post #3872 of 3900 Old 12-03-2014, 05:33 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by cypherstream View Post
Is anyone having issues with the audio quality on WCAU during NBC programming? Last week it had a very digitized static / cracking undertone throughout all NBC programming (not local programming).
Yep - I have the same issue OTA and through DirecTV.
post #3873 of 3900 Old 12-14-2014, 07:49 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
NBC10's audio issues have now been noticed by many regular non-av tech types as seen by their latest Facebook posts during tonight's Eagles game. It was unwatchable so I switched to channel 40 WMGM from Atlantic City.
post #3874 of 3900 Old 12-14-2014, 08:53 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by cypherstream View Post
NBC10's audio issues have now been noticed by many regular non-av tech types as seen by their latest Facebook posts during tonight's Eagles game. It was unwatchable so I switched to channel 40 WMGM from Atlantic City.
I noticed that as well
post #3875 of 3900 Old 12-28-2014, 12:23 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
RF 26/27 adjacent channel interferance

Anyone else find it puzzling that we have both RF 26 and 27 in Philly? I'm having issues with spurrious adjacent RF from 27 degrading the signal quality (not strength) of KYW causing intermittent drop outs - even if I filter 27, the adjacent signal bending into RF 26 is the problem (I'm at 1 edge plus a ton of noise from surroundings), so doubtful it would fix my drop outs - anyone else found any issues / solutions?
post #3876 of 3900 Old 12-28-2014, 02:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT OTA Nut View Post
Anyone else find it puzzling that we have both RF 26 and 27 in Philly?
as long as the towers are within the same vicinity you can have adjacent RF channels
in Minneapolis we have a few sets of adjacent stations
22 & 23 (CW & PBS)
31 through 35 (LP daystar, CBS, LP 3ABN, PBS, ABC)
post #3877 of 3900 Old 12-29-2014, 04:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
No more puzzling than the fact there's 31 and 32, 34 and 35, 25 and 26, etc. in the market. Perfectly normal and happens all over.

Your problem almost certainly is not adjacent-channel interference. It's probably multipath, which is much much much more frequent and likely.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #3878 of 3900 Old 01-04-2015, 04:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 50
As of 6:45 this evening, WPVI channel 6 is really behaving strangely. No picture or sound on one tuner, delayed picture and sound (about 15 seconds) on a second, picture but no sound on a third then it dies, and works ok on a 4th! I would say that constitutes a problem.

Update: I called the station to let them know. Everything went back to normal about 8:50.
wilbur_the_goose likes this.

Last edited by frank70; 01-04-2015 at 07:03 PM.
post #3879 of 3900 Old 01-07-2015, 12:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by John ODonnell View Post
I also have an ANT751 mounted in my attic. I am exactly 30 miles from the Roxborough towers (Douglassville). I would get 85% signal strength on 6.1 (ABC) and ~60% signal strength on the 2's (MeTV, Grit and Escape). The 2's would blip out occasionally but were still completely watchable.

However, starting a few nights ago I can no longer get a consistent picture on MeTV, Grit or Escape (2.1, 2.2 and 2.3). They are completely pixelated and unwatchable. I thought it may just be weather related however this morning (Oct. 19 @ 10:30am), the weather is perfect and I still face the same issue. 6.1 (ABC) still comes in strong as ever but the 2's remain the same.

I also have an HDHomerun and I noticed an oddity with it. When I launch the config app for the hdhomerun and navigate to 2.1, my signal strength is still in the 60% range, but, the Symbol Quality is 0%. This was never the case before. 6.1 stills clocks in a 86% Signal Quality and 100% Symbol Quality.

Did KJWP (2.1, 2.2 and 2.3) make some kind of change recently? My only other thought is the wind...it has been pretty strong this morning. Could that be a factor? I tend to think not since it has never caused a problem before.

John
Hi John. Did you ever get your signal issues worked out? What else are you picking up w/ that antenna? I'm also in Douglassville and have been using a ClearStream 4 I got for next to nothing; however, lack of WPVI has been driving me crazy. I'm looking for something to mount in the attic and yours looks small enough to fit the bill.

For everyone else, would it be smarter to just build a half dipole targeting Channel 6 and use a vhf/uhf combiner to connect w/ my existing antenna?

If you are interested here is my TVFool report
post #3880 of 3900 Old 01-07-2015, 08:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by munkyxtc View Post
For everyone else, would it be smarter to just build a half dipole targeting Channel 6 and use a vhf/uhf combiner to connect w/ my existing antenna?
That's the solution that worked for me. It doesn't get 2 - no biggie.

Last edited by frank70; 01-07-2015 at 08:52 PM.
post #3881 of 3900 Old 01-15-2015, 11:27 AM

Can't get NBC

Hi. I live in Walnutport, about 65 miles north of Philly. Here is my TV Fool report: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...2c15380326b223

I have a Winegard 7694P antenna feeding a RCA TVPRAMP1R preamp. I have about 110' of RG6 coax behind the preamp with 3 in-line coax connectors inbetween ( I didn't have 1 really long cable but several moderately long cables). I am using a HDHR3 connected to WMC and an Xbox360 extender. Right now I have the antenna mounted about 2' off the ground on the south-east side of the house. The main cable line coming into the house is on the opposite side of the house, which is why my cable run is so long. I quickly threw the antenna up one day to see how many channels I get and I haven't tinkered with placement since then. The antenna is pointed at 159 degrees true north. I get a suprising amount of channels, KYW, WHYY, WNEP, WTFX, etc..., and all very solidly, with one exception - NBC. I can't seem to tune that channel.

