Philadelphia, PA - OTA - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #631 of 3826 Old 02-10-2007, 09:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've been following this thread with great interest. Prior to WHYY's switch, I was able to receive their digital broadcasts just fine. Since the switch to 50, I haven't been able to receive WHYY digital at all, and I live a mere 2.5 miles (northeast) from the Roxborough antenna farm. I have an outdoor antenna, and I receive the other stations from Roxborough just fine (high signal strengths, mostly in the low 90s). But with channel 50 I get zero signal. Nothing. Nada. I thought it had to be some sort of configuration error, but after multiple resets and re-scans nothing has changed.

So add me to the chorus of people experiencing these issues. It appears to me that there must be more to this story than a change to the broadcast pattern. I live within the Philadelphia city limits and don't detect any signal, and that does not seem at all reasonable!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 3826 Old 02-11-2007, 07:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorY View Post

I've been following this thread with great interest. Prior to WHYY's switch, I was able to receive their digital broadcasts just fine. Since the switch to 50, I haven't been able to receive WHYY digital at all, and I live a mere 2.5 miles (northeast) from the Roxborough antenna farm. I have an outdoor antenna, and I receive the other stations from Roxborough just fine (high signal strengths, mostly in the low 90s). But with channel 50 I get zero signal. Nothing. Nada. I thought it had to be some sort of configuration error, but after multiple resets and re-scans nothing has changed.

So add me to the chorus of people experiencing these issues. It appears to me that there must be more to this story than a change to the broadcast pattern. I live within the Philadelphia city limits and don't detect any signal, and that does not seem at all reasonable!

Sorry I cannot help you though. I am sympathetic to your issue.
post #633 of 3826 Old 02-11-2007, 04:18 PM
QZ1
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Do you guys recommend a Philips Silver Sensor to try first?
If that doesn't work well, anything at Radio Shack worth trying?
post #634 of 3826 Old 02-11-2007, 05:52 PM
Advanced Member

Location: Living among the children of the corn in Oxford, (S.E.), PA.
Silver sensor is pretty much it for indoor, if it wont work, look for a DB2 and see if you can deal with it indoors.

"The Bundys' proud name was built on a philosophy of lying. Well, lying, owing money and perhaps beer. Yes, lying, owing money and beer. The only thing that separates us from the Kennedys is that they have money." - Al Bundy
post #635 of 3826 Old 02-12-2007, 04:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorY View Post

Hi Professor. I suggest you might want to email Bill Weber about your problem. The fact that you are as close as you are is a clear indication that they have way overreacted to any possible interference with ch 50 in Montclair, NJ. Perhaps you might just be correct and this is indeed some sort of a configuration issue because it's really hard for me to imagine that even at their present lower signal strength and this directional issue that certainly pertains to your location, you don't get any signal at all. Frankly, it's ridiculous that someone as close as you are can't get their signal at all.

If you don't tell them about it, they won't know. Or they'll pretend they don't know. Whatever.

My take on it is that they want to transmit at lower signal strength simply to cut costs. They are being cheap. They are using ch 50 in Montclair as an excuse to save money and thus they've altered their signal pattern to appear consistent with that reason, but it's all B.S. I'd like to see them kick the signal strength back up and change the pattern back to what it was w/ ch. 55 and then let Montclair tell them it's interfering.

Which I seriously doubt would ever happen.

So I suggest you send Bill Weber an email about it. Maybe they'll finally take a look at their current situation and consider doing something about it. If we all just sit around and accept the situation they've forced on us, then nothing is going to happen.
post #636 of 3826 Old 02-13-2007, 10:46 AM

I'm an OTA newbie and I am getting fine reception via a Terk indoor antenna (about 3+ miles from Roxborough antenna farm). My TV indicates analog or digital for each channel as expected. My burning question is that I get Philly digital channels such as 6.001, 12.002, etc. but because they are digital, are they also HD (I fully realize that all HD channels are digital but not all digital channels are HD but if a channel has several sub-channels how do I determine which would be receiving HD)? Or is it that, when tuned to a digital channel it will be received in HD automatically IF if in fact the broadcast is in HD? My TV has an ASTC and a QAM tuner built-in but I'm not sure what either does for me. Can you help me sort this our?
Thanks.
post #637 of 3826 Old 02-13-2007, 10:52 AM

