Abilene, TX - HDTV - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 1227 Old 09-30-2008, 09:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
any update on the Digital stuff? they were supposed to have their HD channel up by this time, correct??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 1227 Old 09-30-2008, 09:45 AM

Supposedly they are waiting on equipment to make the change and since they have waited so long to order said equipment and have it installed there is a tremendous backlog.

I wouldn't even hold my breath that they will have it done by the deadline.

I think this delay is why Dish Network has not made our current HD locals available yet. They were probably told the same thing by our local Fox affiliate that it would be late summer to early fall when they make the change. Now I suspect Dish won't turn the other locals on until all are available otherwise there should be no holdup with getting the currently available ones turned on.
post #543 of 1227 Old 09-30-2008, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprint67 View Post

Supposedly they are waiting on equipment to make the change and since they have waited so long to order said equipment and have it installed there is a tremendous backlog.

I wouldn't even hold my breath that they will have it done by the deadline.

I think this delay is why Dish Network has not made our current HD locals available yet. They were probably told the same thing by our local Fox affiliate that it would be late summer to early fall when they make the change. Now I suspect Dish won't turn the other locals on until all are available otherwise there should be no holdup with getting the currently available ones turned on.

You forget there is a different problem with KTXS (ABC) wanting to charge Dish/Direct/Suddenlink to pass their digital signal. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense considering they will have to give up their analog feed soon...are they going to hold out for antenna broadcast only?

"The quickest way to get over your fear of plasma is to actually own *one"- joemama127

*or 3 :)
post #544 of 1227 Old 09-30-2008, 02:31 PM

I have not forgotten but if I am not mistaken Dish actually paid KTAB, KRBC, and KTXS to carry their channels. Not sure about KXVA. That was the whole reason we quickly got the locals up on satellite when KRBC was trying to get money out of Cox a few years ago.

So I think that Dish would be willing to pay for the locals or actually they are already paying for them cause remember they charge the end user $5.99 to cover that cost so as soon as everything is available it will be "turned on" for Dish customers. Then again maybe not, but what I am trying to say is Dish has no problem usually paying for a local station within reason.

I think this could be the whole reason KTXS is holding out cause they know Dish is already paying for their channel so why not Suddenlink...if I am not mistaken Suddenlink is already paying for KTAB and KRBC also, just not extra for the digital (at least that we know of).

Could be wrong but would make sense why KTXS is holding out, cause they know there is more money to be made from Suddenlink.
post #545 of 1227 Old 09-30-2008, 09:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have not forgotten but if I am not mistaken Dish actually paid KTAB, KRBC, and KTXS to carry their channels. Not sure about KXVA. That was the whole reason we quickly got the locals up on satellite when KRBC was trying to get money out of Cox a few years ago.

So I think that Dish would be willing to pay for the locals or actually they are already paying for them cause remember they charge the end user $5.99 to cover that cost so as soon as everything is available it will be "turned on" for Dish customers. Then again maybe not, but what I am trying to say is Dish has no problem usually paying for a local station within reason.

I think this could be the whole reason KTXS is holding out cause they know Dish is already paying for their channel so why not Suddenlink...if I am not mistaken Suddenlink is already paying for KTAB and KRBC also, just not extra for the digital (at least that we know of).

Could be wrong but would make sense why KTXS is holding out, cause they know there is more money to be made from Suddenlink.

Well, if Dish is paying for KTXS they aren't getting their moneys worth..or at least not passing it on to customers. Something could have changed recently, but as little as a month ago my sister had Dish HD and they only got the digital feeds from KRBC/KTAB same as Suddenlink, and KTXS was still analog even though digital has been available OTA for quite some time now. Actually I wouldn't really care if Suddenlink dropped all the locals...I could simply use my standalone digital tuner/antenna combo to get them. What really irks me is that I can get KRBC/KTAB by cable but if I want KTXS HD I have to use an antenna. As for KXVA...who knows..

