Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #361 of 3839 Old 12-18-2006, 01:03 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm in Trappe, PA (NW suburbs) and I haven't been able to get WHYY since their frequency change either. I do get WNJS and the Reading stations. I'm surprised, as I did get WHYY on 55 and 50 should propagate better over nearby hills.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 3839 Old 12-18-2006, 04:44 PM
AVS Special Member

FM Trap gone wild (leviton 25db amp) ? Over summer had some regular troubles receiving some channels, finally decided to flip the trap switch (recalling I had to do that in spring to make things alright) and things were good most of the summer. Then had troubles and decided to flip the switch again. Fixed things pretty good.

past few days, 2 channels were really giving me problems. As a joke i told my wife let me go up and flip the switch. Well it works. But the problem is, it's not 'consistent.' For example, yesterday morning the trap was on, then a bit later I had to turn it off and repeat and rinse

Basically, when my channel didnt come in, i flipped the switch to the other position and it makes the station come in. It appears it doesnt really matter that it's on or off but that I moved it. Sounds very strange. Could it be a 'bad' trap. The unit sits on a 25 ft run from the roof, in the attic, then a 75 ft run to my tivos.

57 inch Hitachi 57F710S
Tivo Premiere w/DB8 antenna which gets in VHF 6
Sony T60 2-160 drives unsubbed
Panasonic E80 Dvd recorder
post #363 of 3839 Old 12-18-2006, 11:46 PM - Thread Starter

I was able to fix my problem of not getting WTXF-DT in. I bought a small UHF antenna for the back of the TV. When I know I am only going to watch Fox 29.1, I plug it in and turn it to receive the channel - like I did for this past weekend's football games. When I am done, I just plug the coax to my rooftop antenna back in. It's annoying, but it works. Can't wait for Spring!
post #364 of 3839 Old 12-19-2006, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newsman View Post

I was able to fix my problem of not getting WTXF-DT in. I bought a small UHF antenna for the back of the TV. When I know I am only going to watch Fox 29.1, I plug it in and turn it to receive the channel - like I did for this past weekend's football games. When I am done, I just plug the coax to my rooftop antenna back in. It's annoying, but it works. Can't wait for Spring!

I had a similar problem. I aimed my antenna to point directly at Roxborough which brought most of the stations in strong. Fox 29.1 and WCAU 10.1 would have intermitant but frequent dropouts, or so I thought. I put a spectrum analyzer on the antenna feed and saw that these signals were so strong they were overloading the receiver. I put a 6dB in-line attenuator in the feed to the receiver and now all of the channels are stable.
post #365 of 3839 Old 12-19-2006, 05:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It's annoying, but it works. Can't wait for Spring!

I could never do that (especially since i have tivo lol). You are a very patient to go through all that and fox should send you a hat or something.

I cant imagine watching live tv anymore and i dread the holiday in law visit where they have no tivo!

57 inch Hitachi 57F710S
post #366 of 3839 Old 12-19-2006, 03:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by newsposter View Post

I could never do that (especially since i have tivo lol). You are a very patient to go through all that and fox should send you a hat or something.

I cant imagine watching live tv anymore and i dread the holiday in law visit where they have no tivo!

Well, I have solution for receiving channels on TIVO as well. Since my Tivo doesn't tune to digital OTA stations on my Dish Network receiver, I connected a separate coax antenna connection directly to my Tivo and chose the "Satellite & Antenna" option on the Tivo box. So, I get my locals directly from my antenna, and all my sat channels from the DN box, using S-Video connections into the Tivo unit.
post #367 of 3839 Old 12-19-2006, 03:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjt08 View Post

I had a similar problem. I aimed my antenna to point directly at Roxborough which brought most of the stations in strong. Fox 29.1 and WCAU 10.1 would have intermitant but frequent dropouts, or so I thought. I put a spectrum analyzer on the antenna feed and saw that these signals were so strong they were overloading the receiver. I put a 6dB in-line attenuator in the feed to the receiver and now all of the channels are stable.

