Abilene, TX - HDTV - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 1227 Old 11-06-2007, 12:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Nope both are OTA analog, FOX-15 is just the plain old FOX station and channel 42 is that My Network station. I never watch it but it's there. They really need to go digital, badly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 1227 Old 11-06-2007, 01:23 PM

Fox does need to go digital for sure but they aren't until they are forced according to the mefoxabilene blogs.

I wonder how many people are actually watching Fox only with an analog antenna and how many of those would gladly switch to a digital box if it meant they could get a crystal clear OTA picture.

Just wondering.
post #273 of 1227 Old 11-08-2007, 06:43 PM

I don't pay a dime for TV, everything I watch comes in over the air. I live in Sweetwater and get KRBC, KTAB, CW, KTXS. digitally and watch those channels all the time. I watch maybe an hour or two on FOX a week, and that's not easy. Believe me, that hour or two are programs I really want to see. The wind generators mess with FOX 15 too much, so I usually watch that programming on the FOX repeater channel 35. But even 35 is messy. Point is, I don't know about others who are OTA only, but I don't watch a lot of FOX, and it is absolutely because I really can't stand to look at it.
post #274 of 1227 Old 11-08-2007, 09:39 PM

So I have got to think anyone else that is watching OTA Analog FOX feels the same way you do, that it is really crappy.

I just think they would make people 100 times happier if they went ahead and switched to digital and made sure everyone knows that to (those that only have analog TVs) that the $40 coupon is readily available for the digital converter boxes. Of course I know these coupons are not yet available but when they are FOX needs to jump the analog ship.

It is a win win situation for everyone analog viewers get a crystal clear picture and much better reception...digital TV owners get HD.
post #275 of 1227 Old 11-09-2007, 06:14 AM - Thread Starter

OTA Fox around here has always been terrible. Several years ago there was a religious radio station that interferred with the audio and you could always hear it in the background. That lasted for months even though numerous people complained about it. The color and picture quality has always been awful, even with a strong signal. I never watch Fox OTA. I don't even have analog tuners on my 2 main TV sets. Fortunately, the Cowboys have been on CBS, NBC and ESPN a lot. If I have to watch them on Fox, I go to a bar.
post #276 of 1227 Old 11-10-2007, 09:33 AM

I would say the only time most people watch our faux station is during prime time. They shot themselves in the foot removing Everbody Loves Raymond and Friends out of the 6-7 time slot. I have seen a couple of quick advertisements on their station begging people to register to win the family guy dvd (season 1 & 2 which came out in 2002) they have the word "please" highlighted in the commercial. Also who begs for people to enter a contest?
post #277 of 1227 Old 11-10-2007, 04:32 PM

My next door neighbor is strictly OTA, but his TV is analog. I have no doubt that if one day he had nothing to watch, he would do what he had to do to get digital. He already knows analog is on it's way out, I think he's just not in any hurry because, for now, he still has a signal. That said, I too think things should just move on along to digital right now. My main concern is that if KXVA can't do any better with a digital broadcast than they do with the current analog broadcast, Sweetwater is in trouble. KXVA will never get a watchable signal here through that line of wind towers. Time will tell.
post #278 of 1227 Old 11-10-2007, 09:28 PM

I have posted a few times about thinking about going to D* and that they promised me I could get distant networks. Fact is, every time I call D* I get a different answer. The big problem is: Since D* doesn't carry our locals here in Abilene, and their new HD box won't record OTA, I'm afraid they are in bad shape in Abilene for the people that watch time-shifted tv like me. Here's my question: I have Suddenlink now and am pretty satisfied with their service. The only think I don't like about them is that I can't record the KTXS OTA on my HDDVR. I have been thinking about getting the TIVO HD DVR that does record OTA and supposedly uses cable cards to get the Suddenlink digital channels. Anyone have any experience with this or any advice?