"The quickest way to get over your fear of plasma is to actually own *one"- joemama127

post #546 of 1227 Old 10-15-2008, 06:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Question for mamoji, (or anyone else with Suddenlink basic using a QAM tuner) did KRBC on 114.1 go away or is the QAM tuner on my tv going bad? I did two rescans and I still get nothing...just a black screen for 114.1. Everything else including KTAB on 114.2 are still coming in fine...

edit- I see that 115.4 is KRBC but it is analog....same as channel 5.

post #547 of 1227 Old 10-16-2008, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Seems that KRBC digital on cable (114.1) is back on now....I still don't understand why they have 2 analog (channel 5 and 115.4) broadcasts though. Now that the cowboys have imploded, it makes KXVA dragging their heels much easier to take...I don't watch anything else on Fox and probably won't until it no longer looks like a blurry mess.

post #548 of 1227 Old 10-22-2008, 05:38 PM

looks like the local HDs on suddenlink are gone again....
post #549 of 1227 Old 10-23-2008, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamoji View Post

I haven't watched tv in the past couple days...are both KTAB and KRBC gone now? It was just KRBC temporarily before..

post #550 of 1227 Old 10-23-2008, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemama127 View Post

I haven't watched tv in the past couple days...are both KTAB and KRBC gone now? It was just KRBC temporarily before..

looks like its off the 114 channel...found the HD locals on 102.1 & 102.2
post #551 of 1227 Old 10-24-2008, 04:10 PM

Quote:

Mamoji -- if you'll email me and remind me which city and state you live in, I can check this for you, though it might have been resolved by now. I'm at pete-DOT-abel-AT-suddenlink-DOT-COM. Thanks.
post #552 of 1227 Old 10-25-2008, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pabel View Post

Mamoji -- if you'll email me and remind me which city and state you live in, I can check this for you, though it might have been resolved by now. I'm at pete-DOT-abel-AT-suddenlink-DOT-COM. Thanks.

Like he said above, they were just moved to 102.1 and 102.2. This is about the third time the locals have moved around since I've lived in Abilene (3 years) and my question is why? Are they trying to throw off the people who stumbled upon "free HD locals" when they did the initial channel scan with their new tv's in an effort to encourage them to pay extra for a digital/HD box? Most people will just think that they're gone for good and watch the analog version..

edit- also, why is there an additional KRBC analog (along with PBS and others) using digital/QAm numbers? I suspect they are just placeholders for something else in the future?

post #553 of 1227 Old 10-29-2008, 10:51 PM

Anyone having a lip syncing issue the past couple of days on NBC? I get my KRBC digital signal over the air and record it with my DirecTv dvr and the sound does not match the picture. All the other networks are fine...but NBC...
post #554 of 1227 Old 10-30-2008, 05:57 AM
adb
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by abileneguy2005 View Post

Anyone having a lip syncing issue the past couple of days on NBC? I get my KRBC digital signal over the air and record it with my DirecTv dvr and the sound does not match the picture. All the other networks are fine...but NBC...

Yes, I have had the same problem with both KRBC and KTAB, although not last night. I changed to national CBS and NBC and the sound was completely in sync. Most likely the problem is with the local stations. This has happened several times in the past.
post #555 of 1227 Old 10-30-2008, 08:58 AM

I had a lip sync problem with KTXS last week while my wife was watching Dancing with the Stars but have not noticed anything on KRBC although I don't watch many shows other than Heroes and Chuck on that station.

On KTAB during Criminal Minds, last week I believe, they had some issues with the 5.1 sound and the center channel not coming through. You could hear all the sound effects and everything just no dialog. They switched it back and forth from 2 channel to 5.1 several times and finally got it fixed but it took awhile.

I am about ready to start bugging those yeahoos over at KXVA again about when we are going to see HD. Just to let them know that we haven't forgotten that they are dragging their feet...Who's with me?!
post #556 of 1227 Old 10-30-2008, 09:49 AM
adb
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I
I am about ready to start bugging those yeahoos over at KXVA again about when we are going to see HD. Just to let them know that we haven't forgotten that they are dragging their feet...Who's with me?!

Good idea
post #557 of 1227 Old 11-01-2008, 12:24 AM

PREACH ON !!!!!!!!!!!

My OTA analog KXVA signal used to be halfway decent but as of late its gone downhill and now looks terrible. Well it was not all that good to begin with so its going from bad to worse.
post #558 of 1227 Old 11-02-2008, 12:54 PM

It is really suprising to me how many people don't know you can watch KTXS in HD OTA. I went over someone's house last night to watch the TECH-TX game who has a nice HDTV and is set up with DISH HD but had no idea you could get ABC in HD. I ran home, got my $20 bunny ears and within minutes we were watching the game in HD.

Why doesn't the network let people know about this? Or if they do...what is going on in this town that no one knows about this?
post #559 of 1227 Old 11-02-2008, 02:20 PM

Anyone else notice that the KTXS (12.3) local Radar channel is gone? That will be missed during a storm. Hope this is just temporary.
post #560 of 1227 Old 11-03-2008, 12:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It is really suprising to me how many people don't know you can watch KTXS in HD OTA. I went over someone's house last night to watch the TECH-TX game who has a nice HDTV and is set up with DISH HD but had no idea you could get ABC in HD. I ran home, got my $20 bunny ears and within minutes we were watching the game in HD.

