Abilene, TX - HDTV - Page 28 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #811 of 1227 Old 02-18-2009, 05:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I had a bad splitter and thought they were gone. Removed splitter, adjusted antenna and now upper 60's with a peak in the 70's on fox. The other stations are in the 90's with no problem. Granted I am in the center of Abilene but you would think 100% all the way around for someone right in the middle. Hope to see some HD for the races coming up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 1227 Old 02-18-2009, 08:44 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
KTXS HD was added today on Dish Network channel 5170 on the 61.5 satellite. Not available yet to subscribers but it won't be long till it's turned on.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-net...1-changes.html

Knowledge is Power. Trust but Verify.
post #813 of 1227 Old 02-18-2009, 08:59 PM

Liked: 16
I don't mean to be a negative nancy here but it was also uplinked on a satellite for DishNetwork on April 1, 2008 where it sat there unavailable for several months before being removed. Of course, at the same time KTAB and KRBC were added and also later removed and this time around we have KTAB and KRBC so the situation is a little different but just wanted to point out that just because it's uplinked doesn't mean it's comming soon.

Not to mention that Dish's idea of 'soon' isn't quite the same as most of the rest of us.
post #814 of 1227 Old 02-19-2009, 05:58 AM

It looks like KTXS is now available!

http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-net...ds-turned.html
post #815 of 1227 Old 02-19-2009, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ejohn60 View Post

Well, excellent then!!!

Now if we can get some HD out of KXVA, it'll be a good week indeed!
post #816 of 1227 Old 02-19-2009, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ejohn60 View Post

Have you actually seen the channel on Dish through your receiver? The reason I ask is Tigepilot is correct in that even though they uplink sometimes it takes day/weeks/months to show up.

I will check at lunch since I am currently at work, but I thought if you were in front of your TV then this would be good info.
post #817 of 1227 Old 02-19-2009, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprint67 View Post

Have you actually seen the channel on Dish through your receiver? The reason I ask is Tigepilot is correct in that even though they uplink sometimes it takes day/weeks/months to show up.

I will check at lunch since I am currently at work, but I thought if you were in front of your TV then this would be good info.

I checked the link he provided. It does show that it has been made available to subscribers. I'm not home to varify though.
post #818 of 1227 Old 02-19-2009, 10:19 AM
adb
AVS Special Member

I just talked to an engineer at KTAB and one at Fox. The one from Fox said they are in HD but at low power. He said their antenna was among three on a hill outside of Clyde. He said they would not be full power until June. The engineer from KTAB said they were still at reduced power and might be full power in a week or a month, that they are just waiting for parts.
post #819 of 1227 Old 02-19-2009, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adb View Post

I just talked to an engineer at KTAB and one at Fox. The one from Fox said they are in HD but at low power. He said their antenna was among three on a hill outside of Clyde. He said they would not be full power until June. The engineer from KTAB said they were still at reduced power and might be full power in a week or a month, that they are just waiting for parts.

KXVA may be HD now (been out of town since early Wed.) but there's no way they were HD Tuesday night when I was watching. It was digital but not HD. Has anyone seen HD from KXVA over the air yet? Haven't heard anyone say.
post #820 of 1227 Old 02-19-2009, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigepilot View Post

KXVA may be HD now (been out of town since early Wed.) but there's no way they were HD Tuesday night when I was watching. It was digital but not HD. Has anyone seen HD from KXVA over the air yet? Haven't heard anyone say.

No, everything I've seen has been 480i. Since I haven't bee watching Fox in prime time this week since Monday (24), I may be missing it if they are HD. I do know AI wasn't in HD what ever night it comes on.

The 3 towers referenced are out on 36 SE of Potosi. One is KXVA's, one belongs to KTAB/KRBC and I assume the 3rd is one of the FM stations.
post #821 of 1227 Old 02-19-2009, 12:20 PM

Quote:

It is there. At first, it had some message about my smart card not being authorized, but when i checked a few minutes later, it was on.
post #822 of 1227 Old 02-19-2009, 12:59 PM

Yup, just got home and KTXS is there in HD from Dish's sat. Dissapointed that it's still DD2.0 though.

KXVA's signal is way lower than it was Tuesday evening. It was around 98% or better then, now I get it at about 75% with signal drops.
post #823 of 1227 Old 02-19-2009, 01:06 PM

Quote:

I just talked to an engineer at KTAB and one at Fox. The one from Fox said they are in HD but at low power. He said their antenna was among three on a hill outside of Clyde. He said they would not be full power until June.

I've tried unsuccessfully to get a hold of the engineer at the parent station in San Angelo (KIDY), about this. That gives me hope because if they aren't up to full power yet, maybe I have a shot at some KXVA signal June 12th. Currently there is nothing from them in Sweetwater.
post #824 of 1227 Old 02-19-2009, 02:04 PM
adb
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shy_guy View Post

It is there. At first, it had some message about my smart card not being authorized, but when i checked a few minutes later, it was on.