ProfessorY
I am about 3+ miles from the Roxborough antennas and with an indoor antenna, I am receiving WHYY-D on channel 12.001, 12.002 and 12.003. I'm puzzled that I can pull the digital channels in and you can't given we're similar distances from the antenna.
Just thought you'd like to know.
post #638 of 3826 Old 02-13-2007, 12:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickkaluz View Post

I'm an OTA newbie and I am getting fine reception via a Terk indoor antenna (about 3+ miles from Roxborough antenna farm). My TV indicates analog or digital for each channel as expected. My burning question is that I get Philly digital channels such as 6.001, 12.002, etc. but because they are digital, are they also HD (I fully realize that all HD channels are digital but not all digital channels are HD but if a channel has several sub-channels how do I determine which would be receiving HD)? Or is it that, when tuned to a digital channel it will be received in HD automatically IF if in fact the broadcast is in HD? My TV has an ASTC and a QAM tuner built-in but I'm not sure what either does for me. Can you help me sort this our?
Thanks.

Assuming that your TV is capable of recieving HD signals, you will be able to view shows broadcast in HD automatically. You can go to www.titantv.com, put in your zip code and select antenna as the service provider to see a schedule of which shows are broadcast in HD. What a QAM tuner does is decode cable television digital signals. With a QAM tuner, you can attach the coax from the cable company directly to the TV without using a settop box.
post #639 of 3826 Old 02-14-2007, 05:10 PM

*vomit* at the new Fox29 HD logo. WOW! Whoever decided to get rid of the nice clear/grey one should be publicly hanged.

/endrant
post #640 of 3826 Old 02-16-2007, 07:06 AM
Advanced Member

My settop box lost its mind again this morning so I had to rescan all channels. Channel 23 WNJS Camden didn't show up at all. They are doing antenna work which they hoped to finish by Feb 15 but the website says the work is weather depndent. With the cold and wind and snow we've had the past couple of weeks its not surprising they are behind schedule. Curiously, my settop box did lock in WNJT Trenton which I can sometimes get and sometimes not. The signal was very steady this morning.
post #641 of 3826 Old 02-16-2007, 01:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanisrox69 View Post

*vomit* at the new Fox29 HD logo. WOW! Whoever decided to get rid of the nice clear/grey one should be publicly hanged.

/endrant

Fox HQ decided on this. If you watch Fox 5 NY, you'll see the same exact graphics. I agree w/ you about the new graphics. Blech. All Fox owned and operated (O&O) stations now have the same graphics package.
post #642 of 3826 Old 02-16-2007, 05:08 PM
AVS Special Member

and whoever can figure out (any station) how to put the bug on the HD position instead of the SD position will make millions

57 inch Hitachi 57F710S
Tivo Premiere w/DB8 antenna which gets in VHF 6
Sony T60 2-160 drives unsubbed
Panasonic E80 Dvd recorder
post #643 of 3826 Old 02-17-2007, 12:13 PM

Hi all. Well I got my HDTV and I went with the Terk HDTVa indoor antenna. My set picked up 24 digital channels and 19 analog channels. Everything seems to coming in clearly with a bit of tweaking where needed. The only problem I do have is that I'm not getting any digital channels from channel 3(KYW) and the analog station is a bit snowy. Anyone have any ideas why I can't get 3.1??
post #644 of 3826 Old 02-17-2007, 06:49 PM

I don't know why the spectrum auctions occurred so early. But remember, the original DTV transition date was the end of 2006 so perhaps the government thought the spectrum would be cleared by now.

The upper portion of the freed spectrum, which the government would like to free as soon as possible, is to be allocated to public safety communications. They want to finish auctioning the rest so the FCC has been very cooperative with all entangled parties.

There was no regulatory reason for WHYY to change it's interim DTV Channel. So I guess a 'sweetheart' deal from Qualcomm coupled with full cooperation from the FCC was an impossible offer to refuse.

Over-the-air TV is still an analog thing for the general viewing public most of whom still know nothing about Feb of 2009. So disenfranchising a few DTV enthusiasts is inconsequential in the overall scheme of things. This is what my prof called a Value Judgment.

