post #61 of 1645 Old 04-15-2006, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bierboy View Post

But, with the impending doom of WB and UPN and creation of "the CW" (ugh, what an awful name ), we should see more "action"! I still believe it was a wise move to split the threads.

Well, it beats "The WC." Even Les Moonves knew that. But I still envision a promo with a bunch of trucks emblazoned with The CW logo driving into the sunset, with "Convoy" playing in the background.

Seriously, though, it appears the mystery of who's getting what is ending. A Cedar Rapids blogger has been tracking the My/CW signups on his website, www.northpine.com. Citing the trades, he reports The CW will go to KGWB in Burlington and KWKB in Iowa City-Cedar Rapids, while WBQD-LP will go with MyNetwork.

Views are strictly my own unless otherwise noted.
"ItÂs looking more like Y2K than the Bay of Pigs." - FCC Commissioner Adelstein, 6-13-09, on the DTV switch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 1645 Old 04-15-2006, 06:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by dline View Post

Well, it beats "The WC." Even Les Moonves knew that. But I still envision a promo with a bunch of trucks emblazoned with The CW logo driving into the sunset, with "Convoy" playing in the background.

Seriously, though, it appears the mystery of who's getting what is ending. A Cedar Rapids blogger has been tracking the My/CW signups on his website, www.northpine.com. Citing the trades, he reports The CW will go to KGWB in Burlington and KWKB in Iowa City-Cedar Rapids, while WBQD-LP will go with MyNetwork.

Yeah, there was a story in the local paper about that I posted last month here. I just hope the KGWB goes hi-def sometime sooner rather than later.

And, just to keep Gilbert on his toes, I had to e-mail the CE at KWQC this afternoon when the Rangers/Flyers hockey game started in SD. He e-mailed me back apologizing for the delay in the HD switchover saying they messed up last weekend, too. I hope they indoctrinate their master control operators a little better in the future....

Mediacom Digital Cable and OTA HD
Panny TC-P55GT50 -- Denon AVR-1713 -- TiVo Premiere XL4 -- Sony BDP-S5100 -- SlingBox 350 -- Polk 5.1 Speakers -- Logitech Harmony One
post #63 of 1645 Old 04-15-2006, 08:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:

Yeah, there was a story in the local paper about that I posted last month here. I just hope the KGWB goes hi-def sometime sooner rather than later.

And, just to keep Gilbert on his toes, I had to e-mail the CE at KWQC this afternoon when the Rangers/Flyers hockey game started in SD. He e-mailed me back apologizing for the delay in the HD switchover saying they messed up last weekend, too. I hope they indoctrinate their master control operators a little better in the future....

And to keep Bier on his toes, WBQD-LP has requested a power increase. I can't imagine why!

Also, read the Chicago OTA board...Conan still doesn't go HD until 20+ minutes into the show. But our Rockford, IL affiliate hits it dead on, every time...

And as a meteorologist, I know you and everyone else must have been going crazy with that Iowa City storm that also produced a weak tornado that crossed the Missisippi River (so much for the myth that tornadoes can't cross rivers).

Who has the best weather coverage for a) in general on their main channel, and b) on their subchannels?

Gilbert
post #64 of 1645 Old 04-16-2006, 04:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Without a doubt, KWQC does the best job with local weather coverage in this market. WQAD isn't too far behind, but Thursday night during the storms, they had multiple problems -- dead air, graphics not working, etc. Not sure on the subs; I've deleted them from my favorites on my Sammy 151, so I don't see them. From what I remember, though, WQAD (on 8-2) runs local radar and cycles the local forecast from their most recent local newscast. KWQC has some type of weather on their sub; not sure what, though.

I love storms; believe it or not, when I was a kid, I wanted to be a weatherman! And, Friday, our son, who lives in the Indianapolis area, called when their sirens went off for tornado warnings. I guess they got hammered by a lot of hail damage....interesting stories in the Indianapolis Star online this morning (indystar.com).