KXVA has been HD for me for the last three days at 81.2

Of course most of their programing is SD in which case there are black bars on the sides. The few that have been broadcast in HD were so indicated visually and by my readings.
post #825 of 1227 Old 02-19-2009, 02:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricler View Post

I've tried unsuccessfully to get a hold of the engineer at the parent station in San Angelo (KIDY), about this. That gives me hope because if they aren't up to full power yet, maybe I have a shot at some KXVA signal June 12th. Currently there is nothing from them in Sweetwater.

KXVA's analog service contour extended to Roscoe west of Sweetwater, but their full power digital contour doesn't make it to Sweetwater and their low power digital hits about halfway between Trent and Sweetwater (see link).

http://www.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/FMTV-serv...DS1289526.html

Even after they go full power, you'll need a good high gain UHF outside antenna (CM-4228 or 91XG) on a 20 foot mast (and possibly a preamp) to pick it up. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but hey, all it takes is money. At least you don't have to shell out the big bucks on the transmitter conversion like the station does, eh?

post #826 of 1227 Old 02-19-2009, 02:11 PM

Quote:

KXVA has been HD for me for the last three days at 81.2

Of course most of their programing is SD in which case there are black bars on the sides. The few that have been broadcast in HD were so indicated visually and by my readings.

Well that gives us OTA guys hope that we will indeed get HD from Fox eventually. Must still be some work to be done.
post #827 of 1227 Old 02-19-2009, 04:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Yup, just got home and KTXS is there in HD from Dish's sat. Dissapointed that it's still DD2.0 though.

Yes, this mornings update shows it now available.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-net...2-changes.html

Enjoy!

post #828 of 1227 Old 02-19-2009, 04:44 PM

The third tower on Hwy 36 is indeed an FM tower. Last I checked, KEYJ, KEAN, and whatever 100.7 is all broadcast from there. I believe (it's been a while since I was up there) that the first tower headed out of town is KTAB/KRBC, the second tower is the FM tower, and the third tower is KXVA.

And, in case anyone is interested (it may have been mentioned here before) the KTXS tower is about 7 miles south of Trent on the hill. Their tower is the taller one, and the shorter one just to the west is where KBCY 99.7 and KHXS 102.7 broadcast from.
post #829 of 1227 Old 02-19-2009, 05:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

And this is why I'm glad I resisted the urge to get Directtv instead of Suddenlink. I'm not gloating or anything but...Suddenlink users have had all four locals digital/HD for nearly a week now.

"The quickest way to get over your fear of plasma is to actually own *one"- joemama127

*or 3 :)
post #830 of 1227 Old 02-19-2009, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemama127 View Post

And this is why I'm glad I resisted the urge to get Directtv instead of Suddenlink. I'm not gloating or anything but...Suddenlink users have had all four locals digital/HD for nearly a week now.

But you also had to live without KTXS in HD for a really long time compared to those of use with the OTA tuner you find in some of the Directv and Dishnetwork equipment. I don't know how long it was but it was WAY more than a week. So go on and gloat... I don't think we're going to have to wait nearly as long as you did for KTXS HD.
post #831 of 1227 Old 02-19-2009, 07:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

But you also had to live without KTXS in HD for a really long time compared to those of use with the OTA tuner you find in some of the Directv and Dishnetwork equipment. I don't know how long it was but it was WAY more than a week. So go on and gloat... I don't think we're going to have to wait nearly as long as you did for KTXS HD.

Not really, I just had to use a standalone tuner for KTXS which was a pita. Also, maybe I spoke too soon...has anyone actually seen anything in true HD on Fox 81.2? Looks like the picture is standard def stretched to 16:9. I rarely watch anything on Fox so it doesn't matter...just wondering.

"The quickest way to get over your fear of plasma is to actually own *one"- joemama127

post #832 of 1227 Old 02-19-2009, 08:24 PM
adb
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Not really, I just had to use a standalone tuner for KTXS which was a pita. Also, maybe I spoke too soon...has anyone actually seen anything in true HD on Fox 81.2? Looks like the picture is standard def stretched to 16:9. I rarely watch anything on Fox so it doesn't matter...just wondering.

I have and just finished watching "Bones" in HD on cable. The display on my screen shows it to be HD when channels are changed. When I do a technical analysis on it it also shows to be HD.

I have had HD of all major networks (including Fox) for several years (Direct TV)the reason being I was "Grandfathered" in when waivers were being granted. I was always greatful that I had them and now I am delighted that so many in our area will now be able to get these HD channels whether it be satellite or cable, it doesn't matter.
post #833 of 1227 Old 02-19-2009, 09:06 PM

I also forgot to mention the difference in the number of national HD channels and the quality of the DVRs.
post #834 of 1227 Old 02-20-2009, 09:14 AM

Quote:

Someone mentioned in an earlier post that Suddenlink would be getting KXVA digital before everyone else since they would have a direct fiber optic feed. KXVA may not be broadcasting digital over the air just yet..

