Davenport, IA - HDTV - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 1644 Old 03-17-2006, 02:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Did WHBF have any problems broadcasting the Iowa/NW St. game this afternoon? KGAN claims CBS switched their feed to the Buknell/Ark game when Ia was playing in the 2nd half. Never have seen anything like it. KGAN's phones were jammed for over an hour with pissed off hawk fans. Then at the end of the game kgan/cbs switched games before the 2 mvp's were announced.

http://www.kgan.com/cgi-bin/csNews.c...ne&id=395&op=t

HD since Sept 2005
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 1644 Old 03-17-2006, 05:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Not being an Iowa fan (and not really too interested in college BB at all), I did not see it. Anyone else?

Mediacom Digital Cable and OTA HD
Panny TC-P55GT50 -- Denon AVR-1713 -- TiVo Premiere XL4 -- Sony BDP-S5100 -- SlingBox 350 -- Polk 5.1 Speakers -- Logitech Harmony One
post #33 of 1644 Old 03-18-2006, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bierboy View Post

Not being an Iowa fan (and not really too interested in college BB at all), I did not see it. Anyone else?

Same here. Sorry
post #34 of 1644 Old 03-18-2006, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by iowahawkeye View Post

Did WHBF have any problems broadcasting the Iowa/NW St. game this afternoon? KGAN claims CBS switched their feed to the Buknell/Ark game when Ia was playing in the 2nd half. Never have seen anything like it. KGAN's phones were jammed for over an hour with pissed off hawk fans. Then at the end of the game kgan/cbs switched games before the 2 mvp's were announced.

Apparently it went beyond KGAN and WHBF. KCCI Des Moines, which unlike WHBF and KGAN is top rated in its market by a landslide, supposedly reported a similar problem.

I've never worked for a CBS affiliate, but I do know they have to juggle an amazing number of feeds during this first round -- they had eight games Friday afternoon alone, four of which (including the Iowa game) had HD simulcasts. We often take for granted that "our" game will appear on Channel 2 or Channel 4, but there's a LOT going on behind the scenes to make sure that happens.

I didn't see the foul-up myself because of the "SaPaDaPaSo" St. Patrick's Day Parade in Cedar Rapids. I saw the 12-point lead and thought, this is safe. Nothing will go wrong. So I left to watch the parade, secure in the knowledge that I could watch the Hawks in HD again in round two.

Sad.

But then again, that's basketball.

Views are strictly my own unless otherwise noted.
"ItÂs looking more like Y2K than the Bay of Pigs." - FCC Commissioner Adelstein, 6-13-09, on the DTV switch
post #35 of 1644 Old 03-21-2006, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Interesting article in the QC Times Saturday about the current UPN affiliate switching to "My Network TV" and accessing a digital signal plus upgrading its signal quality (analog). Story is here.

Panny TC-P55GT50 -- Denon AVR-1713 -- TiVo Premiere XL4 -- Sony BDP-S5100 -- SlingBox 350 -- Polk 5.1 Speakers -- Logitech Harmony One
post #36 of 1644 Old 03-23-2006, 11:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowahawkeye View Post

I watched whole game on WHBF-DT. No interruptions or game switches.

Just wish the game would have had a different ending.

HD-DVD + Blu-ray = An all-inclusive HD home movie viewing experience.
post #37 of 1644 Old 03-23-2006, 11:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Interesting article in the QC Times Saturday about the current UPN affiliate switching to "My Network TV" and accessing a digital signal plus upgrading its signal quality (analog). Story is here.

Any word on when KGWB moves to its 26.1 tower and starts WB-HD - or the new (this fall) CW-HD - broadcasts, John?

HD-DVD + Blu-ray = An all-inclusive HD home movie viewing experience.
post #38 of 1644 Old 03-27-2006, 11:36 AM

It seems that KLJB does not have much, if any, programs broacast in HD anymore.

Am I right on this? If so, what happened. I thought they had HD programming before.

