Any word lately on KTAB & KRBC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 1227 Old 01-15-2007, 03:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I emailed KTAB last week sometime and they told me that they were shooting for Super Bowl weekend to be up and running. Of course with all the weather that is rolling in it might prevent that now. Hopefully they are mostly complete and only have testing to do.

Oh a related note I have completely lost my signal from KRBC as of yesterday. I thought it was due to the ice and such and maybe it is but I still have 0% signal where I was getting at least 75% just 2 days ago. Anyone else having this problem?
post #33 of 1227 Old 01-15-2007, 03:18 PM

Nevermind I guess this is why KRBC digital is no longer available. http://www.ktabtv.com/Story%20Pages%...007_01_15f.htm

Here's hoping that this really gets them on the ball to get their new antenna up and running.
post #34 of 1227 Old 01-16-2007, 12:40 AM

Ok...here's the REAL (and exciting) KTAB/KRBC update:

Bottom line, within 2-3 months, ALL high-definition CBS and NBC network programming will be broadcast in 1080i with 5.1 Dolby Digital audio throughout the entire Abilene-Sweetwater DMA. Of course, not all network programming is HD (news programs, some sports, etc.). It is unknown if locally-originated syndicated programming (Wheel of Fortune, ET, etc.) will be broadcast in HD for now. Local newscasts will remain SD, like most of the country.

And yes, plans are to broadcast the Super Bowl in HD using the current LP DTV transmitter....

Both stations' FULL-POWER Acrodyne DTV transmitters will be housed in a new building at the current KTAB tower sight on Hwy 36 (now under construction, with a planned on-air date of March). The antennas will be side-mounted near the top of the current tower (no new towers will be built). When the current KTAB analog antenna is removed after the NTSC signal goes dark in 2 years...the DTV antennas will be moved to the top position.

And since KRBC's historic 500+ foot tower collapsed on Sunday (due to ice buildup), don't expect any of its DTV transmissions until the new site is operational (the primary NTSC transmitter is now connected to an existing "backup" antenna mounted on the roof of the transmitter building, and will probably stay that way until the transmitter goes dark in Feb. '09...the collapsed tower will probably not be replaced).

Yes, Abilene is on the verge of full-power, HDTV transmission across the entire market (at least for KTAB/KRBC), but remember this is a small market (#164 out of about 212; DFW is #7). However we are ahead of the curve of other 100+ markets across Texas, so no whining about the previous lack of HDTV.

FYI, the Fox station KXVA is based in San Angelo, market #196, and is for all intents and purposes a "repeater" of KIDY. The signal is sent from master control in S.A. via apparently crappy microwave relays to the apparently crappy Abilene transmitter (one of the 3 "flashing" towers along Hwy 36...the other two are KTAB/KRBC and Clear Channel radio). Their Abilene office houses sales and commercial production personnel only...and since we all know how much their signal sucks and how "cheap" they look, I wouldn't expect any kind of HD signal from them in the foreseeable future...and judging from the number of commercials they air...which is about 1 or 2 per break, with the rest being promos...I don't know how they make enough money to stay on air.....
post #35 of 1227 Old 01-21-2007, 10:01 AM

Thank you for the very informative post. If the old KRBC tower that fell is not going back up, I wonder where they are going to put the NOAA transmitter? I never did expect KXVA or KIDZ to go HD anytime in the next 10 years. I have been wondering if they are going to make the 2009 switch to digital. You are so right about that station. The only local advertiser that has gotten their money worth is Gibbsen Motors. That commercial is ran every break.
post #36 of 1227 Old 01-23-2007, 09:53 AM

Yes thank you for that very informative post 93geo. Sounds like great news for us Abilenians come March.

So will KTAB continue to broadcast HD via their LP DTV transmitter after the Super Bowl until they get their HP transmitter up and running?