During the summer, I had a constant mid to upper 70s on 29.1. As the seasons changed, the signal went lower and lower. With winter, I get no signal from Fox 29.1. I wish I had your problem - too stong a signal!
post #368 of 3839 Old 12-20-2006, 05:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TraderGordo View Post

Anyway - I know I'm sort of preaching to the choir here - but any thoughts on why it seems so few people do over-the-air only? I get the strangest looks from neighbors, friends, and family when I tell them I don't have cable or satellite, just an antenna. Its as if they think its too ghetto. But I've been enjoying high definition programming now for almost 7 years, way before any of them even knew it existed, and when I ask them what shows they watch - its almost always just the regular broadcast stuff. I don't understand why people seem to think they can't live without cable or satellite? I love not having to pay da man every month and could care less about the channels I don't get. Everything looks stunning running though my home theater projector to an 8 foot screen.

I think the reason people haven't been turned onto OTA is from experience with Analog OTA. For most people, OTA is equivalent with fuzzy picture, static, and double vision. I've been a cable subscriber for most of my life (33 years old) and just recently bought an HDTV. We connect it straight into the coax and receive the major locals via QAM.

This last weekend, I decided to try out the ATSC tuner on my TV with a cheapo RCA indoor/powered antenna just for kicks. Well, after scanning for the OTA channels, I was able to pick up just about all of the OTA digital channels in the Philly region. And the main thing was that the picture was crystal clear.

My brother in law was over the other day and I set up the antenna for him to see. He's against cable TV (on principle) and figured that you need cable to use an HDTV. After seeing OTA HD with a puny indoor antenna, his jaw dropped to the floor. Suffice it to say, he's starting up his HDTV research again.

Most people just don't know that digital OTA is crystal clear, as long as you get a signal.

ft
post #369 of 3839 Old 12-20-2006, 07:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
[quote=TraderGordo]Anyway - I know I'm sort of preaching to the choir here - but any thoughts on why it seems so few people do over-the-air only? I get the strangest looks from neighbors, friends, and family when I tell them I don't have cable or satellite, just an antenna. Its as if they think its too ghetto. But I've been enjoying high definition programming now for almost 7 years, way before any of them even knew it existed, and when I ask them what shows they watch - its almost always just the regular broadcast stuff. I don't understand why people seem to think they can't live without cable or satellite? I love not having to pay da man every month and could care less about the channels I don't get. Everything looks stunning running though my home theater projector to an 8 foot screen.]

Yeah, people look at you like you have two heads if you don't have cable. If I had cable I would probably watch CNN a little, but is that worth $600 a year? No way! Most of what I want to watch is on WHYY which comes in great for me (after the change from channel 55 to 50 it comes in better for me). You can rent or buy a lot of DVD's for that $600 a year, and for the digital broadcast stations you get a perfect picture for free after you buy the equipment. And the offerings on broadcast are likely to get better with time, for example WPHL experimented for a while with a Spanish language subchannel but then dropped that in favor of The Tube (music videos) which is worth watching. WGTW was one of the last to get its digital broadcast up; now it is multicasting 5 channels. Several of the local stations are broadcasting only one digital channel (KYW, WTXF, WYBE, WMCN, WPSG) so there is room for further expansion of OTA offerings.
post #370 of 3839 Old 12-21-2006, 04:24 PM

I live in Feasterville, Bucks County. On Black Friday I got a 26" HDTV , (Olevia 226-s11) with ATSC digital tuner as a bedroom TV. I hooked it up to my Comcast cable feed (no STB) and got 73 analog and over 300 digital channels. However, many of the channels were blank or music channels. I'm a Comcast digital subscriber with a digital cable box on one non-HD TV. The location of the local HDTV channels, which the Comcast website says are included in limited BASIC service, keep changing. Four Comcast telephone customer service representatives could not or would not say where the HDTV channels for local service were mapped on the ATSC digital tuner. They said that I needed a Comcast set top box to receive HDTV signals. Also, the HDTV signals I did get were often pixelated, or disrupted.

