post #121 of 1226 Old 08-10-2007, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamoji View Post

thanks nnnnnnn, for a while there, i was starting to think no one believed me....

I'm a believer now since I did a QAM scan yesterday and did indeed find KRBC @112.1 and it shows to be "1080i HD" on my tuner even though the quality is horrible compared to KTAB. Since you have Suddenlink, do you know the numbers to punch in for KTXS/ABC? I couldn't find it in my scan..

edit- It's still fishy that Suddenlink is getting KRBC digital yet they aren't broadcasting...if much more time passes with no OTA signal then I'll start to get conspiracy theories running through my brain.

"The quickest way to get over your fear of plasma is to actually own *one"- joemama127

*or 3 :)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 1226 Old 08-10-2007, 08:21 AM

Near as I can tell, Suddenlink does not carry KTXS, just KTAB and KRBC (well, plus the encrypted junk, PPV junk, and elevator music megabundle junk).
post #123 of 1226 Old 08-10-2007, 08:45 AM

I am speechless, I am without speech. I have rabbit ears and I have been doing a scan every morning since Aug. 1st when I get home hoping to see KRBC-HD. I don't understand how sudden-stink can get it and we can't. I wonder if it KRBC HD is broadcasting low power right now while they are "buring in" the digital transmitter.
post #124 of 1226 Old 08-10-2007, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nnnnnnnn View Post

Near as I can tell, Suddenlink does not carry KTXS, just KTAB and KRBC (well, plus the encrypted junk, PPV junk, and elevator music megabundle junk).

This just gets more and more puzzling....KTXS broadcasts digital OTA but suddenlink doesn't carry it, and then KRBC does just the opposite. I heard rumors that the local affiliates were trying to get money from Cox/Suddenlink a while back and I wonder if this has anything to do with it..

"The quickest way to get over your fear of plasma is to actually own *one"- joemama127

post #125 of 1226 Old 08-10-2007, 01:44 PM

Ha, thats hilarious, thats so true joemama, back-asswards abilene stations aren't running on the same page. i wish KTXS would show up on cable, but its no where to be found, i still have to have a pair of bunny ears on my tv just for that channel.
however, i will enjoy watching golf tomorrow on cbs in hd!
post #126 of 1226 Old 08-10-2007, 01:57 PM

one more gripe, anyone know what FOX is doing?? NFL season is about to begin and all the games on FOX are gonna look like garbage!!! it looked horrible last night at buffalo wild wings.
post #127 of 1226 Old 08-10-2007, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamoji View Post

one more gripe, anyone know what FOX is doing??

The answer is that they are doing nothing. They will not spend the money to go digital, much less HD, until they are forced to do it. They are going to ask for extensions and waivers from the FCC and keep putting out the same terrible analog signal as long as they can get away with it.
post #128 of 1226 Old 08-10-2007, 09:50 PM

Don't get all caught up in the conspiracy theories just yet.

It would be logical that KTAB, KRBC, KTXS and even KUF-7 AISD/ACU are sending their signals to SL either via microwave or back hauling up the fiber optics. Fiber backhaul for KTAB/KRBC was likely part of the contract when they worked the deal with Nexstar. I can absolutely confirm that KUF-7 is microwave since the OTA 7 signal is different than the cable channel 7 whenever AISD covers it with their programming (and the fact that microwave antennas are visible on both ACU and AISD campuses). This is just a guess, but KTXS is likely still using the low bandwidth (ie: SD) microwave link on their STL tower and that is why they are not QAM HD. KTXS could be a contract thing too, hard to know about that.

KRBC always said they were ready to go HD and that their switching gear was already HD. When the OTA antenna is mounted, I'm sure they'll fire up the HD signal that is already going through the backhaul. It's just a matter of time. The OTA antenna is a monster and takes a helicopter to mount. You can't do that in the rain and I'd guess the helicopter outfit is backlogged since it's been raining in Dallas as much or more than it is here.

As far as KIDY/KIDZ, their signal appears to transcoded from smoke signals or a long string and two green bean cans.
post #129 of 1226 Old 08-11-2007, 07:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdharris View Post

The answer is that they are doing nothing. They will not spend the money to go digital, much less HD, until they are forced to do it. They are going to ask for extensions and waivers from the FCC and keep putting out the same terrible analog signal as long as they can get away with it.

They may not have the money to spend...my guess is that if it weren't for the NFL, American Idol and 24 the entire network nationwide would be going under. Remaining the only analog only station in the area (and poor analog at that) isn't going to help their viewership numbers though. I haven't watched American Idol in years and I got bored with 24 last year so I imagine a few football games are the only thing I'll watch on Fox until they're forced to switch.

post #130 of 1226 Old 08-11-2007, 09:06 AM - Thread Starter

I did an OTA channel scan for digital signals on both my my ATSC receivers last night and both found a channel at 9.1 for KRBC.DT. However, when I tried to view that channel both receivers just went to a "Searching for Signal" message and never found one. Could it be that there is enough of a signal to show up on a scan but nothing is being broadcast right now?