Panny TC-P55GT50 -- Denon AVR-1713 -- TiVo Premiere XL4 -- Sony BDP-S5100 -- SlingBox 350 -- Polk 5.1 Speakers -- Logitech Harmony One
post #65 of 1645 Old 04-16-2006, 06:12 AM

Liked: 11
I agree with Bierboy. KWQC's coverage Thursday night was really good. I had first tuned into WQAD's subchannel because they have the radar screen (I thought)and Neil Kastor was on. So I switched to WQAD's main channel and it was the same thing. The same went for KWQC. So evidently when they go to "wall to wall" coverage the subs simulcast whats on the main channel.

If its sunny skies I'm OK with cycling the latest forcast but if there's a storm moving in I like to see a big picture of the lastest radar. So whoever does that will be my favorite.
post #66 of 1645 Old 05-04-2006, 02:11 PM

Hello, I have a question. Did KLJB-DT recently boost their strength? I live about 80 miles east of the Quad Cities, and I can now receive them.
post #67 of 1645 Old 05-05-2006, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearz 34 View Post

Hello, I have a question. Did KLJB-DT recently boost their strength? I live about 80 miles east of the Quad Cities, and I can now receive them.

Welcome to the Quad-Cities discussion thread!

I don't believe so. I think they've been at high power (1,000 kW - 1,000,000 watts) for quite awhile now. I think you may be experiencing good tropo. Just enjoy it!

post #68 of 1645 Old 05-08-2006, 08:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Not sure how many of you in the QC watched the NHL on KWQC in HD, but they've been having their problems. Several times over the past few weekends, they've fluctuated between HD and SD. I've been in contact with the CE, and he's aware of the problem and checking into it.

post #69 of 1645 Old 05-08-2006, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Have just learned it's highly likely (can never be 100% sure) that the CW will be offered in HD in the QC market. Don't have a time frame, but the source of the information is very reliable. CW will be connected to the Fox affiliate, KLJB, in Davenport. They're putting up a new, digital tower...not sure of the location, and not sure when it will be operational. More news to come later.

post #70 of 1645 Old 05-08-2006, 04:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Have just learned it's highly likely (can never be 100% sure) that the CW will be offered in HD in the QC market. Don't have a time frame, but the source of the information is very reliable. CW will be connected to the Fox affiliate, KLJB, in Davenport. They're putting up a new, digital tower...not sure of the location, and not sure when it will be operational. More news to come later.

Excellent, excellent news, John. TheWB-HD and UPN-HD (now the combined TheCW-HD this fall) has been a long time coming for this guy.

HD-DVD + Blu-ray = An all-inclusive HD home movie viewing experience.
post #71 of 1645 Old 05-08-2006, 06:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The FCC has a construction permit for KGWB to build a 500kW transmitter on a 1,290-foot tower slightly southwest of Aledo, IL. Here's a link to an FCC map showing its estimated coverage area. Currently, they're on a special temporary authority for 2.73kW from Burlington proper.

The new tower should easily serve the QCA, Muscatine, most of Clinton and perhaps even Iowa City if the map is to be believed. KGWB-DT operates on channel 41.

"ItÂs looking more like Y2K than the Bay of Pigs." - FCC Commissioner Adelstein, 6-13-09, on the DTV switch
post #72 of 1645 Old 05-08-2006, 07:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The FCC has a construction permit for KGWB to build a 500kW transmitter on a 1,290-foot tower slightly southwest of Aledo, IL. Here's a link to an FCC map showing its estimated coverage area. Currently, they're on a special temporary authority for 2.73kW from Burlington proper.

The new tower should easily serve the QCA, Muscatine, most of Clinton and perhaps even Iowa City if the map is to be believed. KGWB-DT operates on channel 41.

Shame its just for 500kW. Comes up a little short of CR proper. Once its up and running, I'd wager that those in the [80 to 220-degrees relative of] CR-area will probly be able to pull it in with a decent setup on most summer evenings/nights, though.