I also looked at www.titantv.com and they do not show any shows in HD for KLJB either.

Thanks.
Bruce
post #39 of 1644 Old 03-27-2006, 04:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVwannabe View Post

Any word on when KGWB moves to its 26.1 tower and starts WB-HD - or the new (this fall) CW-HD - broadcasts, John?

Nothing that I know of...I'll do some checking amongst the QC CEs to see if they've heard anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brittmer View Post

It seems that KLJB does not have much, if any, programs broacast in HD anymore.

Am I right on this? If so, what happened. I thought they had HD programming before.

I also looked at www.titantv.com and they do not show any shows in HD for KLJB either.

Thanks.
Bruce

Last comment first -- I e-mailed Titan over a month ago (maybe a lot longer) about that, and they've still not made the changes.

KLJB broadcasts everything in HD that Fox makes available in HD (unless somone's asleep at the "switch" which hasn't happened too often lately). I've been out of town the past four days, but, before that, they've been pretty consistent. Are you watching OTA or via cable HD?
I'll check Prison Break and 24 tonight.

John

post #40 of 1644 Old 03-27-2006, 05:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well Prison Break is SD stretched right now. I'll give them a call and send an e-mail to their Program Manager as well. I do remember this happening once last week on some other show (I think Bones), but eventually they got it right. Not sure how far into the show, though.

EDIT: Back from break at 7:08 p.m. and it's now in HD. This has been the pattern, Bruce, and I think you're correct. I did fire off an e-mail to their program manager.

John

post #41 of 1644 Old 04-04-2006, 08:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Just noticed tonight that WHBF DT was showing a subchannel (4-2). It wasn't broadcasting anything, but the odd thing was that, when I tuned it in, it rendered my remote extremely sluggish (using a Harmony SST-659 on a Sammy SIR-T151). When I'd tune any other digital channel, the remote responded fine. Odd.

post #42 of 1644 Old 04-04-2006, 11:16 PM

My T-165 did the same thing when KCCI started playing with 8-2. Until they actually had anything ppresent on the channel, the Samsung would seem slow to respond until after I got off that channel. Now that there's actual program data on 8-2, I don't have any problems. Makes me thing it's some weird Samsung issue where if the receiver doesn't actually have data to decode it wets its pants and doesn't know what to do.

(Note: Comments and other information in my posts are strictly my opinions only and not those of my employer or their parent company and network.)
post #43 of 1644 Old 04-05-2006, 08:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Good to know, thanks. I'm just bummed they're even considering a sub...eating into the available bandwidth. Unless they manage it properly, it'll compromise the audio/video quality of their primary HD feed.

post #44 of 1644 Old 04-05-2006, 05:15 PM

anyone know why WQAD 708 is not in HD ???

New LOST Tonight ad no HD
post #45 of 1644 Old 04-05-2006, 07:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Was out tonight...just got home, so I didn't see it. I'm OTA anyhow. Anyone else see it on Mediacom? They weren't running weather crawls were they? When they do that, they drop to SD.

EDIT: I watched my TiVo'd SD version of Lost this morning, and, indeed, they were running weather watches in the upper righthand corner of the screen during almost the entire program. That's the reason it was not HD Wednesday night.

post #46 of 1644 Old 04-06-2006, 07:05 AM

I wonder if the 4-2 Subchannel Bierboy has noticed means that they will have weekday Masters coverage today.
post #47 of 1644 Old 04-06-2006, 08:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavh View Post

I wonder if the 4-2 Subchannel Bierboy has noticed means that they will have weekday Masters coverage today.