On a more technical note Channel 12 is an excellent choice for DTV:

1) It's in the upper VHF range where co-channel interference doesn't occur too often.

2) There is very little attenuation from vegetation compared to UHF

3) Somewhat less susceptible to shadowing compared to UHF

3) Less power is required for a given coverage area

Obviously WHYY can't go digital there now because the public isn't ready yet.

--- CHAS

If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.
post #645 of 3826 Old 02-17-2007, 06:50 PM
AVS Special Member

JamesDax - sure, but more info is needed:
Location - are you in the city, suburbs, etc. Hint: update your profile so others can see where you are. It helps in this type of situation.
Where is your antenna? Outdoors, indoors, by a window facing xxx, basement, attic, etc.
Can you be specific on the exact channels and received strength, both analog and digital?
Another piece of information would be to see if the situation improves by moving the antenna to another location, even by only a few feet.

One possibility is that KYW analog is snowy (3.1 is on UHF). That doesn't sound right, as this channel is at VHF and should be relatively easy pickings for your setup. I think this antenna has a preamp, which means there should be a DC feed. Is it inserted in-line and plugged in?
post #646 of 3826 Old 02-18-2007, 08:18 AM

Hi Geekgirl. Thanks for the response. I updated my profile as suggested.

I live in the Germantown section of Philly in a third floor apartment. I have a clear view of the area where i point the antenna. I repositioned my antenna using the map provided by antennaweb.com and I'm now getting everything I should be getting.

One question though. How would I go about finding out what my signal strengths are?
post #647 of 3826 Old 02-18-2007, 10:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIPAR View Post

I don't know why the spectrum auctions occurred so early. But remember, the original DTV transition date was the end of 2006 so perhaps the government thought the spectrum would be cleared by now.

The upper portion of the freed spectrum, which the government would like to free as soon as possible, is to be allocated to public safety communications. They want to finish auctioning the rest so the FCC has been very cooperative with all entangled parties.

There was no regulatory reason for WHYY to change it's interim DTV Channel. So I guess a 'sweetheart' deal from Qualcomm coupled with full cooperation from the FCC was an impossible offer to refuse.

Over-the-air TV is still an analog thing for the general viewing public most of whom still know nothing about Feb of 2009. So disenfranchising a few DTV enthusiasts is inconsequential in the overall scheme of things. This is what my prof called a Value Judgment.

On a more technical note Channel 12 is an excellent choice for DTV:

1) It's in the upper VHF range where co-channel interference doesn't occur too often.

2) There is very little attenuation from vegetation compared to UHF

3) Somewhat less susceptible to shadowing compared to UHF

3) Less power is required for a given coverage area

Obviously WHYY can't go digital there now because the public isn't ready yet.

--- CHAS

Chas - I agree with your assessment. I also think WHYY wasn't terribly eager to let the full story out and thus spun it this way and that whenever they received somewhat random inquiries about the problem. Once they realized that there was something of an organized effort to get to the bottom of things, I think they decided to let the real story -- or maybe just some of it -- out. Given that the FCC records aren't kept terribly current, I can't say for sure whether this business about potential interference with ch 50 in Montclair is legit or not. But I suspect that any suggestion that WHYY reduced its signal power and altered its antenna pattern because it was either required or suggested by the FCC, is just not true. And they do seem to be making that kind of suggestion. If I see some documents to support that, then fine. As of now, what I have seen is WHYY's own application to reduce ch 50 power "to reduce costs." That certainly doesn't seem to make sense if the FCC were already requiring them to transmit at lower power.

So as I see it, they are still spinning the story.

Bottom line is that I imagine we could easily learn exactly what kind of sweetheart deal they made because I imagine it's public information. Maybe I'll make a pest of myself some more and ask them about it!

I still see their actions as contrary to their viewers/members' best interests. It's this "cost cutting" business that bothers me. The suggestion that I should just go get cable isn't endearing them to me either. If they had a chance to make some money by switching to ch 50, then fine. But to do it such that it's contrary to the best interests of their viewers -- and members -- is just plain wrong. The fact that just a small number of viewers are adversely affected doesn't count for much with me. A "small" bad thing is still a bad thing. And I was a member. I don't care whether or not I live in Philly -- and neither do they. I don't seem to recall any requirement that I actually live in Philly in order to be either a viewer or a contributor. They were only too happy to accept my donations notwithstanding my NJ residency. Any suggestion that only Philly residents can complain about WHYY is just plain dumb. Consider the source.

