Abilene, TX - HDTV - Page 33 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #961 of 1227 Old 04-05-2009, 10:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm just happy to have a FOX HD signal at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #962 of 1227 Old 04-11-2009, 04:27 PM

I need help. I have searched all day for information on how to hook up the converter boxes so I can watch one channel and record another one VCR. I even watch a video in utube. Any help would be appreciated. I have 2 boxes that are the dtvpal plus. Should I use them or should I use 2 different brands?
Thanks
post #963 of 1227 Old 04-11-2009, 05:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by this stinks View Post

I need help. I have searched all day for information on how to hook up the converter boxes so I can watch one channel and record another one VCR. I even watch a video in utube. Any help would be appreciated. I have 2 boxes that are the dtvpal plus. Should I use them or should I use 2 different brands?
Thanks

You must use a separate converter box for the VCR, preset it to the channel on which the program to be recorded will be broadcast, and set the VCR to record on the correct channel that the converter box's output is on.
post #964 of 1227 Old 04-11-2009, 06:54 PM

I did know that I need a separate box for the VCR. But Can it be the same brand as the one for the TV. One is a dtv pal and one is a dtv pal plus. I just got finished rehooking up everything, but it still will not record anything. I followed the instructions posted on the FCC website. Maybe you can help again
Thanks
post #965 of 1227 Old 04-12-2009, 05:54 AM
adb
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by this stinks View Post

I did know that I need a separate box for the VCR. But Can it be the same brand as the one for the TV. One is a dtv pal and one is a dtv pal plus. I just got finished rehooking up everything, but it still will not record anything. I followed the instructions posted on the FCC website. Maybe you can help again
Thanks

Post this here for help. Good luck

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=25
post #966 of 1227 Old 04-15-2009, 01:49 PM

Well, I can't see for myself just yet, but the uplink report below shows that KXVA-HD is now available on Dish Network. Maybe now they will get the OTA guide data right............(not).

http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-net...4-changes.html
post #967 of 1227 Old 04-15-2009, 01:54 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by shy_guy View Post

Well, I can't see for myself just yet, but the uplink report below shows that KXVA-HD is now available on Dish Network. Maybe now they will get the OTA guide data right............(not).

http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-net...4-changes.html

Yup, it shows up as an HD channel now in the guide but you can't tell by programming content at the moment. If you can't see it, run a check switch by pressing menu 6-1-1 and then select the check switch option. Then exit when done and wait for it to download. I'm doing that now to see if the guide will update. At the moment, all I got was KXVA HD in the guide info for the sat version... no program content info.
post #968 of 1227 Old 04-15-2009, 02:04 PM

Nope, update complete and guide data still not there for either HD version of KXVA

15-1 OTA shows guide data but incorrect as has been the case
15-0 HD shows KXVA HD in the guide data itself.
15-0 SD shows the correct guide data.
post #969 of 1227 Old 04-23-2009, 11:28 AM

So has anyone gotten on this "list" that the Suddenlink guy spoke of? I've talked to them and they no nothing of this. I'd like to get my digital channels back
post #970 of 1227 Old 04-23-2009, 12:32 PM

Yes, i agree, why the heck do we need a list for anyways?! i want my digital channels back. this is crap.
post #971 of 1227 Old 04-23-2009, 08:14 PM

Just noticed that fox channel 15 on Dish is giving a listing for family guy then everybody loves raymond. After that it goes back to saying kxva hd. Maybe it is just needing an update now. More to come.
post #972 of 1227 Old 04-24-2009, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceriff View Post

Just noticed that fox channel 15 on Dish is giving a listing for family guy then everybody loves raymond. After that it goes back to saying kxva hd. Maybe it is just needing an update now. More to come.

Yea, guide data is up for the Dish feed. If you still don't have all of it, you need to do a check switch to download the full data. I had to do that last night.

Now if they would only fix the OTA data......
post #973 of 1227 Old 04-24-2009, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shy_guy View Post

Yea, guide data is up for the Dish feed. If you still don't have all of it, you need to do a check switch to download the full data. I had to do that last night.

Now if they would only fix the OTA data......

I'm away from home so I can't try this but you may try deleting the channel and doing a channel scan to add it back. When I originally only had 'Digital Service' in the guide for the OTA, I had to do that before it started showing the incorrect guide stuff. It may take that kind of action again to force the unit to see it correctly... it's worth a try.
post #974 of 1227 Old 04-25-2009, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigepilot View Post

I'm away from home so I can't try this but you may try deleting the channel and doing a channel scan to add it back. When I originally only had 'Digital Service' in the guide for the OTA, I had to do that before it started showing the incorrect guide stuff. It may take that kind of action again to force the unit to see it correctly... it's worth a try.

