Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #721 of 3873 Old 03-15-2007, 05:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I hope CW 57 is added on Dishnetwork soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 3873 Old 03-16-2007, 01:33 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post

Anyone else having problems with WUVP lately? I used to get both digital and anlog pretty clearly, and now get analog with snow and digital not at all. Not that I need a Spanish channel, but I'd like to know if the problem is on their end or mine. (note that despite being listed as in Vineland, WUVP's transmitter is actually in Roxborough, same tower as WCAU. Unless they moved recently...)

No WUVP here in Elverson, PA which is 35 miles west of Roxborough. It use to come in great, then last week nothing. No digital no analog.
post #723 of 3873 Old 03-16-2007, 08:06 PM

anyone watching the NCAA Nova game from antenna? Comcast only has the SD broadcast on their HD channel. I called the CBS newsroom and was told "they can not offer HD for this game" I believe it may be due to the move from 5th and Market to the new location on Spring Garden. I'm just looking to see if anyone else had any details.
post #724 of 3873 Old 03-16-2007, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHillKL View Post

anyone watching the NCAA Nova game from antenna? Comcast only has the SD broadcast on their HD channel. I called the CBS newsroom and was told "they can not offer HD for this game" I believe it may be due to the move from 5th and Market to the new location on Spring Garden. I'm just looking to see if anyone else had any details.

I am thinking the "Flex" vs. "Constant" region issue is to blame. See:
CBS NCAA HD
post #725 of 3873 Old 03-16-2007, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillM View Post

I am thinking the "Flex" vs. "Constant" region issue is to blame. See:
CBS NCAA HD

I found it finally. Thank you.
post #726 of 3873 Old 03-17-2007, 12:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by georget View Post

No WUVP here in Elverson, PA which is 35 miles west of Roxborough. It use to come in great, then last week nothing. No digital no analog.

I continue to get it strong here (digitally -- both subchannels) as I did all day yesterday (every time I checked) and last night from 8PM - 10PM (stopped watching at about that time). They must have changed their antenna pattern if you guys used to get it and aren't getting it now(?)

They are definitely broadcasting, though the signal strength is still down from 95 to 85 (at present).

It's 2:48 PM as I post this.
post #727 of 3873 Old 03-18-2007, 12:34 PM
Advanced Member

It came back yesterday here. Still weaker than before, but quite receivable now.
post #728 of 3873 Old 03-19-2007, 07:30 AM
Advanced Member

After about three years, no less. It kept losing its mind and forgetting most of the channels, then it finally quit altogether. I was looking at Best Buy for a replacement and was thinking of getting another settop box but then I saw that LG has come out with a new DVD reocrder with a built-in ATSC tuner so I bought that instead. Works better than the old Motorola. If anyone is interested, my full review of the unit is here:

http://www.epinions.com/content_334627114628
post #729 of 3873 Old 03-19-2007, 03:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by otaguy View Post

After about three years, no less. It kept losing its mind and forgetting most of the channels, then it finally quit altogether. I was looking at Best Buy for a replacement and was thinking of getting another settop box but then I saw that LG has come out with a new DVD reocrder with a built-in ATSC tuner so I bought that instead. Works better than the old Motorola. If anyone is interested, my full review of the unit is here:

http://www.epinions.com/content_334627114628

Good review. I was frustrated by the lack of ATSC tuners available when I first got turned on to digital TV last January (late-comer for sure). I guess there are enough of them out there, but it seemed like there weren't a lot, and the ones I found were so damn expensive. So I went on the 'bay and found the Voom box and got two of them for ~$110. I had previously picked up a pair of Toshiba D-R4 DVD recorders on the bay for about the same amount of money. I seem to always buy two (or more) of everything that I get on the 'bay.

Don't even get me started on guitars. I really got more than a little out of control with those. The good news is that I could always re-sell them for more than I paid. Of course, first I'd have to be willing to part with them.

Anyway, the two Vooms give me the ability to watch one thing while recording another. And since I use -RW discs with the D-R4 when I'm recording stuff off the Voom, it's like a poor man's TiVo. I can transfer whatever I want to save to an -R disc, then re-use the -RW disc. Works great.

I imagine the price of ATSC tuners will come down pretty quick. And when the price of HD TV's comes down, I'll pick up one. I'm hoping to score one without a tuner at a good price now that all currently manufactured jobs have to have the ATSC tuner built in. I'm hoping they'll be dumping the non-tuner models at some point.