The good news -- given your information -- is that it sounds like I should be getting a good strong WHYY signal once they transition to digital 12. Of course, who knows when that might actually happen. Also, it means I'll have to be putting my large VHF/UHF antenna back up rather than going with the smaller UHF job. But I guess I had to do that anyway since somebody else down there will also be broadcasting VHF (WPVI?).

I think I'm "stuck" with Philly stations because I am just not getting anything out of NYC. I must be completely blocked. Maybe I'll get something after the transition, but I'm not counting on it.
post #648 of 3826 Old 02-18-2007, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesDax View Post

One question though. How would I go about finding out what my signal strengths are?

Germantown, 3rd floor is fairly high up compared to the rest of the city. Good spot. Being able to look right at where you need to go without any buildings in the way is 90% of the problem. The rest is up to your antenna.

Signal strength is probably in your TV menu somewhere. In general, the HD tuners will only give you signal strength for the ATSC ("digital") channels. For the NTSC ("analog") channels, the best way is to continue what you are already doing for KYW and just look for snow and reflections (ghosting). Turn the antenna for best picture / strongest channel and be aware that you may have to compromise. This holds true even if all the antennas are in the same spot, like Roxborough.
post #649 of 3826 Old 02-18-2007, 10:46 AM

T-Max,

This is just a 'Back of the envelope' estimate:

With an antenna about 1200 feet over the surrounding terrain, WHYY will have a range of about 45 miles to the horizon. An outdoor antenna at 25 feet will see out to about 7 miles. So a viewer 52 miles away might very well receive WHYY. I would think that distance also overlaps Montclair's coverage.

So I would not be so cynical about requirements to beam the power to the south and for power reduction as interference mitigation measures.

I think you are now 'Swimming Upstream' on this one! (Hi Hi)

--- CHAS

If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.
post #650 of 3826 Old 02-18-2007, 11:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIPAR View Post

T-Max,

This is just a 'Back of the envelope' estimate:

With an antenna about 1200 feet over the surrounding terrain, WHYY will have a range of about 45 miles to the horizon. An outdoor antenna at 25 feet will see out to about 7 miles. So a viewer 52 miles away might very well receive WHYY. I would think that distance also overlaps Montclair's coverage.

So I would not be so cynical about requirements to beam the power to the south and for power reduction as interference mitigation measures.

I think you are now 'Swimming Upstream' on this one! (Hi Hi)

--- CHAS

I was basing my guess as to my future reception of WHYY's digital signal on my past reception of their analog signal, which was (is) very good. Also, the fact that I get such good reception of everything else out of Roxborough would seem to suggest that I should get WHYY, no?

My antenna is actually more like 40+ feet above ground.

Overlap of Montclair should be a non-issue. The critical factor isn't distance, it's topography. The "mountains" completely block me from Montclair's signal. Everybody on my side of the mountains is similarly blocked. So there is no Montclair signal here to interfere with.

Those on the other side of the mountains who might be receiving Montclair are (obviously) blocked from WHYY's signal. Which is to say, WHYY's signal can't interfere with Montclair's signal because WHYY's signal is blocked (from interfering) by the mountains. Now, if you're going to tell me that the mountains aren't sufficient to "protect" Montclair's signal from interference from WHYY's signal (for legitimate technical reasons), then I'll accept that. Still, I see nothing to this point to indicate that WHYY has reduced its power and altered its pattern for any reasons other than its own voluntary actions (with the FCC's consent to their reduced-power application, of course).

Not sure what you mean by "swimming upstream." I'm not currently trying to get WHYY to do anything at this point. I'm resigned to the present state of affairs. I notified them to stop sending me membership stuff because I will no longer be a contributor.

End of discussion.
post #651 of 3826 Old 02-23-2007, 07:13 PM
AVS Special Member

anyone have problems with CBS the past 2 nights? I admittedly am having a problem with my amp, but seems like cbs is the only one taking a hit. It's just minor pixelation and the occasional streaky color spot on the screen.

