Davenport, IA - HDTV - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 1643 Old 11-01-2007, 09:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I don't lose signal either and it is locked in ... just curious as to why it dropped from almost 100 down to 80.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 1643 Old 11-02-2007, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
http://www.fybush.com/featuredsite.html

Gilbert
post #453 of 1643 Old 11-04-2007, 08:03 PM

Liked: 11
Just to let you eastern neighbors know that our ABC station KCRG has filed suit against mediacom last week, yup another retransmission agreement fight. Hopefully it won't be as ugly as the kgan/$inclair deal. http://www.gazetteonline.com/apps/pb...711010030/1004

HD since Sept 2005
post #454 of 1643 Old 11-08-2007, 07:13 AM

Hey folks, is anyone else on this board using a Humax HFA100 tuner? I'm still working with KWQC and Humax on my problem, but no luck yet.
post #455 of 1643 Old 11-09-2007, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amato1969 View Post

Hey folks, is anyone else on this board using a Humax HFA100 tuner? I'm still working with KWQC and Humax on my problem, but no luck yet.

I used to use the Humex but I found it to be flaky so I bought a Samsung which has been rock soilid.
post #456 of 1643 Old 11-12-2007, 10:50 AM

Thx, brittmer. Mine's been great until recently when the station changed out some hardware. Now the tuner just won't recognize KWQC.

I'll post an update when I know more.
post #457 of 1643 Old 11-17-2007, 12:34 PM

hey guys, i just got into the hd scene, bought a 1080p tv. I am currently getting my hd programing through the unencrypted mediacom channels. I was just wondering if you guys think that there is much of a quality difference between this and ota?

and do kljb and wqad not broadcast in 1080?
post #458 of 1643 Old 11-17-2007, 03:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicski View Post

hey guys, i just got into the hd scene, bought a 1080p tv. I am currently getting my hd programing through the unencrypted mediacom channels. I was just wondering if you guys think that there is much of a quality difference between this and ota?

and do kljb and wqad not broadcast in 1080?

Welcome....and, personally, I don't see much difference between cable HD and OTA HD, but I'd give the slight edge to OTA.

And both Fox and ABC send their HD signals at 720p (as does WQPT now, too).

Mediacom Digital Cable and OTA HD
Panny TC-P55GT50 -- Denon AVR-1713 -- TiVo Premiere XL4 -- Sony BDP-S5100 -- SlingBox 350 -- Polk 5.1 Speakers -- Logitech Harmony One
post #459 of 1643 Old 11-19-2007, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Check out my earlier post about KQIN-DT wanting to go from high power in the Quad Cities to low power from the Orion, IL tower. The FCC has just dismissed that application. I don't know why for sure, but I am guessing that they didn't like that a station serving Iowa would have most of its coverage area in Illinois! So now KQIN-DT must stay in Iowa, and be at high power.

Also, most of the construction permit extensions from IPTV were dismissed last week as well. I know some were a moot point since they got them on the air at full power. Anyone know for sure?

Gilbert
post #460 of 1643 Old 11-23-2007, 06:38 PM

I recently picked up a Hisense HDTV converter for my first taste of OTA digital.

I've been doing antennas, tower and MATV for years so I thought it time to get my feet wet.

Wednesday evening we had some blowing snow and severe drop outs on 4-1 and 4-2. Even 6-1 and 6-2 were pixilating with frequent audio drop outs. All other channels were rock solid. I finally switched back to analog just to watch Leno. 4 and 6 analog were full quieting.

Prior to Wednesday night and now tonight, everything is back to normal. Is weather really effecting DTV that much? I noticed the signal strength on 4-1 and 6-1 were somewhat reduced Wednesday night too.

I have a 50' tower with a large VHF/UHF Winegard antenna and high gain mast mounted pre-amp. All of the QC analog channels are generally crystal clear.

Is this what we're going to expect from digital? I know there will be some improvement on S/N when the move from the temp UHF channels get moved back to VHF but how much?

After we chew on this one, I have some questions regarding aspect ratio.

Randy
post #461 of 1643 Old 11-23-2007, 07:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy52644 View Post

I recently picked up a Hisense HDTV converter for my first taste of OTA digital.

I've been doing antennas, tower and MATV for years so I thought it time to get my feet wet.

Wednesday evening we had some blowing snow and severe drop outs on 4-1 and 4-2. Even 6-1 and 6-2 were pixilating with frequent audio drop outs. All other channels were rock solid. I finally switched back to analog just to watch Leno. 4 and 6 analog were full quieting.

Prior to Wednesday night and now tonight, everything is back to normal. Is weather really effecting DTV that much? I noticed the signal strength on 4-1 and 6-1 were somewhat reduced Wednesday night too.

