adb
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-bone2006 View Post

I got this e-mail response form the Chief Engineer Glen McCandless regarding KRBC HD:

Thanks for the inquiry. We are progressing on our HD project, however the weather is not very cooperative. Even so, we hope to have both KTAB and KRBC up with full power in High Definition Digital by August 1st. Aagain, weather permitting work on the tower to hang transmission line and antenna. Thanks.
Glen McCandless

That is certainly good news.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 1227 Old 07-05-2007, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Looks like this thread will be dead until August..then we can come here and share our NBC experiences. (or lack thereof if it keeps raining daily) Btw...for those who have Suddenlink cable and a QAM tuner...it's practically useless in this town. Numerous scans with my new Samsung DTB-H206F as well as my old LG 3510A only tunes in all the music channels (which is useful I guess) and then the local CBS affiliate which doesn't look as good as OTA. QAM is definitely not a "must have" feature in this town.

"The quickest way to get over your fear of plasma is to actually own *one"- joemama127

*or 3 :)
post #93 of 1227 Old 07-06-2007, 05:21 AM

Abilene, as I am sure you know, is slow to adapt to new tecnology. It wasn't too long ago we finally got a cable system upgrade. I hope when KRBC goes HD they do a better job than KTXS. Good morning america is hard to watch because they often they forget to "flip the switch" and you end up watching most of the news in sd. Especially after a weather update. I know the KTXS engineer is tired of getting e-mails from me.
post #94 of 1227 Old 07-06-2007, 06:38 AM

Joemama you are correct that a QAM tuner is not needed currently here in Abilene. KTAB is the only local HD station Suddenlink broadcasts. For some reason KTXS has not seen it fit to push for them to carry their signal. I belive that once KRBC goes HD then they will be added to Suddenlink also since they are under the same ownership as KTAB so that should add one more channel that your QAM tuner can pick up.

Yes Abilene is behind the curve in adopting new techs most of the time but really we are pretty lucky as far as HD goes (or will be when KRBC goes HD). If you take a look at markets that are our size and even some that are larger some of those don't even have what we have now.

If we could just get FOX HD up sometime in the near future than I don't think there is much more we could ask for. It would be nice to get the HD PBS feed but that is unlikely whoever your carrier is.
post #95 of 1227 Old 07-06-2007, 10:52 AM
adb
AVS Special Member

I have been told (don't know whether it is true) that Suddenlink is pretty well out of bandwith right now and that is one of the problems in getting KTXS on cable.
post #96 of 1227 Old 07-06-2007, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprint67 View Post

Joemama you are correct that a QAM tuner is not needed currently here in Abilene. KTAB is the only local HD station Suddenlink broadcasts. For some reason KTXS has not seen it fit to push for them to carry their signal. I belive that once KRBC goes HD then they will be added to Suddenlink also since they are under the same ownership as KTAB so that should add one more channel that your QAM tuner can pick up.

Yes Abilene is behind the curve in adopting new techs most of the time but really we are pretty lucky as far as HD goes (or will be when KRBC goes HD). If you take a look at markets that are our size and even some that are larger some of those don't even have what we have now.

If we could just get FOX HD up sometime in the near future than I don't think there is much more we could ask for. It would be nice to get the HD PBS feed but that is unlikely whoever your carrier is.

When I was living in DFW I got spoiled getting all 4 major networks plus PBS, Discovery HD, TNT-HD and then the usual assortment of music/shopping channels with QAM.

Of course you are right..there are larger markets in the country that don't yet have what we get so far but I fear that our local Fox affiliate will never broadcast HD even when they are forced to go digital. On the other hand...if there is one network that falls behind I'm glad it's Fox...I don't watch American Idol and 24 was starting to get stale last season.

"The quickest way to get over your fear of plasma is to actually own *one"- joemama127

post #97 of 1227 Old 07-08-2007, 10:36 AM

i ran across this forum about a month ago, when i learned that you could catch HD through direct cable.
anyways, i just read something about NBC and august 1st. well, this morning, i was watching wimbledon on channel 112.1. so they are on the air. i get 114.2 as CBS. 114.1 is something but i have no idea what, and the only way i catch an ABC signal is OTA antenna. so that covers all the channels except FOX. which i have read posts that they do not really care about or in a hurry to convert their signal, so enjoy you NBC people.
post #98 of 1227 Old 07-09-2007, 08:30 AM

I did a channel scan yesterday after I read the last post and I still have nothing from NBC. Perhaps they are providing the signal to Suddenlink and don' thave their tower up yet, but I didn't think this was possible. I was under the impression that cable companies receive their signal from OTA and rebroadcast it. Maybe I am wrong on that point though.

