post #1621 of 1645 Old 03-06-2013, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfrahm View Post

First time posting, so be kind. smile.gif We have an OTA dvr that was, up until a couple of weeks ago receiving TV Guide On Screen info 7 days out for the guide. I was trying to find which local station sends the info so I could email to check on it. I wasn't sure if it's something that's being phased out or what, but the family has noticed. Thanks for any help.

Welcome to the board! As I recall (when I used the Sony OTA DVR many years ago), it was the local PBS station that provided the "connection" for the TV Guide info. That would be WQPT, but I'm unsure that is still the case. You might give them a shout to see if that's still true...

Mediacom Digital Cable and OTA HD
Panny TC-P55GT50 -- Denon AVR-1713 -- TiVo Premiere XL4 -- Sony BDP-S5100 -- SlingBox 350 -- Polk 5.1 Speakers -- Logitech Harmony One
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1622 of 1645 Old 03-07-2013, 07:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA Send a message via Yahoo to Trip in VA
TVGOS is being ended by 4/1/13. Rovi has ended the service in many areas early.

- Trip

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

post #1623 of 1645 Old 03-10-2013, 06:02 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
RabbitEars.info has more about it, but the TV GOS service is being phased out OTA and switching to Internet only.

Now with 100% more Amateur Extra Class privileges!
post #1624 of 1645 Old 06-12-2013, 07:29 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Noticed there is now a 6.3 broadcasting nothing there except for an animated logo saying KWQC 6.3

Anyone know if something of more interest is going to go there and if so what it might be.

Also noticed a week or so agao they went off the air over night- perhaps to add this.
post #1625 of 1645 Old 06-13-2013, 12:16 PM

On their web site
"At this point, we are just testing equipment, but hope to make an official announcement about the programs you will be able to watch in the very near future.

"

Bob 61231
post #1626 of 1645 Old 06-19-2013, 07:27 PM

I was watching the hockey game on Directv and KWQC. THe signal froze on both boxes. I switched to 6-1 using my OTA tuner. Sucks for the fans that don't have OTA.

Bob 61231
post #1627 of 1645 Old 06-19-2013, 07:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

No problems with Mediacom....once they finally restored a two hour outage...

Panny TC-P55GT50 -- Denon AVR-1713 -- TiVo Premiere XL4 -- Sony BDP-S5100 -- SlingBox 350 -- Polk 5.1 Speakers -- Logitech Harmony One
post #1628 of 1645 Old 08-08-2013, 05:41 PM

I see the 6-3 test pattern again. Any news?

Bob 61231
post #1629 of 1645 Old 08-08-2013, 05:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yeah I just tuned it in too. From the message on the screen it would seem they'll be some programming there "soon." Weird overlay though with 6-2 underneath it.

post #1630 of 1645 Old 08-27-2013, 10:12 AM

6.3 They are showing a web address. "www.cozitv.com" MagnumPI, Charlies Angels, Bionic Woman, $6000000 Man etc.
NBCUniversal Media,

Bob 61231
post #1631 of 1645 Old 12-21-2013, 08:59 AM

It's very quiet in here... Last Sunday I set up a 4-bay antenna to watch an out of market game (Rams) on KYOU in Ottumwa. Some body was moving that day. Every time an old Ford pickup went by, my picture would go crazy. First time that ever happened.

Bob 61231
post #1632 of 1645 Old 12-21-2013, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Faulty ignition system putting out RFI.
post #1633 of 1645 Old 02-02-2014, 04:56 PM

Hi, everybody, long time no see.

Some updates regarding the Quad Cities TV market:

-WQPT is FINALLY broadcasting in FULL HD on channel 24.1 (Mediacom channel 710). Channel 24.2 (Mediacom channel 116) is still MHz worldview in the traditional 480i 4:3 SD format. I just noticed this yesterday (Saturday February 1, 2014) and was quite impressed and excited with the change.

-WHBF had switched its subchannel affiliation on channel 4.2 (Mediacom channel 105) from Retro Television Network (RTV) to Live Well Network (LWN) about two years ago, on January 16, 2012. Although LWN originates as a 720p 16:9 HDTV operation, WHBF carried LWN in a 16:9 letterbox format, while preserving bandwidth for its digital channel by keeping 4.2 in the traditional 480i 4:3 SD format. Most video content seen on 4.2 during the LWN era was in the letterbox format, both locally produced spots and news updates, and national LWN content, with occasional 480i 4:3 locally produced content being seen as well. However, two years later, on January 16, 2014, they dropped the Live Well Network and now there is no subchannel 4.2 anymore. Perhaps this is so there will be better HD video and DD 5.1 audio quality on channel 4.1 (Mediacom channel 704)??

