Philadelphia, PA - OTA - Page 136 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 
 15Likes

post #4051 of 4068 Old 09-10-2016, 02:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterSplinter View Post
Has WCAU reduced their broadcasting power? I haven't watched it for most of the summer but I tried to tune in to watch the Olympics and noticed the signal is significantly worse than before. In fact, this channel used to be the strongest signal out of all of the Philadelphia channels for me (almost 100% signal strength) and now the signal is so weak that I can't even tune to the channel most of the time (it hovers around 50% signal strength, and cannot even get a lock at most times of the day).
I'm 17mi from Roxborough, and have also found WCAU to be very problematic lately. I get the more "difficult" channels just fine (WPVI, WHYY) and about 45 total, and I'm using a relatively cheap $40 GE attic antenna.

Anybody have any info or work-around the reception for WCAU? I was very annoyed when trying to watch the football game on Thursday night.

Thanks!

"That's right Mr. Martini...there is an Easter Bunny".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4052 of 4068 Old 09-11-2016, 03:21 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Remember, WCAU is Comcast. Perhaps they don't want you to view OTA and purchase their Xfinity service instead?
post #4053 of 4068 Old 09-11-2016, 04:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked: 948
So it's not a bug, it's a feature.
Michael
wilbur_the_goose likes this.

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
Downloadable FREE demo discs: Demonstration Blu-Ray Discs (Independently Authored)
Welcome to AVS - Get out while you still can!
post #4054 of 4068 Old 09-13-2016, 02:20 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-star View Post
I'm 17mi from Roxborough, and have also found WCAU to be very problematic lately. I get the more "difficult" channels just fine (WPVI, WHYY) and about 45 total, and I'm using a relatively cheap $40 GE attic antenna.

Anybody have any info or work-around the reception for WCAU? I was very annoyed when trying to watch the football game on Thursday night.

Thanks!
I'm having the same issue. I am about 35 miles from the Roxborough towers (actually my home neighborhood) in Douglassville. I always received the 10's @ 100%. About two weeks ago I started to see sever pixelation. Right now (Tuesday 9/13 @ 4:40pm), I can't even get a signal.

John
post #4055 of 4068 Old 09-29-2016, 12:04 PM

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilbur_the_goose View Post
Remember, WCAU is Comcast. Perhaps they don't want you to view OTA and purchase their Xfinity service instead?
Speaking on Comcast... what DVRs do the use in the Philly area?

Is it SA/Cisco boxes? The reason I ask is that on the west coast Motorola boxes are most of the installed base and I am thinking the most recent Comcast software (dvrmanager) doesn't work here because they ignored the devices here.

I get nothing of use from customer service.
post #4056 of 4068 Old 10-01-2016, 12:25 PM
Advanced Member

No clue here - no way will I submit to Comcast
post #4057 of 4068 Old 11-04-2016, 02:24 PM

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 11
WTVE 51.1 switches to SonLife

RabbitEars is saying WTVE Reading PA has switched to SonLife on 51.1, joining Atlantic City's WMGM in carrying the religious network on primary channels. This also gives SonLife FIVE outlets in the Philly market, including WACP 4.3, WPSJ-CD 8.2 and WZPA-LD 33.3.
http://www.rabbitears.info/market.ph...=55305#station
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SonLife Philly 2.png
Views:	14
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	1753809   Click image for larger version

Name:	SonLife Philly.png
Views:	17
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	1753817  

James Calvin Woods - Son of Verta Jane Holland
post #4058 of 4068 Old 11-05-2016, 07:42 AM
Advanced Member

Wow - what a waste of spectrum.
post #4059 of 4068 Old 11-07-2016, 01:35 PM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Quote:
Wow - what a waste of spectrum.
I'm about 25 miles from roxborough. was using an old legacy antenna for @ 20 years no problem - this summer a bad storm damaged it and I lost reception. Antennas direct recommended replacing it with the DB8E UHF bow tie antenna. I installed it and it receives all uhf and also vhf although 6 is spotty. the problem is the signal at times freezes and cuts out for a few seconds, which rarely if ever happened with the old antenna. Is this due to the fact that this is a multi-directional antenna rather than a directional/yagi? Could it be that the signal is too strong with this antenna? Any help would be appreciated.
post #4060 of 4068 Old 11-07-2016, 04:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerall View Post
I'm about 25 miles from roxborough. was using an old legacy antenna for @ 20 years no problem - this summer a bad storm damaged it and I lost reception. Antennas direct recommended replacing it with the DB8E UHF bow tie antenna. I installed it and it receives all uhf and also vhf although 6 is spotty. the problem is the signal at times freezes and cuts out for a few seconds, which rarely if ever happened with the old antenna. Is this due to the fact that this is a multi-directional antenna rather than a directional/yagi? Could it be that the signal is too strong with this antenna? Any help would be appreciated.
Is it only 6 that freezes and cuts out? The DB8 antennas are indeed directional (the big ground-plane(s) on the back side should be the first clue), but also are virtually useless for LOW VHF. I have a DB8 but need to couple in a simple twin-lead folded dipole tuned for channel 6. If all the stations are freezing and/or cutting out, then I have no clue - that antenna should pull the UHF channels just fine; are you sure you have it aimed correctly? Multipath reflections from blowing trees can also cause dropouts, in which case you might try adjusting the antenna direction by a few degrees either side of Roxborough to try to reject more of the multipath. Also make sure all 8 bowties are pointed in the same direction.