That'd be cool...especially if it's in HD! But I see USA has coverage beginning at 3 p.m., so I kinda doubt it.

post #48 of 1644 Old 04-06-2006, 10:40 AM

From the HD Programming Masters thread

CBS Sports will bring viewers all the color, artistry and drama inherent to the world's most prestigious golf tournament and first major of the year on the CBS Television HD Network on Thursday, April 6 and Friday, April 7 (4:00-7:00 PM, ET, each day) and Saturday, April 8 (3:30-7:00 PM, ET) and Sunday, April 9 (2:30-7:00 PM, ET) live from Augusta National Golf Club in Augusta, Ga. The third and final rounds of the Masters will be broadcast simultaneously in standard definition by CBS Sports on the analog CBS Television Network.

Now I don't know if WHBF will carry it or not. But its certainly available to them. Its also available if you have Universal HD in addition to USA Standard def.

During the NCAA basketball tournament, a few times the game that was the Digital Broadcast did not always match the Analog. I recall have a split screen on my TV one night at the end a couple of close ballgames which were ending at the same time. My son had Picture in a Picture showing two games, one on Digital WHBF and one on Analog WHBF. (they probably don't even know they did it) So they definitely have the capability to show one program analog and a different digital if they don't open up the 4-2.
post #49 of 1644 Old 04-06-2006, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by kavh View Post

From the HD Programming Masters thread

CBS Sports will bring viewers all the color, artistry and drama inherent to the world's most prestigious golf tournament and first major of the year on the CBS Television HD Network on Thursday, April 6 and Friday, April 7 (4:00-7:00 PM, ET, each day) and Saturday, April 8 (3:30-7:00 PM, ET) and Sunday, April 9 (2:30-7:00 PM, ET) live from Augusta National Golf Club in Augusta, Ga. The third and final rounds of the Masters will be broadcast simultaneously in standard definition by CBS Sports on the analog CBS Television Network.

Now I don't know if WHBF will carry it or not. But its certainly available to them. Its also available if you have Universal HD in addition to USA Standard def.

WHBF will carry it. No question...all CBS affils who have HD should carry it, barring glitches.

Now...(puts on knight suit to cushion rocks thrown at me from that Bierboy...)

CBS O&O's, and many affils, will start carrying a 2 mb subchannel that shows nothing but CBS promos. They started in March in Milwaukee. It's popping up all over the country. Yes, it will reduce the bandwidth and expect to see more macroblocking on CBS when this junk channel comes to you.

(Now notices rocks, bricks and Molotov cocktails being thrown from MANY Quad Cities AVS posters...I'm just the messenger!!!! )

Gilbert
post #50 of 1644 Old 04-06-2006, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebenste View Post

Now...(puts on knight suit to cushion rocks thrown at me from that Bierboy...)

CBS O&O's, and many affils, will start carrying a 2 mb subchannel that shows nothing but CBS promos. They started in March in Milwaukee. It's popping up all over the country. Yes, it will reduce the bandwidth and expect to see more macroblocking on CBS when this junk channel comes to you.

(Now notices rocks, bricks and Molotov cocktails being thrown from MANY Quad Cities AVS posters...I'm just the messenger!!!! )

sebenste, can I borrow your knight suit for a moment?

Keep in mind, this promo channel is only one possible service WHBF can try.

It will reduce bandwidth from the maximum available, but there are other factors at play, too. The Cedar Rapids-Waterloo NBC has been running two subs rather successfully for a little over a year now, using an encoder that juggles bandwidth as necessary to keep up the main channel if it needs it.

Of course, we'll have to see how the gold-channel-number-slightly-off-the-red-ball chain handles it. WHBF is the only CBS station they own.

Actually, never mind. That suit doesn't fit me anyway. It's the price I pay for not getting on the Michelob Ultra bandwagon.

