Forum Jump: 

post #901 of 1227 Old 03-08-2009, 04:53 PM
adb
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
[quote=TX Champ;15984246]I noticed last night that KXVA 15.1 showed up in my OTA channel list on my DTV HD DVR, so I selected it and it acted like the channel was off the air. I switched inputs to my TV and checked the signal strength for all the local stations and KXVA was there still putting out more power than KRBC which I could recieve on my DVR. So I re-initialized my OAT channels and was then able to receive KXVA over my DTV DVR. Just thought I'd pass that along to you other DTV customers that have either the integrated or external OAT receiver.

Not sure how you accomplished this. I get 15.1 to show up on my channel list and like you I have switched inputs to my TV and used my TV's tuner and have gotten Fox HD (15.1). However when I switch back to the Direct TV receiver even though it shows 15.1 on the local channel list, there is no picture. When I look at the channel list and look at signal strength for 15.1 there is none. After extended conversations with Direct TV engineers they tell me that Fox has to notify Direct TV to make the guide information available so the receiver can see that it is available, pick it up and know where to look for the station. Basically if it is not in the guide the receiver can't see that channel. They also told me that there is a fee to Fox to do this and since Fox is on cable as well as Dish, Fox isn't currently interested in doing this for Direct TV.

It looks to me as though the only way to accomplish this is to call and write Fox and tell them basically that Direct TV customers who have HD DVR's which have OTA capabilities are able to get all of the locals in HD but can't get Fox OTA HD until they give the guide information to *D and I suppose as said earlier actually to "ZAP" which provides the information to *D.

Personally I also have cable so I get Fox HD, however I have several friends that just have *D. and need some help getting Fox

I wonder if mimahon might know of someone to contact?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 1227 Old 03-08-2009, 08:11 PM
Advanced Member

Sorry, Not a clue on this one.

Knowledge is Power. Trust but Verify.
post #903 of 1227 Old 03-08-2009, 10:12 PM

Liked: 10
[quote=adb;15997301]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX Champ View Post

I noticed last night that KXVA 15.1 showed up in my OTA channel list on my DTV HD DVR, so I selected it and it acted like the channel was off the air. I switched inputs to my TV and checked the signal strength for all the local stations and KXVA was there still putting out more power than KRBC which I could recieve on my DVR. So I re-initialized my OAT channels and was then able to receive KXVA over my DTV DVR. Just thought I'd pass that along to you other DTV customers that have either the integrated or external OAT receiver.

Not sure how you accomplished this. I get 15.1 to show up on my channel list and like you I have switched inputs to my TV and used my TV's tuner and have gotten Fox HD (15.1). However when I switch back to the Direct TV receiver even though it shows 15.1 on the local channel list, there is no picture. When I look at the channel list and look at signal strength for 15.1 there is none. After extended conversations with Direct TV engineers they tell me that Fox has to notify Direct TV to make the guide information available so the receiver can see that it is available, pick it up and know where to look for the station. Basically if it is not in the guide the receiver can't see that channel. They also told me that there is a fee to Fox to do this and since Fox is on cable as well as Dish, Fox isn't currently interested in doing this for Direct TV.

It looks to me as though the only way to accomplish this is to call and write Fox and tell them basically that Direct TV customers who have HD DVR's which have OTA capabilities are able to get all of the locals in HD but can't get Fox OTA HD until they give the guide information to *D and I suppose as said earlier actually to "ZAP" which provides the information to *D.

Personally I also have cable so I get Fox HD, however I have several friends that just have *D. and need some help getting Fox

I am a DTV customer and get my locals via OTA. I am currently now receiving KXVA through my receiver and it's in my guide and I can record it like any other channel. You have to re-do your local antenaa setup and it will come in. Zap 2 it now has 15.1 on it's website so we are good now. It's working for me...
post #904 of 1227 Old 03-09-2009, 07:08 AM
adb
AVS Special Member

[quote=abileneguy2005;15999110]
Quote:
Originally Posted by adb View Post

I am a DTV customer and get my locals via OTA. I am currently now receiving KXVA through my receiver and it's in my guide and I can record it like any other channel. You have to re-do your local antenaa setup and it will come in. Zap 2 it now has 15.1 on it's website so we are good now. It's working for me...