HD-DVD + Blu-ray = An all-inclusive HD home movie viewing experience.
post #73 of 1645 Old 05-08-2006, 10:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Hey gang,

As a certain Chicago Cubs announcer once said: "hold everything!".

Is WHBF *really* going back to channel 4? After all, that's all they could do,
with a UHF DTV allotment "out of core" (outside of 2-51), and a VHF-LO designation (channel 2-6, in this case, channel 4). The rules said you had to stay in core, and choose one channel in the band your analog OR digital channel was in if it was between 2 and 51. If you had both channels (analog and digital) out of core, then you could file for a new channel in round 3.

But the second round of FCC DTV channels elections is over. In that ruling,
where 81 stations had applications, with 75 approvals and 6 disapprovals that go to round 3, came this proclamation (see http://www.fcc.gov/dtv/):

"THE THIRD ROUND OF ELECTIONS. ...In addition, licensees that have received a tentative channel designation for a low VHF channel (ie, channels 2 through 6)
or a channel subject to international coordination issues, may use this form to seek an alternative channel designation."

"This form" is a form used to file for an alternate channel in round three if you chose a VHF-LO channel in round one!

Will WHBF file for a new one? Maybe...oh, say, on UHF? Applications are due in no later than close of business on May 26, 2006. IE, about two weeks from now!

Oh Bierboy...I gotta homework assignment for you. Work your magic,
and find out what WHBF is gonna do, if anything!

If they are wise, they will file to head to a UHF channel for maximum signal penetration in homes. We, in Chicago, are praying that WBBM-DT on channel 3
files for a UHF signal. They do have that option; I do not know if they will take it.

Gilbert
post #74 of 1645 Old 05-09-2006, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVwannabe View Post

Shame its just for 500kW. Comes up a little short of CR proper. Once its up and running, I'd wager that those in the [80 to 220-degrees relative of] CR-area will probly be able to pull it in with a decent setup on most summer evenings/nights, though.

That's gonna make aiming a bit more challenging for me. Right now, I get all the sticks (WQPT, KWQC, WQAD and KLJB DTs) in Orion on the front side of my CM4221 and Channel 4 on the back side. So I'm oriented facing almost squarely south (from East Moline). With this, however, I may have to swing it over a bit to the SW (unless it's strong enough to be picked up with my current orientation). That'll make recording a bit challenging (when I get the new TiVo Series 3!).
BTW, Gilbert, I'll get right on that "homework"!

post #75 of 1645 Old 05-09-2006, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebenste View Post

Hey gang,

As a certain Chicago Cubs announcer once said: "hold everything!".

Is WHBF *really* going back to channel 4? After all, that's all they could do, with a UHF DTV allotment "out of core" (outside of 2-51), and a VHF-LO designation (channel 2-6, in this case, channel 4). The rules said you had to stay in core, and choose one channel in the band your analog OR digital channel was in if it was between 2 and 51. If you had both channels (analog and digital) out of core, then you could file for a new channel in round 3.

But the second round of FCC DTV channels elections is over. In that ruling, where 81 stations had applications, with 75 approvals and 6 disapprovals that go to round 3, came this proclamation (see http://www.fcc.gov/dtv/):

"THE THIRD ROUND OF ELECTIONS. ...In addition, licensees that have received a tentative channel designation for a low VHF channel (ie, channels 2 through 6) or a channel subject to international coordination issues, may use this form to seek an alternative channel designation."

"This form" is a form used to file for an alternate channel in round three if you chose a VHF-LO channel in round one!

Will WHBF file for a new one? Maybe...oh, say, on UHF? Applications are due in no later than close of business on May 26, 2006. IE, about two weeks from now!

Oh Bierboy...I gotta homework assignment for you. Work your magic,
and find out what WHBF is gonna do, if anything!

If they are wise, they will file to head to a UHF channel for maximum signal penetration in homes. We, in Chicago, are praying that WBBM-DT on channel 3 files for a UHF signal. They do have that option; I do not know if they will take it.