Thanks for trying to help, but I tried that right after I did the check switch to get the Dish feed data. No good. Dishquality is now ignoring my e-mails too. I guess they figure giving us a compressed Dish feed will passify us. Not me. I am happier, but not yet satisfied.
post #975 of 1227 Old 04-25-2009, 09:43 AM

Well darn. They're ignoring my emails too.
post #976 of 1227 Old 04-28-2009, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamoji View Post

Yes, i agree, why the heck do we need a list for anyways?! i want my digital channels back. this is crap.

Yeah, something doesn't quite seem right with that...we had it before and now suddenly it's taken away and "it's very difficult" to get it back? They wouldn't be giving digital duplicates back to basic/expanded customers on a per-subscriber basis if there wasn't something they were trying to keep us from having without paying for. I really can't think of what that would be...all we had before was simply digital duplicates of the channels we already pay for...and that's all we really want anyway.

"The quickest way to get over your fear of plasma is to actually own *one"- joemama127

*or 3 :)
post #977 of 1227 Old 04-29-2009, 06:34 AM

I finally got a response from Dish network about the OTA guide data on KXVA. Dish says that KXVA does not answer thier e-mails, so it is my responsibility now to try to contact KXVA. I don't understand that. I am not KXVA's customer. Why should I have to do the work for Dish? It would be like McDonald's telling a customer to complain to thier meat supplier because they were unhappy with the product. I know now that Dish does not intend to fix this issue. They have my money, but they do not intend to deliver what was promised. I realize this is a minor issue, but it's a sad example of how big companies treat customers these days.
post #978 of 1227 Old 04-29-2009, 06:44 AM

I got the same reply:

I talk to the department in charge of all OTA issues. I have been told that KXVA has not replied to any of our emails. Unfortunately we have no control over whether or not the station will cooperate with our requests. I was told to please have you contact KXVA concerning this issue. I do apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

Which I then replied as:

Now that just doesn't make any sense. You have the correct EPG data on the satellite version of the channels. All you have to do is copy it to the over the air... it's the same info. I just can't use the over the air for recurring timers with the way you have it now.

Then they replied:

I know this sounds kind of strange to you. By customers contacting KXVA this may give KXVA the boost to contact DISH Network. Unfortunately DISH Network cannot force them to give us the information we need to provide OTA Guide data to you. Again I apologize. I will keep asking if we are still trying to contact KXVA.

Wich I then replied as:

No, that doesn't seem strange at all. What seems strange is that it is apparent that you DO have the information you need, yet you are not using it. KXVA over the air program data is the same as their satellite counterparts. The satellite counterparts have the correct EPG. For example, KXVA HD (which I get from the 61.5 location) and KXVA SD (which I get from the 129 location) transmit the same program content, albeit more compressed. The satellite versions have the correct EPG and the same EPG that should be shown for the KXVA over the air version.

Why not just try to pass the buck onto Tribune? I know that's where you get your EPG data. Maybe it's because they would tell me that the problem lies with Dish Network. After all, DirecTV also uses Tribune and their subscribers get correct EPG on KXVA over the air.

I don't expect a responce now since I bet they took the last bit a bit rude but since they pretty much decided they weren't going to fix it I don't really care if I come off as rude. I did send KXVA a note via their 'contact us' form on the website. I know full well that will make no difference though.
post #979 of 1227 Old 05-05-2009, 06:03 PM

Hello all,

As most of you probably know, the DTV broadcast antenna array for both stations was damaged during a January ice storm. Both stations have been broadcasting at a lower power since then.

The necessary parts had to be custom-built, and we just got them this week. However, to repair the array and get back up to full power, BOTH STATIONS DIGITAL TRANSMITTERS WILL BE SHUT OFF AT 8AM WEDNESDAY.

Our engineers are planning to be finished by Friday, but it could take more or less time....they just won't know until the tower climbers get up there.

Here's the "official" statement from BigCountryHomepage.com:

VIEWER ALERT

The Digital Broadcast signals of both KTAB TV and KRBC TV will be off the air for up to 48 hours starting at 8am on Wednesday, May 6th. During this time you will not be able to receive digital programming over the air.

The outage is necessary as work crews make repairs to the broadcast antenna which serves both stations.

A problem with an antenna component forced both stations to operate at less than full power since January. This has caused reception problems in several areas of the Big Country.

Crews must make several tower climbs to make the repairs. It is possible the work may take less time, or even more time to complete, so check back for updates.

Will the outage affect me if I have cable or satellite TV?

This outage will not affect customers of Suddenlink Cable.

Subscribers to the normal local channels on Dish Network satellite TV are not affected, however Dish Network will not be able to provide HD programming during this outage.