Why doesn't the network let people know about this? Or if they do...what is going on in this town that no one knows about this?

It's not in their interest to advertise the fact that anyone with rabbit ears and a tv with an ATSC tuner can get their station digital/HD for free. They are trying to fleece Suddenlink/Dish/Direct to pay for carrying their digital feed. What they (and KXVA) don't seem to understand is that they're already losing viewership because people gravitate towards watching shows on the stations that "look better" which is KTAB/KRBC. Advertising dollars go where the most viewers are..

post #561 of 1227 Old 11-04-2008, 12:25 PM

anyone done a scan recently on suddenlink? anything new/different/interesting show up?
post #562 of 1227 Old 11-07-2008, 06:54 AM

Quote:

This is Abilene where we are not the most up to date on technology. Hopefully Best Buy will do like they did a few years ago back when the Superbowl was on KTXS and hook up rabbit ears to one of their HD tv's to show people. They can do that again since KRBC will have the Superbowl this time.
post #563 of 1227 Old 11-07-2008, 02:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I pointed this out a couple of years ago to one of the KTXS marketing people and I am not sure he even understood that KTXS was broadcasting in HD. He said they were waiting to get all the equipment running properly and at full power before pushing it. I think they have forgotten. KRBC and KTAB advertise their HD all the time. KTXS never does.
post #564 of 1227 Old 11-08-2008, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdharris View Post

I pointed this out a couple of years ago to one of the KTXS marketing people and I am not sure he even understood that KTXS was broadcasting in HD. He said they were waiting to get all the equipment running properly and at full power before pushing it. I think they have forgotten. KRBC and KTAB advertise their HD all the time. KTXS never does.

See my post above for the reason why KTXS doesn't push HD in Abilene. If they constantly advertised HD then everyone who has cable/sat with an HD box would wonder why it looks like crap compared to the HD on KRBC/KTAB. They would start bugging their providers and then find out that they're not getting HD passed through at all and demand to know why....and if many of those people started using an antenna to get KTXS HD, then KTXS would have a harder time getting money out of Suddenlink/Dish/Direct for passing the digital feed. I wonder what will happen in February when everyone has to broadcast digital.....can KTXS force cable/sat companies to downconvert their signal to standard def or will they simply refuse to pass along anything? Advertising money means they can't afford to be essentially "off the air" for many viewers for an extended period, so their window of opportunity is closing rapidly..

post #565 of 1227 Old 11-08-2008, 11:28 AM

FOR SUDDENLINK PPL:
just did a scan, and looks like ALLcable channels are now on a digital channel, e.g. CNN is 54 regular cable now is also on 90.5 (or something like that)...
post #566 of 1227 Old 11-08-2008, 05:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

FOR SUDDENLINK PPL:
just did a scan, and looks like ALLcable channels are now on a digital channel, e.g. CNN is 54 regular cable now is also on 90.5 (or something like that)...

In other words...if I do a "digital only" scan it will give me everything I have with expanded basic on an alternate digital channel? I'm sure if anything is missing it will be KTXS.

post #567 of 1227 Old 11-08-2008, 06:36 PM
AVS Special Member

I just did a "digital only" scan before the Tech/OSU game and found that most everything is there...couldn't find Sci/fi and a couple other channels with a digital twin however. What puzzles me is they have some of the locals on 3 different channels now. For example:

KRBC/NBC- 5, 88.3 both analog and then 102.1 for digital/HD
KXVA/Fox- 6, 88.4 both analog of course
KTAB/CBS- 10, 88.7 both analog and then 102.2 digital/HD

KTXS of course is still only channel 4 and still analog for everyone but antenna users.

post #568 of 1227 Old 11-14-2008, 10:39 AM

Why can't KTAB regularly show Price is Right (10 am) in HD. It might be one day a week in HD. If you are wondering I work overnight.
post #569 of 1227 Old 11-15-2008, 12:26 PM

Anybody here got League Pass? I've got DirecTV, and would like to be able to see the Spurs games - they show on the Fox networks that they will be on, but show the pre-game only, then the game is blacked out. Tossing around shelling out the bucks for league pass, but am concerned as to whether they will be blacked out on there also...anybody?
Thanks!
post #570 of 1227 Old 11-15-2008, 02:25 PM
adb
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-bone2006 View Post

Why can't KTAB regularly show Price is Right (10 am) in HD. It might be one day a week in HD. If you are wondering I work overnight.

My understanding is that it is a privately syndicated show purchased by some stations and not by others.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page