The WBBM answer is easy ... They've negotiated with WTTW to use Channel 11 after the transition while WTTW moves to UHF Channel 47. The deal was initially "disapproved," but WBBM filed new engineering data and it's now listed as "approved."

As for WHBF, no doubt we'll be visiting this FCC search page periodically, searching eagerly for a Form 386. That's the third round election form. Come to think of it, the ABC affiliate in my hometown, WOI-TV, has not just the same owner, but the same issue. They're analog Channel 5/DT 59 and have filed to go back to Channel 5 in the first round of elections.

As of today, though, no Form 386's have been filed by stations in Iowa or Illinois ... or anywhere else in the U.S. for that matter.

post #76 of 1645 Old 05-09-2006, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The WBBM answer is easy ... They've negotiated with WTTW to use Channel 11 after the transition while WTTW moves to UHF Channel 47.
The deal was initially "disapproved," but WBBM filed new engineering data and it's now listed as "approved."

Bzzzt! Yes, it has been approved. But the answer is not easy. They have agreed to take over WTTW's facilities. BUT...here's the rub. Even if you negotiated a VHF-HI channel, you can still file for a 3rd round since the original two for them are VHF-LO. The FCC will have to allow them to do that, since they opened up Pandora's box on people getting off of VHF-LO! That's the word I get from my sources, well versed on the matter.
Quote:

As for WHBF, no doubt we'll be visiting this FCC search page periodically, searching eagerly for a Form 386. That's the third round election form. Come to think of it, the ABC affiliate in my hometown, WOI-TV, has not just the same owner, but the same issue. They're analog Channel 5/DT 59 and have filed to go back to Channel 5 in the first round of elections.

As of today, though, no Form 386's have been filed by stations in Iowa or Illinois ... or anywhere else in the U.S. for that matter.

I prefer searching through http://www.fcc.gov/mb/video/tvq.html . Makes life easier. Punch in a call sign, and blammo.

Yep, forgot about WHOI. And I bet that most will wait until May 26, to exhaust all their options to make the best choice. I hope you get a UHF for WHBF!!!
(It will be easier to retune the antenna than to buy all new equipment, of course!)

Gilbert
post #77 of 1645 Old 05-09-2006, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Either way WHBF goes, I don't anticipate having any problems picking them up with my UHF CM4221. They won't be moving their tower, and they're only a few miles away (less than 10). So even at channel 4, I anticipate receiving them fine. Now, the new tower for the CW network is another issue. THAT's the one I'd have to rotate my antenna for.

post #78 of 1645 Old 05-11-2006, 01:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I prefer searching through http://www.fcc.gov/mb/video/tvq.html . Makes life easier. Punch in a call sign, and blammo.

That link is great for finding out about a station, but it hard to find out about a specific filing from it. If you go to this link:

http://svartifoss2.fcc.gov/prod/cdbs...d/app_sear.htm

... you'll go to the FCC's CDBS, which will let you search for any application a station has filed. For instance, if you type "IL" in the State field and select form "386" in the "Form Number" field, you can see every Form 386 from every Illinois television station which filed one. (As of the time of this post, there were none.)

Here are some useful form numbers for finding out about the digital transition:

- Form 381 is the Pre-Election Certification form. All stations had to file this, to certify their technical data and tell the FCC whether they intend to maximize their DT signal or not.

- Form 382 is the First Round Election.

- Form 383 the First Round Conflict form. If the FCC determines a station's first choice for a post-transition digital channel interferes too much with another station's, the conflicting stations have to file this form telling the FCC how they plan to resolve the conflict. Options include a submitting a resolution agreement between the stations, submitting technical engineering data, selecting their other in-core channel (if they have one), or going to the second round.

- Form 384 is the Second Round Election, for stations without an in-core channel or for stations who gave up their rights to the only in-core channel they had.

- Form 385 is the Second Round Conflict form.