In frustration, I hooked up a Phillips rabbit ears antenna and did an on-air channel search. To my amazement, I received the local HDTV signals (ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, WB). I did a web search and found an antenna website. I put in my address and zip code, and printed out a location map for my house as to where a directional antenna should be aimed. I also web searched and purchased an indoor, amplified directional antenna. By pointing the new antenna in the correct direction, I picked up over 40 digital channels, including Philadelphia, New York and Allentown channels. The reception of the New York channels is flukey, but they only repeat the major networks, and they are over 60 miles away. But the local channels are rock solid, and the HD feeds look better than the Comcast feeds.

Now I have and A-B switch hooked up, so that when I want to watch football on ABC/CBS/NBC/Fox,or HD programs on PBS, I get a beautiful, OTA HDTV picture.
post #371 of 3839 Old 12-21-2006, 04:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Welcome to HD. I don't think that ComCast guarantees HD channels in the clear. They are obligated to provide standard broadcast, but seem to have taken a liberal view of "broadcast" to mean SD only.

There are several users here complaining about pixelation. I'm one of them. ComCast is discussed ad nauseum in the Philly HDYV forum http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...pagenumber=999. This forum is more for just OTA.

40 channels? Wow. My location is tree blocked. Even with a high-gain yagi, I can't get much more than Philly and Trenton. I lost WHYY-DT when they switched over to channel 50 and changed their pattern.
post #372 of 3839 Old 12-21-2006, 07:45 PM

40 channels? Wow. My location is tree blocked. Even with a high-gain yagi, I can't get much more than Philly and Trenton. I lost WHYY-DT when they switched over to channel 50 and changed their pattern.[/quote]

Thanks for the reply. The 40 stations vary for some reason, interference? signals down? Act of the Ether Gods? Tonight , my set couldn't pick up ABC 6.1!

Reception and signal strength seem to change with whim and the weather. I live at the highest point in Lower Southampton Township, but on a lot with many tall trees.

When I change from On-Air to Cable and back, I lose my last configuration. I wish I could save my best channel map for each mode.
post #373 of 3839 Old 12-22-2006, 04:48 AM
AVS Special Member

unsure if everyone knows but whyy 12 is fixed....a rescan of HDtivo kicked out the duplicate channels and the guide data is fine. That being said, even at 3am, i'm getting a bit of breakup so the signal has gotten worse for me since their change. I rarely could get daytime signal but overnight was pretty perfect

57 inch Hitachi 57F710S
post #374 of 3839 Old 12-22-2006, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, actually they DO change with the weather. Deciduous trees lose their leaves (water content affects RF signals) in the autumn, so it's not much of a problem then. Pine trees (like the Christmas trees) don't lose their leaves and have a significantly higher RF absorption than other types of trees (about 30 dB more). I'm surrounded by a stand of pine trees.

You are probably picking up a lot of multipath on the indoor antenna. It was the luck of the draw to get all those channels. You are just placing your antenna to minimize the effects. The rules for antennas are: 1) Outdoors is better than indoors 2) The higher the better. Try experimenting. Maybe it only takes moving to an upstairs window that faces Roxborough.

Do you mean you lose the channels when switching or something else? It takes more RF signal to initially acquire / lock / decode than it does to maintain it. If the level is marginal, your tuner won't be able to lock on to the channel. This is also true when switching back and forth between channels.
post #375 of 3839 Old 12-23-2006, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekGirl View Post

Do you mean you lose the channels when switching or something else? It takes more RF signal to initially acquire / lock / decode than it does to maintain it. If the level is marginal, your tuner won't be able to lock on to the channel. This is also true when switching back and forth between channels.

By lose my configuration, I mean that each time I do a channel search to go from cable to on-air channels using my ATSC tuner, I lose or gain stations depending on conditions. My HDTV has no menu choice, "Remember this configuration", this channel line up, for saving the last on-air or the last cable search. My HDTV takes about 5 minutes to do an on-air search, or about 10 minutes for a cable search.