I'm also using a non-HD tv and I agree with you that the picture quality is outstanding. The TV I'm using is actually a garbage-picked 20" job (Hitachi) that my neighbor put out with a "works" sign on it. I grabbed it and was glad I did when my Sony 27" went kaput. That one will cost me ~$150 to fix (so the one guy I spoke to said) and I don't know if I'm gonna spring for that to fix it. It's a really nice set with a great picture and I'd love to be watching it instead, but it's still an NTSC tv and I should probably save the $$ for an HD job down the road, eh? We'll see. There's no rush.

Point being, even a rather mediocre tv produces a pretty outstanding picture via OTA digital. Some of the HD broadcasts are really outstanding.
post #730 of 3873 Old 03-20-2007, 09:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Max View Post

I was frustrated by the lack of ATSC tuners available when I first got turned on to digital TV last January (late-comer for sure).

Nah, you're not a late comer. There are millions of people out there who depend on OTA to get TV but who haven't even figured out that their sets are going to go dark in two years.
Quote:

I imagine the price of ATSC tuners will come down pretty quick. And when the price of HD TV's comes down, I'll pick up one. I'm hoping to score one without a tuner at a good price now that all currently manufactured jobs have to have the ATSC tuner built in. I'm hoping they'll be dumping the non-tuner models at some point.

I'm with you on this - I'm waiting for a) the price of HDTV sets to come down and b) for there to be more programing in HD before I get a HDTV. I don't really want to have a 16:9 set and spend most of the time with black pillars on either side watching 4:3 programs. The two programs I watch most, News Hour with Jim Lehrer and Nightly Business Report, both on PBS, are both still in SD.
Quote:

I'm also using a non-HD tv and I agree with you that the picture quality is outstanding. The TV I'm using is actually a garbage-picked 20" job (Hitachi) that my neighbor put out with a "works" sign on it. I grabbed it and was glad I did when my Sony 27" went kaput. That one will cost me ~$150 to fix (so the one guy I spoke to said) and I don't know if I'm gonna spring for that to fix it. It's a really nice set with a great picture and I'd love to be watching it instead, but it's still an NTSC tv and I should probably save the $$ for an HD job down the road, eh? We'll see. There's no rush.

Years ago it was worthwhile having a TV fixed, but no more. These days, by the time a piece of gear fails it's more cost effective to just junk it and buy a newer model with more up-to-date features. For example, I paid a whopping $320.99 for that Motorola HDT100 tuner but it's not worth even trying to get it fixed - first of all it's just a tuner and second it's an early generation tuner at that - the new ones are better at handling multipath and other reception problems. BTW I got my money's worth from that Motorola tuner - it cost me $107/year for the 3 years it lasted which is a lot less than I'd be spending for cable. For $229.99 I got a unit that has a tuner in it and also records to DVD. With TV's, your old 27" probably doesn't have all the new inputs and outputs (component, HDMI, etc) plus it doesn't have a ATSC tuner. I''d hold on to that $150 for when you spring for a HDTV. If nothing else you could but a brand new 27" SDTV with an ATSC tuner for ~$300.
post #731 of 3873 Old 03-24-2007, 12:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by otaguy View Post

....Years ago it was worthwhile having a TV fixed, but no more. These days, by the time a piece of gear fails it's more cost effective to just junk it and buy a newer model with more up-to-date features....

I hear ya on that otaguy, but I'm so damn cheap that I'm really tempted to go for it and get it fixed. I USED to know a guy who would fix it for free (just the cost of the part(s)) but I don't have that contact anymore. Damn!

I sure would prefer its picture to the one I'm watching now, mostly for SD stuff (with those damn side bars). The bigger the screen, the better I'd like it.

I'll most likely go to the library and read up on TV repair a bit. It's just a stupid reception thing -- it will work if the it's warm (hot) enough. I kept it goin' for awhile by putting a droplight under the back where the coax attaches. So you know it's just some stupid condenser or somethin'

And I really wish I had it now cuz I have the Phillies on CW57 right now!

I'm pulling for Ryan Howard to hit 60+ home runs this year or next year or whenever.

And I'm a freaking Yankee fan!! (Boo!).

Anything to lessen Bonds' "accomplishments." I hope he breaks his ankle or something on opening day and is out for the season.

By the way, I'd take the Phillies' TV announcers in a heartbeat. They actually let you enjoy the game and don't feel the need to fill every freaking second of air space with moronic talk. Sometimes ya get like 30 seconds or more of actual ballgame sounds and nothing else!