- Form 386 is the Third Round Election. As mentioned earlier, this is for stations who haven't received a post-transition channel yet, or who received a tentative post-transition channel which is in the VHF-low band (2 through 6) or has international coordination issues.

It is Form 386 that we're hoping to see from WHBF (and in Des Moines, WOI-TV as well).

Quote:

Bzzzt! Yes, it has been approved. But the answer is not easy. They (WBBM in Chicago) have agreed to take over WTTW's facilities. BUT...here's the rub. Even if you negotiated a VHF-HI channel, you can still file for a 3rd round since the original two for them are VHF-LO. The FCC will have to allow them to do that, since they opened up Pandora's box on people getting off of VHF-LO! That's the word I get from my sources, well versed on the matter.

In theory it looks like they could, but I doubt WBBM is going to give up a plum VHF-high assignment like Channel 11. Nothing can be ruled out, but I'd have to bet against it.

post #79 of 1645 Old 05-11-2006, 03:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

...but I doubt WBBM is going to give up a plum VHF-high assignment like Channel 11...

Don't you mean WTTW? They're the ones at channel 11 right now.

post #80 of 1645 Old 05-11-2006, 07:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That link is great for finding out about a station, but it hard to find out about a specific filing from it. If you go to this link:

http://svartifoss2.fcc.gov/prod/cdbs...d/app_sear.htm

... you'll go to the FCC's CDBS, which will let you search for any application a station has filed. For instance, if you type "IL" in the State field and select form "386" in the "Form Number" field, you can see every Form 386 from every Illinois television station which filed one. (As of the time of this post, there were none.)

I have actually had trouble with that link, where sometimes the products wouldn't come up. Maybe the FCC has fixed it, but I'll try it.

Quote:

In theory it looks like they could, but I doubt WBBM is going to give up a plum VHF-high assignment like Channel 11. Nothing can be ruled out, but I'd have to bet against it.

As they say, I have cards I ain't showin'. But: there's a channel 11 in Lafayette,
IN...a channel 10 60 miles southwest in Ottawa/LaSalle, IL...and they have to protect both. Notice all they can run is a scant 1.18 kw? That's anything but plum on channel 11. That's barely twice what a low power station will be!
Now, that application can also mean that they take over their facilities, but not necessarily broadcast on that channel after analog shutdown. (Wink, wink!)

And as for Bierboy picking up channel 4...uh, you've never experienced VHF-LO
when a thunderstorm is within 100 miles of the station! Or if E-skip is intense.
Or, when you turn on your cordless power tool charger. Or your neighbor
fires up his blender. Arrrrgh! (And that's 11 miles away from the 1,500 antenna
above what the FCC power normally allows!)

Gilbert
post #81 of 1645 Old 05-11-2006, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Don't you mean WTTW? They're the ones at channel 11 right now.

They are, but they negotiated with WBBM to help get the latter out of the low band (TV 2/DT 3 ), while WTTW gets a UHF.

As for WHBF: When I moved to Cedar Rapids, I was surprised at how bad my reception of KGAN analog Channel 2 was. I could use fully outstretched rabbit ears and get a signal no better than the e-skip signal I used to get from them in Ames every so often. Every so often it, too, would suffer from e-skip. Where from? I don't know ... Minneapolis? St. Louis? Granted, I'm 20-25 miles from the tower site, but Channels 7 and 9 were a lot clearer from the same place.

KGAN-DT was a godsend. They're on 51. As far as I know, they're staying on 51 and getting off 2 forever. Good riddance.

post #82 of 1645 Old 05-11-2006, 10:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

They are, but they negotiated with WBBM to help get the latter out of the low band (TV 2/DT 3 ), while WTTW gets a UHF.

As for WHBF: When I moved to Cedar Rapids, I was surprised at how bad my reception of KGAN analog Channel 2 was. I could use fully outstretched rabbit ears and get a signal no better than the e-skip signal I used to get from them in Ames every so often. Every so often it, too, would suffer from e-skip. Where from? I don't know ... Minneapolis? St. Louis? Granted, I'm 20-25 miles from the tower site, but Channels 7 and 9 were a lot clearer from the same place.