So back to the point I still am waiting on KRBC. Can anyone else confirm reception?
post #99 of 1227 Old 07-09-2007, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adb View Post

I have been told (don't know whether it is true) that Suddenlink is pretty well out of bandwith right now and that is one of the problems in getting KTXS on cable.

If this is true then that will pose a problem for KRBC and you can forget about them ever adding ESPN2 HD which is why they were not even a option in my search for a HD provider.
post #100 of 1227 Old 07-09-2007, 01:28 PM
adb
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If this is true then that will pose a problem for KRBC and you can forget about them ever adding ESPN2 HD which is why they were not even a option in my search for a HD provider.

Well they can always spread out bandwith a little more and add an additional channel which could put a new meaning to " HD Lite". Guess we could call it HD Lite-Lite.
post #101 of 1227 Old 07-09-2007, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well they can always spread out bandwith a little more and add an additional channel which could put a new meaning to " HD Lite". Guess we could call it HD Lite-Lite.

I can think of about 20-25 useless channels they could cull from their lineup to free up bandwidth...of course a few of those are probably favorites of people who would scream bloody murder.

edit- I also can't get KRBC with a new OTA scan...mamoji are you sure what you are seeing isn't just the analog signal?

post #102 of 1227 Old 07-10-2007, 08:26 AM

sorry about that, i should have been more clear. I do have suddenlink cable, and when i did the scan, which was early in the morning, krbc/nbc was in HD. i am 100% positive that 112.1 was nbc and it was in HD, thru suddenlink. OTA i can only catch ktxs, and that signal fades away quickly when that S 1st / N 1st train runs by.
post #103 of 1227 Old 07-10-2007, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamoji View Post

sorry about that, i should have been more clear. I do have suddenlink cable, and when i did the scan, which was early in the morning, krbc/nbc was in HD. i am 100% positive that 112.1 was nbc and it was in HD, thru suddenlink. OTA i can only catch ktxs, and that signal fades away quickly when that S 1st / N 1st train runs by.

Ahh..I see you did a QAM scan on Suddenlink then. I also have Suddenlink (expanded basic) but when I did my last QAM scan a couple weeks ago all I got was KTAB (CBS) a useless "On Demand" preview channel and then all the music channels which I don't care about. I guess the reason why we are confused is because the general consensus is that cable companies get local programming OTA and then rebroadcast it through cable....which makes it hard to understand why nobody can pick up the KRBC digital signal by antenna if it is indeed floating out there..

post #104 of 1227 Old 07-10-2007, 12:31 PM

I got an email from KRBC/KTAB engineer and KRBC is still not braodcasting in HD as of yesterday. He said plans were to have a Full Power HD signal up in 2-3 weeks and this is of course depending on the weather. Surely he would have mentioned that they can now be seen on Suddenlink in HD since my question did not include OTA influence.

BTW, Wimbeldon was not in HD although it was in 16x9 format, it was still in SD. This still does not explain how you were able to see a 16x9 telecast on an analog station though. Watched a bit of it on ESPNHD on the 4th and it was 16x9 SD.
post #105 of 1227 Old 07-10-2007, 06:41 PM
adb
AVS Special Member

Quote:

BTW, Wimbeldon was not in HD although it was in 16x9 format, it was still in SD. This still does not explain how you were able to see a 16x9 telecast on an analog station though. Watched a bit of it on ESPNHD on the 4th and it was 16x9 SD.

There are several good explanations of what you were watching in the HDTV Programing Thread.
post #106 of 1227 Old 07-11-2007, 11:30 AM

Quote:

There are several good explanations of what you were watching in the HDTV Programing Thread.

I know exactly what I was watching on ESPNHD...It was a 16x9 SD broadcast. Apparently the same thing that NBC HD showed on Sunday (which I did not watch any of) according to the thread which you pointed out. Thread: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=865088 Post # 134