57 inch Hitachi 57F710S
Tivo Premiere w/DB8 antenna which gets in VHF 6
Sony T60 2-160 drives unsubbed
Panasonic E80 Dvd recorder
post #652 of 3826 Old 02-23-2007, 08:49 PM

I had a problem with CBS and Fox for the past few days using some sub-par rabbit ears in North Western Camden county. Today, I found a Channel Master 4221 on my doorstep , and I rigged it up in the attic, pointed roughly towards the towers, and I haven't had any issues all night...I'm even receiving WHYY perfectly! No preamp, or anything of the sort.
post #653 of 3826 Old 02-24-2007, 05:57 AM

No problems here except that the audio level on NBC10 is low. I have to turn the volume up every time I watch NBC. This could be an NBC OTA broadcast issue.. Anybody experiencing the same thing?
post #654 of 3826 Old 02-24-2007, 06:18 AM - Thread Starter

Yes, 10.1 audio is low.
post #655 of 3826 Old 02-24-2007, 07:03 AM

I had some problems with all my broadcasts on Thursday, but it was really windy and I suspect that was creating oodles of multipath. It seems to have cleared up now
post #656 of 3826 Old 02-28-2007, 09:46 PM

Just found this forum. I just want to post my DTV reception experience.

I live in Penn Valley, right next to the Gladwyne entrance to I76 (which is right across the river from the big TV towers).
With rabbit ears I get:
CBS3
ABC6 (all 3)
NBC10 (all 2)
PBS12 (all 3)
WPHL17 (all 2)
FOX29
WYBE35
WGTW48 (all 5)
CW57
WUVP (65.1)
WFUT (65.2)

Sometimes I get 61.1, 61.2, 61.3 and 61.4 with the rabbit ears.

I have one of those big antennas which was put in our attic over 20 years ago...one of those roof antennas, just in my attic. Using that I get all four of the 61 channels mentioned above (61.1, 61.2, 61.3, 61.4), and I can sometimes get 23.1, 23.3, and 23.4 (NJN23 out of Trenton).

Just wanted to mention my experience.

Media Player Comparison Grid (work in progress):
http://mediaplayers.wiki-site.com/index.php/Main_Page
post #657 of 3826 Old 02-28-2007, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newsman View Post

I have started this thread, because the majority of the posts on the Philadelphia HDTV thread have been dealing w/ issues regarding Comcast, Verizon, and cable. I do not have cable, nor will I ever have cable. If you live in South Jersey, Delaware, or in and around Philadelphia and its suburbs, please feel free to post your Over-The-Air (OTA) issues, concerns, problems, comments, and discussions here. Let's try and help out one another on trying to resolve issues.

Philadelphia Area Digital Channel Listing

Call Letters (affiliation) Channel #s Transmitter Location
KYW-DT (CBS) 3.1 Roxborough
WPVI-DT (ABC) 6.1, 6.2, 6.3 Roxborough
WCAU-DT (NBC) 10.1, 10.2 Roxborough
WHYY-DT (PBS) 12.1, 12.2, 12.3 Roxborough
WPHL-DT (MNT) 17.1, 17.2 Roxborough
WYBE-DT (PBS) 35.1 Roxborough
WGTW-DT (TBN) 48.1 Roxborough
WPSG-DT (CW) 57.1 Roxborough

*Roxborough is a neighborhood in the city of Philadelphia.

Please help me edit this list and keep it up to date!