Am I also understanding this correctly that KTXS is still only braodcasting on a LP transmitter? If so then does that have anything to do with why I can only get DD 2.0 instead of 5.1? Are they just not broadcasting it to save bandwidth? Do they have any plans (that anyone knows of) to move to a HP DTV transmitter in the near future?
post #37 of 1227 Old 01-23-2007, 08:12 PM

T-bone2006: The NOAA transmitter is housed in KR's transmitter building, which luckily was unharmed (if the tower had collapsed onto the building, we'd be talking a whole different story...a nightmare scenario). We talked to the NWS in San Angelo last week (which is the hub for this region and where the broadcast originates) and they were going to install another antenna on the roof of the building by the middle of this week. I just checked it on my scanner, and they're back on the air! The roof-mounted antennas for both NOAA and KRBC's analog transmissions provide "adequate" coverage across most of the viewing area, since Cedar Gap Mountain is about 350 feet above Abilene; but that extra 500 feet sure did make a difference! (NOAA's antenna was located only partway up the tower, so they're not losing as much height.) And KIDZ/KXVA will have to install at least LP DTV transmitters with a 480i SD signal by '09 or else they will cease to exist...and yes, I agree with you on the Gibson Motors spot!

sprint67: I'm not sure if KTAB will continue HD programming on the LP transmitter; all the new digital master control and STL (Studio-Transmitter Link) microwave infrastructure will already be in place, so it is plausible, but not likely. The Super Bowl is of course a special circumstance. But realistically, all efforts will be placed on getting the new transmitters online. At the most, the wait should be less than two months.

As for KTXS, they are still using a LP transmitter at their tower south of Trent, but from what I understand they are at least somewhere along the months-long process of going full-power.

Also, KTXS is not broadcasting in HD; hence no 5.1 audio. True HDTV requires pretty much the full bandwidth of a station's digital channel. Since KTXS is multicasting The CW Network as well as ABC primetime programming, at the most you're seeing a down-converted 480p 16:9 image from ABC's original 720p HD signal. Still pretty good picture quality, but not HD. A full-power transmitter won't change that, unless KTXS decides to get rid of The CW and use all their bandwidth for ABC.

KTAB/KRBC has no plans to multicast their digital channels....so the full HD 1080i signal with DD 5.1 from both networks will be broadcast ota. And since both channels will broadcast from one tower, you'll only need one directional antenna. At full power though, even rabbit ears could suffice at least in the immediate Abilene vicinity.

And I'm sure most of you know this by now, but the ABC and FOX networks have chosen the 720p HD format, while NBC and CBS have chosen 1080i.

And if you haven't already guessed, I do work for KTAB/KRBC, but not in the engineering dept., though I do talk to those guys just about every day. And any information I'm stating is not confidential, just factual, and very exciting!
post #38 of 1227 Old 01-24-2007, 06:31 AM

93geo thanks again for more great info. It is really nice to have an inside source that is both excited and knowledgable to keep us up to date on the happenings of our local stations.

Keep us up to date.
post #39 of 1227 Old 01-30-2007, 06:56 AM

KTAB To Broadcast Super Bowl 40 In HD
The official Big Country television station of Super Bowl XLI announced today that the game on Sunday, February 4th will be broadcast in High Definition.

Station Manager Gayle Kiger made the announcement at a mid afternoon news conference at the KTAB TV studio.

The good news is that after months of work and planning, KTAB DTV on digital channel 24 will carry this year's Super Bowl game from the CBS network in High Definition 1080i picture resolution with 5.1 digital CD quality surround sound audio, according to Kiger.

This will allow viewers with HDTV sets and an off-air antenna the ability to watch the game in High Definition.

Kiger went on to say the HD programming from CBS will also be available 24 hours a day 7 days a week on the current KTAB low power digital signal on DTV channel 24 which covers the city of Abilene and within roughly a 30 mile radius of the KTAB broadcast tower which is located near Potosi.

This will include all CBS primetime programming that is available in HD.

Engineers are involved in a multimillion dollar digital project that will install new full power digital transmitters to cover the entire viewing area with a digital signal from both KTAB and KRBC TV.