Also, what is the Channel 17.1 that shows up with a scan? I cannot get any signal on that channel either but the scan finds it.
post #131 of 1226 Old 08-11-2007, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

I sincerely hope that KRBC is in some kind of temporary low power mode with their digital feed to Suddenlink...not only is the PQ much worse than KTAB but the sound is also weak and I have to crank up the volume about 6 notches above other stations just to hear whats going on.

cdharris- I recently switched from a Samsung DTB-H206F which is ATSC/QAM to an Epvision PHD-205 with NTSC as well as ATSC/QAM. My problem is that like the Samsung it only has one coax input which means either cable or air but not at the same time. I tried an old manual A/B switch I've had for years but the OTA scan only picked up KTAB and there seemed to be interference...mostly likely from the switch. Right now I'm just using cable from the wall to get analog and QAM digital so i can't help with 9.1 and 17.1.

post #132 of 1226 Old 08-12-2007, 11:55 PM

I lost the KTAB digital feed on Sunday, KTXS and the CW feeds were fine just lost KTAB. Did it happen to anyone else ?
post #133 of 1226 Old 08-13-2007, 12:01 AM

Yes, I was not able to watch 32.1 at all Sunday and still as of 2 am Monday. I was hoping someone else was having this problem, I thought I might need to move my ant. again.

edit:spelling
post #134 of 1226 Old 08-13-2007, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, my wife watches Big Brother and when I switched over to KTAB I got a full screen test signal....it went away just in time for the Big Brother show however. I think they are still messing around at the towers so I'm not too concerned.

edit- this was with Suddenlink QAM...not ota which is why we were able to watch Big Brother.

post #135 of 1226 Old 08-13-2007, 03:03 PM - Thread Starter

I could not pick up the KTAB digital signal on either of my HD receivers all day Sunday (caused me to miss the final round of the PGA!) and it was still off this morning when I went to work. Maybe it has something to do with getting KRBC on the air.
post #136 of 1226 Old 08-13-2007, 04:51 PM
adb
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdharris View Post

I could not pick up the KTAB digital signal on either of my HD receivers all day Sunday (caused me to miss the final round of the PGA!) and it was still off this morning when I went to work. Maybe it has something to do with getting KRBC on the air.

Let's hope so, makes sense.
post #137 of 1226 Old 08-13-2007, 06:37 PM

Man am I glad to hear I am not the only one having problems with KTAB. I am keeping my fingers crossed that this is a sign that they are messing with the antenna to bring up KRBC HD.

As of 8:30 PM on Monday I still have no KTAB but if we get both it and KRBC up in the next few days then I think it is worth it.
post #138 of 1226 Old 08-13-2007, 11:52 PM

Want the news you've all been waiting for? Both stations' full-power digital transmitters are slated to go live this week....as early as Tuesday (Aug. 14)!!!!!

And the reason ya'll haven't seen KTAB-DT over the air for the last couple of days is because the low-power transmitter has been permanently shut off; some of its parts are being incorporated into the new Acrodyne full-power systems due to commonality.

Our website, http://bigcountryhomepage.com/conten...text/?cid=1375, contains the official press release, and I personally will be out at the mountain this week to get video for the newscasts, and I'll be shooting live shots at least for the KTAB side.

As for Suddenlink, both stations' analog and digital signals are supplied via fiber directly from our master control; the transmitters aren't even in the loop, except maybe as a backup at Suddenlink's facility. KRBC-DT has been off the air since the tower fell last winter...trust me, there is no "secret" microwave link to the cable company....hell if we had the equipment to do that, we'd instead use it to replace our failing ENG transmitters/receivers (ENG=Electronic News Gathering, i.e. live trucks). And as a subscriber to Suddenlink's HD service, I have yet to see KRBC HD. The full-bandwidth signal is available to them, but my guess is they may be waiting until the channel is officially broadcasting, which, again, should be this week.

And my guess is as good as anyone's as to why Suddenlink doesn't carry KTXS' HD signal. Maybe it was part of Nexstar's agreement with Cox/Suddenlink? But now I'm just guessing, which leads to multi-page threads such as this. Facts are facts, and only the people who know the facts really know the facts.....