Even with a preamp, would shortening my cable run make any difference in me tuning NBC? I know I should raise the antenna higher off the ground, but it seems odd that I can get WHYY but not WCAU. Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Mike
post #3882 of 3900 Old 01-16-2015, 05:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpcary View Post
Even with a preamp, would shortening my cable run make any difference in me tuning NBC? I know I should raise the antenna higher off the ground, but it seems odd that I can get WHYY but not WCAU. Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated. Thank you.
WHYY is RF channel 12, while WCAU is RF channel 34; effective radiated power, propagation, and reception via antenna differ significantly between them, so you really can't really compare them in any way. More interestingly, how is your reception of WPVI (RF 6)? I ask because that antenna does not have elements long enough to effectively receive VHF Low, especially at your distance. If you're getting WPVI ok and not WCAU, then that would seem pretty freaky. But yes, get it up on the roof, not 2' off the ground!
post #3883 of 3900 Old 01-16-2015, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank70 View Post
WHYY is RF channel 12, while WCAU is RF channel 34; effective radiated power, propagation, and reception via antenna differ significantly between them, so you really can't really compare them in any way. More interestingly, how is your reception of WPVI (RF 6)? I ask because that antenna does not have elements long enough to effectively receive VHF Low, especially at your distance. If you're getting WPVI ok and not WCAU, then that would seem pretty freaky. But yes, get it up on the roof, not 2' off the ground!
I don't get WPVI. I never expected I would since my antenna is too small. Hopefully the weather warms up enough for me to get on the roof. Thank you for your help!
post #3884 of 3900 Old 01-16-2015, 05:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

If you get KYW and WTXF, though, I don't see why you wouldn't get WCAU. It should, theoretically, be a slightly stronger signal than WTXF and on par with KYW. Do you get WYBE? WPHL?

I agree, though, that 2 feet off the ground isn't nearly enough. That close to the ground, all bets are off.

- Trip

N4MJC

RabbitEars

post #3885 of 3900 Old 01-16-2015, 10:42 AM

I do get WBYE and WPHL, but WPHL has more spotty reception. Both certainly come in though. Yea, I need to raise the antenna up. I have it clamped on a deck post right now, again, just cause I wanted to see what I could get.

Something that has been on my mind is the issue of my cable run. I have the antenna feeding the RCA preamp, there's about a 3' coax run between them. I have a 50' line going from the preamp to an inline coax connector, then another 50' line going to another inline connector. At that point there is a run of RG59 that goes underneath the house for about 10'. There used to be a splitter at the end of that run, but I took the splitter off and put another inline connector to a 6' line going into the HDHR3. It's a horrible patchwork hodgepodge because I used the existing cable-company feed on the opposite end of the house from the antenna. Would cleaning up this mess help my NBC situation? Or, is the preamp strong enough to overcome the horrible cable run I have?

Thanks again for all your help.
post #3886 of 3900 Old 01-17-2015, 08:56 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpcary View Post
I do get WBYE and WPHL, but WPHL has more spotty reception. Both certainly come in though. Yea, I need to raise the antenna up. I have it clamped on a deck post right now, again, just cause I wanted to see what I could get.

Something that has been on my mind is the issue of my cable run. I have the antenna feeding the RCA preamp, there's about a 3' coax run between them. I have a 50' line going from the preamp to an inline coax connector, then another 50' line going to another inline connector. At that point there is a run of RG59 that goes underneath the house for about 10'. There used to be a splitter at the end of that run, but I took the splitter off and put another inline connector to a 6' line going into the HDHR3. It's a horrible patchwork hodgepodge because I used the existing cable-company feed on the opposite end of the house from the antenna. Would cleaning up this mess help my NBC situation? Or, is the preamp strong enough to overcome the horrible cable run I have?

Thanks again for all your help.
With the preamp, your cable run is not the problem. Most likely the two foot antenna height results in out of phase ground reflections nulling NBC rf 34. Raise your antenna 6 or 12 inches, and you may obtain very different results, improving some channels and possibly degrading others. If raising it is not possible move the location by a few feet.
post #3887 of 3900 Old 01-20-2015, 12:29 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
New Subs ?