That project will be completed in the next few months.

Over the next month KTAB TV will be undertaking a project to let viewers know about the new HD signal and provide answers to viewer's questions about HD.
post #40 of 1227 Old 01-30-2007, 07:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pope0528 View Post

KTAB To Broadcast Super Bowl 40 In HD
The official Big Country television station of Super Bowl XLI announced today that the game on Sunday, February 4th will be broadcast in High Definition.

This is great news. I listened to the announcement last night on KTAB news and went to their website, but they never say when they will start broadcasting in HD. Surely they will not just wait until game time. If so, 75% of the people trying to watch will not have it figured out and set up before half-time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pope0528 View Post

[b]Over the next month KTAB TV will be undertaking a project to let viewers know about the new HD signal and provide answers to viewer's questions about HD.

I hope they do a good job of educating the public. I have been very disappointed in the way KTXS just turned on the HD signal and then forgot about it. I suspect there are hundreds of people in this area who have bought HD sets who are not even aware that KTXS has a HD signal and that they can pick it up with an antenna.

The announcement is not clear about this, but sounds like KTAB (and soon KRBC) will be available full time on cable. Does this mean that Nexstar has finally buried the hatchet with the cable company? Is cable going to pay something for the HD signal? If KTAB and KRBC are on the cable in HD, will this force KTXS to let cable have their HD signal? Once people start watching programs in HD, they will watch almost any HD over a SD broadcast. Will this cause the FOX channel to go HD? We may be in for some interesting events.
post #41 of 1227 Old 01-31-2007, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdharris View Post

The announcement is not clear about this, but sounds like KTAB (and soon KRBC) will be available full time on cable. Does this mean that Nexstar has finally buried the hatchet with the cable company? Is cable going to pay something for the HD signal? If KTAB and KRBC are on the cable in HD, will this force KTXS to let cable have their HD signal? Once people start watching programs in HD, they will watch almost any HD over a SD broadcast. Will this cause the FOX channel to go HD? We may be in for some interesting events.

I found this on the HDTV FAQ area here: http://www.ktabtv.com/digitaltv.htm

Will SuddenLink cable or my local cable TV provider offer KTAB HDTV?

Digital cable is not digital TV. SuddenLink along with most cable providers pickup up our current analog signal and re-transmit the signal through their system to your home. SuddenLink does offer a tier of HD channels on their system and KTAB and KRBC TV will be among their offerings. The offerings of other area cable providers are not known at this time so subscribers will need to contact their provider for more information.

Sounds like they will be available to Suddenlink Cable subs soon. I will stick with DISH myself, many more HD channels not to mention the most important one it does have that SL doesn't, ESPN2.
post #42 of 1227 Old 01-31-2007, 08:38 PM - Thread Starter

I have heard several Dish subscribers says that they think they will be able to get KTAB in HD over their Dish network as they are getting KTAB now through Dish and they have the HD package. I do not think that is correct. Dish does not broadcast HD locals anywhere that I am aware of. DirecTV does broadcast HD locals in many markets, but not Abilene. They don't carry Abilene SD locals so I assume they will not have the HD locals anytime soon. I get KTAB's digital signal now through my outdoor antenna and I assume I will be able to get the HD signal that way. However, I am not giving up my DirecTV waivers and DNS HD yet.
post #43 of 1227 Old 01-31-2007, 09:06 PM

Dish does broadcast HD in select large markets (mostly the top 50 DMA). I know for sure that they broadcast in DFW.

It will be a long long time until they start broadcasting our locals here on Dish but I actually hope they don't for several reasons.

1) I can pull in and record on the Dish VIP622 all of our local digital channels in HD.
2) If Dish does start uplinking our locals that takes away bandwidth that could be used for other channels that they currently don't carry. So I would rather have INHD instead of our locals.
3) To upload our locals they would have to severly compress the signal and we would not get the full beauty of OTA HD.