My question is how could mamoji have seen a 16x9 SD broadcast on our local NBC station (KRBC) when they have said that they are not broadcasting HD yet? Unless it was the actually analog station with a 16x9 letterboxed broadcast like they do for all there primetime shows.
post #107 of 1227 Old 07-11-2007, 04:19 PM

wimbledon looked pretty much HD to me. i know the CW 12.2 airs with an SD signal, and on my Samsung DLP bigscreen, it displays the type of signal being shown. when i go to 112.1 it said HD, like the 5:30 NBC nighlty news. probably over the weekend they will show some sporting event and will come in HD. The display said HD, but Sprint, you could be correct as well, but from what the CW looks like and what 112.1 looks like, there's a difference. now i know in the evening, Letterman on 114.2 comes in HD, while Leno on 112.1 shows in a non-hd format, i guess that is the SD signal(?).
all i wanted to say was that i catch 114.2 CBS & 112.1 NBC through my suddenlink, and 12.1, 12.2, 12.3 with my antenna. all supposedly HD channels.
post #108 of 1227 Old 07-13-2007, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

mamoji-
The CW is not a good station to compare with others...to me it looks worse than the typical SD station. I guess it's possible that KRBC was feeding Suddenlink digital but it is still strange that nobody can grab the signal OTA. Well..after about a weeklong break from the rain (I'm not really complaining...we live on the edge of a desert ) it's back again today so I wonder if that will affect the Aug 1st target date..

post #109 of 1227 Old 08-01-2007, 01:57 PM
adb
AVS Special Member

Just wondering if anyone has any update on KRBC?
post #110 of 1227 Old 08-01-2007, 04:54 PM

I am also waiting for some response.
post #111 of 1227 Old 08-02-2007, 11:07 AM

Nothing OTA as of Tuesday and with all this rain I would suspect we are at least a week or two out.

I don't mind much right now but come the 1st of September and the start of football season, not to mention Heroes, I sure will.
post #112 of 1227 Old 08-02-2007, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, just did a new scan with my Samsung DTB-H206F and didn't come up with KRBC and actually lost CBS...anyone else having issues with KTAB? I'm sure the recent monsoons are to blame..

post #113 of 1227 Old 08-06-2007, 03:33 PM

I have an HDHomeRun, one tuner hooked up to suddenlink and one to antenna - and I can confirm that KRBC is appearing on Suddenlink 112.1, but is not showing up in an OTA scan.
post #114 of 1227 Old 08-06-2007, 09:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nnnnnnnn View Post

I have an HDHomeRun, one tuner hooked up to suddenlink and one to antenna - and I can confirm that KRBC is appearing on Suddenlink 112.1, but is not showing up in an OTA scan.

That is just too weird....is Suddenlink getting some direct feed that isn't being broadcast? I mean..are you sure it's digital you're seeing...I would do a QAM scan myself but I don't have cable running to my tuner at the moment and I don't feel like digging around behind my entertainment center.

post #115 of 1227 Old 08-07-2007, 09:29 AM

Am I sure it's digital? It's an HDHomeRun -- it doesn't pick up analog signals, and in fact it doesn't pick up SD.

If you want a wild guess, perhaps KRBC would feed their HD stream to Suddenlink and not broadcast it OTA if (a) they already have the deal in place with Suddenlink and (b) the OTA transmitter isn't up and running yet.

I couldn't begin to speculate why they wouldn't advertise it, unless they've just decided to hype it all at once.
post #116 of 1227 Old 08-07-2007, 04:33 PM

This is strange but perhaps you are right that Suddenlink is not using an OTA signal from KRBC. I was under the impression (as are others) that cable companies get their programming from the OTA transmission.

Either way this is an easy enough question to get answered by emailing KRBC's engineer which is usually quick to respond.
post #117 of 1227 Old 08-07-2007, 04:43 PM

I've heard people mention that too, although I did not get the impression that pulling the OTA and re-feeding it to QAM was the conventional solution, but rather something this particular Suddenlink outfit had chosen to do.

After all, they can't possibly being using that same two-step method to deliver the SD feeds of the local stations -- I mean, clearly they get SD KRBC et al. through some other means.
post #118 of 1227 Old 08-07-2007, 06:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

This is strange but perhaps you are right that Suddenlink is not using an OTA signal from KRBC. I was under the impression (as are others) that cable companies get their programming from the OTA transmission.

Either way this is an easy enough question to get answered by emailing KRBC's engineer which is usually quick to respond.

Let us know what the engineer says...I really hope Suddenlink hasn't found a way to force people to pay for HD.

post #119 of 1227 Old 08-10-2007, 07:23 AM

thanks nnnnnnn, for a while there, i was starting to think no one believed me....
post #120 of 1227 Old 08-10-2007, 08:08 AM - Thread Starter

I don't get cable so I haven't watched KRBC since the tower fell down in January. I only use the digital tuners in my DirecTV receivers and so I am only watching KTAB and KTXS locally. I guess they don't think my viewing (and others in my situation) is important enough to hurry up the equipment installation.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page