Abilene, TX - HDTV - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 1226 Old 01-31-2008, 02:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well, I don't know about legalities and such and I don't know where this Fox broadcast is coming from but...there is local advertising on it which begs a good question:
Since KXVA apparently got shafted in that their digital channel is the same as their analog...why couldn't they use a feed like this in the interim until they shut off analog? I guess it's just wishful thinking that this could possibly last longer than just through Sunday.

"The quickest way to get over your fear of plasma is to actually own *one"- joemama127

*or 3 :)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 1226 Old 02-01-2008, 12:52 AM

So those of us who get their network programing via antenna are stuck with the crappy FOX analog signal for the game. YIPPY can't wait.
post #363 of 1226 Old 02-01-2008, 06:34 AM

KIDY/FOX in San Angelo went HD a few weeks ago. Could Suddenlink be getting a temp feed from them?

C-
post #364 of 1226 Old 02-01-2008, 06:36 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
It's possible that KXVA may have bought the network HD receiver for Suddenlink since they aren't allowed by the FCC to have a simultaneous on-air HD companion station (they went on the air analog after the cutoff date). I know of other stations that have done this.

Knowledge is Power. Trust but Verify.
post #365 of 1226 Old 02-04-2008, 07:06 AM - Thread Starter

If anyone watched the Superbowl in HD via Suddenlink, how was it? What station was it they were broadcasting? Has that Fox HD channel now been removed from Suddenlink? I am just curious as Suddenlink might be a viable option for me once they have all 4 major networks in HD.
post #366 of 1226 Old 02-04-2008, 07:22 AM

I am interested in how it looked too. I have read that Fox has less than stellar HD offering most of the time and I am really curious how it compares to NBC and CBS on NFL games.
post #367 of 1226 Old 02-04-2008, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

To answer your questions....it looked great, not quite as sharp as KTAB but on par with KRBC HD broadcasts. Out of curiosity I checked this morning and the HD feed was still going but it didn't seem to be normal Fox programming?? I didn't have much time to check it out though....I'm crossing my fingers that it will still be there for me to watch "The Sarah Connor chronicles" tonight in HD.

edit- you don't need Suddenlinks full blown HD package (which still isn't worth it) to recieve local HD broadcasts...just the basic plus an ATSC/QAM tuner. (but ABC still doesn't come through QAM)

"The quickest way to get over your fear of plasma is to actually own *one"- joemama127

post #368 of 1226 Old 02-04-2008, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Ok, just to confirm...I just came home for lunch and have some good news and some bad news:

Good-
Suddenlink QAM 115.1 is still on and still HD

Bad-
It is a Dixie Chicks concert on "MHD" (music High definition, affiliated with MTV/VH1) and the only commercials seem to be Nissan.

Summary-
Looks like the Fox feed is indeed gone and replaced with a HD placeholder.

post #369 of 1226 Old 02-06-2008, 05:37 AM

Hopefully this will push along HD

From the Abilene Reporter News
www.reporternews.com/news...

The sale of the San Angelo broadcasting company that owns Abilene's Fox affiliate should have little effect on programming, said Bill Carter president of Sage Broadcasting.

On Monday Carter announced the sale of Sage -- currently owned by the Shindler family of Houston -- to Houston-based Bayou City Broadcasting, but he would not release the deal's value, citing a confidentiality agreement.

Although Bayou City will assume the station's programming responsibilities soon, viewers will see little change and the sale will not affect the station's staff, Carter said.

"I'll just be sitting in another room as a non-decision maker," he said.

The sale depends on approval from the Federal Communications Commission, which could take 45 to 60 days.

Pending the FCC's approval, Bayou City will assume programming responsibilities immediately through a local market agreement.

KXVA-TV (channel six on SunddenLink) began broadcasting in Abilene in 2001. Previously, KIDZ-TV had broadcast Fox programming on a low-power signal since 1992, according to Reporter-News archives.

Sage's San Angelo Fox affiliate, KIDY-TV, was an original Fox Network station that began broadcasting in 1986.

All of Sage's Big Country affiliates were included in the deal with Bayou City, including My Network TV affiliates KIDZ-LP Abilene, KIDU-LP Stamford, KIDB-CA Brownwood, KIDB-CA Sweetwater and KIDV-LP in Albany. Fox Broadcasting Company owns MyNetworkTV, which began broadcasting in 2006 on former UPN and WB affiliates.