It has been rumored for some time that DirecTv will have our locals soon but I really am starting to doubt that will ever happen. I wish it would cause at least everyone would have another choice with locals. However that is becoming less and less of a real need because of the OTA digitals.
post #44 of 1227 Old 02-02-2007, 01:56 AM

As an "insider," I apologize for not posting more often.

As of 7pm, Feb. 1, KTAB went on-air with CBS HD programming using our current low-power transmitter. So yes, the Super Bowl will be in HD! And plans are to continue network HD programming on LP until the full-power transmitters are up and running, still scheduled for sometime in March. KRBC will commence NBC HD programming at that time, also.

As for the cable situation, the Nexstar vs. Cox hatchet was buried over a year ago when Suddenlink took over Cox's West Texas markets. As part of our agreement with Suddenlink, they will carry both KTAB's and KRBC's digital broadcasts as separate channels, in full HD. Suddenlink is scheduled to begin carrying KTAB-DT as of 4am, Feb. 2.

I'm not sure what Dish Network's plans are; I doubt they have the satellite bandwidth to spare, but they might offer a dish-mounted off-air antenna to receive local DTV that's compatible with their HD receiver.

And as for KTXS, they are NOT broadcasting primetime ABC programming in HD at all. Remember, HDTV requires a station's FULL DTV bandwidth; KTXS is multicasting ABC on channel 20.1 and the CW Network on 20.2. So, instead of one HD channel, they are squeezing two SD channels into the same amount of bandwidth.

That's why KTXS isn't promoting their "HD" signal...because they don't have one!

KTAB/KRBC has no plans to multicast at all, so both stations' full FCC-licensed digital bandwidth is devoted to HD programming. And since network affiliate contracts are long-term, I wouldn't expect KTXS to offer ABC HD until either they spend a bunch of money to buyout the CW contract, or, more likely, the CW Network ceases to exist.

KTAB/KRBC, however, is the real deal, and we are committed to educating the public about DTV and HDTV. We want to position ourselves as the DTV experts in the Abilene/Sweetwater DMA.

And I'll try to be on more often...and like all of you, I can hardly contain my enthusiasm!
post #45 of 1227 Old 02-02-2007, 06:20 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the inside scoop. This is great information. However, I think KTAB should clear up a misconception about DISH carrying the HD signal. KTAB says only that they are not sure what DISH's plans are, but I think everyone should know that DISH will not be carrying the KTAB HD signal, at least not anytime soon; certainly not in time for the Super Bowl. Dish has HD locals in only a very few large markets. KTAB keeps running a commercial for DISH with David Bacon's voice where he says "Dish is the only way you can get HD in Abilene..." and this is confusing a lot of people. I know of several people who have the DISH HD package with local channels who think they are going to get KTAB in HD because they think that is what David Bacon said. I think KTAB should make it clear that they will need an antenna, rabbit ears or something, to get the HD signal. If they have a DISH HD box (or DirecTV HD box) they can run the antenna to it and use it as their tuner if their TV doesn't have a digital HD tuner built in. Not understanding this, I think a lot of DISH subscribers are going to be disappointed Sunday Afternoon.
post #46 of 1227 Old 02-02-2007, 06:58 AM

I flipped over last night to KTAB and saw that they were broadcasting in HD. CSI looked really nice and the few minutes of Shark that I saw was equally nice. I watched Letterman in HD last night and it was beautiful. I just love Live or In Studio programming in HD, I think it truely makes HD shine.