Compounded information from HDTV Magazine and TitanTV:
Channel# | Callsign | Affiliate | UHF Channel | Location | Height | Power | Status
3.1 KYWDT CBS3 26 Philadelphia, PA 336.0m 770.0kW Construction Permit
6.1 WPVIDT ABC6 64 Philadelphia, PA 382.0m 500.0kW Construction Permit Modification
6.2 WPVIDT2 ABC6 64 Philadelphia, PA 382.0m 500.0kW Construction Permit Modification
6.3 6abcnews ABC6 64 Philadelphia, PA 382.0m 500.0kW Construction Permit Modification
10.1 WCAUDT NBC10 67 Philadelphia, PA 352.1m 560.0kW Licensed
10.2 Weather+ NBC10 67 Philadelphia, PA 352.1m 560.0kW Licensed
12.1 WHYYDT PBS12 66 Philadelphia, PA 256.0m 87.0kW Application
12.2 WHYYDT2 PBS12 66 Philadelphia, PA 256.0m 87.0kW Application
12.3 WHYYDT3 PBS12 66 Philadelphia, PA 256.0m 87.0kW Application
17.1 WPHLDT WPHL17 54 Philadelphia, PA 330.4m 500.0kW Licensed
17.2 WPHLDT2 WPHL17 54 Philadelphia, PA 330.4m 500.0kW Licensed
23.1 WNJSDT1 NJN23 22 Camden, NJ 262.0m 197.0kW Construction Permit
23.2 WNJSDT2 NJN23 22 Camden, NJ 262.0m 197.0kW Construction Permit
23.3 WNJSDT3 NJN23 22 Camden, NJ 262.0m 197.0kW Construction Permit
23.4 WNJSDT4 NJN23 22 Camden, NJ 262.0m 197.0kW Construction Permit
23.5 WNJSDT5 NJN23 22 Camden, NJ 262.0m 197.0kW Construction Permit
29.1 WTXFDT FOX29 42 Philadelphia, PA 108.0m 1000kW Application
35.1 WYBEDT PBS35 34 Philadelphia, PA 319.0m 500.0kW Licensed
39.1 WLTVDT PBS39 62 Allentown, PA 162.0m 47.7kW Licensed
39.3 WLTVDT3 PBS39 62 Allentown, PA 162.0m 47.7kW Licensed
39.4 WLVTDT4 PBS39 62 Allentown, PA 162.0m 47.7kW Licensed
40.1 WMGMDT NBC Affil 36 Avalon, NJ 127.1m 205.0kW Licensed
44.1 WMCNDT WWAC53 44 Atlantic City, NJ 207.0m 200.0kW Construction Permit Modification
48.1 TBN WGTW48 27 Philadelphia, PA 330.0m 160.0kW Licensed
48.2 Church WGTW48 27 Philadelphia, PA 330.0m 160.0kW Licensed
48.3 JCTV WGTW48 27 Philadelphia, PA 330.0m 160.0kW Licensed
48.4 Enlace WGTW48 27 Philadelphia, PA 330.0m 160.0kW Licensed
48.5 SmleChld WGTW48 49 Philadelphia, PA 330.0m 160.0kW Licensed
51.1 WTVEDT WTVE51 49 Reading, PA 24.4m 0.6kW Licensed
52.1 WNJTDT NJN43 43 Trenton, NJ 282.0m 46.0kW Licensed
52.2 WNJTDT2 NJN43 43 Trenton, NJ 282.0m 46.0kW Licensed
52.3 WNJTDT3 NJN43 43 Trenton, NJ 282.0m 46.0kW Licensed
52.4 WNJTDT4 NJN43 43 Trenton, NJ 282.0m 46.0kW Licensed
52.5 WNJTDT5 NJN43 43 Trenton, NJ 282.0m 46.0kW Licensed
57.1 WPSGDT CW57 32 Philadelphia, PA 376.0m 250kW Licensed
60.1 WPBHDT WPBH60 9 Philadelphia, PA 146.6m 3.2kW Construction Permit Modification
61.1 WPPXDT PAX61 31 Philadelphia, PA 349.6m 200.0kW Licensed
61.2 qubo 31 Philadelphia, PA 349.6m 200.0kW Licensed
61.3 ION Life 31 Philadelphia, PA 349.6m 200.0kW Licensed
61.4 Worship 31 Philadelphia, PA 349.6m 200.0kW Licensed
62.1 WWSIDT Telemundo62 49 Tuckerton, NJ 295.7m 130.0kW Licensed
65.1 WUVPDT Univision 66 Philadelphia, PA 372.0m 500.0kW Licensed
65.2 WFUT Univision 66 Philadelphia, PA
69.1 WFMZDT WFMZ69 46 Allentown, PA 199.0m 400.0kW Construction Permit Modification
69.2 WFMZDT2 WFMZ69 46 Allentown, PA 199.0m 400.0kW Construction Permit Modification
69.3 WFMZDT3 WFMZ69 46 Allentown, PA

Clarification:
Philadelphia, PA = Roxborough, i.e. the towers acorss the river from the Gladwyne exit of I76.
Camden, NJ = Waterford Township, off Rt30, before Rt206
Tuckerton, NJ = about 22mi East of North of Atlantic City, NJ, where Rt539 meets the Garden State Parkway.
Avalon, NJ = a bit south of where Rt9 meets Rt80.