Bayou City Broadcasting was recently founded by its president and chief executive officer DuJuan McCoy, a 19-year veteran of television sales, and Sage's stations are its first acquisition, Carter said.
post #370 of 1226 Old 02-06-2008, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

T-bone-
I hope you're right, but the article states "little effect on programming" and then again "viewers will see little change"...so that doesn't sound too promising. Right now I would just settle for Suddenlink carrying KTXS (ABC) digital signal so I could at least have all 3 currently available digital feeds without having to use an antenna for one of them.

post #371 of 1226 Old 02-07-2008, 04:02 PM - Thread Starter

Broadcasting & Cable News http://www.broadcastingcable.com/art...html?rssid=193 refers to Bayou City Broadcasting as a "new group." I assume that means this company has no other stations and no track record of operating stations. I could not find any other stations which were owned by Bayou City Broadcasting. I would guess that they will probably not have the financial strength to make major improvements (like HD) very soon.
post #372 of 1226 Old 02-07-2008, 05:59 PM
adb
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdharris View Post

Broadcasting & Cable News http://www.broadcastingcable.com/art...html?rssid=193 refers to Bayou City Broadcasting as a "new group." I assume that means this company has no other stations and no track record of operating stations. I could not find any other stations which were owned by Bayou City Broadcasting. I would guess that they will probably not have the financial strength to make major improvements (like HD) very soon.

Dick

I have both cable and D* and Fox over D* was by far better than over the cable IMO.
post #373 of 1226 Old 02-15-2008, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

I know only a handful of us post in this thread and only check it sporadically but...I would like to make a request:

Anyone who has Suddenlink cable and/or info about KTXS (ABC) passing through digital to Suddenlink could please give me a PM?

My problem is that I only have Suddenlink expanded basic and get my HD fix through a QAM tuner and my Blu-ray/HD-DVD players. I also have a Philips standalone HDD/DVD recorder that I use like a Tivo to record shows...both it and my tv only have one coax input so I have to choose between either getting analog cable + QAM digital or simply the locals via antenna but not both at the same time. With antenna I can get KTXS, KRBC, and KTAB but none of the basic cable channels....with analog/QAM I can get KRBC, KTAB and all the basic cable channels. Hooking up an antenna and doing an OTA scan every time I want to record Lost is a major PITA so I would appreciate any info about Suddenlink/KTXS. Thanks in advance..Joe

post #374 of 1226 Old 02-15-2008, 09:32 PM

I wish I could help, but KTXS not being on Suddenlink was 99% of the reason I switched to D*. Suddenlink would never give me an answer. I can now record KRBC, KTXS and KTAB ota with my HR20 (this box was not easy to get...btw). I like DirecTV but I would have stayed with Suddenlink if only I could watch LOST and a few other things in HD and be able to record them.

Here is my question: When Fox goes digital in Abilene will it be broadcast from San Angelo? Will I be able to pick it up ota? The REALLY annoying part about having Directv in Abilene is I don't get Fox at all. I could watch it with my bunny ears but I wouldn't be able to record it.

The ironic thing is: Really the only reason I switched to D* was so I could record Lost on KTXS with their HR20 box. It's the only show I watch on ABC, and it does look awesome, I would never go back. BUT...I watch way more shows on Fox (Prison Break, Terminator, 24 etc.) but now I don't get it. I always end up downloading a widescreen version anyway and watch it on my computer or burn it to dvd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemama127 View Post

I know only a handful of us post in this thread and only check it sporadically but...I would like to make a request:

Anyone who has Suddenlink cable and/or info about KTXS (ABC) passing through digital to Suddenlink could please give me a PM?

My problem is that I only have Suddenlink expanded basic and get my HD fix through a QAM tuner and my Blu-ray/HD-DVD players. I also have a Philips standalone HDD/DVD recorder that I use like a Tivo to record shows...both it and my tv only have one coax input so I have to choose between either getting analog cable + QAM digital or simply the locals via antenna but not both at the same time. With antenna I can get KTXS, KRBC, and KTAB but none of the basic cable channels....with analog/QAM I can get KRBC, KTAB and all the basic cable channels. Hooking up an antenna and doing an OTA scan every time I want to record Lost is a major PITA so I would appreciate any info about Suddenlink/KTXS. Thanks in advance..Joe

post #375 of 1226 Old 02-18-2008, 04:53 PM

I have SuddenLink analog cable, and have had for years, and recently purchased an HDTV in anticipation of the migration to digital. I have no HD equipment besides the television and am lost about where to go for programming. I've seen, and heard, the RPM Direct ads and saw DirectTV brochures in the box stores...I'd like local channels in addition to "cable" programming from the same (preferrably with some HD) source. Any advice for a technical moron?
post #376 of 1226 Old 02-18-2008, 09:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RR57 View Post

I have SuddenLink analog cable, and have had for years, and recently purchased an HDTV in anticipation of the migration to digital. I have no HD equipment besides the television and am lost about where to go for programming. I've seen, and heard, the RPM Direct ads and saw DirectTV brochures in the box stores...I'd like local channels in addition to "cable" programming from the same (preferrably with some HD) source. Any advice for a technical moron?