I'm glad you are getting it. I have redone my antenna setup at least seven or eight times still with no luck. I also had seven or eight friends redo theirs several times with the same results. I have no problem bringing it in with strong signal readings straight into my TV set or through a DVD so my antenna orientation must be good. We all have HR20 DVR's and all are doing the same thing. It could be we need to force a software download from *D.
post #905 of 1227 Old 03-09-2009, 03:10 PM - Thread Starter

I have 2 DirecTV DVR's both with the optional off-air tuner. These 2 DVR's, and 2 other HD sets, share a roof-top antenna. I have been getting KXVA on the 2 HD sets since it first changed over. This weekend, KXVA showed up in the program guide. I redid the OTA setup for both DVR's for off air and now get KXVA on both DirecTV DVR's. The signal strength seems to vary from 25% to 95%, and there is some macroblocking. Strangely, I am not getting KRBC and KTAB on one of the DVR's but get them okay on the other. Possibly need a booster on the antenna for the further DVR.
post #906 of 1227 Old 03-09-2009, 11:34 PM

Quote:

My receiver is the DTV HR 20 with internal DT broadcast receiver. Here are the steps for what I did. Menu --> Parental, Fav's & Setup --> System Setup --> Sat & Ant --> Antenna Setup --> Initial Setup.

Do not use the either of the other two options i the last step, it will not work. Once I did this I was able to see the broadcast on 15.1. Before, KXVA was in the channel line-up, but when i selected it, I got a black screen.

Good Luck!
post #907 of 1227 Old 03-10-2009, 07:38 AM
adb
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My receiver is the DTV HR 20 with internal DT broadcast receiver. Here are the steps for what I did. Menu --> Parental, Fav's & Setup --> System Setup --> Sat & Ant --> Antenna Setup --> Initial Setup.

Do not use the either of the other two options i the last step, it will not work. Once I did this I was able to see the broadcast on 15.1. Before, KXVA was in the channel line-up, but when i selected it, I got a black screen.

Good Luck!

Thanks for the advice. This is what I have been doing--at least a dozen times now with no success. I am beginning to think that the HR20 receiver may need a stronger signal than it is getting even though I can pick up Fox with the TV tuner or with the DVD tuner.
post #908 of 1227 Old 03-10-2009, 08:48 AM

Liked: 16
I don't have the HR20. Have the vip622 DVR from DishNetwork and its OTA tuner needs a stronger signal than either of my tv's tuners. Don't know if it's just a matter of some tuners are better than others or if all the other things going on in that DVR reciever box causes a little interfierence that has to be overcome.

Anyway, my guess is that, like you suggested, your HR20 needs a stronger signal. I'm something like 10 miles from the KXVA tower with a small rooftop directional antenna pointed right at them with line of sight visual. I just barely pick 'em up on my vip622. So far each time I've watched a program there was a 2-3 sec loss of signal with pixelation once per program. Doesn't happen often enough for me to want to switch to the sat version or buy a bigger antenna but it's a reminder that I'm just barely gettin' them.
post #909 of 1227 Old 03-10-2009, 09:07 AM

Tigepilot, Is the OTA KXVA guide available on your 622 yet? I'm still just getting "digital programming."
post #910 of 1227 Old 03-10-2009, 09:13 AM

Mine no longer says 'digital service' but the guide information that is there is not accurate at all. It's like they're putting info there from the wrong channel but I don't know what wrong channel that will be. To record 24 last night, I had to set it to record 'According to Jim' and 'Everybody Loves Raymond'... at least I think those were the to shows it had in the guide for that time slot. Been like this for over a week now on my DVR.
post #911 of 1227 Old 03-10-2009, 09:21 AM

I have a 612 and a 722. The 722 just says "digital service" and the 612 has guide information but it's wrong. The SD listings through the satellite are correct though. I still get a strong signal, about 88% on the 722 but wish the guide would load.
post #912 of 1227 Old 03-10-2009, 10:46 AM

Quote:

Thanks for the advice. This is what I have been doing--at least a dozen times now with no success. I am beginning to think that the HR20 receiver may need a stronger signal than it is getting even though I can pick up Fox with the TV tuner or with the DVD tuner.

I did note that during the last two episodes of 24. While watching through my HR 20, there was a freeze frame for about 5 seconds then pixelation for about another 5-10 seconds. I switched the TV input to antenna and it was solid. That would indicate to me that my HR20 needs more signal. I have an amp in my attic between the antenna and the splitter for the different rooms, then I have an amplified splitter behind my entertainment center in the den to split between my TV and my HR 20. I may need to look at all this again and come up with a better distribution.