-WBQD-LP, now-former analog channel 26, which had a construction permit to build digital facilities on UHF channel 14 at the former WQPT/Black Hawk College transmitter site (where their analog signal was transmitted from), had ceased broadcasting in December 2011. In June 2013, the FCC officially cancelled the license of WBQD-LP after being off the air for more than a year. As of December 2011, WQAD, which had previously been simulcasting WBQD on channel 8.3, began doing the "MYNetworkTV" affiliation outright on channel 8.3, rebranding it as "My TV 8.3" instead of WBQD's previous "My TV 16." The "My TV 8.3" branding and affiliation with "MyNetworkTV" continues to this day on 8.3, still in 480i 4:3 standard definition, while many other TV markets get the MyNetworkTV service in HDTV. Also, Mediacom has since moved the MNTV affiliation from channel 16 to channel 3, while moving WHBF (non-HD) from channel 3 to channel 4 and Shop NBC has since moved from channel 4 to channel 2, with C-Span (the most recent former occupant of channel 2) going digital-only, moving to channel 96 for customers with digital adapters and digital or HD set-top boxes and channel 101.3 for customers with digital TV sets with built-in digital tuners.

-In 2012, Grant Broadcasting added the "Me-TV" classic television network to both KGCW 26.3 and KLJB 18.3. "This TV" continues on KGCW 26.2, however, it was simulcast on KLJB 18.3 prior to the debut of the local "Me-TV" affiliation.

-In late August or early September 2013, KWQC debuted the Quad Cities' affiliation of NBC Universal's "Cozi TV" network; another classic programming network, on channel 6.3 (Mediacom channel 106). However, unlike the other classic programming networks (Me-TV, Retro Televison Network, This TV, Antenna TV, etc.), "Cozi TV" is in widescreen SD, 480i resoultion but with the 16:9 screen size. KWQC's 24-7 Weather Channel on 6.2 transitioned to widescreen SD (480i 16:9) from normal SD (480i 4:3) back in Autumn 2011. This means that all three of KWQC's subchannels are now in the 16:9 widescreen format, with 6.1 being NBC-HD (1080i 16:9), and the other two subchannels being 480i 16:9 as mentioned above. Most recently, I have also noticed that the 480i 4:3 SD rebroadcast of KWQC on mediacom analog channel 6 and digital channel 90.7 (channel 6 with digital adapters and digital and HD set-top boxes) is also in a letterbox format instead of being center-cut like it used to be. This is probably a good thing since many TV stations (including KWQC) don't properly centercut a lot of their logos and other video material for non-HD/widescreen viewers anymore nowadays.

-During the Fall of 2012, Mediacom moved WHBF from channel 3 to channel 4 and WHBF-HD from channel 703 to channel 704 (HD set-top boxes only). Six months earlier (Spring 2012), the exact same thing was done regarding KWQC, with KWQC going from channel 5 to channel 6 (swapping channel allocations with QVC), and KWQC-HD going from channel 705 to channel 706 (again, HD set-top boxes only). QAM entries for digital TV sets are likely the same as before.

-The mysterious "Channel 53" TV station, licensed to Galesburg, is now on the air, having signed on in August 2012. The station's callsign is "WMWC-TV" and is now the Quad Cities' affiliate of TBN (Trinity Broadcasting Network). Northwest Televison, the original owners of the station, sold WMWC outright to the TBN network in December 2012 after 4 months as a mere affiliate of the religious broadcasting network. WMWC currently broadcasts its digital signal OTA on VHF channel 8 (WQAD's former analog allocation) but remaps to virtual channel 53 via PSIP, with only the main channel 53.1 so far, in the 480i 4:3 SD format, and no subchannels yet. WMWC is carried on Mediacom channels 17 (analog and digital adapters/HD set-top boxes) and 79.3 (digital; QAM tuners). Unlike the other QC local stations, WMWC's PSIP, EPG, and virtual channel data is NOT retransmitted by Mediacom to viewers with QAM tuners, so it remains displayed on its physical cable channel 79.3, rather than being displayed as 53.1 like it is over-the-air. The exact same thing is true for IPTV (Iowa Public Television) and its subchannel services. WMWC's transmitter is in orion and uses the exact same antenna for VHF channel 8 that WQAD's analog transmitter used prior to June 12, 2009. I still don't know if the station was to sign on before the DTV transition as analog only or digital only on UHF channel 53, but it was to have flash-cut to digital on VHF channel 8 on June 12, 2009, after the shutdown of WQAD's analog transmitter.