I have a 50' tower with a large VHF/UHF Winegard antenna and high gain mast mounted pre-amp. All of the QC analog channels are generally crystal clear.

Is this what we're going to expect from digital? I know there will be some improvement on S/N when the move from the temp UHF channels get moved back to VHF but how much?

Randy

Randy - By my estimates, you're about 50-60 miles from the Orion tower farm, then tack another 15 or so from WHBF-DT (which is in Bettendorf). So, even with your setup, you're doing pretty well. But at that distance, my uneducated guess would be that the weather would play some havoc with your reception. I can't say whether things will get better with the move to VHF. But the only one in our market that I know for sure will be moving is WHBF. I think the rest are set to stay on the UHF band. Maybe Gilbert can chime in here since he knows more about what the plans are for future frequency assignments.

Panny TC-P55GT50 -- Denon AVR-1713 -- TiVo Premiere XL4 -- Sony BDP-S5100 -- SlingBox 350 -- Polk 5.1 Speakers -- Logitech Harmony One
post #462 of 1643 Old 11-23-2007, 07:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Randy

Hi Randy,

Don't let my location put you off. In tropo, I can lock the QC stations, even behind a ridge and in a river valley some 90 miles east of you! And, I, too, am an antenna installer on the side, but I've just been doing it for 5 years. Been an over-the-air TV fan for many years.

A few things. The HiSense is a 4th generation tuner. Many of those and pretty much all of the earlier tuners are below par in terms of sensitivity. Much worse than that, however, is that they can't handle multipath virtually at all. And blowing snow creates just enough of it to knock out these models. 5th and the few 6th gen tuners out by LG and Mitsubishi right now blow them out of the water. The 6th generation tuners by the above manufacturers have amazing sensitivity and excellent handling of multipath. If you have the DB 2010, you have a 5th generation version of it, so I would be perplexed if you have that and are having the problems you speak of.

Also, as 'Great to be a Blackhawks fan again, isn't it' "Bierboy" mentioned, with WHBF going back to channel 4
in 2009, it's NOT going to be pretty. Head over to my home and see page after page after page of complaints about WBBM-DT, our CBS affiliate, with 4.4 kilowatts on channel 3.
They won't even get that. Impulse noise, anything electronic generating interference, skywave skipping of signal known as "E-skip" during summer, impossible reception in and fairly close to thunderstorms...WHBF had the opportunity to change, but blew it (and I'm guessing it was a corporate decision to save money from higher up, not local management). With a large Winegard antenna (7084P? HD8200P, the mother of all combo antennas?), even 60 miles out at your location, you should get them fine on a 50' tower with a strong preamp no less. Heck, I'm very impressed you get channel 4 with full noise quiet 60 miles out!

And as for aspect ratio...I hate "stretch-o-vision". I know some stations do it. Their audiences supposedly told them they like it like that. As for me, I absolutely hate it. Keep the aspect ratio the same as the original and let the foolish ones destroy their picture any way they want.

Gilbert
post #463 of 1643 Old 11-25-2007, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebenste View Post

Check out my earlier post about KQIN-DT wanting to go from high power in the Quad Cities to low power from the Orion, IL tower. The FCC has just dismissed that application. I don't know why for sure, but I am guessing that they didn't like that a station serving Iowa would have most of its coverage area in Illinois! So now KQIN-DT must stay in Iowa, and be at high power.

Also, most of the construction permit extensions from IPTV were dismissed last week as well. I know some were a moot point since they got them on the air at full power. Anyone know for sure?

Looking at KQIN's application list (at this link; entered "KQIN" under callsign), it looks like they filed two applications to move to the Orion area and this one was actually granted.

It appears the other application was dismissed at the request of the Iowa Public Broadcasting Board itself, due to this newer application, according to Exhibit 1 of this newer application.

Much of the area KQIN loses in Iowa under this proposal is covered by KIIN (12, DT 45, post-transition DT 12) out of West Branch-Iowa City anyway. (As a reminder to those new here, Iowa Public TV is a statewide network. KQIN, KIIN, and KRIN broadcast the same thing as KDIN out of Des Moines.)

Views are strictly my own unless otherwise noted.
"ItÂs looking more like Y2K than the Bay of Pigs." - FCC Commissioner Adelstein, 6-13-09, on the DTV switch
post #464 of 1643 Old 11-28-2007, 02:58 PM

Thanks for the reply. Not sure why I didn't receive notice from the forum of your posting. I just happened to log into the forum and saw your reply.

I will look for a newer digital converter. The Hisense was around $ 55.00 including shipping so I don't think that was too bad to get my feet wet!