And that is sweet.

My favorite Yankee announcer in recent times was Jim Kaat, and he's now retired. He was only the color guy, but at least we got that much. The Yanks haven't had a good play-by-play guy since the old days.

Oh, I also like your ballpark (tho' I know you guys hate it for being a band box). Been there a few times.
post #732 of 3873 Old 03-25-2007, 08:30 PM

Hello
Am I the only person in the area scratching my head about how to tune in these two stations? My TV (a Sceptre 32" which is a great buy) only allows autoscan for digital stations - no way to "manually" tune in something not picked up by autoscan. I think most TVs are like that these days.
Now the problem.
When it autoscans it gets EITHER 23.3 or 23.5 but ne'er the twain!
Why?
Because the schedules of these two stations are such that one is off when the other is on. So the autoscan only picks up the one that's broadcasting at the time of the autoscan. Which is either one or the other - not both.
So what about that rare time when I want to catch up on my French lessons on Channel 23.3 at 4-5pm on Friday? I have to autoscan every week for it, because I usually leave the TV tuned to 23.5.

I just have to learn to live with this - right?
post #733 of 3873 Old 03-26-2007, 11:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scloughley View Post

...I just have to learn to live with this - right?

I'll let the experts correct me, but I tend to doubt it. Read your owner's manual and maybe go online to epinions or wherever to see if this is indeed true.

I have a retired Voom box that I'm using as a tuner and it just adds channels that it finds without completely "redoing" the entire channel lineup every time I scan. I believe this is the standard way these things work.

You may have to "save" the channels it finds (?), but there should be a way to just add channels to whatever it's already found and saved. Read the manual and see if it covers it.

BTW, my Voom finds ALL the subchannels, even the ones that aren't active at the moment. And someone here posted not long ago (read the last 3-4 pages of posts) something about the subchannels being just "part" of the main channel, which may have relevance to your problem (your tuner should be picking up the main channel signal and thus all the subchannels as well).

Of course, although my Voom picks up all the (3) subchannels of WLVT, and correctly identifies them, it can't seem to properly discriminate the two subchannels from the "main" subchannel (39.1). But that's a known problem with the Voom box and some PBS broadcasters. It "picks up" those 2 subchannels, but I'm getting no programming at all on 39.4, and the wrong programming on 39.3 (the same as on 39.1, which it shouldn't be).

But it does illustrate how touchy things can get. Still, I'd think your problem isn't really a problem and you can overcome it if you read your manual, etc.

Good luck.

P.S.: If you can't overcome this situation, I'd find another TV or tuner if I were you. I'm constantly turning my antenna to pick up this or that station and if I had to re-scan every time I'd go crazy. This is something that's very common (turning the antenna) so there HAS to be a way for your tuner to store all scanned channels. What I'm saying is that you should be able to just "add" the inactive subchannels later (when they're active) OR they should get picked up on the initial scan (even if they're not "active" when you scan -- which is what my Voom does).
post #734 of 3873 Old 03-26-2007, 11:57 AM

I'm hardly an Expert, but the Chan Scan on my Sharp Aquos will discard any previous channels in favour of what it found in the new scan.

I've never cared enough to look and see if there was a way around this, or to tune to stations I didn't receive in the last scan.
post #735 of 3873 Old 03-26-2007, 12:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Hello
Am I the only person in the area scratching my head about how to tune in these two stations? My TV (a Sceptre 32" which is a great buy) only allows autoscan for digital stations - no way to "manually" tune in something not picked up by autoscan. I think most TVs are like that these days.
Now the problem.
When it autoscans it gets EITHER 23.3 or 23.5 but ne'er the twain!
Why?
Because the schedules of these two stations are such that one is off when the other is on.

Now you've found out one reason why the TV _isn't_ such a great buy. My Sharp Aquos allows you to manually tune digital channels (just enter the _RF_ channel number as a digital channel), and properly updates the subchannel list of the digital channels it knows about when you tune to them.
post #736 of 3873 Old 03-26-2007, 07:26 PM

Thanks for all the responses, but it looks like I have to live with it. A 32" HDTV TV for $600 was a steal - even with this one deficiency. For the (generally) crap content that's beamed to us all, albeit in glorious HD, I don't need to spend another $400+ for one more sub-channel.
Mind you, the 23.5 HD shows appear to repeat and repeat and repeat...so after another day or two I'll have seen all their output and I'll just stick with 23.3 anyway. Anyway, thanks to all.
post #737 of 3873 Old 03-27-2007, 09:57 PM

Quote:

Thanks for all the responses, but it looks like I have to live with it. A 32" HDTV TV for $600 was a steal - even with this one deficiency. For the (generally) crap content that's beamed to us all, albeit in glorious HD, I don't need to spend another $400+ for one more sub-channel.
Mind you, the 23.5 HD shows appear to repeat and repeat and repeat...so after another day or two I'll have seen all their output and I'll just stick with 23.3 anyway. Anyway, thanks to all.