The one piece of information above that excites me the most is naturally the completion of WQPT's conversion to HDTV!! It's about time this finally happened. I had long since been wondering if the station was ever going to be in HD. I had seen programming on 24.1 either in the pillarboxed format for non-HD or widescreen programs or the windowbox (bars on all sides of the screen) for widescreen/HD programs. Also, local station programs and spots/promos were even in the windowbox format so you could easily tell they were PRODUCED in HD or some sort of widescreen format. I wonder if this doesn't have something to do with Fusion Communications in Davenport; the firm they outsourced their Master Control Operations to a few years ago? Perhaps WQPT, after moving to WIU-QC, was able to produce content in HD but Fusion hadn't had the HD Master Control equipment to transmit it over-the-air to viewers until just a couple of days or so ago? Who knows? But either way, let's give WQPT a big round of applause and welcome them aboard to the world of HD broadcasting!! I would also encourage those viewers who may have abandoned watching WQPT due to non-HD content to try switching back over and begin supporting your local Quad Cities PBS station again. WQPT really is a valuable resource to the Quad Cities and always has been since its initial sign-on in November 1983.
post #1634 of 1645 Old 02-02-2014, 05:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the updates. I tuned in WQPT HD (710 on Mediacom) just now and they were doing a local cut-in that was just horrible quality....letter boxed and pillar boxed in SD. But when they went back to Nova, it was HD. About freakin' time. However as I check their programming lineup it's woefully pitiful compared to Iowa PBS. And I would certainly hope they add local HD capability...and they still put their logo bug inset bottom right placed where SD can pick it up....ugh. Hope they improve it soon.

post #1635 of 1645 Old 04-20-2014, 11:45 PM

Does anyone have any skinny on what is going on at KGCW? I assumed when I started missing recordings off 26.3 (RF 41) it was due to atmospheric conditions (I am after all in Iowa City) but realized more recently 6 (36) and 8 (38) are coming in fine. I saw a post on KLJB's Facebook saying they are having techincal difficulties. It must be pretty serious to be down almost a week.
post #1636 of 1645 Old 04-30-2014, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickenmcsluggets View Post

Anybody notice WQAD and KWQC going wonky in Davenport ever since the Super Bowl? I've had NO problems getting these in the past OTA, and all of a sudden I have problems. My roof-mounted antenna is secure as are the connections.
Hey all, bumped this post because in the last few weeks I noticed that my reception has inverted. I used to be able to get 4.1 beautifully with a simple Leaf in my garage attic and no 6.1. Now I barely get 4.1 (unwatchable) and 6.1 is in focus most of the time. Very strange. Its an amp'd leaf with a 7777 IIRC.

Anyway, actually came to poke around a bit. Instead of trolling through 55 pages I'll bump the first two I ran across. The Channel Masters 4221 and 4228. What difference is being seen between them? What's being run for multi-directional? I've got to get something setup for some visiting relatives in a couple of weeks but my roof is easily accessible with an awesome on-hill view of the SE so install should be easy. Even already have coax up there for the days when I had satellite.

Lastly, anyone ever able to get WGN out of Chicago? That would be Nirvana. I miss my Skilling LOL

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Should have mentioned I'm in the Davenport/Bettendorf area.
post #1637 of 1645 Old 05-03-2014, 02:20 AM

The local "MyNetworkTV" affiliate in the Quad Cities, WQAD-DT3 ("My TV 8-3"), is now broadcasting in high-definition. This means that the Quad Cities television market now has all of the major OTA broadcast networks (ABC, CBS, The CW, Fox, MyNetworkTV, NBC, and PBS) in HDTV on a local affiliate. I first noticed "My TV 8-3" broadcasting in HDTV on Tuesday April 22, 2014 (about a week and a half prior to this post).

I really am quite pleasantly surprised that WQAD decided to do this. I never imagined that they would be willing to use up nearly all of the available bitrate/bandwidth on their digital transmitter to squeeze out a second HD subchannel. Prior to April 22, 2014 (Earth Day 2014), WQAD has always had its primary ABC affiliation (main/traditional service) in 720p HDTV on 8.1, Antenna TV (formerly their local weather channel) in regular SD (480i 4:3) on 8.2, and the simulcast of low-powered MyNetworkTV affiliate WBQD-LP (which later took over the MNTV affiliation after WBQD's demise in December 2011) on 8.3 in regular SD. I had long since wondered if we were ever going to have a local MNTV affiliate in HD; in fact, I had pretty much doubted it for the longest time because of the perceived bandwidth issues.

It is technologically possible, however, to have two 720p HD subchannels in the same channel/bandwidth using the ATSC digital TV system. Not only that, but apparently one additional SD subchannel can also be squeezed in as WQAD-DT2 (channel 8.2) still continues to air "Antenna TV" in the regular 480i 4:3 SD format. So, here's how it shakes out:

-WQAD-DT channel 8.1 is ABC HD in 720p 16:9 HDTV (WQAD's main/traditional service)
-WQAD-DT2 channel 8.2 is Antenna TV in 480i 4:3 SDTV
-WQAD-DT3 channel 8.3 is MyNetworkTV in 720p 16:9 HDTV

As I already posted, I was quite surprised that WQAD-TV added a second HD subchannel by converting 8.3 from 480i 4:3 SD to 720p 16:9 HD. I always figured that they may someday convert 8.3, at best, to maybe widescreen SD (480i 16:9), which is the format KWQC uses on its "24-7 Weather Channel" on 6.2 and "Cozi TV" on 6.3. WHOI-TV in Peoria has its main/ABC affiliation in the standard 720p HD format on channel 19.1 and on 19.2 is their subchannel-only CW affiliation, which started out in the regular SD format but, last time I checked, was in the widescreen SD format.

