Abilene, TX - HDTV - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 1227 Old 02-20-2007, 09:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just to clarify about the KRBC HD equipment, and to see if 93geo has some more info, here is the story:

Before the ice storm, KR had all the HD equipment on the ground ready to upgrade the low power digital signal to HD on the old tower. Then the tower fell. KLBK, a CBS affiliate needed HD gear to get the super bowl in HD in Lubbock so Nexstar moved the equipment over to Lubbock. I assumed that equipment will stay in Lubbock. I'd be more than happy to hear that KR will acquire more HD broadcast gear. My source is a hardware vendor who is in a position to know about the gear at both stations.

Here is the question I have: (This gets a bit technical)

We know that in 2009, KRBC and KTAB will both broadcast digital-only full power from two separate bays on the KTAB tower. I assumed on d-day the KTAB full power transmitter would be fed the KTAB-DT signal and then up to the old "analog" bays on top since it is UHF already. Then the low power transmitter removed (or upgraded to full power is more likely) and KRBC-DT would be connected in full-power to the lower bays previously carrying the KTAB-DT low power signal. Poof, two full power digital signals. What I can't figure out how to keep the current KTAB, KTAB-DT and add KRBC-DT. That would be three bay arrays on one tower. As I understand things, digital, regardless of power output, must be transmitted on a bay rated and designed for full power.

Now I'm assuming here that one would try to stack the bays, not place them side by side. I guess, conceivably, a third could be hung beside the current KTAB-DT but that would create one nasty signal shadow on both transmissions and generally degrade the quality of both stations remarkably. Any idea how Glen is going to pull this off or better yet, assuming he can, when KRBC-DT will back on air and in HD (months, years)?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 1227 Old 03-02-2007, 07:08 AM

Does anyone else have trouble with 12.2 (the cw) during prime time? From around 7pm - 9 the picture will cut out every few minutes. When I watch any other time it is flawless. Also why when I press guide, to see what is coming on KTAB later, the time is an hour ahead? The time is correct for KTXS.

Update: I tested the time again and now it is correct so please disregard the KTAB question.
post #63 of 1227 Old 03-02-2007, 08:25 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-bone2006 View Post

Does anyone else have trouble with 12.2 (the cw) during prime time? From around 7pm - 9 the picture will cut out every few minutes. When I watch any other time it is flawless.

I never watch the CW but I will try to take a look this weekend between 7 and 9pm.
post #64 of 1227 Old 03-02-2007, 08:41 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Did anyone have issues with KTXS yesterday? I have completely lost all signal from them where I was getting at least a 65%. The first time I noticed it was early aftgernoon and it never came back through the night. I have not had a chance to look to see if it was back on this morning.

I am still getting the same 95% signal strength on KTAB so I know the antenna is not the problem.
post #65 of 1227 Old 03-02-2007, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-bone2006 View Post

Does anyone else have trouble with 12.2 (the cw) during prime time? From around 7pm - 9 the picture will cut out every few minutes. When I watch any other time it is flawless. Also why when I press guide, to see what is coming on KTAB later, the time is an hour ahead? The time is correct for KTXS.

Update: I tested the time again and now it is correct so please disregard the KTAB question.

I am wondering if maybe this might not have something to do with when they are broadcasting a program in HD on 12.1 and it is sucking bandwidth away from 12.2. I am not versed in TV tech so I don't know if that is a true possiblility but it would make sense. I will take a look though and see what is happening on my TV (if I get the signal back).
post #66 of 1227 Old 03-02-2007, 06:45 PM

I too thought it might be because of ABC hd during prime time, but the cw does fine in the morning when good morning america is in hd. I wish they would drop the useless 12.3 or at least turn it off during prime time like they do in Dallas. I tried watching cw tonight but I hate wrestling so I have not done much testing.

Also why doesn't KTAB show Jeopardy and Wheel of Fortune in hd?
post #67 of 1227 Old 03-14-2007, 04:41 AM

Once again, sorry about not providing more frequent updates!

First some disappointing news: The on-air date of KTAB/KRBC's full-power DTV transmitters has been delayed until July. Something to do with unforeseen equipment delays and tower modifications...so no NBC-HD until then.

Saltsman brings up issues I haven't heard of, but then again I'm not in the day-to-day engineering loop. I do know, however, that NBC-HD was never planned for KRBC's old tower and LP DTV. At the very least, the existing 2ghz analog STL is incapable of carrying a digital signal. Only the new, multi-channel, digital 7ghz STL to the KTAB tower is capable of HD, as has always been the plan.

