Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 1226 Old 05-11-2008, 05:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by adb View Post

Recently several of us have noticed that the signal from KTXS seems to be lower and less consistant than in the past. My OTA antenna is up high in my attic and has given me a signal reading of 95+ for KRBC as well as a reading of 90-95 for KTAB and a fairly consistant reading of 65+ for KTXS. KTAB and KRBC still give me the same readings, however in the last month my signal reading on KTXS has gone down to an highly variable 40 on the signal meter with lots on microblocking (which you would expect). I checked this out with several other friends that have similar set ups and they have experienced exactly the same problem. These readings seem to vary very little depending upon the weather. We have changed antenna positions slightly but that doesn't seem to help. I checked this out with a couple of satellite installers and they tell me they are having problems getting the KTXS OTA signal, (which many people use to get locals in HD), with some of their installations. For lack of any other explanation, it sounds like a weaker than usual signal problem with the KTXS transmission.

I've got a similar setup in my attic, however KTAB has been the problem for me for the last month or so. It is pretty well useless during prime time which is about the only time I watch. My signal strength meter on my set is a vertil scale with graduations marking every 25%. KTXS typically will run ~50% and an occasional fade may drop it to ~30-35%. It has to drop below that before I start seeing any pixelation of the picture and audio. KRBC has a steady signal at ~85-90%. KTAB, when all is right with the world, has a signal level equal to if not a little better that KRBC. However, when I'm having issues, it drops below ~10%. 3 receivers, same results.

If the rest of you are not seeing this, then I need to look at my antenna system or the possibility of interference in my neighborhood. I haven't found anyone in my neighborhood yet with a similar setup to see if they are having the same issues.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 1226 Old 05-12-2008, 05:24 AM
adb
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I don't know of anyone in the South part of town that is having any problem like you mentioned with KTAB and many of them have the attic setup. It sounds like an antenna problem to me, possibly some dual reflection or some other interference in the evening. I have found in the past (not as much now) that the broadcast signal was very susceptible to antenna alignment and very slight changes could make a great deal of difference. Good luck finding the solution.
post #453 of 1226 Old 05-12-2008, 09:50 AM

I have had a noticeable drop in signal strength on KTXS from around 72-74 to the low 60s. This happened around the same time everyone else has been discussing. It however has not caused me to miss any programming so I really haven't given it too much thought except to think that if it drops any lower I will lose my signal.

KRBC and KTAB are both 100% signal strength for me and I have seen no drop in signal from either of those two since they went high power last year. I still however get audio drops on KTAB when watching a program with 5.1 DD. I have tolerated it but it is fairly annoying when you are watching a program and loose 1-2 seconds of audio.
post #454 of 1226 Old 05-13-2008, 06:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX Champ View Post

I've got a similar setup in my attic, however KTAB has been the problem for me for the last month or so. It is pretty well useless during prime time which is about the only time I watch. My signal strength meter on my set is a vertil scale with graduations marking every 25%. KTXS typically will run ~50% and an occasional fade may drop it to ~30-35%. It has to drop below that before I start seeing any pixelation of the picture and audio. KRBC has a steady signal at ~85-90%. KTAB, when all is right with the world, has a signal level equal to if not a little better that KRBC. However, when I'm having issues, it drops below ~10%. 3 receivers, same results.

If the rest of you are not seeing this, then I need to look at my antenna system or the possibility of interference in my neighborhood. I haven't found anyone in my neighborhood yet with a similar setup to see if they are having the same issues.

KRBC-DT and KTAB-DT broadcast at the same power from the same tower Southeast of Abilene on the Potosi Highway. Your reception signal of both channels should be virtually identical.

I would suspect an antenna/interference problem. Check to make sure you don't have any diagonal or horizontal wire runs in your attic in front of your antenna. This can cause interference at certain harmonic frequencies causing lower signal strength on certain channels. It's also possible that your next door or nearby neighbor may have installed some electrical device/wiring causing interference.

Lastly, it's also possible that KTAB may be doing maintenance requiring them to operate at a lower power. You could give them a call and ask their engineer if this is the case.

Good Luck.

Knowledge is Power. Trust but Verify.
post #455 of 1226 Old 05-14-2008, 04:28 AM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmahon View Post

KRBC-DT and KTAB-DT broadcast at the same power from the same tower Southeast of Abilene on the Potosi Highway. Your reception signal of both channels should be virtually identical.