There is no perfect solution for HD in Abilene...
1. Suddenlink- only passes through 2 of 3 available digital locals (NBC, CBS but not ABC) and has a paltry handful of other HD channels.

2. Dish Network- Doesn't pass through ANY of the available local digitals (analog only) and the HD lineup on their lowest tier isn't any better than Suddenlink

3. DirectTV- Doesn't currently have any locals passed through digital or otherwise (iirc) yet has the most decent lineup of other HD channels. You have to have a separate antenna/dish for locals

My solution is to use the built in QAM tuner in my tv (and also Philips DVR) to get available digital (including HD) with the locals..and analog expanded basic for the rest. Discovery HD, ESPN HD and TNTHD are pretty nice...but not worth the price premium and rental on a box. As I already explained above, it is very difficult for me to use a combo of QAM for NBC, CBS and then an antenna for ABC. Drives me crazy..

edit- also congrats on the new tv....I hope you bought it because you wanted it and not because a salesman (or anyone else) told you that your tv would be worthless in 09. Being hooked up to Suddenlink means that you probably wouldn't even need one of those government coupon converter boxes. I really hate that retailers are making a killing off of "digital cutoff" misinformation.

post #377 of 1226 Old 03-01-2008, 06:47 AM
adb
AVS Special Member

Not a great deal going on here so I'll pass along a couple of rumors I heard yesterday. I was talking to a couple of installers and they told me that they had been told that Fox would be digital in June and D* would also. We'll just have to wait and see if there is anything to that.

Some times folks get confused about the mandated change to Digital the first part of next year. It is simply mandated that it must be digital, however there is nothing that mandates the digital must also be HD. I can't imagine not making a station HD along with digital other than the additional coast involved.
post #378 of 1226 Old 03-01-2008, 07:29 AM

Acording to dtv2009.org/lowpower low power stations don't have to go digital in 2009. If we want to watch My Network TV we will have to switch back and forth from the digital converter if you buy one. The digital converters approved for the government coupon don't have an analog tuner just digital.

From the website:

Currently there is no requirement for translators and low-power stations to convert to digital. While some LPTV and translator stations will convert to digital by February 17, 2009, others will transition after February 2009, and many will continue to broadcast in analog until required to change by the FCC.
post #379 of 1226 Old 03-01-2008, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-bone2006 View Post

Acording to dtv2009.org/lowpower low power stations don't have to go digital in 2009. If we want to watch My Network TV we will have to switch back and forth from the digital converter if you buy one. The digital converters approved for the government coupon don't have an analog tuner just digital.

From the website:

Currently there is no requirement for translators and low-power stations to convert to digital. While some LPTV and translator stations will convert to digital by February 17, 2009, others will transition after February 2009, and many will continue to broadcast in analog until required to change by the FCC.

This is what worries me with KXVA...since they can only switch to digital by cutting off their OTA viewers...combined with the loophole for low power stations...I can see them holding off far longer than June. The only saving grace will be if their advertising dollars start dropping dramatically since they are the last analog only local in the area. Many people I know will only watch Fox when there is no other choice (NFL football, other sports) but get hooked on primetime shows on other networks simply because they look better/are available in HD.

It drives me insane that KTXS and Suddenlink after all this time still haven't worked out their differences...I have to use a combination of QAM and rabbit ears just to get all 3 digital locals. Will KTXS still be holding out once KXVA goes digital? If so then they could become the odd man out...many people won't go to the trouble that I do and will simply notice that ABC doesn't "look as good" on cable as the other stations..

post #380 of 1226 Old 03-02-2008, 06:27 AM
adb
AVS Special Member

Last night I was only getting a signal strength of 25 to 30 for KTXS and most of the time I was getting no readings at all. I received several calls from friends that they had lost KTXS most of the time. This morning everything is fine and the signal strength is running 55 to 65 percent which is the most I get for this station. Sure do wish they would boost their power in order to avoid this type of reception.
post #381 of 1226 Old 03-02-2008, 10:40 AM

I gotta tell you except for our local Fox station not broadcasting in digital, and thus no HD, I am extremely happy where Abilene is at in the HD roll out. We are in a small market, we should count ourselves very fortunate we get anything much less 3 of the 4 major networks in HD.

I have Dish Network with tons of HD channels and with my OTA antennas I can't remember the last time that I have had breakup on any of the local stations or missed a recording on my DVR.

I contniued to be amazed as to why those of you that gripe about Suddenlink and D* don't just switch to E*. You get a FREE HD DVR (the best available in the business IMO), you get to record EVERY local station on the DVR (yes Fox is still crappy analog but it is watchable unlike snow) and their HD line up is tons better than Suddenlink. Yes D* carries more HD channels at the moment but those channels are broadcasting limit, if any, HD content. I think you owe it to yourselves to check out E*.
post #382 of 1226 Old 03-03-2008, 01:22 PM

Sprint67 what is E* ?
post #383 of 1226 Old 03-03-2008, 05:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raydeen View Post

Sprint67 what is E* ?