All of my analog QC stations are 99% noise free most of the time. Excluding summer time tropo when everything disappears!

The changing aspect ratio is darn frustrating!!! I've seen stations change 3-4 times within 2-3 minutes of programming! The program is in one format. The credits are in another, the commercial changes again and the local news makes another change!

Is this my converter or are people that have bought digital TVs seeing the same thing?

Randy
post #465 of 1643 Old 12-07-2007, 08:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

It's vewy vewy quiet in here....

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!

post #466 of 1643 Old 12-07-2007, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dline View Post

Looking at KQIN's application list (at this link; entered "KQIN" under callsign), it looks like they filed two applications to move to the Orion area and this one was actually granted.

It appears the other application was dismissed at the request of the Iowa Public Broadcasting Board itself, due to this newer application, according to Exhibit 1 of this newer application.

Much of the area KQIN loses in Iowa under this proposal is covered by KIIN (12, DT 45, post-transition DT 12) out of West Branch-Iowa City anyway. (As a reminder to those new here, Iowa Public TV is a statewide network. KQIN, KIIN, and KRIN broadcast the same thing as KDIN out of Des Moines.)

Hey dline,

You are correct! I missed that other one. Still, it's not much different. They're still moving to Orion at low power. Interesting that you guys will have *3* PBS stations picked up in most of your DMA...two from Iowa, including one broadcasting from Illinois...and one from the Quad Cities. While Rockford, IL market next door gets a whopping zippo!

Also, KQIN, I am guessing, will ramp up in power once the analogs are shut off. If they do that, then they will go almost all the way to I-39 in IL!

Gilbert
post #467 of 1643 Old 12-07-2007, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for the reply. Not sure why I didn't receive notice from the forum of your posting. I just happened to log into the forum and saw your reply.

I will look for a newer digital converter. The Hisense was around $ 55.00 including shipping so I don't think that was too bad to get my feet wet!

All of my analog QC stations are 99% noise free most of the time. Excluding summer time tropo when everything disappears!

The changing aspect ratio is darn frustrating!!! I've seen stations change 3-4 times within 2-3 minutes of programming! The program is in one format. The credits are in another, the commercial changes again and the local news makes another change!

Is this my converter or are people that have bought digital TVs seeing the same thing?

Randy

Hi Randy,

At $55, that was a great price. 4th generation and earlier receivers did not typicaly match up to FCC receive specs, but then again, those came later in the game anyway. As for aspect ratio changes...as long as commercials are still shot in a mix of HD/SD, along with programming...you'll see that happen.

Gilbert
post #468 of 1643 Old 12-07-2007, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Also, KQIN, I am guessing, will ramp up in power once the analogs are shut off. If they do that, then they will go almost all the way to I-39 in IL!

I wouldn't count that out.

Their stated reason for reducing their power is because there's a freeze on coverage area expansion, and since their new antenna would be in a new location (and higher up), they felt they had to reduce their ERP to compensate. Once things get stabilized on the new channels, there'll be more room if KQIN wants to ramp things up -- or for that matter if WHBF finds out that DT on channel 4 isn't as good as they thought it was.

"ItÂs looking more like Y2K than the Bay of Pigs." - FCC Commissioner Adelstein, 6-13-09, on the DTV switch
post #469 of 1643 Old 12-07-2007, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

They're still moving to Orion at low power. Interesting that you guys will have *3* PBS stations picked up in most of your DMA...two from Iowa, including one broadcasting from Illinois...and one from the Quad Cities. While Rockford, IL market next door gets a whopping zippo!

That's kind of a shame, really.

I guess it all comes down to how the public broadcasting system developed in each state, and while I don't know much about Illinois, we actually had two models in Iowa. There was the public TV network which started in Des Moines in the late '60s and aimed for statewide coverage from day one. In fact they were transmitting from eight full-power sites within ten years. On the other hand, there was public radio, which was centered largely around the state universities in Ames, Iowa City and Cedar Falls. It tended to develop more lopsidedly with central and eastern Iowa getting most of the benefit and larger parts of the state going without public radio than TV.

The Board of Regents has been working lately to move public radio more toward the statewide TV model, which nearly blankets the state.

post #470 of 1643 Old 12-10-2007, 12:10 PM

Hi everyone. I just joined this forum today. I purchased a Philips 32" HD LCD on Black Friday from Best Buy. This tv is for my bedroom that just has "analog" cable. I found all of my Local HD channels on 106.1 (WHBF), 117.4(KWQC) and 117.5(ABC). The salesperson at Best Buy said that I didn't need to purchase rabbit ears to get the local HD channels.