Last edited by frank70; 11-07-2016 at 04:28 PM.
post #4061 of 4068 Old 11-21-2016, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank70 View Post
Is it only 6 that freezes and cuts out? The DB8 antennas are indeed directional (the big ground-plane(s) on the back side should be the first clue), but also are virtually useless for LOW VHF. I have a DB8 but need to couple in a simple twin-lead folded dipole tuned for channel 6. If all the stations are freezing and/or cutting out, then I have no clue - that antenna should pull the UHF channels just fine; are you sure you have it aimed correctly? Multipath reflections from blowing trees can also cause dropouts, in which case you might try adjusting the antenna direction by a few degrees either side of Roxborough to try to reject more of the multipath. Also make sure all 8 bowties are pointed in the same direction.
Thanks, Frank. Tried adjusting and still dropouts. I have 2 tvs - the main tv is a 12 year old mits crt rear projection with a built in tuner and that has dropouts. the other is an old analog crt with a coverter box and with the db8e picks up all uhf AND vhf includingch 6 with minimal drop outs. I think adding a new tuner may solve the problem - do you have any recommendations? Am I correct that I can't use a converter box tuner as a digital tuner with a digital tv? thanks
post #4062 of 4068 Old 11-21-2016, 05:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks, Frank. Tried adjusting and still dropouts. I have 2 tvs - the main tv is a 12 year old mits crt rear projection with a built in tuner and that has dropouts. the other is an old analog crt with a coverter box and with the db8e picks up all uhf AND vhf includingch 6 with minimal drop outs. I think adding a new tuner may solve the problem - do you have any recommendations? Am I correct that I can't use a converter box tuner as a digital tuner with a digital tv? thanks
I certainly wouldn't recommend using a converter box with a digital TV - though it might work (using composite inputs to the TV), the picture quality would be a big disappointment. Does the 12 year old digital TV have an HDMI input? If so, I'd recommend getting a Channel Master DVR+ 16GB unit to use as a tuner (and DVR if you later want to add an inexpensive 1GB external hard drive). If no HDMI input (i.e.: only component inputs), then I have no suggestion other than getting a new LED/LCD flat screen TV with built in tuner (or, well maybe you could find an old used Dish DTVPal DVR which has component outputs).

Note that the 12 year old TV's tuner probably has poor multipath rejection (as they did back then) and that could be the root cause of your problems.
post #4063 of 4068 Old Yesterday, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank70 View Post
I certainly wouldn't recommend using a converter box with a digital TV - though it might work (using composite inputs to the TV), the picture quality would be a big disappointment. Does the 12 year old digital TV have an HDMI input? If so, I'd recommend getting a Channel Master DVR+ 16GB unit to use as a tuner (and DVR if you later want to add an inexpensive 1GB external hard drive). If no HDMI input (i.e.: only component inputs), then I have no suggestion other than getting a new LED/LCD flat screen TV with built in tuner (or, well maybe you could find an old used Dish DTVPal DVR which has component outputs).

Note that the 12 year old TV's tuner probably has poor multipath rejection (as they did back then) and that could be the root cause of your problems.
Thanks. The tv has a DVI input. Any tuner recommendations would be welcome.
post #4064 of 4068 Old Yesterday, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks. The tv has a DVI input. Any tuner recommendations would be welcome.
Unfortunately, although you can convert HDMI to DVI, audio is not carried on that connector, nor does the Channel Master DVR+ have a separate audio output, so using that as a tuner is out. Maybe now is the right time to upgrade to a new digital TV since they're going to all be on sale this week, instead of trying to continue to nurse the projection set along. You'll be amazed at how much sharper (than projection) LED backlit LCD TVs are these days. Tuners have come a long way too, but just in case, make sure you can take it back in the unlikely event the tuner is still not happy with your signal.

Also, since you're splitting the signal to 2 TVs, perhaps a preamp would help.
post #4065 of 4068 Old Yesterday, 08:06 AM
Advanced Member

@gerall - Might be wise to pick up a cheap new TV on a Black Friday sale...
post #4066 of 4068 Old Yesterday, 09:07 AM

Quote:
@gerall - Might be wise to pick up a cheap new TV on a Black Friday sale...
Thanks, great idea. Any recommendations for a 65"? I can join Costco.
post #4067 of 4068 Old Yesterday, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked: 948
That would be here:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lc...anel-displays/
and elsewhere.
Good luck.
Michael

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
Downloadable FREE demo discs: Demonstration Blu-Ray Discs (Independently Authored)
Welcome to AVS - Get out while you still can!
post #4068 of 4068 Old Today, 05:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thanks, great idea. Any recommendations for a 65"? I can join Costco.
Anybody can join Costco.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page