And to answer T-bone2006, Jeopardy and Wheel of Fortune aren't aired in HD because they are locally-originated syndicated programs. We have a very sweet master control facility, but it's still all SD for now (as are most local stations, especially in smaller markets). CBS and NBC network programming is not locally-originated; they're considered "live via satellite." The incoming network HD signals are in essence diverted around our local SD infrastructure and sent directly to the digital transmitter (though there is some fancy new equipment in the chain).

Jeopardy and Wheel of Fortune, like all syndicated programs, are delivered to us in advance via analog or digital satellite feeds, digital on-demand fiber-optics (in the case of Jeopardy and Wheel), videotape (BetacamSP, analog, or DVCPro, digital, both broadcast-standard component SD formats), or DVD. Same for the commercial spots.

Regardless of the delivery mechanism, all non-live programming is ingested into our bank of Leitch video servers, controlled by Avid/Sundance automation systems. Even though everything is "digital," there's a big, and expensive, difference between SD and HD. For a small-market broadcast operation, we're on the cutting edge; but upgrading our entire infrastructure to total HD, including syndicated programming and news, will require more time, and even more millions of dollars.

It will happen eventually, though!
post #68 of 1227 Old 03-14-2007, 06:33 AM

Thank you for the update for KRBC I was looking forward to watching NBC shows in HD. I was just curious as to why at the beginning of Jeopardy it says Jeopardy HD, you answered that question well. I have been impressed with KTAB HD, they have been doing fairly well. I am looking forward to watching NCAA basketball in HD! There have been a few times I have e-miled them, like last night after the weather man came on then they went back to NCIS it was not in HD for about 10 minutes. Little problems are expected and it is not that big of a deal. Please keep us up to date on the going on at KTAB/KRBC, and check this website more often.
post #69 of 1227 Old 03-14-2007, 07:19 AM

Dang that is some bad news about KRBC. I was really looking forward to watching some NHL games in HD for the rest of the season. Other than that I guess I can suffer through the only other shows I watch on NBC, Friday Night Lights and Heroes, in SD. Right now I would settle for them to just get the Digital back up and running, KRBC's picture on DISH is absolutely horrid.
post #70 of 1227 Old 03-14-2007, 07:45 AM - Thread Starter

That is disappointing about KRBC. The only local signals I get on my big screen in the living room are digital. I don't have an analog tuner hooked up in there, so I can't get KRBC at all until they get their digital signal back on the air. Meanwhile, KTAB looks great and KTXS is okay. Will FOX ever go digital?
post #71 of 1227 Old 03-28-2007, 02:44 PM

Well just think if there were no delays in the transmition equipment at KRBC then we would be watching NBC in HD already. Oh well CBS and ABC are nice to look at at least. I am bummed that I will not get to see any of the final Heores episodes in HD but maybe I can catch a few in reruns this summer.

BTW is everyone still getting audio drops in KTAB's signal? I am trying to figure out if it is my ViP622 or if it is actually in their feed.

Also it seems that my problems from a few weeks ago with KTAB were due to the fact that they changed their remapping info that was broadcast. It is now on digital channel 24.1 and not as before when I was watching on 32.1. I had to erase my local stations and rescan before that problem was fixed. Did anyone else have this problem?
post #72 of 1227 Old 03-28-2007, 07:25 PM - Thread Starter

I can get KTAB on both 24.1 and 32.1 now with my DirecTV H10 receiver. The channel guide information is only on 32.1. This has happened before then it cleared up. also, I was able to get KTXS on both 12.1 and 20.1 a couple of times.
post #73 of 1227 Old 04-23-2007, 07:05 PM

Don't know how long KTXS has had their HD Primer up on their web site but I just noticed it today. Interesting how it took them this long to actually put something up about HD on their site. You can find it here: http://www.ktxs.com/hd.html

What I find most interesting about this little primer is they mention most ABC programs are broadcast in DD 5.1 yet they continue to only pass along DD 2.1. I may have to give them a call and see what they have to say about why we are not getting the 5.1 (I am sure I know the answer *multicast* but I would still like to know what they claim it to be).

Changing gears: So are we still looking at July for KRBC? Also should we just abandon all hope that our lousy FOX station will ever go HD?
post #74 of 1227 Old 05-21-2007, 12:50 PM

hello everyone. I have enjoyed reading the latest news concerning abilene and HDTV...
Does anyone have any new updates to when the NBC and CBS will be broadcasted in HD?
I read that there were problems with the towers... is this still true?