I'm about 12 miles from the tower sites for KTAB/KRBC & KXVA. West of Buffalo Gap Rd and North of FM707.
post #913 of 1227 Old 03-10-2009, 02:31 PM
adb
AVS Special Member

I have just finished moving my attic antenna around and am now getting 95-100% signal strength on KTXS, KRBC and KTAB but nothing on KXVA. I originally had my antenna aimed toward gettng KTXS when their signal was weak but now that is not a problem and on the original setting for the antenna I was only getting 55to 60% for KTAB and KRBC and as I mentioned since I just changed it the signal is now 95 to 100%. However no picture for KXVA. I am getting the guide setting for Fox and it is accurate. It is really puzzling. Getting back to what everyone seems to be saying that the HD DVR's may need a stronger signal. I am also wondering if there stiil isn't something that Fox hasn't done yet or maybe *D. I have been around Direct TV receivers for years as they have progressed and always have been able to reolve their problems but this one has me stumped.
post #914 of 1227 Old 03-11-2009, 07:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I did note that during the last two episodes of 24. While watching through my HR 20, there was a freeze frame for about 5 seconds then pixelation for about another 5-10 seconds. I switched the TV input to antenna and it was solid. That would indicate to me that my HR20 needs more signal. I have an amp in my attic between the antenna and the splitter for the different rooms, then I have an amplified splitter behind my entertainment center in the den to split between my TV and my HR 20. I may need to look at all this again and come up with a better distribution.

I'm about 12 miles from the tower sites for KTAB/KRBC & KXVA. West of Buffalo Gap Rd and North of FM707.

It's possible that you are overdriving and/or introducing too much noise with your amplified splitter. Try running the output of your antenna preamp (bypassing your amplified splitter) straight to your HR20 as a test to see if that works.

post #915 of 1227 Old 03-11-2009, 02:13 PM
adb
AVS Special Member

Next chapter in trying to get a HR20 to pick up 15.1. Still no luck, it is in the guide and listed in the channels but still no picture. I disconnected the HR20 and plugged the antenna into a Sony HD200 receiver that I used a few years ago. Doesn't have to have an active card to get OTA channels. Ran some component cables to the TV and turned it on. One scan and lo and behold 15.1 popped up immediately with a good picture as did KRBC,KTXS and KTAB. It appears that the Direct TV DVR H20 must require a stronger signal, however the signal meter on the Sony HD200 showed a strong signal on 15.1. Somehow I hope that if and when KXVA goes to more power this will all straighten out.
post #916 of 1227 Old 03-11-2009, 07:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, looks like KXVA is back to 480i tonight.....what was that earlier post by someone saying that the HD/Sd switching was automated with KXVA?

edit- this is with Suddenlink, not OTA if that makes any difference

"The quickest way to get over your fear of plasma is to actually own *one"- joemama127

*or 3 :)
post #917 of 1227 Old 03-12-2009, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigepilot View Post

Not to mention the fact that OUR fox doesn't have an analogue version anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmahon View Post

All Fox network stations (and none of the others) use a network splicer that automatically passes the HD straight to the transmitter, so KXVA shouldn't have that problem.

So last night it was the network itself and not KXVA preventing the broadcasting from being HD? My eyes as well as the "recall" button on my tv remote (showed 480i) confirmed that KXVA wasn't HD last night. If Fox no longer has the capability for analog transmission and the switch between SD and HD programming is automated...how does this happen?

"The quickest way to get over your fear of plasma is to actually own *one"- joemama127

post #918 of 1227 Old 03-12-2009, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemama127 View Post

So last night it was the network itself and not KXVA preventing the broadcasting from being HD? My eyes as well as the "recall" button on my tv remote (showed 480i) confirmed that KXVA wasn't HD last night. If Fox no longer has the capability for analog transmission and the switch between SD and HD programming is automated...how does this happen?

I'm not at home to see what's going on personally but they may be working on something or the other. When they first went digital, they were SD only for a week or two before they went HD so despite the fact it's automated, they have the ability to deliver either an SD or an HD signal. Maybe they got their high power transmitter in early and are working on that? Maybe they're working on the the equipment with DishNetwork to get HD uplinked to satellite (only hd station in town not there now). More likely, there's maintenance that needs to be done that has to do with the original install or the first bout of moisture since setting up the new equipment is causing them issues. I'd expect to see things like this over the next few months until they get it smoothed out. It's not like everything with the other three has been perfect.