KGAN-DT was a godsend. They're on 51. As far as I know, they're staying on 51 and getting off 2 forever. Good riddance.

Quote:

...And as for Bierboy picking up channel 4...uh, you've never experienced VHF-LO when a thunderstorm is within 100 miles of the station! Or if E-skip is intense. Or, when you turn on your cordless power tool charger. Or your neighbor fires up his blender. Arrrrgh! (And that's 11 miles away from the 1,500 antenna above what the FCC power normally allows!)

I gotcha. I do hope WHBF goes higher to give us better reception. I e-mailed their CE, but haven't heard anything back from him.

And I realized the plans for the new tower SW of Aledo have been on the board for quite awhile. After you guys mentioned them, I remembered stumbling across that map quite awhile ago. I was wondering what they were gonna do there. I would assume KLJB would joing the CW from that tower, which would be a shame for me (antenna pointing-wise).

post #83 of 1645 Old 05-12-2006, 12:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Well, we'll just keep watching. Again, they have until May 26 to file the third round election form. Just like the first round, they're likely to come in agonizingly slowly. I just did a nationwide search, didn't even bother to put in a callsign or even a state, and yet only one station came up as having filed Form 386.

post #84 of 1645 Old 05-12-2006, 05:46 PM

Hi all..Great forum! Having fun getting educated. I (as you can tell by the name) am in the market for a new plasma. Question: I plan on getting a set that supports an ATSC tuner. What MPEG version (2 or 4) must my set have for the OTA channels in the QC area..OR Does it even matter?

Thx!
post #85 of 1645 Old 05-12-2006, 05:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newplasmasoon View Post

Hi all..Great forum! Having fun getting educated. I (as you can tell by the name) am in the market for a new plasma. Question: I plan on getting a set that supports an ATSC tuner. What MPEG version (2 or 4) must my set have for the OTA channels in the QC area..OR Does it even matter?

Thx!

Welcome to the thread! I have an older Samsung SIR-T151 HD tuner that does just fine bringing in all the OTA HD signals in the Quad-Cities. I don't know much about that specific technology, but if MPEG 2 is the older, than I'd say it really doesn't matter. Let us know when you get your new plasma

post #86 of 1645 Old 05-12-2006, 09:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newplasmasoon View Post

Thx!

Hi Plasmasoondude,

OTA broadcast uses MPEG-2, while DirecTV and Dish Network use MPEG-4.
Broadcast will always be MPEG-2, unless there's another upgrade in the years to come.

Gilbert
post #87 of 1645 Old 05-13-2006, 06:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hi Plasmasoondude,

OTA broadcast uses MPEG-2, while DirecTV and Dish Network use MPEG-4.
Broadcast will always be MPEG-2, unless there's another upgrade in the years to come.

Gilbert....is Cable HD MPEG-2 also? I assume it is, but then, I'm a bald, dumb user

post #88 of 1645 Old 05-13-2006, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Gilbert....is Cable HD MPEG-2 also? I assume it is, but then, I'm a bald, dumb user

Dear Bald dumb user,

The answer is...both MPEG-2 and 4!

http://www.multichannel.com/article/...ay=Top+Stories

Also, it should be noted that DirecTV and DISH are using both MPEG-2 and 4
but are transitioning to 4 ASAP. Comcast and others will likely do the same.

Gilbert
post #89 of 1645 Old 05-14-2006, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks. Now I don't feel quite so dumb....though I'm still bald as ever!

post #90 of 1645 Old 05-15-2006, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Response today from WHBF's Chief Engineer on whether their future DT channel designation might go UHF rather than back to 4...
Quote:

This is still in the process of being negotiated by our corporate office. I do not have any information to give you at this time. When the information becomes available, I will be glad to pass it along.

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page