I wish there was a way to save my last configuration. It would take the TV manufacturer to put a memory chip in the tuner. Then I could flip back and forth between OTA and Cable. Any remotes with "CONFIG FLIP" BUTTONS?
post #376 of 3839 Old 12-26-2006, 07:29 AM

Anybody in the Philly area getting a low sound on the NBC's HD Eagles-Cowboys game? I'm trying to figure if it's on my side or the broadcast side. Sound levels on other channels are fine though.
post #377 of 3839 Old 12-26-2006, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter

Audio did sound kind of low for the game. It wasn't just you.
post #378 of 3839 Old 12-27-2006, 09:46 AM

Quote:

Audio did sound kind of low for the game. It wasn't just you.

Whew... I've been pilling my hair trying to figure this one out. Darn NBC Football!
post #379 of 3839 Old 01-07-2007, 06:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Eagels game: Why did WTXF pick now of all times to sync their NTSC (SD analog) broadcast with their ATSC (HD) broadcast? WYSP 94.1 FM was 7 S behind calling the game .
post #380 of 3839 Old 01-12-2007, 07:07 AM
AVS Special Member

anyone notice for the past week NBC OTA is quieter? I need to turn up the volume...other OTAs are normal

57 inch Hitachi 57F710S
post #381 of 3839 Old 01-12-2007, 08:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

anyone notice for the past week NBC OTA is quieter? I need to turn up the volume...other OTAs are normal

There seems to be a large range in volume levels between the various ATSC broadcasts. It can be annoying.
post #382 of 3839 Old 01-12-2007, 11:58 AM
Advanced Member

Hi guys. I'm posting on a discussion that started around post #303 by tonyb84 on 11-27-06 at 08:27 PM, and also with some general questions. I'm new to this OTA digital stuff but have gotten pretty knowledgable in the last few days. I got a Voom STB on the 'bay which arrived yesterday and works as it should. I'm in central NJ (Somerville area) and have been watching WHYY analog for years with my regular old VHF antenna (in the attic) along with all the other Philly VHF stations and a smattering of Philly UHF stations using a bowtie on the set (29, 35, 39, 57). I also get NJN stations (52, 58) but 52 comes in the best, so that's the one I've been watching for years. The local "mountains" block me from NYC and although I can get NYC VHF programs, the reception from Philly is better. I'm roughly equadistant between Philly and NYC. So I'm 50 miles from WHYY's tower(s), according to antennaweb.

I now know (at least I've read) that ~91% of current digital broadcasts are on the UHF band. Apparently, the other 9% is mostly in other cities out of my area, like Chicago. Before I found this out (yesterday), I had read that using my plain old VHF antenna for digital would get me any digital stations being broadcast by the analog stations I'd been receiving. Thus I expected to get all my Philly stations' digital broadcasts. I particularly wanted to get WHYY's digital broadcasts.

AND, I expected to not be able to get any of the UHF digital broadcasts unless I adapted my bowtie antenna or some other UHF antenna to my Voom.

So what happened.........?

You guessed it. I get all the ch. 58 (NJN) digital stations (they are out of New Brunswick and thus only ~6.6 miles from me), and ONE Philly "VHF" station's digital broadcast, which is KYW 3.1 and which I suspect is broadcast at UHF ch. 35 (?).

I'm getting these via my VHF antenna, not using my bowtie.

I now know (from you guys) that WHYY is broadcasting it's digital stuff via UHF ch. 50. Not only am I not getting that, I'm not getting NJN's ch. 50 broadcasts either (in either UHF or digital). That USED to be an NJN station, no? I assume it no longer is? If that's true, then that solves any potential conflict between WHYY digital and NJN digital since they both would be broadcasting digital at UHF ch. 50, from what I understand.

Now, as to that, it appears that NJN no longer is using UHF ch. 50, even tho' it's listed as such on Zap2it. Check out the NJN digital link, which says:

"NJN Digital is available over-the-air on the following UHF and VHF broadcast channels: Camden - 22, Trenton - 43, New Brunswick - 8, Montclair - 51"

I AM getting that New Brunswick ch. 8 digital broadcast (as 8.1 -- forgot to mention that one), and it's just the same programming as 58.1. But note that there's no ch. 50 listed there.

So, my questions are:

1) I assume I'm not getting WHYY digital because I need a more powerful/higher UHF antenna?

