Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 1226 Old 01-15-2009, 02:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ejohn60 View Post

Today Dish Network reported that they expanded their local HD markets and KTAB and KRBC were listed in the report. I wonder what happened to KTXS. I get a good OTA signal from KTAB and KRBC but not KTXS here in Brown county. The latest uplink report showed KTAB and KRBC HD listed on a 61.5 spot beam but all the Abilene locals in SD are now are on 148. Unless something changes it means a lot of wing dishes will have to be reaimed. I hope Dish doesn't say the HD locals will only be available to new customers.

Good to hear they finally got at least some of ours up. That's been an on again/off again scheduled addition since April. From what I understand, 61.5 location is supposed to be a 'one dish' solution type settup for all mpeg 4 service that people are refering to as Eastern Arch. I haven't followed this in the last few months but when they were first putting markets on the 61.5 location, emails and mailers went out to subs telling them to call to schedule a 'repoint' and I think it was free of charge.

By law, I think all the sd locals have to be available on the same satellite as the satellite that has the hd locals which means to insist on making current subs wait, they would have to maintain the channels on both the 148 and 61.5 location. I don't think they'd want to do that.

We'll see... I'll be looking for that mailer!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 1226 Old 01-15-2009, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ejohn60 View Post

Today Dish Network reported that they expanded their local HD markets and KTAB and KRBC were listed in the report. I wonder what happened to KTXS. I get a good OTA signal from KTAB and KRBC but not KTXS here in Brown county. The latest uplink report showed KTAB and KRBC HD listed on a 61.5 spot beam but all the Abilene locals in SD are now are on 148. Unless something changes it means a lot of wing dishes will have to be reaimed. I hope Dish doesn't say the HD locals will only be available to new customers.

KTXS is trying to fleece the sat/cable companies for money to pass their digital signal....according to Abileneguy above it is now available on Suddenlink digital. I have Suddenlink expanded basic but should still be able to pull in KTXS digital (can't find it with QAM scans) unless it's scrambled for now. I'm just wondering if they can continue scrambling after Feb 17th when the digital signal is the only one available.

Basically, unless Dish agrees to pay KTXS (or they back down) you will have to have a separate OTA antenna to get the digital signal.

"The quickest way to get over your fear of plasma is to actually own *one"- joemama127

*or 3 :)
post #633 of 1226 Old 01-15-2009, 06:22 PM

I still remember when I first watched Bonanza in color on my grandparents TV in the late 1950's. I didn't think anything would ever surpass that move from B&W TV. But I believe HD has, and I didn't realize it until I got accustomed to watching HD and then had to watch SD on an HDTV!

I'm hoping that as more and more people discover HD so much pressure will be put on the providers that it will soon be as pervasive as color is now.

Those of us outside of the close proximity of Abilene(Trent) have missed a lot of HD programming from KTXS/ABC. Personally I won't miss ABC that much this time of the year since football season is over but I hated to have to watch Big 12 football in SD. I just hope we don't have to live through another season watching the Cowboys in SD.
post #634 of 1226 Old 01-15-2009, 08:34 PM

When I first saw a demonstration of HD in a store several years back I thought the difference was so startling that it must be what someone who was used to black and white seeing color for the first time. I'm too young to remember black and white exclusively as all channels were color by the time I have memory of but I do remember black and white sets being common and we only had one color one when I was a kid.

We've been watching HD via OTA, including ABC, but we do have Dish Network as well with the 'HD only' package. When 24 started up again for the first time since having our HD set a few days ago, it was the first time my wife noticed a difference. She couldn't stand the KXVA picture. It's the first time we've watched that channel for more than 5 minutes since getting our HD TV. She kept asking me what was wrong with the TV, channel, program, etc. She refused to believe that's what we used to watch. To be fair though, KXVA is by far the worst SD channel I've ever seen.

I do think you'll see that the more people have HD, the less SD they watch. We didn't go to 'HD only' with dish at first. We just learned that we only wanted watch 'the good picture' stuff and didn't watch much SD anymore so we switched to a package that was cheaper. Over time, nielsen rating will reflect that and stations will be forced to be HD or not at all.
post #635 of 1226 Old 01-16-2009, 08:57 AM

When we lived in Abilene from about 1975 - 1992 I seem to remember that the Dallas networks were available on cable.....even had some old fashioned cable boxes with wired remotes and push buttons for changing channels. Seems like if channel 8 (WFAA) had national programming the cable company would put KTXS on 8 so we would get the local commercials. Anyone remember that?