I have a Syntax Olevia 226V-S11. After channel scan, I can go into the TV setup menu and manually add/delete channels. I have not tried 23.3 and 23.5 personally. When all else fails, read the manual!
post #738 of 3873 Old 03-30-2007, 01:35 PM

For anyone interested, coverage maps for the local transmitters have been posted in this thread.

Best regards,
Andy
post #739 of 3873 Old 03-31-2007, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I've got the Philly transmitter and coverage mappings. The terrain mapping was very helpful. Attached is a .zip file with 2 pictures:

WHYY-DT - A station I can not receive OTA (along with a lot of others)
WPVI-DT - A station I can receive OTA

I had to down-size the resolution in order to fit within the AVS forum file limits. For WHYY-DT, note that the Northern NJ and Pocono mountains affect (block) the signals. I'm not explaining the rationale, I'm just reporting the results.

Amazing stuff. The terrain maps confirm that I'm in a mini "valley". At least I can see why I have reception problems (aside from all the trees). After experimenting with the mappings, it appears that I can receive everything in red, yellow, or green and blue/purple are out of range. That's for my configuration at my location.

I have a question in the OTA Software Tools thread on the meaning of the colors and how the data was generated. Will wait for a response.

WHYY-DT, WPVI-DT.zip 452.2490234375k . file
Attached Files
File Type: zip WHYY-DT, WPVI-DT.zip (452.2 KB, 3 views)
post #740 of 3873 Old 03-31-2007, 11:27 AM

I've been playing with it too. I'm a lot closer to the transmitters, but in my own sort of valley, so it's neat to see how the contours of the land around me influence the results.

The colours seem to correlate directly with what Antennaweb uses. I doubt that's just a coincidence ;-} Antennaweb's got their pie-wheel to tell you what kind of antenna you need for the station.
post #741 of 3873 Old 04-01-2007, 12:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekGirl View Post

I've got the Philly transmitter and coverage mappings...

Yea, yea, yea. But hey, did you see the Soundstage Frampton gig or not?

NJN has run three episodes in the past three weeks that got my attention: Rickie Lee Jones, Mark Knopfler & Emmylou Harris, and part I of Frampton. Part II is next Sunday at 1 AM.

Here's my reviews:

Rickie Lee was a bit disappointing, but it's Rickie Lee and ya take what you can get from her. I actually haven't watched it all the way thru yet (I recorded all of these), but I will when I get some time.

Frampton Part I was okay. I think Frampton fans will be pleased: he's still got it well enough. Actually, he doesn't sound much different than back in the day, Man. I've got it on right now and listening to "Do You Feel..." and it ain't half bad at all. He certainly does know his way around the fretboard, especially on that black three-pickup "Frampton Les Paul" he seems to favor. But he basically did the old standards and maybe a couple of new ones. I never was a big enough fan to get to know his repertoire; but if they were new, they weren't terribly memorable. I expect Part II might be better.

The Mark Knopfler / Emmylou Harris concert was OUTSTANDING. Now, I'm admittedly a big MK / Dire Straits fan, but I nevertheless think I'm being objective enough in saying this was an outstanding concert. I'm no particular fan of EH, but she fit right in and she's obviously pretty damn good. But it's MK that makes the show great -- that and the fact that he had the heart and guts of Dire Straits backing him up. An OUTSTANDING band. Have I said "outstanding" enough yet?

Highly recommended. I made two permanent copies just in case one gets damaged somehow. This was Good Stuff!!

Set list (in order):

Right Now
Red Dirt Girl
Done With Bonaparte
Romeo and Juliet
This Is Us
All The Roadrunning
Speedway To Nazareth
Our Shangri-La
Why Worry

I think I actually like this live version of Romeo and Juliet better than the original. Which is saying a lot, because I REALLY like the original. (How 'bout it?)
post #742 of 3873 Old 04-01-2007, 03:33 PM

Hi, I'm in Cinnaminson in NJ and for the past week have been getting bad reception on 10.1 Anyone else been having any problems? I have a DB8 antenna on a 10 foot mast on the roof a 2 story house and usually get perfect reception. Does anyone know if they changed anything? New antenna location or signal strength or something? Thanks for any help.