My comment about them not having analoge anymore was not ment to imply they couldn't do standard definition, just that since they don't have a second transmitted signal like the other three, they'll be watching this one more closely. With the other three, at times it seems as though they treat the digital transmission as 'that other thing we have to do' and don't really pay attention to what's going on... may not be the case but that's what it seems like sometimes.
post #919 of 1227 Old 03-12-2009, 04:54 PM
adb
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemama127 View Post

It is a HD channel but the source material for the broadcast was just SD. As you know when you see the black bars on the sides that indicates a HD channel with the broadcast material in SD. Of course you can have your format set to fill the screen. When I checked it last night the broadcast itself showed to be HD.
post #920 of 1227 Old 03-12-2009, 05:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It is a HD channel but the source material for the broadcast was just SD. As you know when you see the black bars on the sides that indicates a HD channel with the broadcast material in SD. Of course you can have your format set to fill the screen. When I checked it last night the broadcast itself showed to be HD.

I'm well aware that digital doesn't automatically mean HD....but American Idol is usually shown in HD and it wasn't last night. I'm on Suddenlink cable (81.2 QAM) and not getting it OTA if that makes a difference..

post #921 of 1227 Old 03-12-2009, 07:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Looks like KXVA is back to HD (720p) complete with the partial blue Fox logo in the corner. I guess they were working on something yesterday..

post #922 of 1227 Old 03-13-2009, 08:42 AM

Well, I had a truly unpleasant experience with DishNetwork yesterday and today. I finally called to get my side dish repointed to receive local HD channels. I was told, as before, that there would be a charge or I would have to sign a new 24 month commitment. I asked to speak to a supervisor. She finally relented, but acted like she was doing me a big favor by waiving the $60 fee. Got the appointment set up to repoint the dish. Then this morning I get up and I have no local channels -- including the guide information for my OTA locals. I called and was on the phone for 30-40 minutes with them before this was fixed. The first person wanted me to wait until they could get a technician out. I explained that they did something yesterday when they put in the order for the local channels. After being transferred, sure enough it was determined that when the entered the work order for my repoint they also indicated that I was to get new local channel service so the system removed my current service. This order was placed by a "supervisor." If you have a repoint, beware of this.
post #923 of 1227 Old 03-13-2009, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba72 View Post

Well, I had a truly unpleasant experience with DishNetwork yesterday and today. I finally called to get my side dish repointed to receive local HD channels. I was told, as before, that there would be a charge or I would have to sign a new 24 month commitment. I asked to speak to a supervisor. She finally relented, but acted like she was doing me a big favor by waiving the $60 fee. Got the appointment set up to repoint the dish. Then this morning I get up and I have no local channels -- including the guide information for my OTA locals. I called and was on the phone for 30-40 minutes with them before this was fixed. The first person wanted me to wait until they could get a technician out. I explained that they did something yesterday when they put in the order for the local channels. After being transferred, sure enough it was determined that when the entered the work order for my repoint they also indicated that I was to get new local channel service so the system removed my current service. This order was placed by a "supervisor." If you have a repoint, beware of this.

You're describing an issue that has been discussed at length over at satelliteguys. I can't remember when it started happening but there was a point that whenever someone asked to schedule a repoint to get HD locals, Dishnetwork had to cancel your current local subsription to be able to schedule someone to go out to repoint your dish. At least that's what the technicians were telling people when they complained. The result was that you'd have to live without locals until the technician came out. After a while it became obvious that it was not a universal problem... probably csr's that didn't know how to enter it in the system the right way. Anyway, when I scheduled my repoint, it didn't happen to me.

Regarding having to pay for the repoint or sign a new contract... they were dead wrong there. They only do that if they have to add a new dish to your house and it sounds like they don't with you. Even then, I think you'd have an argument since presumably you're already paying for locals and HD... they're the ones that put it on a different satellite.

The only problem they gave me (other than the dumb-ass installer that came to the house) was when the csr found out that I was getting locals OTA, she didn't want to do the repoint because she didn't think it was necessary. I had to be pretty assertive to get her to do it.