Anyone heard of new sub channels coming to the Philly DMA.
Justice Network launches tonight @ 6pm via C-band satellite on Galaxy 19 @ 97 west.
I thought i heard that KJWP Ch. 2 would be picking it up along side grit & escape.
Something from Gannett Corp.?
regards
owenf
post #3888 of 3900 Old 01-20-2015, 12:34 PM
Advanced Member

Justice Network launches tonight on Gannett stations only (as of right now)
post #3889 of 3900 Old 01-20-2015, 07:39 PM

Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by unclehonkey View Post
Justice Network launches tonight on Gannett stations only (as of right now)
Hi -- greetings from Malvern. Cut the cord a few years ago and haven't missed cable yet, although the loss of CBSPlus and Tango hurt. Does anyone here have insight on them? Any competitors considering a similar service to replace them?
post #3890 of 3900 Old 01-21-2015, 12:45 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 36
For Tango, I'd suggest PennDOT's 511 website (http://www.511pa.com/)
post #3891 of 3900 Old 01-21-2015, 05:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked: 371
or Sigalert:
http://www.sigalert.com/Map.asp?regi...=-75.15868&z=0

Fusion 8 Alchemy LCR, now $1000: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/209-au...1200-firm.html
Downloadable FREE demo discs: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/150-bl...=bd9+demo+disc
Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
post #3892 of 3900 Old 01-27-2015, 12:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
MiND TV (WYBE) is down again. From their website:
Transmission Outage – 1/25/15
POSTED ON JANUARY 26, 2015 //
125mindTo all our viewers,

On Sunday, the transmission was interrupted by an equipment failure and the MiND channels went down. We are very sorry for the inconvenience and interruption in programming services.

For those who subscribe to Comcast and Verizon cable services, you are receiving a stream of back-up programming. This signal tends to be stable, but can have issues when internet is taxed.

Please be patient with us while get the transmitter equipment fixed. While the ultimate duration of this outage is unknown, the engineering team hopes to have the situation under control by Thursday.

Thank you.
post #3893 of 3900 Old 01-29-2015, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OWENF View Post
Anyone heard of new sub channels coming to the Philly DMA.
Justice Network launches tonight @ 6pm via C-band satellite on Galaxy 19 @ 97 west.
I thought i heard that KJWP Ch. 2 would be picking it up along side grit & escape.
Something from Gannett Corp.?
regards
owenf
JusticeTv was on last night showed up as 2-4 on my system. no rescan required
post #3894 of 3900 Old 02-08-2015, 05:23 PM
Advanced Member

WBPH Allentown / Philadelphia

Picked up WBPH Allentown for the first time today on RF 9, virtual channels 60.1 and 60.2. They have an application pending to increase power from 80.6 kW to 120 kW. I'm guessing they are already at the higher power for me to be receiving it here in Swarthmore.
post #3895 of 3900 Old 02-09-2015, 03:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

They have an application, but not a permit, for 120 kW. They cannot be operating with more than 80.6 kW.

- Trip

N4MJC

RabbitEars

post #3896 of 3900 Old 02-09-2015, 09:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip in VA View Post
They have an application, but not a permit, for 120 kW. They cannot be operating with more than 80.6 kW.

- Trip
Well, OK, then the work I did on my antenna the other day must have improved signal strength more than I thought. I went up on the roof and unscrewed the wingnuts holding the spade lugs for the balun and sanded the spade lugs with a piece of sandpaper and reattached. Then on the ground I replaced one of the f connectors going to the ground block. On the FCC website there doesn't seem to be a huge difference on the 36 dBu maps between 80.6 kW and 120 kW - both would include Swarthmore. On the WBPH website there is this statement: "With the recent completion of an FCC approved power increase to Full Power Digital Broadcast; WBPH currently reaches 1.8 million homes throughout Southeastern Pennsylvania. Our coverage includes Philadelphia and its suburbs as well as the Lehigh Valley, Reading and surrounding communities." Maybe the reference to Full Digital Power means 80.6 kW.
post #3897 of 3900 Old 02-10-2015, 05:22 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Allentown WFMZ Channel 69

Interesting, scanning with my Toshiba TV, it found channel 69 in two places. Found it on virtual 69-1 ~ 69-4 but with not enough signal strength to show a picture. It also found channel 69 on virtual channel 46-3 ~ 46-6 with good watch able signal strength for most times of the day. Is Allentown 69 being broadcast from two different antennas? I have done the internet research but most sites seem to have outdated information. Scanning with my IView tuner, even though it is attached to the same antenna, the IView cannot find virtual channel 46. I think this is due to no transmission on 46-1.
post #3898 of 3900 Old 02-10-2015, 06:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmccoy View Post
Interesting, scanning with my Toshiba TV, it found channel 69 in two places. Found it on virtual 69-1 ~ 69-4 but with not enough signal strength to show a picture. It also found channel 69 on virtual channel 46-3 ~ 46-6 with good watch able signal strength for most times of the day. Is Allentown 69 being broadcast from two different antennas? I have done the internet research but most sites seem to have outdated information. Scanning with my IView tuner, even though it is attached to the same antenna, the IView cannot find virtual channel 46. I think this is due to no transmission on 46-1.
yes
46 from Allentown
45 from Philly
http://rabbitears.info/market.php?re...n=wfmz#station

http://rabbitears.info/contour.php?a...6&site=3&map=Y
post #3899 of 3900 Unread Today, 08:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
What's up with the horrible audio quality once again on WCAU 10's NBC prime time programming? We're going through this again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page