a black art - I'm simply suggesting a hack that "might" work for Joe. His antenna does not appear particularly sophisticated and he's in a strong signal area; so the point was, if he can get at it easily, it's something that's simple and worth a try, not something that's going to turn it magically into a full-fledged VHF-LO antenna. We've got folks here that swear by paperclip and coat hanger antennas

I might also add that Joe should also try rotating the antenna slightly in each direction to see if that helps.
Thanks. I don't mean to hijack Joe's conversation but I have the same antenna in my attic and VHF 6 and 12 are the weakest channels. Some day if I get some time I might try extending the elements and see what happens.
post #3850 of 3855 Old 10-15-2014, 12:28 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
If anyone has some specific ideas on adding some lo-VHF gain to the ANT751, I'd be willing to try it. Also, there was an antenna I remember seeing on one of the antenna websites a year or so ago. It was exactly like the ANT751 with an additional element or 2 for lo-VHF. The front end was identical to the 751. Does anyone remember seeing this and recall the maker?
post #3851 of 3855 Old Yesterday, 08:02 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWS View Post
I've been using the RCA ANT751 for a few years and always got good reception on all channels, including RF6 (ABC) and more recently the new RF2, however, lately, I've been getting no signal at all on these 2 channels from time to time. Is anyone else noticing anything different with these 2 lo-vhf channels? I know the ANT751 is not built for lo-vhf, but I've always had reliable reception until recently. All other channels are OK.

I also have an ANT751 mounted in my attic. I am exactly 30 miles from the Roxborough towers (Douglassville). I would get 85% signal strength on 6.1 (ABC) and ~60% signal strength on the 2's (MeTV, Grit and Escape). The 2's would blip out occasionally but were still completely watchable.

However, starting a few nights ago I can no longer get a consistent picture on MeTV, Grit or Escape (2.1, 2.2 and 2.3). They are completely pixelated and unwatchable. I thought it may just be weather related however this morning (Oct. 19 @ 10:30am), the weather is perfect and I still face the same issue. 6.1 (ABC) still comes in strong as ever but the 2's remain the same.

I also have an HDHomerun and I noticed an oddity with it. When I launch the config app for the hdhomerun and navigate to 2.1, my signal strength is still in the 60% range, but, the Symbol Quality is 0%. This was never the case before. 6.1 stills clocks in a 86% Signal Quality and 100% Symbol Quality.

Did KJWP (2.1, 2.2 and 2.3) make some kind of change recently? My only other thought is the wind...it has been pretty strong this morning. Could that be a factor? I tend to think not since it has never caused a problem before.

John
post #3852 of 3855 Old Yesterday, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
It was exactly like the ANT751 with an additional element or 2 for lo-VHF. The front end was identical to the 751. Does anyone remember seeing this and recall the maker?
That was likely the Winegard HD7000R which has been discontinued. You *might* get lucky and find someone who still has it in stock.

For very little money, you can get an AntennaCraft AC-9 and it will support short-range VHF, both low and high band as well as some UHF. You'll probably have to also order or supply a balun, I forget.
post #3853 of 3855 Old Yesterday, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 263
I'm getting this at the moment, though Symbol Quality sometimes fluctuates dramatically.

Watchable as of 11:30.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2014-10-19 at 11.26.36 AM.png
Views:	6
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	319690  

Downloadable FREE demo discs:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1475769/de...ently-authored 

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
post #3854 of 3855 Old Yesterday, 09:33 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LastButNotLeast View Post
I'm getting this at the moment, though Symbol Quality sometimes fluctuates dramatically.

Watchable as of 11:30.
This is what I am up against. Honestly, I never took notice to what the Signal Quality was previously when it was working fine. But you can see that the Symbol Quality is 0%.

post #3855 of 3855 Old Yesterday, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 263
Might want to peek in the attic and make sure the antenna/wire hasn't moved/fallen.
Hopefully, it's something simple.

Downloadable FREE demo discs:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1475769/de...ently-authored 

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page