2) If so, what should I be looking to get?

3) Do ya think I CAN get WHYY digital given that I'm 50 miles from the tower? Keep in mind that I get excellent VHF reception for WHYY

4) How come I'm getting KYW digital? Am I not as far from that tower as from WHYY's? According to antennaweb, I am. So, as regards question #3, if I am getting KYW digital, should I not be able to get WHYY digital?

5) AND should I not be able to get all of the other Philly digital broadcasts? Like channels 6 and 10?

Thanks for any help/insight.
post #383 of 3839 Old 01-12-2007, 12:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Yes, I have noticed it too. At least it's quieter vs. louder. I'd prefer it that way if there has to be a problem.
post #384 of 3839 Old 01-12-2007, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Max View Post

1) I assume I'm not getting WHYY digital because I need a more powerful/higher UHF antenna?

That sounds right. Even then you cannot be assured of getting WHYY. Others north and east of the city of Philly have reported losing WHYY altogether with bigger antennas.
Quote:

2) If so, what should I be looking to get?

I don't have an answer for you. When all the digital channels are sorted out (and analog is phased out), WPVI-DT will be the only station in the area broadcasting on VHF. The rest will be on UHF. Try this (pages 34 and 35) place.
Quote:

3) Do ya think I CAN get WHYY digital given that I'm 50 miles from the tower? Keep in mind that I get excellent VHF reception for WHYY

Yes, I think you can. With the right antenna, amps, filters, et cetera, anything is possible.
Quote:

4) How come I'm getting KYW digital? Am I not as far from that tower as from WHYY's? According to antennaweb, I am. So, as regards question #3, if I am getting KYW digital, should I not be able to get WHYY digital?

Good question. There can be any number of reason why you are getting them, and not any of the other Philly stations. BTW, KYW-DT is on UHF channel 26.
Quote:

5) AND should I not be able to get all of the other Philly digital broadcasts? Like channels 6 and 10?

KYW-DT is in the same antenna farm as WPVI and WCAU. All the Philadelphia TV station transmission towers are in the Roxborough section of the city. I don't know why you can't get those other stations. Let me give you a strange example of how weird digital broadcasting is. Fox 29.1 (UHF channel 42) comes in at the signal level of the mid 70s to upper 70s for me in the summer and early fall. When the leaves fall off the trees, I lose 29.1 completely. Mind you, I am about 4 miles from the Roxborough towers with NOTHING blocking my antenna - I have true line of sight from my roof. All the other stations continue to come in just fine for me. However, WHYY's signal level did go down after their channel change from 55 to 50.

Good luck with your issues. Get the biggest antenna possible (for extreme deep fringe) and see what happens!
post #385 of 3839 Old 01-12-2007, 01:49 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks much, Newsman.

I'm a little disappointed to hear of your issues with 29.1, given how close you are to it. I'm thinking that a big part of my problem with WHYY (and I did see some of those comments by others who are north and east about losing WHYY after the channel switch) is very simply that; namely, the channel switch (from 55 to 50). Whatever else they did besides switch to that frequency -- like lowering their signal strength maybe -- is most probably the problem. I just wish I'd gotten into this earlier -- before the switch. I'd like to know if I would have gotten it THEN.

Quote:

BTW, KYW-DT is on UHF channel 26.

Don't know if you're familiar with the Voom, and maybe all STB's work basically the same way, but when you scan for OTA stations with the Voom, it goes thru each "RF number" one at a time. I don't know what the heck an "RF number" is, but the Voom site says it's the number that ya get at antennaweb, and I'm supposed to put that in the little box at the "aim the OTA antenna" step of the Voom setup.

But I don't see no stinking "RF number" when I go to antennaweb and enter my zip, etc. So I don't know what the Voom site is talking about.

But I think it matters not, because when ya do the scan for OTA stations, it seems to scan ALL the "RF numbers" anyway. Apparently, they are numbers from 2 to 36, and 38 to (I forget, but maybe like 69?).

Point being, when it does lock into a station, it does so at the particular "RF number" it's scanning at that moment -- which can be seen on the screen.