I can hardly wait to watch SB 41 on Sunday, it is going to be amazing.
post #47 of 1227 Old 02-02-2007, 10:52 AM

sure hope soon means before the Super Bowl.
post #48 of 1227 Old 02-03-2007, 07:19 PM

It's going to be so nice to have Local HD here in Abilene. I'm thrilled that SuddenLink will be carrying KTAB and KRBC. Now I'll be able to record The Masters in HD on my DVR. woohoo
post #49 of 1227 Old 02-03-2007, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdharris View Post

Thanks for the inside scoop. This is great information. However, I think KTAB should clear up a misconception about DISH carrying the HD signal. KTAB says only that they are not sure what DISH's plans are, but I think everyone should know that DISH will not be carrying the KTAB HD signal, at least not anytime soon; certainly not in time for the Super Bowl. Dish has HD locals in only a very few large markets. KTAB keeps running a commercial for DISH with David Bacon's voice where he says "Dish is the only way you can get HD in Abilene..." and this is confusing a lot of people. I know of several people who have the DISH HD package with local channels who think they are going to get KTAB in HD because they think that is what David Bacon said. I think KTAB should make it clear that they will need an antenna, rabbit ears or something, to get the HD signal. If they have a DISH HD box (or DirecTV HD box) they can run the antenna to it and use it as their tuner if their TV doesn't have a digital HD tuner built in. Not understanding this, I think a lot of DISH subscribers are going to be disappointed Sunday Afternoon.

I know very well the commercial you're talking about, and it's intentionally misleading (but not false). That's just part of marketing. It's a commercial that a Dish vendor is paying us to air, just like any other advertiser. David Bacon just happens to be the voice talent (and probably the sales executive also). And I find it ironic that this Dish vendor is a direct competitor to the guys in the red "barn" that pay us money to both air their commercials and rent out our front yard...."695-1181...Who are you with? RPM Direct!"

The commercial you're referring to, however, does not mention local HD at all...just "digital," which is a HUGE difference (though I think it does mention Dish's HD package). Technically, it is true that Dish Network delivers local channels to your house in a digital format, unlike Suddenlink. Dish Network has a local facility that receives the Abilene stations' off-air NTSC (analog) signals via antenna, converts them to highly-compressed digital data, uplinks that data to the satellites, sends it back to the dish on your roof, and your receiver decodes the data back into an analog NTSC signal that your t.v. can understand.

Suddenlink's basic cable (including the local channels) can be connected directly to your cable-ready NTSC t.v. without the need for a cable box, so technically it's an analog signal that's delivered to your home. Even this basic cable signal can be considered digital, though, because the infrastructure from Suddenlink's building on S. Clack St. to your alley is largely fiber optic (digital), but the basic analog channels are piggy-backed so to speak....and even with digital cable, the under-100 channels are in analog form....

It's all very confusing, but HD is HD. HD is always digital, but digital is only sometimes HD, and digital cannot be called HD unless it is HD; otherwise that's false advertising, and people can get in a LOT of trouble for that......

Ok now I'm confused......
post #50 of 1227 Old 02-04-2007, 08:48 PM

Liked: 12
Hooray for HD Superbowl!!! Too bad KTAB didn't advertise/educate well enough... when I talked to my friends, nobody knew anything about it. Oh well... I'm glad I'm a member here.
post #51 of 1227 Old 02-05-2007, 03:06 AM

Quote:

Hooray for HD Superbowl!!! Too bad KTAB didn't advertise/educate well enough... when I talked to my friends, nobody knew anything about it. Oh well... I'm glad I'm a member here.

I'll try to be as professional as I can, but apparently someone and their friends don't really watch KTAB, or at least the local newscasts.

KTAB is by far the most-watched local news organization in our 80-mile-radius DMA, and we produce 3.5 hours of local news every weekday (more than any other station). We HEAVILY promoted the Super Bowl in HD during every newscast last week; even had a graphic up behind the anchors counting down the days until the SB in HD. Including Saturday's news, that's 18.5 hours of HD promotion in the week prior to the Super Bowl, not including the promos and ids mentioning the same thing. Even some of our "friends" at KTXS were asking us "why are ya'll making such a big deal out of HD?" We also had a major promotion with Buffalo Wild Wings, where every HD screen in the place was showing the game.