I would suspect an antenna/interference problem. Check to make sure you don't have any diagonal or horizontal wire runs in your attic in front of your antenna. This can cause interference at certain harmonic frequencies causing lower signal strength on certain channels. It's also possible that your next door or nearby neighbor may have installed some electrical device/wiring causing interference.

Lastly, it's also possible that KTAB may be doing maintenance requiring them to operate at a lower power. You could give them a call and ask their engineer if this is the case.

Good Luck.

Actually, antennaweb does show KTAB and KRBC from different directions. I live on the southeast side of town and KTAB is about 130 degrees (and I can see the tower) and KRBC is about 160 degrees. I just point a directional antenna right between them and it works just fine. If I just point it at KTAB, I loose KRBC. If I just point it at KRBC, I loose KTAB.

What TX Champ is describing sounds like the digital version of ghosting. The tuner is picking up two signals from the antenna. One is a weaker reflection, but it's strong enough the tuner has dificutly knowing which one to use so most of the time the signal would come in strong and then just drop out all together and then come back in a few seconds and then drop out again. I had this problem when I tried to use a non-directional antenna.
post #456 of 1226 Old 05-14-2008, 05:39 AM

To the best of my knowledge both KTAB and KRBC transmitters are on the same antenna since KRBC came back on the air after they lost their original antenna in an ice storm aproximately a 20 months ago. I don't believe antenna web has updated their database since that time and they still are showing the original antenna.

Tx Champ- what model antenna are you using and are you are using an amp? I would lean more toward some sort of interference in your attic as the problem here or possibly having your antenna point in the wrong direction and recieving a good ghost image of KRBC but a poor one of KTAB. Also let us know what part of town you are in and that could help determine the problem.

BTW last night I noticed the KTXS signal was a little stronger than it as been lately.
post #457 of 1226 Old 05-15-2008, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX Champ View Post

I've noticed that KTAB has been spotty lately. Normally, when the wind blows like crazy I lose the signal but I noticed that I was loosing it on calm night this week. I'm in South Abilene.
post #458 of 1226 Old 05-18-2008, 01:51 PM

Quote:

Good Luck.

I got to thinking, assuming I did not have any interference what could cause a poor RSSI. Ever have one of those moments when you wanted to just go bang your head against the wall? I have 35 years in Land Mobile and wireless communications. It dawned on me that the issue could be that the antenna could be out of phase with the received signal.

When we started using the 800 MHz band for mobile communications, including cellular, we started using space diversity on our receive antennas just for this type of reason. Until then, our highest frequencies were in the mid-400 MHz band and although demonstrated the problem, it was not really a performance issue. So, I went into the attic and rotated the antenna about a 1/4 wave (of ch 24) at the tip and seem to have cleared up my issue.

Thanks for everyone's input here.
post #459 of 1226 Old 05-20-2008, 03:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Fired off another e-mail the other day to Jackie Rutledge (VP/GM of KTXS) asking about passing the digital feed to Suddenlink/sat companies but I haven't got a reply and don't expect one.

If KXVA comes online this summer as planned and passes their signal, then KTXS will be the lone local that absolutely requires an over the air antenna to recieve their digital feed and it's driving me crazy.

"The quickest way to get over your fear of plasma is to actually own *one"- joemama127

*or 3 :)
post #460 of 1226 Old 05-21-2008, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

UPDATE- I actually did recieve a reply! Since there is nothing confidential in the e-mail I will post it here..

Joe,

Our corporate office is in the process of negotiating with the local cable company as well as Dish and Direct. We have been digital for several years and HD since 05. We are also in the process of upgrading our Digital transmitter.

Thanks for your e-mail.

Jackie

My reply was along the lines of "it's great that you've been digital since 05 but not so great that those who gave up antennas/rabbit ears more than a decade ago are unaware since they watch whatever they're given by the local cable/sat companies". I don't think my prodding will make any difference...but at least it's confirmed to be a money issue and no BS about technical hurdles.