It really is amazing how widespread the missinformation and lack of knowledge the people that actually work in this industry have. When I first upgraded to HD back in Sept '07 the installer told me that nobody really got HD in Abilene... they thought they did but it really wasn't. I told him that we had 3 locals in HD at that time and he laughed at me. I turned the TV to NBC's morning news show off of my antenna I had already hooked up to the TV and he quit laughing.

If you're going to deal with a dish rep/tech, it helps to spend a little time over at satelliteguys and this forum. It'll help you push them in the right direction and get what you want with less problems.

Oh, and when the installer comes out, make sure he points your 148 dish to 61.5 and not 129 like my installer did (I wasn't home and my wife doesn't know this stuff at all). Typical Dish installer thought it made sense to have two dishes pointed at the 129 location I guess. Took numerous calls over the course of 2 or 3 days to Dish to sort that out.
post #924 of 1227 Old 03-13-2009, 12:23 PM

As tigepilot said there are several threads about this on satelliteguys. I ran into the same problems when I called Dish although I never lost my SD locals. I finally repointed my wing dish myself and cancelled the service call. The Abilene SD locals are still on 129 ( and probably on 148) while the HD signal is on 61.5.
post #925 of 1227 Old 03-13-2009, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ejohn60 View Post

As tigepilot said there are several threads about this on satelliteguys. I ran into the same problems when I called Dish although I never lost my SD locals. I finally repointed my wing dish myself and cancelled the service call. The Abilene SD locals are still on 129 ( and probably on 148) while the HD signal is on 61.5.

Since I did my repoint, they also have the sd locals at 61.5 now. A friend recently did a 'new' install and has a single dish that says 'Turbo HD' on it pointed at 61.5 and as Abilene local SD and HD as well as everything else.
post #926 of 1227 Old 03-14-2009, 09:09 AM

I can receive KXVA 15.1 OTA on my Sony HDTV as expected, but I get "No TV Signal" from within Window Media Center, which is attached to the same antenna. According to a thread on ftatalk it is probably an encoding error. I called KXVA and they claim "not our problem", of course. In order to make progress I need a 10 second recording of the complete transport stream from 15.1. I can't figure out how to record one easily given my hardware. Can anyone send me a short .ts recording of KXVA?

Thanks, Dwayne
post #927 of 1227 Old 03-14-2009, 06:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtowell View Post

I can receive KXVA 15.1 OTA on my Sony HDTV as expected, but I get "No TV Signal" from within Window Media Center, which is attached to the same antenna. According to a thread on ftatalk it is probably an encoding error. I called KXVA and they claim "not our problem", of course. In order to make progress I need a 10 second recording of the complete transport stream from 15.1. I can't figure out how to record one easily given my hardware. Can anyone send me a short .ts recording of KXVA?

Thanks, Dwayne

I could be mistaken, but I believe Windows Media Center will only let you tune in channels listed in their online database. You need to contact their customer support and tell them to update the database.

post #928 of 1227 Old 03-15-2009, 10:13 AM

This week I called DirecTV and asked them to remove the LA/NYC Fox affiliates. While I am grateful to now get KXVA I will miss hearing about Russian doctors and their wives and Pileups near the Holland Tunnel.

For those still not able to get KXVA over the air, I think there signal is only at partial strength, meaning you can only get it if you live in or really close to Abilene.
post #929 of 1227 Old 03-15-2009, 10:20 AM

I have normally been getting KXVA OTA in the 65-70% range. The last couple days I'ved noticed staying around the 92% range. Those that haven't been able to get it might ought to try again.
post #930 of 1227 Old 03-15-2009, 02:11 PM
adb
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigepilot View Post

I have normally been getting KXVA OTA in the 65-70% range. The last couple days I'ved noticed staying around the 92% range. Those that haven't been able to get it might ought to try again.

I had an opportunity last week to talk to the chief engineer for Fox Abilene and Fox San Angelo. Very interesting. He said that they found and bought a small used low powered HD transmitter and brought it in and installed it and the next day had it running by that afternoon, but it is a weak transmitter and difficult for some folks to get. He told me that they have ordered a much larger unit and it will take them some time to built platforms to hold that equipment. Scheduled deliver for that transmitter is June 12th. It will have about four times more power than the present one and should enable those having a problem getting Abilene Fox to receive it much more easily. He said that after it is installed and running they plan to petition the FCC to grant them the authority to purchase and install a very powerful transmitter which will be much stronger than the one they will install June 12 and of course will have a much greater range. He said that will take a few months. Really a very nice fellow to talk to.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page