When the Abilene channels were first available on Dish Network a few years ago we were forced to get a second dish and lost the Dallas networks. I hated that. We continued to keep Brownwood TV cable just for the Dallas networks but recently dropped them since they no longer carry them.
post #636 of 1226 Old 01-16-2009, 12:36 PM

Jay Rockefeller (D-WV) has filed legislation to delay the digital transition until June. http://rockefeller.senate.gov/press/...cfm?id=306824&
post #637 of 1226 Old 01-16-2009, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-bone2006 View Post

Jay Rockefeller (D-WV) has filed legislation to delay the digital transition until June. http://rockefeller.senate.gov/press/...cfm?id=306824&

Yeah know, I've been following this and really don't see how Pres. Bush has anything to do with people not being ready. In 2020 some hippie is going to stub his toe and sue the federal government because Bush should have stopped him from doing it.

Really though, this has been put off and put off so that all can get ready. People have had since January to get those coupons to get a converter, which I'm not sure why the government is supposed to pay for it. With all the constant ads and new stories going on the people that are going to be 'left in the dark' either don't know because they don't watch enough TV which would mean it doesn't matter or they waited too long to do anything about it.

How about an article that points out how expensive putting this of is going to be for broadcasters and programmers.

Of course I'm probably preaching to the choir in this thread...

Anyway, J.R. just 'made the list, buddy'... AND DON'T CALL ME FANCIS!!!
post #638 of 1226 Old 01-16-2009, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigepilot View Post

Yeah know, I've been following this and really don't see how Pres. Bush has anything to do with people not being ready. In 2020 some hippie is going to stub his toe and sue the federal government because Bush should have stopped him from doing it.

Really though, this has been put off and put off so that all can get ready. People have had since January to get those coupons to get a converter, which I'm not sure why the government is supposed to pay for it. With all the constant ads and new stories going on the people that are going to be 'left in the dark' either don't know because they don't watch enough TV which would mean it doesn't matter or they waited too long to do anything about it.

How about an article that points out how expensive putting this of is going to be for broadcasters and programmers.

Of course I'm probably preaching to the choir in this thread...

Anyway, J.R. just 'made the list, buddy'... AND DON'T CALL ME FANCIS!!!

This quote..

“I am especially concerned because this transition is going to hit our most vulnerable citizens—the poor, the elderly, the disabled, and those with language barriers—the hardest. Rural communities that rely on over-the-air television will be especially impacted. We risk leaving those who are most reliant on over-the-air broadcast television for their information literally in the dark, and I’m fighting to see that this does not occur,” Rockefeller said.

just doesn't fly with me. The only people I can see that might have a legit problem are the elderly and disabled...but most of them have someone who can buy and install the box for them. Being poor isn't an excuse either...waiting too long to request coupons means they weren't too worried about losing tv anyway. Spanish language channels have been running DTV ads...and people that can't understand either english or spanish likely don't watch tv just for the moving pictures. I think this is politically motivated (blame Bush/Republicans for everything that isn't a 100% success) move more than anything.

Also, none of the hundreds of stations across the country have budgeted for the cost of analog transmission after Feb 17th and some have already done away with analog and have been digital only for months now. Are the stations that have gone exclusively digital going to be forced to reinstall and maintain their analog equipment? (assuming they still have it) Of course, KXVA and the handful of others who apparently haven't budgeted for anything would be the only ones to benefit from a delay...assuming of course that 3-6 months extra would be enough time to raise the money for the digital equipment.

"The quickest way to get over your fear of plasma is to actually own *one"- joemama127

post #639 of 1226 Old 01-21-2009, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemama127 View Post

KTXS is trying to fleece the sat/cable companies for money to pass their digital signal....according to Abileneguy above it is now available on Suddenlink digital. I have Suddenlink expanded basic but should still be able to pull in KTXS digital (can't find it with QAM scans) unless it's scrambled for now. I'm just wondering if they can continue scrambling after Feb 17th when the digital signal is the only one available.