All the NJN stations were locked in at RF # 8.

And indeed, I do think that KYW-DT locked in at RF # 26. I re-scanned again earlier this afternoon (last scan was last night) and it did NOT pick up KYW this time. I'm going to rescan again tonight, and I'll watch to confirm it's # 26.

But last time I did see it, it was either 26 or 36. I just can't remember which.

When I said it was ch. 35 (or whatever I said), that is apparently the designation the box gave it, based on it's already-programmed "map" of stations, which in turn is based on its location when it was activated, which in my case is near Miami, Fla. So that's the channel designation the box gave it (don't ask me why).

I think KYW broadcasts at a higher signal strength at night. The picture is different at night. During the day, it's scrunched w/ gray bars at each side of my analog TV. At night, it's normal.

If I can't get more than these stations I'm getting now, I'm gonna have to give up on this OTA digital thing.

But one thing is for sure: The picture is most certainly impressive. And the nightime NJN HD broadcast picture is unbelieveably awesome. Even with my old (and I mean OLD) analog TV.

So I think I'm gonna like this digital TV thing once they get it all worked out.
post #386 of 3839 Old 01-12-2007, 04:54 PM
AVS Special Member

WHYY-DT changed their antenna pattern as well as the channel frequency. They reduced the gain towards North Jersey to avoid interference with channel 50 (which is in T-Max's neck of the woods- welcome to the AVS forum). Anyone who lives Northeast of Roxborough is getting little or no signal in that direction, which includes me. They are providing direct feeds to the cable companies to continue coverage.
post #387 of 3839 Old 01-13-2007, 07:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I think KYW broadcasts at a higher signal strength at night. The picture is different at night. During the day, it's scrunched w/ gray bars at each side of my analog TV. At night, it's normal.

I think you are talking about the difference in HD vs SD programming. Not signal strength. Most primetime stuff is HD and fills the whole screen. Daytime programs are mostly SD so they insert the bars to retain the formatting.

You should definitely have the same or clearer pic for even the SD stuff OTA vs on cable or satellite. My wife loves the ota pic so much she watches all the SD stuff OTA because the colors and PQ is so good.

57 inch Hitachi 57F710S
post #388 of 3839 Old 01-13-2007, 09:06 AM
Advanced Member

Hi Guys -

Thanks for all the good feedback. Just to update my KYW situation, I was unable to lock into it again, so I'm currently no longer getting it.

Newsposter, I'm not sure I agree with you about SD vs. HD. But I'm still a bit too ignorant about all this to claim I know what I'm talking about. What I'll say about it is that I am receiving both HD and SD broadcasts on NJN stations, and I don't see any gray bars with those broadcasts. I DO see what looks like a bit of distortion in the HD broadcast NJN is putting out -- the picture seems a bit stretched vertically (faces look a bit long). The Voom has some adjustment for "stretch" and scruntch (whatever!), but I haven't messed with that yet. I'm under the impression that I should be getting an undistorted picture without messing with that. The distortion seems minimal, but it does seem real. But the PQ is REAL clear and outstanding.

GeekGirl (anyone) - is ANYBODY out here in the great north and west getting WHYY? Or any of the other Philly digital broadcasts?

newsman - Regarding your 29.1 situation, I found a link yesterday where the guy said:

"In fact, even though channels 7 and 13 transmit from the exact same antenna, and I can see the tower from my home, best reception of the two channels requires turning my antenna more than 15 degrees."

So it sounds like he has a situation very similar to yours. And he's talking about the SAME antenna (not just different antennas in same proximity).

As far as what I should do, I get nowhere Googling for HD or HDTV antennas. All I've found so far came from looking for UHF antennas. I found a few possibilities, but also a lot of talk about how guys have gone out and purchased the most expensive wiz-bang antenna and gotten nothing out of it.