And many of you may know we're also the master control facility for KLST/KSAN, the CBS/NBC stations in San Angelo (just as our Fox station is controlled from KIDY's master control in San Angelo). The demise of KR's tower last winter severed the multi-channel microwave relay between here and there (Abilene studio-KRBC tower-Ballinger tower-KSAN tower-San Angelo studio), so we're currently installing a fiber link between the cities; it will be complete by the end of the year. In the meantime, all of San Angelo's network programming is supplied by Dish Network's feeds of KTAB and KRBC, with manual insertion of local commercials and newscasts.
post #139 of 1226 Old 08-14-2007, 02:18 AM

Thank you 93geo I am glad to see you are finally back to give us some info, you as an insider have been missed. With all the conspiracies going around I was about to put on my tin foil hat.
post #140 of 1226 Old 08-14-2007, 08:26 AM

Boy THAT IS SOME GREAT NEWS!!!

Thanks for the update 93geo.

Now we just need to get that miserable excuse for a FOX-TV station to step into the present and at least start offering a digital signal and hopefully HD soon after.
post #141 of 1226 Old 08-14-2007, 08:46 AM

nice, great news
post #142 of 1226 Old 08-14-2007, 12:40 PM
adb
AVS Special Member

Thank you for bringing us up to speed. Hope you will continue with your posts on this forum.
post #143 of 1226 Old 08-15-2007, 07:28 AM

Well what do you know we had three local HD stations up and running last night for awhile. I have since lost KTAB again (must have been around 9 last night) and it is still off this morning. I am sure it is a minor bug that needs to be fixed and they will do that in no time.

Now bring on some Monday Night Football and Heroes!!!
post #144 of 1226 Old 08-15-2007, 08:53 AM

I got home this morning at 6:30 did a scan nothing. 10:30 am I saw KTAB was back so I did a scan 9.1 popped up but this is all I see....

Still it is nice to finally get something.
post #145 of 1226 Old 08-15-2007, 10:15 AM
adb
AVS Special Member

Looks like they are getting it worked out.
post #146 of 1226 Old 08-16-2007, 01:06 AM

Thanks for welcoming me back to the forum...the transmitter construction has been pushed so far behind by the rain that I basically forgot about it.

And we still haven't "officially" announced that the DTV transmitters are operational; as adb put it, we're working out the bugs this week...that's why both channels have been off and on.

I was at "the mountain" on Tuesday for the first time since the new building was just a shell, and man is it beautiful. If ya'll are wondering, our new ATSC transmitters are liquid-cooled Acrodyne Quantum models. Check out www.acrodyne.com...the picture on the homepage is very similar to what our setup looks like.

While both stations' analog transmitters are non-solid-state Harris brand (both purchased in 1979...KTAB's is liquid-cooled, KR's is air-cooled), Nexstar/Mission has chosen Acrodyne for the ATSC upgrade. Harris has priced themselves out of the mid-small market segment...think of Acrodyne as a Chevy compared to Harris' Cadillac...both get you where you want to go!

Anyway, the Acrodyne engineer is scheduled to conclude the final tweaking by Thursday evening, so after that we should be officially up-and-running!

And as for signal strength, we're getting 92% or more using just rabbit ears and a cheap DTV receiver at the station....I even hit 100% at my house near HSU using a $10 antenna from Circuit City.
post #147 of 1226 Old 08-16-2007, 05:39 PM - Thread Starter

I have been receiving KRBC DT on channel 9.1 intermittently over the air for the past 2 days. It was on last night, but off this morning and is now on again. "My Name Is Earl" is on in HD right now! The picture is very good. This is the first HD program I have seen on KRBC, maybe the first they have shown. KTAB has also been on and off the past few days but it is on now. If only KTXS would improve their signal and FOX would do anything, we would be in great shape here in Abilene.
post #148 of 1226 Old 08-16-2007, 06:26 PM - Thread Starter

I guess they are still working things out. In the middle of Office, the picture changed to a letter box SD signal. Hopefully, they will get all this straightened out soon.
post #149 of 1226 Old 08-17-2007, 01:15 AM

Both KRBC & KTAB HD pictures are fantastic ! I am getting between 95%-97% signal strength for each. KTXS only around 50%-60% or less most of the time. Now if only FOX would go Digital, doesn't even have to be HD, I'd be happy with just a straight Digital signal. (T-bone your hat is AWESOME !)
post #150 of 1226 Old 08-18-2007, 03:31 PM - Thread Starter

I have noticed a strange problem when watching the KRBC HD channel. My DirecTV HD Tivo keeps freezing up. If I leave in on KRBC HD for a few minutes and then click a button on the remote, such as guide, info or channel up or down, the display freezes up and the remote and buttons on the receiver itself will not do anything. I can't change channels or go into the menus or anything and finally have to unplug it and reboot. This has happened at least 10 times since I first started receiving KRBC HD. At first I thought it must be a problem with my receiver, but it never happened before and does not happen on any other channels. Could something in an OTA signal cause a receiver to freeze up like that?
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page