Basically, unless Dish agrees to pay KTXS (or they back down) you will have to have a separate OTA antenna to get the digital signal.

ktxs is on 81.1 its not scrambled
post #640 of 1226 Old 01-22-2009, 03:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddog69 View Post

ktxs is on 81.1 its not scrambled

Ahh..ok thanks. I couldn't find it my first two scans and manual tuning didn't work...the third scan picked it up though. I knew that someone in the area had to be using a QAM tuner other than me.

edit- more than 10 minutes into primetime and I still haven't seen any HD on 81.1...just appears to be an analog signal over a digital channel. I wonder what people who use an antenna/rabbit ears are getting?

edit2- seems that KTXS hasn't figured out how to do the scrolling warning thing with HD (about the wildfires) and are now showing Greys anatomy in HD.

post #641 of 1226 Old 01-27-2009, 05:35 AM
adb
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Now with the transition put off until June it will be interesting to see if our local Fox station goes ahead with their changeover or waits and puts it off again. My bet is that they will put it off.
post #642 of 1226 Old 01-27-2009, 05:44 AM

http://www.reuters.com/article/techn...50Q03M20090127

You beat me to it. Our Faux station will wait until June (if it even happens then). Last we heard when the station finally did start posting information they where 1. Still unable to get the equipment and 2. they were scared of loosing viewers with an early cut over. The idiots in Washington are saying people are not ready, even though they have had more than a year, I am sure our Faux station will say the same so they will wait.
post #643 of 1226 Old 01-27-2009, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Wow...they really did it. That Reuters article makes it very clear that it was politically motivated more than anything. I guess they ignored the fact that several stations across the country have already ceased analog transmission months ago with little or no backlash from viewers. I also find it really hard to believe that there are millions left that will be cut off due to anything more than their own indifference or negligence. I'll bet the number of elderly or disabled that truly have nobody that can purchase and install a converter box for them (or don't have cable/sat) is very low. Hell, they can call me and I'll be happy to take their coupons to Best Buy and then install the box for them. Unless they were the very earliest recipients of the coupons...there is no good excuse for letting the 3 months pass until they expire. Even then...I signed up my Father on the first day of registration, he recieved his coupons a few weeks later and there were boxes available even in Abilene Texas. There was only one model (either Zenith from CC or Insignia from BB but both were the same) but it was available nonetheless..

post #644 of 1226 Old 01-27-2009, 03:03 PM
adb
AVS Special Member

Interesting in this mornings paper that Suddenlink is going to do away with Dallas PBS and pick up Lubbock PBS, the primary reason is being able to offer Lubbock PBS HD to the cable viewer.
post #645 of 1226 Old 01-27-2009, 04:39 PM

Hi, new here. Has anyone tried to get a response from Fox via email on the switch? Also I noticed a couple days ago that TV guide lists a 15.1 fox channel.

Bummer about the switch being put off till June, I think the mojority of us are prolly ready, I know I sure am.

Anyways, glad I found this site, good reads here.
post #646 of 1226 Old 01-28-2009, 09:23 AM

Quote:

http://www.reuters.com/article/techn...50Q03M20090127

You beat me to it. Our Faux station will wait until June (if it even happens then). Last we heard when the station finally did start posting information they where 1. Still unable to get the equipment and 2. they were scared of loosing viewers with an early cut over. The idiots in Washington are saying people are not ready, even though they have had more than a year, I am sure our Faux station will say the same so they will wait.

If their OTA viewers are very far away from the tower site, their signal sux anyway. I'm 12 miles with an antenna in the attic that is amplified and the signal is still snowy. That's compared to KRBC & KTAB basically the same distance / direction and good clean signal still on their analog transmitters. So I don't buy this losing viewers BS. I got to where I didn't watch them anyway unless there was a game on. Since I got the SD waiver for Fox from DTV, I watch Ch 5 out of NYC for my Jack Bauer fix ...
post #647 of 1226 Old 01-28-2009, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceriff View Post

Hi, new here. Has anyone tried to get a response from Fox via email on the switch?

Good one

No seriously they do not answer any questions e-mail or otherwise. Last time they did answer on myfoxabilene.com they said they were still waiting to get the equipment (that was 2007)
post #648 of 1226 Old 01-28-2009, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX Champ View Post

If their OTA viewers are very far away from the tower site, their signal sux anyway. I'm 12 miles with an antenna in the attic that is amplified and the signal is still snowy. That's compared to KRBC & KTAB basically the same distance / direction and good clean signal still on their analog transmitters. So I don't buy this losing viewers BS. I got to where I didn't watch them anyway unless there was a game on. Since I got the SD waiver for Fox from DTV, I watch Ch 5 out of NYC for my Jack Bauer fix ...