So far, I found one guy using the Phillips Silver Sensor HDTV antenna, which is an indoor job that sits on top of the set (looks like the functional equivalent to a glorified bowtie) and goes for about 20 bucks, and some interesting-looking jobs at Antennas Direct, both multi-directional and uni-directional. The top of the line jobs there are in the $100-$120 range (91XG Uni-Directional Antenna is $99, and DB8 Multidirectional HDTV Antenna is $119). Both claim to work "up to 70 miles or more from transmitter," which certainly covers my situation since I'm a bit under 50 miles away with a clear path to the towers and no buildings or other stuff to get in the way. I think my problem (assuming things work the way they are claimed to work) is very simply that my antenna is a VHF antenna. I'm basically trying to receive UHF signals with a VHF antenna, and that seems a bit silly to me.

Thoughts? I'd hate to spend a hundred bucks for nothing but I'd certainly be willing to spend that and get what I want.

I ASSUME they will work all this out by the time of the official transition? Also, GeekGirl, I highly suspect that WHYY is catering to the cable companies with what they did recently, as your post might suggest (I may be reading that into it). So I'm sending an email to that guy who's email address is on this forum somewhere (a member posted it previously) advising him that I AM a member of WHYY (which I am) and I do NOT appreciate not being able to receive their signal. I hope he gets the hint. I'll include the point that folks in my area were previously receiving it but now can't (since the change you referred to). See what he has to say about THAT.

But in any event, whatever WHYY did can't explain why I'm not getting any of the other Philly digital broadcasts, except for KYW, which I am no longer getting at the moment.
post #389 of 3839 Old 01-13-2007, 11:06 AM
Advanced Member

Okay, to update my situation a bit .....

I went into my attic and turned my (VHF) antenna towards NYC. This is where I turn it when I want to watch a show on the NYC network broadcast that's different from the Philly network broadcast over ch 3, 6, 10, etc.

And 3.1 came back. It appears to be strong and with no gray bands. I'm watching the Villanova / Syracuse BB game right now.

Hmmmmmm, who's carrying the NFL games this weekend? This could be cool if CBS is carrying one. I'll have to check that next.

Now, I did NOT check whether I was receiving it this morning b4 turning the antenna (stupid), but I'll do that cuz I'm turning the antenna back at some point today so's I can watch the games. I DID re-scan last night and it did NOT lock into 3.1 again. So it failed to lock into 3.1 both yesterday daytime and yesterday nighttime.

Anyway, I re-checked my "aim the antenna" signal strength with the antenna turned this way and it's basically the same (88-91). Then I re-scanned for local channes and it locked into 3.1 this time. And, newsman, it DID indeed lock in at RF 26. The other channels it locked into were the NJN ones, all of which locked in @ RF 8. Soooooo, since I already know (from that NJN site I referenced yesterday) that I'm locking into the New Brunswick NJN transmission (WNJB), which broadcasts its digital at UHF ch 8, it's pretty clear to me now that "RF" on my Voom equals "UHF channel." Thus you were (obviously) correct that 3.1 is broadcast over UHF channel 26. The highest RF # in my scans is 69, so that also suggests that RF=UHF (re: my Voom)

I've also found out about the Terk HD-TVA antenna, which is (duh!) a very popular item and seems to work very well for some folks. I also found those that are similiar to it's un-amplified cousin, etc.

What I'm wondering, however, is whether I should fool around with that thing (which goes for more than 50 bucks), or jump to one of the outdoor jobs that promises to do what I want. I'm living in my own crib here and can put anything I want up onto my roof (which will help with signal strength since my current VHF antenna is inside the attic), so I have no problem whatsoever putting up one of the two I mentioned previously, for example.
post #390 of 3839 Old 01-13-2007, 11:13 AM
Advanced Member

Ahhhhhhh, 3.1 KYWDT is carrying the Colts/Ravens game which starts in a couple of hours, so I guess I'll be leaving my antenna as it is for the moment.

Too bad it's DT and not HD, cuz that HD stuff is just awesome! Or am I wrong and it may indeed be getting broadcast in hi def? That would be sweet indeed. Seems like it would, no? But can I get it in HD over 3.1? I doubt it. It's probably a cable thing, right? Figures.

Since this is my 5th post, I guess I can now post urls?

Heh heh
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page