As for educating the public, last Thursday, from 5-7 pm, we had a phone bank set up at our station to answer any questions our viewers had about HD and DTV. We went live from the phone bank twice during the 5pm news and once during the 6pm news. We promoted the fact that viewers could call us for days prior to that, and that they could also go to our website, and on our Thursday 10pm newscast we had yet another live shot reiterating some of the most-asked DTV and HD questions.

Other than dropping leaflets from the sky, and the fact that we weren't sure until last Monday that we could actually make it happen, I'm not sure how much more publicizing and educating we could have done. Since the local newspaper has a partnership with KTXS, they never mentioned the fact; but if people don't watch t.v. news, I doubt they read the paper either....
post #52 of 1227 Old 02-05-2007, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93geo View Post

Even some of our "friends" at KTXS were asking us "why are ya'll making such a big deal out of HD?" ....

That is about the dumbest thing I have ever read. It is not like it is the future of television or anything.

Please keep us updated on the going on at KRBC and KTAB, it is good to have somebody on the inside.
post #53 of 1227 Old 02-05-2007, 07:52 AM

I tell ya if those "friends over at KTXS" flipped over and watched the game in HD then now they will know why it is such a big deal.

That had to be the best HD broadcast that I have ever seen. Amazing quality (until the rain mucked it up a bit) throughout the game. The halftime was truely amazing too. CBS did a fantastic job on the broadcast. Thank you KTAB for getting this done.

On thing I noticed all weekend on KTAB HD though. The sound goes out about every 5-10 minutes at random time but comes right back on. Not annoying enough to not enjoy the broadcast but noticable nonetheless.

All in all I think KTAB did a fantastic job of letting people know the game was going to be in HD and I would venture a guess that anyone that had an HD TV that cared about the game knew it was going to be broadcast in HD locally.
post #54 of 1227 Old 02-05-2007, 05:59 PM

Liked: 12
93geo-

Spot on with your assumptions... I never really watched the networks unless it was something I really wanted to watch (football). The PQ over Dish was pretty bad and the digital OTA station kept breaking lock for me. I don't get the paper either. So as far as KTAB's print and TV ads are concerned, I don't have a say. I just wish they reached more people. This is more a complaint about public education of DTV in general. The masses should not be missing what we saw yesterday. It was awesome.

Here's some food for thought: I didn't see any signs in CC when I went in last week (Sunday). That seems like an obvious place to advertise. Is it feasible? I don't know, but I hope somebody tries. The other thing I would do is make it more obvious on the web site. Right now there's a tiny text link sandwiched between the doppler pic and an ad for an "H-D Television" giveaway contest. I found the text link because I was looking for it and I knew it was there. The ad barely mentions KTAB broadcasting in HD. The graphic is nice, but how about "Win an HDTV to watch KTAB in High Definition!" There's also no link to the faq on that page.

If you have any pull with the internet people, please ask them add a button to those navigation links on the left (HDTV on KTAB) in big letters or a graphical link on the right with the HDTV logo.

The guys I talked to about watching the superbowl just aren't up to speed when it comes to "how to get HTDV in Abilene". The basics of getting an antenna aren't obvious enough. If I were to write the FAQ, at the top, I'd add a "WHAT YOU NEED" section along the lines of:

WHAT YOU NEED

1. An HDTV or HD ready TV + STB

2. An antenna (regular bunny ears work just fine in the metro area) or HD Cable*

See below for more info

(*website is unclear on this one. "Yes and No depending on your cable TV provider." Is there more than one? Can I get a straight answer?)

The what you need basics are buried in a lot of words. I completely missed out on the antenna thing on my first skim because it's in the Cable/Dish Network section.

Just my thoughts on the matter, take it or leave it.

-Jon
post #55 of 1227 Old 02-06-2007, 08:12 AM

Johnny you are right about there needing to be more education but unfortunately this is not just a local problem. All over the country people are confused as to how to get HD or if they even can and rightly so. HD can be a complicated beast at the moment for non-techy people. I think though this coming year into next year as more channels are added to D* and E* in HD and Cable also they will really start to inform the public more.