Any new info will be appreciated.
post #75 of 1227 Old 05-21-2007, 01:17 PM
adb
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Wondering if 93geo might have updated information since his 3-14 post? Certainly will be nice when we get NBC-HD.
post #76 of 1227 Old 05-21-2007, 01:39 PM

mmaxwell- Currently both KTAB (CBS) and KTXS (ABC) are broadcasting in HD locally. I know KTXS is still on the Low Power transmitter and I am fairly certain KTAB has moved to their Full Powered transmitter. According to 93Geo (post made on 3-14) KRBC (NBC) will start broadcasting in HD in July if all the equipment arrives as planned. Originally KRBC was suppose to be up and running in March but equipment delays pushed that to July.

Unless anything has changed that is all the info I have heard perhaps 93geo could add a little more inside knowledge.
post #77 of 1227 Old 05-30-2007, 03:52 PM
adb
AVS Special Member

Still wondering if 93geo has any updated information.
post #78 of 1227 Old 06-20-2007, 01:04 PM

Well it looks as though we have lost 93geo or perhaps there just anything new to report.

Hopefully in a month or so we will see HD KRBC go live.

Fox is going to be painfully awful for football this year since all other channels broadcast the NFL in HD. I wish they would hurry up and make the move but as many have said they are low budget and no frills here in Abilene.
post #79 of 1227 Old 06-21-2007, 09:24 AM

This season I am going to watch more CBS and NBC football (as long as it is in HD) than I ever have before. Sadly the cowboys are going to loose me for awhile, but the Texans will gain a viewer.
post #80 of 1227 Old 06-23-2007, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Wow...it's been a while since I checked this thread! There were so few posts and so few people posting that I thought nobody in Abilene cared about HD. When I moved to town about a year ago I did a scan with my LST-3510A and only found the local CBS affiliate but the drop-outs were so frequent it wasn't even worth watching...at the time I thought maybe the ATSC tuner was going south on my box (and still think that since it never worked that well in DFW with plenty of DTV/HD) but now I know there just simply wasn't much available. It's great to finally hear from an insider...(all of my e-mails to local stations were ignored) and learn that HD is already here..at least with CBS and NBC. Like others, I am sceptical of Fox making the digital deadline much less ever going HD...it's a shame because I'm a 24 addict and the PQ is horrible.

Anyway...I've got a new Samsung DTB-H260F on order and it should be here by Monday. I'll do a scan and see what I can get OTA and QAM (from basic Suddenlink) and report back. I was on the verge of finally breaking down and paying for Suddenlink, Dish or Direct's pathetic HD lineup before I checked this thread..

"The quickest way to get over your fear of plasma is to actually own *one"- joemama127

*or 3 :)
post #81 of 1227 Old 06-25-2007, 07:24 AM

I bought the Samsung DTB-H260F several months ago. I really like it. User-friendly menu and nice tv guide feature. I have it hooked up to a 32" Panasonic HD monitor via indoor OTA antenna. I get three or four bars on the signal strength meter on a good day. I think it would be better on a roof or tower mount outdoor antenna. KTXS & KTAB is all you will get in HD for now. I experimented with connecting it to the cable, hoping it would detect digital signals. I ran a channel scan and it picked up nothing! Evdently it doesn't have the circuitry to de-code cable.

I also have a new widescreen LCD with internal HD tuner hooked up to Suddenlink cable and pick up KTAB HD on channel 114.1 and all the music channels.
post #82 of 1227 Old 06-25-2007, 07:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemama127 View Post

It's great to finally hear from an insider...(all of my e-mails to local stations were ignored) and learn that HD is already here..at least with CBS and NBC.

Unfortunately, NBC is not in HD yet. They have not even had a digital signal since January. Hopefully, they will get their tower repaired and the HD equipment installed before the fall season. KTXS (ABC) has a digital HD signal, but many viewers complain that it looks bad and is very low powered.
Quote:
Originally Posted by joemama127 View Post

I was on the verge of finally breaking down and paying for Suddenlink, Dish or Direct's pathetic HD lineup before I checked this thread..

I have the DirecTV HD package with HBO-HD and SHO-HD and am quite pleased with the quality most of the time.
post #83 of 1227 Old 06-25-2007, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

So basically at this time...
CBS- digital with some HD programming
ABC- digital with some HD with a weak signal
NBC- not yet but likely before the fall season
FOX- who the hell knows..

cdharris- We really don't watch enough tv to justify the expanded Suddenlink basic that I have now much less premium channels in HD. My wife watches more than I do but more often than not it will be something on the 4 basic networks listed above (or Discovery/history). I currently have a 42" plasma with the above mentioned LG tuner/upconverting dvd player fed into an Onkyo surround system.....but it's a little overkill except when we rent dvd's for movie night. I'm just a techie nerd at heart so I want to have HD fed into my house regardless of whether or not we watch it..