Stations management apologizes for the loss of the digital signal for such a long time, but the outage is necessary to complete repairs to bring both stations back up to full power.

If your cable company utilizes our digital signals you will not be able to receive our stations, unless they switch back to an analog feed.

KTAB and KRBC will end analog broadcasts next Tuesday, May 12th during the 6pm hour.
post #980 of 1227 Old 05-05-2009, 07:02 PM

WOW, can you not at least wait until the major seasonal shows are over... we're damn near there!

I know you have to do this but the timing is REALLY bad. It's like the equipment came in and you said, 'let's get'r done', without thinking about the best way to do it.
post #981 of 1227 Old 05-06-2009, 03:29 AM

Coming from someone who hasn't had KRBC or a watchable KTAB since January, I'm happy they are finally getting something done, and the sooner the better. I would like to know if the new digital transmitters are now going to the top of the tower though. Seems the damage happened as a result of those transmitters being side mounted in a lower position where they were hit by falling ice. It would be stupid to risk repeating the damage to those digital transmitters by, once again side mounting them under a soon to be obsolete analog stick. Since the analog is set to go off air the 12th, I assume the new transmitters are going to take top position.
post #982 of 1227 Old 05-06-2009, 08:22 AM

I know this is a HUGE inconvenience for ya'll who rely on our ota dtv signals, but I'm not in upper management and don't make those decisions.

And yes, this is the middle of May sweeps, but we're already committed to shutting off the analog transmitters on May 12. I wasn't a part of that decision, either.

So for the next couple of days, the analog signals are your only hope.

As far as the digital antenna array, there are no current plans to remove the old analog stick and move the digital antenna to the top of the tower. Why? Money. But station management has been pleased with the coverage performance of the digital signals (when they're at 100%) with the digital stick side-mounted. Someday it might happen, but not this year, that's for sure.

And it turns out the damage to the antenna wasn't just from falling ice as originally thought; I'm not sure of the specifics, but it would have failed eventually, anyway. That's why we had to wait for months for a new custom part to be fabricated.

I'll try to answer any other questions that I can, but again, I apologize for any inconvenience.
post #983 of 1227 Old 05-06-2009, 04:20 PM

I look forward to your posts, it's nice to have someone on the inside with some information on what's going on. I think I can confidently speak for all here, that we greatly appreciate any info you can bring us from behind the scenes. Thanks.
post #984 of 1227 Old 05-09-2009, 11:22 AM

Snyder Suddenlink customer. Previously had received networks (nbc/cbs/fox/abc/kera/espn) in HD unscrambled QAM. Starting about 2 weeks ago they're now scrambled (not encrypted). Anyone else see this? Is this permanent?
post #985 of 1227 Old 05-10-2009, 05:01 AM
adb
AVS Special Member

Just wondered how the reception is for KRBC and KTAB for those whose signal was marginal or non existent since they supposedly are back to full strength. For me KRBC is still 100% but KTAB has gone from 98 to 100% down to 75 to 80%.
post #986 of 1227 Old 05-10-2009, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawgGuy View Post

Snyder Suddenlink customer. Previously had received networks (nbc/cbs/fox/abc/kera/espn) in HD unscrambled QAM. Starting about 2 weeks ago they're now scrambled (not encrypted). Anyone else see this? Is this permanent?

Oddly enough, within hours after the above post the stations started to come in clear. Weird, but good.
post #987 of 1227 Old 05-11-2009, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Oddly enough, within hours after the above post the stations started to come in clear. Weird, but good.

What channel (QAM) is ESPN coming in on? I know a while back I briefly got ESPN2 in HD but I didn't see either come up on my last scan a couple weeks ago.

"The quickest way to get over your fear of plasma is to actually own *one"- joemama127

post #988 of 1227 Old 05-11-2009, 09:42 AM
adb
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemama127 View Post

What channel (QAM) is ESPN coming in on? I know a while back I briefly got ESPN2 in HD but I didn't see either come up on my last scan a couple weeks ago.

For me it is 68.1 on cable.
post #989 of 1227 Old 05-11-2009, 02:44 PM

Same here - 68.1 cable.
post #990 of 1227 Old 05-11-2009, 07:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Same here - 68.1 cable.

Found it...although I had to tune it manually since a scan didn't pick it up. I may be cynical, but I suspect Suddenlink put this here to get us used to ESPN HD and then will yank the chain just in time for the first MNF game in HD next season. Just a gentle nudge for those holding out renting a HD box..

edit- of course I suspect only a small percentage of basic cable users know their tv has a QAM tuner (not all HDTV's do) and an even smaller percentage would know how to use it or even care to try.

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page