Now for my question: I am getting channels on like 108.6, 110.7 and 111.4..... These appear to be movie channels. Does anybody know what these channels actually are? (ie, Showtime, HBO, Encore.....)????

Thanks for you help,
Dan
post #471 of 1643 Old 12-10-2007, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djv72 View Post

Hi everyone. I just joined this forum today. I purchased a Philips 32" HD LCD on Black Friday from Best Buy. This tv is for my bedroom that just has "analog" cable. I found all of my Local HD channels on 106.1 (WHBF), 117.4(KWQC) and 117.5(ABC). The salesperson at Best Buy said that I didn't need to purchase rabbit ears to get the local HD channels.

Now for my question: I am getting channels on like 108.6, 110.7 and 111.4..... These appear to be movie channels. Does anybody know what these channels actually are? (ie, Showtime, HBO, Encore.....)????

Thanks for you help,
Dan

Dan - Welcome to the QC thread!

The other channels you are seeing are probably Starz (if I recall correctly). And don't forget about Fox HD (106.3) and WQPT PBS HD (114.4).

post #472 of 1643 Old 12-11-2007, 07:36 AM

Thanks Bierboy, that's what I was wondering. It's just funny that it's not always the same channels.
post #473 of 1643 Old 12-11-2007, 10:02 AM

Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by djv72 View Post

Thanks for you help,
Dan

Could it be video on demand channels? For a time earlier this year with my Mediacom service, I could see random things on certain channels that appeared to be VOD. This included people pausing and fast-forwarding it, too. These seemed to go encrypted by summer though.
post #474 of 1643 Old 12-13-2007, 06:30 PM

HELP!!
I bought a CM 4221 today, along with two diplexers to tie into my satelite coax, and I get no local singal, and I loose 212 HD....
When I hook the CM 4221 directly to the h20 receiver, I get great signal for ALL local channels.
I would like to use the use diplexers to put the signal on the same coax, as I have another HD receiver (HD DVR) I want to also connect to the antenna.
Am I better off splitting the antenna cable and running coax to each set.

Any/All help would be appreciated.
post #475 of 1643 Old 12-14-2007, 08:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwillys View Post

HELP!!
I bought a CM 4221 today, along with two diplexers to tie into my satelite coax, and I get no local singal, and I loose 212 HD....
When I hook the CM 4221 directly to the h20 receiver, I get great signal for ALL local channels.
I would like to use the use diplexers to put the signal on the same coax, as I have another HD receiver (HD DVR) I want to also connect to the antenna.

I'm not an antenna expert (other than knowing that the CM 4221 works well in our market). But, from the sound of it, by diplexing into the same coax as your dish, that seems to be messing up your OTA signal. As inconvenient as it may be, you'll probably be better off running a separate coax for the antenna.

post #476 of 1643 Old 12-15-2007, 10:24 AM

Thanks
I installed a splitter and wired it to both receivers. One shows about 75-85 signal and the other shows 60-75. BUT...both have great picture with little/no pixeling
post #477 of 1643 Old 12-16-2007, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwillys View Post

HELP!!

You can NOT diplex ota and satellite signals. Both your H20 and HR20 have ota inputs and should be connected via a dedicated OTA signal. You can split the OTA once or twice from the antenna, but you may have to install a high quality in house amp for the OTA signals if you experience too much signal loss. Of course all this assumes that you are already getting good to very good signals. I'm using 4 D* receivers, all with ota direct to the receivers. I love not having to switch TV inputs, plus the guide is available for locals too. Keep your sat and OTA seperate and you have a nice setup.
post #478 of 1643 Old 12-23-2007, 06:25 AM

I am heading to visit my sister today. Just wondering if any Mediacom customers in the QCA have found the ESPN HD channels through the QAM tuner? I know they are supposed to be arriving on 1/1, but I have read that others in Iowa have already located them. If you know their frequencies, please post. Merry Christmas!
post #479 of 1643 Old 12-23-2007, 06:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankenyclone View Post

I am heading to visit my sister today. Just wondering if any Mediacom customers in the QCA have found the ESPN HD channels through the QAM tuner? I know they are supposed to be arriving on 1/1, but I have read that others in Iowa have already located them. If you know their frequencies, please post. Merry Christmas!

I haven't stumbled on them (with a TiVo Series 3). All I've found are the channels listed in the first post of this thread. But, if anyone else has found them, please post.

And a Blessed Christmas to all here!!

post #480 of 1643 Old 12-23-2007, 08:53 AM

I began receiving ESPN & ESPN2 in HD on 12/20. I don't have the HD package but I do have a HD box (for HBO & Starz). I have not found them via my QAM tuner yet.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page