Question #2 Is the CW OTA HD? If not is it digital? Widescreen? I watch Smallville and would like to watch it the way it was filmed.
post #279 of 1227 Old 11-11-2007, 01:54 AM

The CW is a 480 digital OTA simulcast signal on channel 12.2, it's using the KTXS carrier signal. For me it's ok but tends to break up when the wind blow or it rains. I have Dish Network and subscribe to the SD Super Stations package which gives you a number of CW stations so I record Smallville off them while I watch Survivor on KTAB OTA. I've had the most trouble receiving KTXS digital signal while KRBC & KTAB has been almost flawless. For recording HD OTA programming I use a Hisense-2010 ATSC HD tuner box hooked up to a Panasonic DVD-RAM recorder. The Hisense down converts the OTA HD signal to 480 and it gives a pretty nice picture quality. It's not HD but is very clear.
post #280 of 1227 Old 11-11-2007, 04:58 PM
adb
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
[quote=abileneguy2005;12183620] , and their new HD box won't record OTA,

Just to clarify--D*'s new HDDVR box will let you record OTA locals here in Abilene in HD.
post #281 of 1227 Old 11-11-2007, 09:26 PM

[quote=adb;12189013]
Quote:
Originally Posted by abileneguy2005 View Post

, and their new HD box won't record OTA,

Just to clarify--D*'s new HDDVR box will let you record OTA locals here in Abilene in HD.

D*'s brand new HDDVR box, the HR21 will not allow you to record OTA. The HR20 will, but they have stopped making it, and D* could not guarantee that I would get an HR20.
post #282 of 1227 Old 11-12-2007, 04:46 AM

[quote=abileneguy2005;12190891]
Quote:
Originally Posted by adb View Post

D*'s brand new HDDVR box, the HR21 will not allow you to record OTA. The HR20 will, but they have stopped making it, and D* could not guarantee that I would get an HR20.

Actually, they've stopped making the HR20-700. The HR20-100 is still in production and has an OTA tuner.

Mark Jones
post #283 of 1227 Old 11-12-2007, 06:59 AM
adb
AVS Special Member

majones
Enhanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adb

We need to make sure we correctly state who makes a post. In this case the above post was not mine.
post #284 of 1227 Old 11-18-2007, 11:33 PM

Ok, so forgive my ignorance again. The KTXS and WB OTA signals here in Abilene are digital but not HDTV. Are they widescreen?

Besides Direct TV and TIVO HD, what are my options for recording OTA signals if I'm a Suddenlink Digital Cable subscriber?
post #285 of 1227 Old 11-19-2007, 12:02 AM

The KTXS signal is HD the signal is 720p while the simulcast CW is not HD but is digital. KTXS is widescreen when the programming demands it LOST, UGLY BETTY, and the like are all widescreen. The CW at 480 I believe is not widescreen because most of what I have seen is formatted to the 4x3 aspect ratio. My TV is 16x9 and to make the CW picture fill the screen I have to use the wide-zoom feature on my set. Since I do not have either Sudden Link nor TIVO I cannot venture a guess to your second question.
post #286 of 1227 Old 11-19-2007, 12:13 AM

I'm talking strictly about the free over the air signals that you get when using your "rabbit ears" or external outdoor antenna.
post #287 of 1227 Old 11-19-2007, 09:42 AM

I just have ota, when a program on KTXS is in HD it will fill your screen. When the program is not in HD you will see black bars on the side. On my 32 inch hdtv the CW is full screen without having to zoom. The CW is not in HD but it is upscaled to 480p
post #288 of 1227 Old 11-23-2007, 03:49 PM

Anyone have any advice on how to record OTA HD locals using an omnidirectional antenaa? Can you record them with a dvd recorder? Can the recorder be timed?
post #289 of 1227 Old 11-24-2007, 09:00 AM
adb
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Anyone have any advice on how to record OTA HD locals using an omnidirectional antenaa? Can you record them with a dvd recorder? Can the recorder be timed?

If I understand what you are asking, you of course need the receiver which allows you to pick up OTA signals as well as the ability of the receiver to output that signal. On my HR 20 DVR I can take an over the air signal as well as satellite and have a DVD recorder record it.
post #290 of 1227 Old 11-24-2007, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adb View Post

If I understand what you are asking, you of course need the receiver which allows you to pick up OTA signals as well as the ability of the receiver to output that signal. On my HR 20 DVR I can take an over the air signal as well as satellite and have a DVD recorder record it.

I have Suddenlink Digital Cable and their HD DVR does not record OTA. I would like to record KTXS and maybe the CW. I am wondering what my options are.
post #291 of 1227 Old 11-25-2007, 11:12 AM
adb
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have Suddenlink Digital Cable and their HD DVR does not record OTA. I would like to record KTXS and maybe the CW. I am wondering what my options are.