"The quickest way to get over your fear of plasma is to actually own *one"- joemama127

post #461 of 1226 Old 05-21-2008, 11:16 AM

I think its great they are upgrading their transmitter, I enjoy the OTA signal and am looking forward to a stronger ABC/CW signal with fewer drop outs. Also hope that FOX HD comes online soon.
post #462 of 1226 Old 05-24-2008, 08:49 AM

I've been toying around with making my own antenna this week. As of yesterday, I'm no longer able to get a digital signal from KTXS with my DIY antenna or the cheap store-bought one I have. Is anyone else seeing this behavior? I'm on the north-east side of town in the Heritage Parks neighborhood. Thanks

--
Cameron
post #463 of 1226 Old 05-24-2008, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moorereason View Post

I've been toying around with making my own antenna this week. As of yesterday, I'm no longer able to get a digital signal from KTXS with my DIY antenna or the cheap store-bought one I have. Is anyone else seeing this behavior? I'm on the north-east side of town in the Heritage Parks neighborhood. Thanks

It seems to be getting more and more problematic lately. I posted previously that I'd seen the signal drop from the normal 68 down to 60 lately but without consequence to me. However, since then I have seen that happen more and more frequently and now it does get a bit blocky when it's at 60. Seems to happen more when it's really windy but it used to not do it at all when it was windy so I don't know if that has anything to do with it or not. In any case, waiting for that stronger signal before I try to do anything... there's also a chance we may get it from Dish (which I have) too as they still have it up on the satellite but not made available to subs yet.
post #464 of 1226 Old 05-24-2008, 12:03 PM

I just check and the OTA digital channels, 12.1 (ABC), 12.2 (CW), 12.3 (weather radar) all are back broadcasting again. For me its a weak signal so much so that I can watch programming using the internal ATSC tuners in my TVs but not on my external Hisense HD box. This means no recording the INDY 500 on Sunday, because the Hisense tuner really needs a strong signal in order to work well. At least so far looks like the 500 will be in HD which is great.
post #465 of 1226 Old 05-24-2008, 01:25 PM

I'm over at my in-laws today near Caps, and they are picking up the OTA digital KTXS signals. I'll check mine when I get home this evening. Thanks for the feedback.

Also, thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread. It took a couple days to read through it all (!!), but it's been very informative. Thanks!!

--
Cameron
post #466 of 1226 Old 05-29-2008, 09:04 AM
Advanced Member

It looks like more delays on KTXS going to full power. Their new transmitter, antenna, and transmission line have come in but they are having to re-stress their tower to handle the added load before installation. They are in the process of doing this now.

Best estimates look like sometime in August for the cutover.

Knowledge is Power. Trust but Verify.
post #467 of 1226 Old 06-10-2008, 02:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It looks like more delays on KTXS going to full power. Their new transmitter, antenna, and transmission line have come in but they are having to re-stress their tower to handle the added load before installation. They are in the process of doing this now.

Best estimates look like sometime in August for the cutover.

This is really getting on my nerves...the tuner in my Samsung DTB-H260F (considered one of the best tuners) and also my Philips dvd recorder/dvr are unable to tune in 12.1 (KTXS) at ALL. The internal tuner in my Panasonic plasma can get it if I have the antenna positioned just right...but with a single coax input I don't want to reduce myself to just the OTA locals and a splitter degrades the signal enough to confuse the internal QAM tuner. If KTXS would simply feed their digital to Suddenlink (and KXVA comes through in August) I could get rid of my external tuner and antenna.

post #468 of 1226 Old 06-11-2008, 07:40 AM

actually, during yesterday's Game 3 of playoffs, with my rabbit ears, i was able to get a 4 to 5 bar HD signal from ktxs. its the strongest its ever been for me, usually, its been 1 to 2. i am around the S 1st & mockingbird. this time, those stupid trains didn't even cause my signal to fade.
post #469 of 1226 Old 06-11-2008, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamoji View Post

actually, during yesterday's Game 3 of playoffs, with my rabbit ears, i was able to get a 4 to 5 bar HD signal from ktxs. its the strongest its ever been for me, usually, its been 1 to 2. i am around the S 1st & mockingbird. this time, those stupid trains didn't even cause my signal to fade.