Quote:

I did a scan this morning for 15.1 OTA and didn't get it so still no KXVA digital OTA at the moment.

On a more positive note, all this talk about Suddenlink having all the channels got me thinking Saturday night. I have Dish Network but I also have Cable Internet through Suddenlink. A friend of mine told me a few weeks ago that his cableco passed the basic cable channels to customers that were receiving cable internet, so I figured I would check Suddenlink. I hooked up the cable line to the TV and to my surprise there was over 60 channels that it tuned in. I went through and checked to see if anything but the locals were in HD and they were not so I deleted all of those but I could pick up all 4 major networks in HD.

The Daytona 500 looked pretty good in HD on Sunday, just wish they could have gotten this done before the Cowboys played this past season. Oh well shouldn't have to put up with that next year.

Come on FOX OTA!!!

Pardon my ignorance here guys but is KXVA OTA or not? I did a scan last night on my Dish receiver and got nothing. I'm confused....
post #835 of 1227 Old 02-20-2009, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmedwards1 View Post

Pardon my ignorance here guys but is KXVA OTA or not? I did a scan last night on my Dish receiver and got nothing. I'm confused....

It IS OTA and digital. People outside of the immediate abilene area are having trouble picking it up though because they are on low power only at the moment and will not have a high power transmitter until June. Also, so far it's just SD and not HD.
post #836 of 1227 Old 02-20-2009, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have and just finished watching "Bones" in HD on cable. The display on my screen shows it to be HD when channels are changed. When I do a technical analysis on it it also shows to be HD.

I have had HD of all major networks (including Fox) for several years (Direct TV)the reason being I was "Grandfathered" in when waivers were being granted. I was always greatful that I had them and now I am delighted that so many in our area will now be able to get these HD channels whether it be satellite or cable, it doesn't matter.

Ok, I just switched over to check and "Hells Kitchen" was on, but reality type shows usually aren't filmed in HD. To me it looked like a standard def broadcast stretched to 16:9...even the Fox logo at the bottom was partially cut off. I'll try again sometime when there is non-reality show programming (rare these days) and see if it's HD.

post #837 of 1227 Old 02-20-2009, 11:03 AM

look at the service area of KTAB on the map. If that is a full power digital representation of the KTAB service area, Sweetwater is well outside the hoop. KTAB-DT came in strong here when they were up. It at least gives me hope, I may still have a crack at pulling something in from KXVA later. I do currently have a Channel Master 8 bay bow tie antenna on a 25' mast with a radio shack mast mounted amp. Thanks for the link.

http://www.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/FMTV-serv...=DS619221.html
post #838 of 1227 Old 02-20-2009, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmedwards1 View Post

DirecTV receivers with Digital Broadcast OTA inputs rely on a database to provide the local channel lineup based on the zip code of the service area. They get that information from Tribune (Zap2it.com). Since KXVA had to Flash Cut, that DB has not been updated. I just checked their site and they are still not showing ch 15.1 as the station here yet.

It may take a week or so, but I don't expect to be able to get it through my DTV receiver for a while since there were probably hundreds of stations nationwide that cut on Tuesday. I don't know if Dish work similarly or not, but would stand to reason.
post #839 of 1227 Old 02-20-2009, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX Champ View Post

DirecTV receivers with Digital Broadcast OTA inputs rely on a database to provide the local channel lineup based on the zip code of the service area. They get that information from Tribune (Zap2it.com). Since KXVA had to Flash Cut, that DB has not been updated. I just checked their site and they are still not showing ch 15.1 as the station here yet.

It may take a week or so, but I don't expect to be able to get it through my DTV receiver for a while since there were probably hundreds of stations nationwide that cut on Tuesday. I don't know if Dish work similarly or not, but would stand to reason.

No, the DishNetwork recievers/dvrs tuner work like a regular TV tuner... just do a scan and if you can get a signal, it'll pull it in. You can also manually add the channel too. The guide info is dependent on some thing else though and so far that hasn't been updated. People not in the immediate vicinity of Abilene have been having difficulty getting the new signal so far.
post #840 of 1227 Old 02-20-2009, 06:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricler View Post

look at the service area of KTAB on the map. If that is a full power digital representation of the KTAB service area, Sweetwater is well outside the hoop. KTAB-DT came in strong here when they were up. It at least gives me hope, I may still have a crack at pulling something in from KXVA later. I do currently have a Channel Master 8 bay bow tie antenna on a 25' mast with a radio shack mast mounted amp. Thanks for the link.

http://www.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/FMTV-serv...=DS619221.html

The map link you posted was for KTAB-DT low power Special Temporary Authority (STA) at 2 Kilowatts. Their licensed full power of 1 MegaWatt service contour extends well beyond Sweetwater. (see my new link).

http://www.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/FMTV-serv...DT1201276.html

With your rig, though, you can probably pull in KXVA after they go to full power. I have friends in San Angelo that pick up KTAB-DT and KRBC-DT at full power. Good luck.

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page