Tony
post #743 of 3873 Old 04-01-2007, 04:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyb84 View Post

Hi, I'm in Cinnaminson in NJ and for the past week have been getting bad reception on 10.1 Anyone else been having any problems? I have a DB8 antenna on a 10 foot mast on the roof a 2 story house and usually get perfect reception. Does anyone know if they changed anything? New antenna location or signal strength or something? Thanks for any help.

Tony

Funny you should mention it because I was thinking of posting to ask if 10.1 had changed for the BETTER. I haven't tuned to it in quite a few days (weeks?) but I did today even tho' I had my antenna turned toward Bethlehem (to get WLVT) instead of toward Philly. And I was able to bring in 10.1 even tho' it wasn't perfect. That was a surprise because it's normally my weakest station when turned toward Philly and I've never before gotten it when I'm pointed toward Bethlehem (I'm directly East of Bethlehem).
post #744 of 3873 Old 04-04-2007, 11:56 AM

Is WPVI "bottoming out" for anyone else?

I know I don't have the most ideal antenna setup, but my WPVI problems seem to be a little different. Most of my stations that come in strong (KYW, WTXF, WCAU) will be solid, with the occasional pixelation issue. Looks like multipath, really. But I'm at peace with that.

WPVI, I'll sit there staring at my signal strength, and it'll be mid-80s and then drop to zero. Screen goes black. Then, about a second later, comes back up normal. Will run like that for a few minutes then bottom out again. Picture looks great until that happens.

FWIW, I have a DB2 antenna and a Terrestrial Digital PA-16 pre-amp. Antenna is inside, hanging in the window, not facing the antennas directly (can't). Hooked up to my TiVo Series3.

Just wondering if this is me and my crazy setup, or if others are experiencing it too.
post #745 of 3873 Old 04-04-2007, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter

I have not been experiencing the problems you have with WPVI. I wonder if it is your setup.
post #746 of 3873 Old 04-05-2007, 05:27 AM

It probably is. Last night during Lost it wasn't too bad. It's probably just an extremely inconveniently placed tree or something....

Just my luck. I finally get Fox 29 to not suck, and I lose channel 6. I need to move so I can put up a real antenna ;-}
post #747 of 3873 Old 04-05-2007, 05:55 AM

Liked: 11
Channel 6 has always been hit or miss for me. I get a signal strength of 95 and then poof, no picture, no signal, then a strength of 98. I am gong to stick an antenna in my attic when it finally warms up to see if it helps, I am using a Terk on top of my set. It gets all of the other stations without any problems.

Dave
post #748 of 3873 Old 04-05-2007, 07:16 AM

Try these 3 things:

1) If you have an FM trap, turn it in the opposite direction (if it's on, turn it off, or vice versa)

2) Slightly tweak your antenna to the left (and right) a very minor amount (inches) and see if that helps)

3) If you have splitters after your amp, take them out and home run to your source....see if that helps.

Sometime back I had the same problem and thru movin the antenna a slight bit I got much more consistant results. The fact that you can pull 80+% means that to some degree you are seeing it (hopefully not just because of the bouncing signals).

My 4228 is in the attic too, amp at the mast w/ the injector in the basement (70ft), then splt to 2 different tv's.

Deptford NJ here... 15+ miles out on the other side of CC and get all the Philly channels at 90%+
post #749 of 3873 Old 04-05-2007, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

earlier in this thread i posted my issue. My levitron amp has a flaky fm trap. When i get no signal, i flip the switch, even back and forth, and i always get a perfect pic after. Always.

i've been remiss in buying a true amp.preamp but should soon

57 inch Hitachi 57F710S
Tivo Premiere w/DB8 antenna which gets in VHF 6
Sony T60 2-160 drives unsubbed
Panasonic E80 Dvd recorder
post #750 of 3873 Old 04-06-2007, 08:00 PM
AVS Special Member

CBS CSI and NCIS no voice beginning of shows

Was this just OTA Philly? Or the shows this week?

I say it was the shows as commercials were fine. What gives?

57 inch Hitachi 57F710S
Tivo Premiere w/DB8 antenna which gets in VHF 6
Sony T60 2-160 drives unsubbed
Panasonic E80 Dvd recorder
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page