Abilene may be "technologically challenged" when compared to the larger markets like DFW, but it seems like we are moving forward a little faster than some comparably sized small markets.

"The quickest way to get over your fear of plasma is to actually own *one"- joemama127

post #84 of 1227 Old 06-25-2007, 02:21 PM
adb
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benway47 View Post

via indoor OTA antenna. I get three or four bars on the signal strength meter on a good day. I think it would be better on a roof or tower mount outdoor antenna. KTXS & KTAB is all you will get in HD for now
I also have a new widescreen LCD with internal HD tuner hooked up to Suddenlink cable and pick up KTAB HD on channel 114.1 and all the music channels.

Gettng three out of four bars is fine. Getting more than that will not improve your picture quality. I get half with KTXS and three fourths on KTAB which is all that is needed. As you are aware, with a digital signal, you basically either get it or you don't, so once you are getting the picture added signal strenth doesn't make any difference unless it is on the low end (usually 35 to 40 %) and cutting in and out.
post #85 of 1227 Old 06-26-2007, 05:21 AM

KTAB and KTXS really has more than "some" HD programming. All CBS and ABC shows that are in HD are shown in HD. I have started watching Good Morning America just because it is in HD, and sadly I have watched some of the view. KTXS will mess up sometimes showing GMA and it can be annoying. When they interrupt to give the local weather they go back to GMA and it won't be in HD for awhile.
post #86 of 1227 Old 06-26-2007, 11:40 AM

KTXS can be a little flaky when trying to pull in a strong signal. I had to end up putting up a rooftop antenna to get a consistant signal that I don't have to worry about.

As far as picture quality goes I have had no complaints. It is not up to par with the PQ of KTAB but part of that is the difference in 1080i and 720P formats and part of that is the multicasting. Since however KTXS only broadcasts in 2.1 DD it leaves a little more bandwidth for the PQ. I think picture quality is as good as most compressed HD that we get on Dish.

And T-bone is correct about the HD programming. Almost all of the network shows that are aired in primetime are in HD excluding a few of the reality and news shows. I have read that NBC nightly news is now in HD and CBS is soon to follow. Letterman is in HD and stunning (Danica Patrick was a must see in HD) and Leno is in HD on NBC whenever we start getting that. Our locals will broadcast everything that is fed to them in HD as HD, if they don't forget to "flip the switch" that is. KTAB and KTXS have both been guilty of forgetting.
post #87 of 1227 Old 06-26-2007, 08:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Got my Samsung DTB-H260F today...a quickie review of the unit itself:

It's very small and light...makes my LG seem gargantuan in comparison. The remote is kinda cheap with tiny special function buttons at the bottom..I've used worse though. First thing I did was hook it up to a cheap Radio Shack amplified antenna that I used in Ft Worth to bring in everything I wanted...it did the same here but with greater ease and signal holding than the LG. What I got:

KTXS (ABC) came in clear as a bell and rock steady so far
KTAB (CBS) good quality but not as good as KTXS...may be because they broadcast in 1080i and my plasma is 720p native. Also a couple of brief freeze-ups while watching The Unit and the last part of the show just before it.
CW- total waste of bandwidth and looks just as horrible as it does on analog cable.
Doppler Radar- useful with all the heavy weather in this area I guess..

Basically I am pleased with the Samsung tuner and the channels that I do get (still waiting for NBC)....but the quality doesn't seem to be quite as good as the equivalent network affiliates in DFW, but much better than Suddenlink analog. It's really a shame that the local Fox (in San Angelo??) may never come around...even if they are forced to go digital it doesn't mean that I will automatically get my 24 fix in HD.

post #88 of 1227 Old 06-28-2007, 04:40 PM

I wish KTXS would turn off the radar,unless there is bad weather, during prime time to improve the pq. I also noticed KTAB is back to displaying 32.1 instead of 24.1 on my tv.
post #89 of 1227 Old 06-29-2007, 08:00 AM

I just checked KTAB this morning on 32.1 and was pleased to see a large increase on the signal strength meter. Maybe this indicates they have switched over to the high power transmitter.
post #90 of 1227 Old 06-29-2007, 07:14 PM

I got this e-mail response form the Chief Engineer Glen McCandless regarding KRBC HD:

Thanks for the inquiry. We are progressing on our HD project, however the weather is not very cooperative. Even so, we hope to have both KTAB and KRBC up with full power in High Definition Digital by August 1st. Aagain, weather permitting work on the tower to hang transmission line and antenna. Thanks.
Glen McCandless
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page