Notes:
HDTV Magazine makes note of the fact that stations are planning on more powerful stations:
12.1 WHYYDT PBS12 66 Philadelphia, PA 256.0m 337kW Construction Permit
12.2 WHYYDT2 PBS12 66 Philadelphia, PA 256.0m 337kW Construction Permit
12.3 WHYYDT3 PBS12 66 Philadelphia, PA 256.0m 337kW Construction Permit

Improvements: 337.0kW vs 87.0kW.

29.1 WTXFDT FOX29 42 Philadelphia, PA 276.0m 1000kW Construction Permit

Improvements: 276.0m vs 108.0m

51.1 WTVEDT WTVE51 49 Reading, PA 222.1m 900kW Construction Permit

Improvements: 222.1m vs 24.4m, 900kW vs 0.6kW, and instead of the tower being in the heart of Reading, it will be about 10mi East of Reading, closer to Boyertown.

Other notes:
TitanTV makes note of 69.3 (HDNET) and 23.2 (seoncd of five NJN23-Trenton channels) while HDTV magazine does not.
HDTV Magazine makes note of another 29.1 (FOXDT) about 1mi North of the main towers in Roxborough.

Media Player Comparison Grid (work in progress):
http://mediaplayers.wiki-site.com/index.php/Main_Page
post #658 of 3826 Old 03-01-2007, 03:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokar View Post

Just found this forum. I just want to post my DTV reception experience.

I live in Penn Valley, right next to the Gladwyne entrance to I76 (which is right across the river from the big TV towers).
With rabbit ears I get:
CBS3
ABC6 (all 3)
NBC10 (all 2)
PBS12 (all 3)
WPHL17 (all 2)
WYBE35
WGTW48 (all 5)
CW57
WUVP (65.1)
WFUT (65.2)

Sometimes I get 61.1, 61.2, 61.3 and 61.4 with the rabbit ears.

I have one of those big antennas which was put in our attic over 20 years ago...one of those roof antennas, just in my attic. Using that I get all four of the 61 channels mentioned above (61.1, 61.2, 61.3, 61.4), and I can sometimes get 23.1, 23.3, and 23.4 (NJN23 out of Trenton).

Just wanted to mention my experience.

How about Fox29?
post #659 of 3826 Old 03-01-2007, 08:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokar View Post

Compounded information from HDTV Magazine and TitanTV:
Channel# | Callsign | Affiliate | UHF Channel | Location | Height | Power | Status

Notes:
HDTV Magazine makes note of the fact that stations are planning on more powerful stations:
12.1 WHYYDT PBS12 66 Philadelphia, PA 256.0m 337kW Construction Permit
12.2 WHYYDT2 PBS12 66 Philadelphia, PA 256.0m 337kW Construction Permit
12.3 WHYYDT3 PBS12 66 Philadelphia, PA 256.0m 337kW Construction Permit

Tokar - Can you point me to where (specifically -- a link would be nice ) you got this information on WHYY? This info seems to indicate that they will be broadcasting on UHF 66. My information (from WHYY itself and elsewhere) indicates that they will be @ VHF 12.
post #660 of 3826 Old 03-01-2007, 11:00 AM
Advanced Member

I recently switched out my Terk HDTVo for a CM4221 and CM7777 and I can now get WHYY-DT again, though I ended up getting poor quality on WMCN-DT in the baragin (no loss, really; it shows nothing but infomercials. I could probably get it if I played with the aim somewhat) and I lost WTVE-DT out of Reading (no loss there either). Based on signal strength, WHYY-DT is operating on two (2) Duracell C-cell batteries :-).

I can get a lock on the Allentown station on 62 and the Bethlehem station on 9 (using the HDTVo for VHF) but not a good enough one to get a picture (considering the antenna is aimed 130 degrees off and my house is between the antenna and the stations, this is unsurprising). I do get WNJS-DT and WUVP-DT, which happen to be pretty much in-line with Roxborough from my location. Curiously, antennaweb has WNJT as a possibility but WNJS and WMCN are not listed.

I'm in Trappe on the SW side of Ridge Pike.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page