You could go on ebay and get a used Sony HD200 which will let you receive over the air, without being activated, and play that into a VCR or DVD.
post #292 of 1227 Old 11-27-2007, 06:20 AM
adb
AVS Special Member

Heard yesterday from a pretty reputable source that Direct TV will put in Abilene locals, probably in Jan. and probably in HD. Interesting anyway.
post #293 of 1227 Old 11-27-2007, 10:42 AM

It would be interesting for sure but I have been hearing that rumor (minus the HD part) for at least 2 years now and it is always from someone in the know.

I would consider switching but since they charge for their HD DVR and from what i have read it is widely considered to be inferior to the DISH HD DVR, I will more than likely stick it out with them.

I think it could help in DISH getting our locals up in HD though, couldn'thurt at least.
post #294 of 1227 Old 11-27-2007, 03:49 PM
adb
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprint67 View Post

It would be interesting for sure but I have been hearing that rumor (minus the HD part) for at least 2 years now and it is always from someone in the know.

I would consider switching but since they charge for their HD DVR and from what i have read it is widely considered to be inferior to the DISH HD DVR, I will more than likely stick it out with them.

I think it could help in DISH getting our locals up in HD though, couldn'thurt at least.

This person, who is in the business, said that they had just finished Midland and Abilene was next. Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

I'm not sure Dish has the bandwith available right now to make theirs HD.
post #295 of 1227 Old 11-28-2007, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by styrenejunkie View Post

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum, and I apologize that this post may not be exactly on topic, but I need comments from the Abilene community.

Please tell me if anyone has experience with using Suddenlink and Tivo as a combination. I currently get Expanded Basic cable (analog), and have the ability to pick up OTA digital signals from ABC, CBS and NBC. My question is whether I will need cable cards from Suddenlink for the Tivo unit to make all of this work. Also, what about if I went digital/HD with Suddenlink...would I need cable cards at that point?

Thanks for the help! I'll have more questions in the future, but that's it for now.

Brian

Hey bud why would you even consider high definition on cable you pay more for less Dish network in my experience has the best equipment Dishnetworks
HD dvr is the best on the market and there equipment outweighs everything and its the cheapest deal now Dish has about 25 channels in HD Cable has about 12 Direct Tv has around 70 but there tivo does not hold up to dishes dvr and Direct is more expensive its all about What you like. There are pros and cons to all of them. Im a sales rep I sale dish and direct T v I DONT SELL PRODUCT i SERVICE PEOPLES LIKES AND try to help them get what makes them happy rock on
post #296 of 1227 Old 11-28-2007, 09:49 PM

True True Im a sales rep I sale both Dish and Direct and My boss is saying direct is getting locals I still favor dish I still think the quality of the equipment is better and the price but if people are happier with Direct we are happy to install it for them.
post #297 of 1227 Old 11-28-2007, 09:55 PM

Hey bud your on target Ive worked as a sales rep for a company here in abilene that installs both dish and direct and Dishnetwork has the better HD dvr direct has more HD channels at the moment but dish is cheaper for better equipment Dish will close the Gap in the amount of HD channels that it has Direct has a few things that people prefer to watch and if that makes them happy then were happy I myself use dish as do most of our office I believe one guy uses
Direct. Analog T vs are becoming obsolete so my best advice for anyone buying a T v buy an H D Tv!!!!!!!!
post #298 of 1227 Old 11-28-2007, 10:01 PM

Hey you know what Im a Dish and direct sales rep and I have at times used cable in my home because I couldnt have a satellite up do to the landlords wishes,and I can say that I have met atleat three good cable techs that acted awesome and very professional and I have spoken on the phone to atleast one suddenlink cs rep that really was helpful and curteous. So I can tip my hat to the cable people as well.
post #299 of 1227 Old 12-03-2007, 09:37 AM

Just ran across this little nugget: DirecTV is adding local HD channels in Waco. Not sure exactly what that means for the previously-cited rumors about our market, though.

(and no, I'm not jsalaz33 in disguise....)
post #300 of 1227 Old 12-03-2007, 10:56 AM - Thread Starter

Waco - Temple - College Station - Bryan already had DirecTV standard locals so this means they are being upgraded to HD locals. They are a much larger market area than Abilene so it is not surprising they would get HD locals on DirecTV before Abilene. At this point, I would guess that DirecTV would skip ever carrying Abilene SD locals and just go straight to HD, if they ever work their way that far down the list.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page