NO DELAY!!
http://i.gizmodo.com/5141254/house-d...-tv-transition
post #649 of 1226 Old 01-28-2009, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter

Way to go Republicans! We finally won something. NEWS ARTICLE Hopefully this will be the end of efforts to delay the transition. KXVA better be getting things ready for the change-over as it is really coming.
post #650 of 1226 Old 01-28-2009, 02:16 PM
adb
AVS Special Member

I'm not sure it is over. The Democrats can bring it back up for a floor vote (this one was an attachment) and then only a simple majority is required for passage.
post #651 of 1226 Old 01-28-2009, 02:46 PM

Guys,

I'm receiving this third hand, but I work with a guy who is friends with a FOX employee. The FOX employee says they are for sure going digital on the February 17 date but that they won't carry HD for a couple more months (presumably the June date?).

Anyway, I thought I would pass the info along. I guess it's good they are going digital, but without HD I don't guess it is all that great.
post #652 of 1226 Old 01-28-2009, 03:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkr2455 View Post

Guys,

I'm receiving this third hand, but I work with a guy who is friends with a FOX employee. The FOX employee says they are for sure going digital on the February 17 date but that they won't carry HD for a couple more months (presumably the June date?).

Anyway, I thought I would pass the info along. I guess it's good they are going digital, but without HD I don't guess it is all that great.

Wow...why are they even going to bother? Digital SD is only slightly better than analog SD. Guess they are trying to raise the money for the HD equipment...good luck with that when all of the viewers are watching the other locals simply because they look so much better.

post #653 of 1226 Old 01-29-2009, 05:41 AM

Has anyone been able to get 9.1 or 32.1? I noticed they were gone Before I went to work at 10 pm last night. I figured people here were talking about it.
post #654 of 1226 Old 01-29-2009, 06:58 AM

Quote:

Has anyone been able to get 9.1 or 32.1? I noticed they were gone Before I went to work at 10 pm last night. I figured people here were talking about it.

According to their web site there is a thick layer of ice causing problems with their transmitter. See the article here: bigcountryhomepage.com/content/fulltext/?cid=97892
post #655 of 1226 Old 01-29-2009, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba72 View Post

According to their web site there is a thick layer of ice causing problems with their transmitter. See the article here: bigcountryhomepage.com/content/fulltext/?cid=97892

The article says that this problem does not affect the Dish Network feed, but I had only a solid yellow screen on both KTAB and KRBC both last night and this morning.
post #656 of 1226 Old 01-29-2009, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba72 View Post

Thank you very much Bubba. I guess I should of checked their website first.
post #657 of 1226 Old 01-29-2009, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemama127 View Post

Wow...why are they even going to bother? Digital SD is only slightly better than analog SD. Guess they are trying to raise the money for the HD equipment...good luck with that when all of the viewers are watching the other locals simply because they look so much better.

For those of us with DirecTV who don't have a waiver, we don't get FOX at all right now because we have to get our locals OTA, and the DirecTV receiver only accepts digital. A digital Fox would be much better than no Fox at all for us.
post #658 of 1226 Old 01-29-2009, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abileneguy2005 View Post

For those of us with DirecTV who don't have a waiver, we don't get FOX at all right now because we have to get our locals OTA, and the DirecTV receiver only accepts digital. A digital Fox would be much better than no Fox at all for us.

I was able to get a waiver for Fox and PBS. I get Fox from NYC (In HD!) and LA (holy cow! Their local news is a different experiance compared to ours!) as well as the national PBS channel.

I really like my setup with DirecTV, having the digital OTA channels married into the main converter sure comes in handy during big storms when the dish goes out. I can still get my man Damon Lane letting me know what weather weirdness is going on!
post #659 of 1226 Old 01-30-2009, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvzeek96 View Post

I was able to get a waiver for Fox and PBS.

How where you able to get a waiver? I know someone else local with dtv locals. I am thinking of going direct tv.
post #660 of 1226 Old 01-30-2009, 05:55 PM

For anyone curious, KTAB and TRBC Digital has been out since at least Wed. (when I noticed it). When I called them Wed night I was told that the ice storm knocked it out and they were working hard to fix it. I wasn't given any word as to how long it was going to take and now that it's Friday night I can't help but wonder if it will be up again for the Super Bowl.

Now, as to whether Dish will provide a repoint free of charge to the 61.5 location, they will. They will be at my house tomorrow afternoon to do it. After they are done, I will have KTAB adn KRBC HD via Satellite in addition to OTA.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page