"ItÂs looking more like Y2K than the Bay of Pigs." - FCC Commissioner Adelstein, 6-13-09, on the DTV switch
post #51 of 1644 Old 04-06-2006, 03:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Holy crap, Batman....WHBF is carrying the Masters right now in HD! They're running their regular programming on their analog channel and the Masters on their HD....groovy!

post #52 of 1644 Old 04-06-2006, 03:55 PM

I really expected that the other programming would be on a subchannel. I did a scan and it does now show 4-2 but nothing on it. Checked and compared to UHD on D* and the picture may be just a touch better on whbf. But just maybe.
post #53 of 1644 Old 04-06-2006, 04:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Now, with the Masters done for the day, WHBF DT 4-2 is simulcasting 4-1. During the Masters, it was there, but dark.

post #54 of 1644 Old 04-06-2006, 10:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Now, with the Masters done for the day, WHBF DT 4-2 is simulcasting 4-1. During the Masters, it was there, but dark.

I've been on AVS now for what, two years now...and I still can't believe
the switch Bierboy has done with WHBF in the last year. 6 months ago,
they could do no right, and now, just the opposite!

Seriously, though, THAT is the way and the reason to do subchannels! A HUGE tip of the hat to WHBF! Now, I do suspect that might eventually become the CBS promo channel, but for now, enjoy, oh, enjoy!

Gilbert
post #55 of 1644 Old 04-07-2006, 06:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebenste View Post

I've been on AVS now for what, two years now...and I still can't believe
the switch Bierboy has done with WHBF in the last year. 6 months ago,
they could do no right, and now, just the opposite!

Seriously, though, THAT is the way and the reason to do subchannels! A HUGE tip of the hat to WHBF! Now, I do suspect that might eventually become the CBS promo channel, but for now, enjoy, oh, enjoy!

Gilbert - Actually, they had the Masters on their primary, 4-1, not the subchannel. I have NO idea why they would be simulcasting their SD programming on 4-1 and 4-2 after Masters coverage was done. Makes no sense to me. So I'm not completely on their bandwagon yet!

John

post #56 of 1644 Old 04-13-2006, 07:23 AM

Has anyone else noticed that splitting the QC and CR threads has essentially killed both?
post #57 of 1644 Old 04-13-2006, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdelin View Post

Has anyone else noticed that splitting the QC and CR threads has essentially killed both?

Could be a factor, but I'd have to think that there are other factors at play. Remember how we used to complain and speculate endlessly about when WHBF, KGAN and KFXA were going to crank up the power and go HD? Now that they ARE HD, that takes a lot of wind out of the thread. It's just another sign that DT is starting to mature. Now our issues are coming more in fits and starts. Stay tuned, though.

post #58 of 1644 Old 04-13-2006, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dline View Post

Could be a factor, but I'd have to think that there are other factors at play. Remember how we used to complain and speculate endlessly about when WHBF, KGAN and KFXA were going to crank up the power and go HD? Now that they ARE HD, that takes a lot of wind out of the thread. It's just another sign that DT is starting to mature. Now our issues are coming more in fits and starts. Stay tuned, though.

I agree; I've noticed that the CR thread is much more active because, frankly, they've had many more problems with their HD offerings. But, with the impending doom of WB and UPN and creation of "the CW" (ugh, what an awful name ), we should see more "action"! I still believe it was a wise move to split the threads.

post #59 of 1644 Old 04-13-2006, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I agree; I've noticed that the CR thread is much more active because, frankly, they've had many more problems with their HD offerings. But, with the impending doom of WB and UPN and creation of "the CW" (ugh, what an awful name ), we should see more "action"! I still believe it was a wise move to split the threads.

And between John and I, we cause enough trouble for own thread!
Hey! Let's cause more havoc. Did anyone see this?

http://www.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/tvq?list=0&facid=68036

Looks like TBN has requested a displacement, flash-cut to digital application
to go to 15 kw on channel 29. Wow, at 300' at 15 kw, that signal would really get out if approved...

http://www.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/FMTV-serv...LD1122177.html

And sorry for the confoozion about the Master's post, I meant what you said.

Gilbert
post #60 of 1644 Old 04-13-2006, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdelin View Post

The eastern IA forum is 6 pages/175 replies. But then again we have KGAN

HD since Sept 2005
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page