I noticed this morning that I was getting a 74-76 signal from them this morning. That's as strong as I've seen in many many months. Usually it's around 68 with it dropping to 60 lately. It's when it's at 60 when I occasionally see problems.
post #470 of 1226 Old 06-11-2008, 07:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamoji View Post

Well, my attempt to bring in KTXS digital was a couple days before I posted so maybe something has changed....I'll do another scan tonight and see what happens.

post #471 of 1226 Old 06-11-2008, 06:54 PM
adb
AVS Special Member

I just checked KTXS and I am getting 85 to 90 on my signal meter. Instant good picture. Hope they have the bugs worked out.
post #472 of 1226 Old 06-12-2008, 07:29 AM

Wow, so all ya'll are seeing the same increase in performance in the signal for ktxs. maybe they have fixed their signal already, now the wait for FOX...
post #473 of 1226 Old 06-12-2008, 07:43 AM

Yeah, I checked the signal strength for KTXS just out of curiosity this morning and had 86. That's by far the highest I've seen... WOW!

About KXVA, they did say by the end of the second quarter of '08 for digital/HD so that would be the end of June. I'm betting it doesn't get done. It seems we would have heard something possitive by now if that were going to happen. I have no problem continuing my boycot!
post #474 of 1226 Old 06-12-2008, 08:35 AM

Another report on KTXS here...I checked last night and I am getting 85-87 signal strength from them which is by far the best I have ever seen. Obviously they have their higher powered transmitter up and running now. Before the highest I had ever seen from them was 75 on rare occasions.

On the other subject of KXVA...perhaps it is time for a few gentle probes into the progress of their digital channel. Doesn't hurt to let them know that we remember timetables that are given and we want to continue to hear about the progress be it good or bad, just tell us the truth.
post #475 of 1226 Old 06-12-2008, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprint67 View Post

we want to continue to hear about the progress be it good or bad, just tell us the truth.

I 'prod' them on a regular basis... never get a responce.
post #476 of 1226 Old 06-14-2008, 05:57 AM

I am close to cooper high and I get 12.1 in the upper 60's, nice. I was getting tired of having to watch KTXS old school analog. As far as kxva I don't expect digital untill February and HD a year later, the way they work. The only time they responded was when their website blog was flooded with complaints about digital, or lack there of. I am sure they wish they had that much activity on the website now, because it is pretty much dead.
post #477 of 1226 Old 06-14-2008, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Did a rescan the other day and I am now getting 6 out of 8 bars (meter on my tuner) for KTXS so it seems they are back in action....I am just east of Buffalo Gap Rd, right at the cutoff between the Cooper and Wylie school districts.

However...I'm still waiting for KTXS to pass their digital to Suddenlink (or Dish/Direct for that matter) and KXVA to come online so I can put the rabbit ears back in the closet and just use the internal tuner in my tv.

post #478 of 1226 Old 06-14-2008, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigepilot View Post

Yeah, I checked the signal strength for KTXS just out of curiosity this morning and had 86. That's by far the highest I've seen... WOW!

About KXVA, they did say by the end of the second quarter of '08 for digital/HD so that would be the end of June. I'm betting it doesn't get done. It seems we would have heard something possitive by now if that were going to happen. I have no problem continuing my boycot!

What I remember is that early August was the timetable given for KXVA. Thats fine for me since there is absolutely nothing on Fox other than NFL football that I care about..

post #479 of 1226 Old 06-14-2008, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemama127 View Post

What I remember is that early August was the timetable given for KXVA. Thats fine for me since there is absolutely nothing on Fox other than NFL football that I care about..

The only thing I've seen as a 'public' statement was on a blog on their website where they said they would go Digital and HD by the end of the second quarter of '08. I believe this was around Jan. or Feb. when it was posted but can't remember for sure and I'm too lazy to go look for it right now. I've also seen where someone has posted a copy of their FCC request for the digital switchover and it looked as if they were going to wait until the last legal day. I haven't seen anything that said August but that would be fine with me. There's nothing I have to see on fox until then either.
post #480 of 1226 Old 06-16-2008, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigepilot View Post

The only thing I've seen as a 'public' statement was on a blog on their website where they said they would go Digital and HD by the end of the second quarter of '08. I believe this was around Jan. or Feb. when it was posted but can't remember for sure and I'm too lazy to go look for it right now. I've also seen where someone has posted a copy of their FCC request for the digital switchover and it looked as if they were going to wait until the last legal day. I haven't seen anything that said August but that would be fine with me. There's nothing I have to see on fox until then either.

I was trying to remember where I got "August" from and apparently it was all in my own head....but due to an earlier post by mlmahon stating that he had inside info about KXVA having their digital feed ready by the "start of the NFL season"...which to me means August since pre-season games start then.

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page