That would be EchoStar (Dish Network) which for some reason is censored on this forum.

Speaking of which, everyone I know with Dish has some kind of issue...my sis and bro-in-law have problems acquiring a signal sometimes and it does this annoying guide download frequently. Another person I know had billing issues that were unresolved and recently switched to Suddenlink. All available services have their drawbacks however...I wonder if Verizon FiOS will ever come to town.

post #384 of 1226 Old 03-03-2008, 09:14 PM

Hey guys, quick question: When our local FOX affliliate goes digital, where will it be broadcast from? Abilene and/or San Angeo? Will I be able to pick it up OTA like the other networks?
post #385 of 1226 Old 03-03-2008, 09:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abileneguy2005 View Post
Hey guys, quick question: When our local FOX affliliate goes digital, where will it be broadcast from? Abilene and/or San Angeo? Will I be able to pick it up OTA like the other networks?
They will broadcast in Abilene and you'll be able to pick them up OTA. The San Angelo FOX affiliate, KIDY, is already in HD on their digital companion channel.

Here is the KXVA transition report plan filed with the FCC.

KXVA transition plan.pdf 13.833984375k . file

Knowledge is Power. Trust but Verify.
post #386 of 1226 Old 03-04-2008, 01:52 AM

Thanks Joe I've got DISH and every time it rains my signal drops. Also had billing issues, they charged me one month for having local channels when I do not subscribe to them at all. In fact I don't even have the second dish antenna needed to receive them in the first place. Just called them up and they credited me, all in all its not all that bad dealing with them. I would be shocked if Verizon FiOS showed up, I would buy it in a second though !
post #387 of 1226 Old 03-04-2008, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmahon View Post

They will broadcast in Abilene and you'll be able to pick them up OTA. The San Angelo FOX affiliate, KIDY, is already in HD on their digital companion channel.

Here is the KXVA transition report plan filed with the FCC.

I almost wish I hadn't read the pdf you attached...unless I am reading it wrong (I have no idea what a "flash cut" means) it seems that there will be no Fox digital until January 09 and the rumors of it being done by June 08 were simply rumors. *sigh* looks like one more season of low res, blurry NFL football.

edit- during last weekends trade show at the Civic center...I stopped by the Suddenlink booth and talked to a rep (who said he was a senior technician) about KTXS digital. He seemed intelligent and knowledgable except for the fact that he was either given hush orders or was truly ignorant of the fact that KTXS has been broadcasting digital nearly a year now. He said "we are waiting on KTXS" when I asked him about Suddenlink passing the digital signal and when I said "waiting for them to stop asking for money" he said "huh?"....I then said "you are aware they have been broadcasting digital OTA for some time now" and he said "no, I really didn't know that...I'll have to look into it". I can understand a technician (even senior, he looked 40ish) not knowing everything on the business side (KTXS wanting money for digital) but it's truly surprising he didn't even think they had a digital signal available.

post #388 of 1226 Old 03-04-2008, 11:36 AM

Well I can understand not switching to Dish if you have had bad experiences, I was just wondering.

I have a drop in signal ever once in awhile because of rain but you are going to have to live with that if you go with sat service. Other than that I have not had any other service or programming issues at all and certainly no billing issues.

Also AMEN to the Verizon FIOS!!! I would switch so fast it might make me dizzy. My only regret would be the DISH DVR I would leave behind but I have read that Verizon was suppose to release a firmware upgrade to make their current model much better.
post #389 of 1226 Old 03-04-2008, 11:43 AM

I also just read the attached PDF and I think you are correct Joe. It reads to me that they are planning on making the switch on or around Jan 15th 2009. If this is the case then why do they continue to lie about having it ready "sometime this summer"? That is just going to cause more animosity toward their station. I have said all along I understand completely why they are not able to "go digital" but what I don't understand is their constant need to treat us like we are plain stupid and lie to our faces. Just tell us the truth and we will live with it.

Like you said another season of crappy, blurry, fuzzy, SD NFL football and BCS games.
post #390 of 1226 Old 03-04-2008, 04:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprint67 View Post

Also AMEN to the Verizon FIOS!!! I would switch so fast it might make me dizzy. My only regret would be the DISH DVR I would leave behind but I have read that Verizon was suppose to release a firmware upgrade to make their current model much better.

Considering FiOS hasn't even made it to all of the heavy population areas of the US yet...by the time it reaches Abilene (or anywhere in West Texas) they will be on the second or third generation of HD-DVR's.

I'll push and shove to be first in line when they do show up though!

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page