Locally well I think KTAB has done a great job so far in their quest to get the information out to the public and I am sure they will do much, much more. Remember they have only known they were going to go live this last weekend for a couple of weeks so it takes time to get that snow ball rolling. I think in March when KRBC gets on the HD bandwagon that we will see a serious push of more information. Hopefully KTXS will change their opinion of HD when they see how people are truely excited about HD on CBS and NBC.

Really the best thing that any of us can do to help with the process would be to show off the programming every time someone visits your house. Record (if you can) Discovery HD, National Geo HD, and/ or CSI:Miami and show that off when someone comes in. That will spark the interest and make sure to answer all their questions. We as consumers through word of mouth can have just as big of an effect on the demand and education as the networks and cable providers.
post #56 of 1227 Old 02-14-2007, 01:57 PM

Does anyone else have problems with lipsync on KTAB? I've got a Dish 622 pulling the OTA signal and I'm noticing a rather annoying delay. All the other sat HD's and KTXS are all good.

Also, I guess everyone knows the KRBC HD gear ended up in Lubbock at Nexstar's KLBK after the the KRBC antenna fell. It looks like KRBC isn't going HD anytime soon.
post #57 of 1227 Old 02-14-2007, 02:39 PM - Thread Starter

I've had some lipsync problems with KTAB, but only occasionally and not recently. I have also had problems with KTXS. I assume the problem is on their end as I never have it on all channels and it usually goes away when the next program starts.

I had not heard that about KRBC. Prior to the Superbowl, they were claiming that KRBC would be in HD on the new tower with KTAB. As I get the local channels OTA and only use my DirecTV HD tuner, I cannot get KRBC at all now since the old tower fell down. I had been hoping that they would be back on the air with the new, full power, digital HD signal soon. Guess I will not be watching any NBC programs for a while.
post #58 of 1227 Old 02-16-2007, 12:13 PM

I have not noticed any lip sync problems with either channels. I do still have a momentary audio drop on CBS ever once in awhile. I am thinking it has to be the channel because my audio receiver does not show it looses a dolby digital signal so the signal is still there but just a second or two of no sound.

No problems for the most part on KTXS.

I have not heard anything more of what KRBC was going to do other than what was previously posted here. What you're saying does not make much sense to me since they knew regardless if the tower had fell or not that they were going to broadcast from the same location as KTAB. Where dd you hear this bit of news? Perhaps 93Geo can shed a little light on this for us.
post #59 of 1227 Old 02-18-2007, 01:22 AM

Again, sorry for not responding more often....

I, too, have noticed audio glitches and lip synch issues with 'tab's HD signal. Our engineers are aware of the problems and are in the process of trying to remedy it. I think it's a faulty piece of CBS equipment on our end.

And KRBC will resume DTV transmission as soon as both stations' full-power transmitters are up and running, still slated for sometime in March. We're already receiving NBC's HD signal in our master control facility, and the picture is AWESOME! And KR will be doing at least as big of HD push as 'tab is!
post #60 of 1227 Old 02-20-2007, 12:11 PM

Lip-sync errors are being noticed more because most flat screen technologies add close to 100 ms of video delay boosting overall audio leading video to 120 to 160 ms which becomes very noticeable. Most people won't notice 50 ms of delay but after noticing 150 ms most people then notice much smaller sync errors than they did before. Two people can watch exactly the same program with the same lip-sync error and one may be disturbed immensely while the other doesn't even see it at all. You can Google "lip-sync error" and you will see how big a problem it is and why there is no solution other than to delay the audio to match the cumulative video delay at the final stage - that is, at your display.
Three companies make digital audio delays for lip-sync correction: Alchemy2, Felston, and Primare and all of them allow remote control adjustment of audio delay to match video delay while watching your program without disturbing the viewing. That is essential for true lip-sync control and while some new av receivers claim a lip-sync delay feature, none that I have seen allow on-the-fly adjustment and most do not have nearly enough total delay - some as little as 80 ms.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page