One more oddity that I would like to quickly make note of exists in downstate Illinois, in the Springfield-Decatur-Champaign TV market. Champaign-based and licensed WCIA channel 3 (CBS) and Springfield-licensed WCIX (formerly WCFN) channel 49 (MyNetworkTV) engage in a simulcasting scheme that involves "mirrorcasting" each other's signals on their digital subchannels. For instance, WCIA has its main/CBS affiliation on channel 3.1 in 1080i 16:9 HDTV and simulcasts WCIX (MNTV affiliation) in 480i 16:9 SDTV on channel 3.2. Likewise, WCIX has its main/MyNetworkTV affiliation in 480i 16:9 SDTV on channel 49.1 and simulcasts WCIA (CBS affiliation) in 1080i 16:9 HDTV on channel 49.2. Both stations are owned and operated by Nexstar Broadcasting Group.

So, if anybody in the QCA and surrounding areas wants to watch MNTV in HD, it's now available locally on WQAD channel 8.3 OTA and channel 8.3 on Mediacom using a built-in QAM tuner. Unfortunately, however, Mediacom doesn't appear to have a cable-box channel assignment for "My TV 8-3" yet. I have gone through all the HD channels on the set-top box on the main upstairs HDTV set and the "My TV 8-3" HDTV feed is nowhere to be found; I can only get it in a 480i 4:3 SD format with 16:9 letterbox on channel 3. I effectively have to get my MNTV HD fix on the downstairs HDTV set, which is hooked to cable but using the built-in QAM tuner. Another analog TV set downstairs has an ATSC DTV converter box for OTA and now receives 8.3 in a letterbox just like all other HD/widescreen channels (8.3 used to look like a normal 4:3 picture on this particular TV set before the HD upgrade to channel 8.3 was made). Come on, Mediacom, get the ball rolling and find a channel assignment for "My TV 8-3" on your HD set-top boxes!!

Once again, "My TV 8-3" is currently available in 480i 4:3 SD with 16:9 letterbox on Mediacom analog channel 3 and digital channel 79.7 (channel 3 with digital and HD set-top boxes and digital adapters) and in HD on Mediacom digital channel 8.3 (QAM tuners only). It's also available in HD OTA on digital channel 8.3.
post #1638 of 1645 Old 05-03-2014, 11:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by QCA USA 1 View Post

One more oddity that I would like to quickly make note of exists in downstate Illinois, in the Springfield-Decatur-Champaign TV market. Champaign-based and licensed WCIA channel 3 (CBS) and Springfield-licensed WCIX (formerly WCFN) channel 49 (MyNetworkTV) engage in a simulcasting scheme that involves "mirrorcasting" each other's signals on their digital subchannels. For instance, WCIA has its main/CBS affiliation on channel 3.1 in 1080i 16:9 HDTV and simulcasts WCIX (MNTV affiliation) in 480i 16:9 SDTV on channel 3.2. Likewise, WCIX has its main/MyNetworkTV affiliation in 480i 16:9 SDTV on channel 49.1 and simulcasts WCIA (CBS affiliation) in 1080i 16:9 HDTV on channel 49.2. Both stations are owned and operated by Nexstar Broadcasting Group.

It has to do with each station not getting a good enough signal in the other city. So they do it that way
Here in Minneapolis FOX KMSP 9 went back to its VHF spot at the DTV conversion. DUe to the FCC and their "wisdom" on VHF power outputs the signal didnt go as far as they wanted. So they put a SD version as the -2 on co-owned My29 (WFTC). So on a scan RF9 gives you 9-1 FOX HD and 29-2 MySD. RF29 gives you 29-1 My HD, -2 Fox SD (and Bounce on -3 Movies on -4)
post #1639 of 1645 Old 05-24-2014, 04:15 PM

Thanks for the insight, unclehonkey. Now that I come to think of it, our local CW affiliate, KGCW (channel 26), is simulcast on KLJB-DT2 (channel 18.2). This is because KGCW's analog signal never reached the Quad Cities while its digital signal actually does. KGCW is licensed to Burlington, Iowa, which is located at least 60 air miles or more southwest of the Quad Cities. KGCW still benefits from having its signal simulcast on KLJB 18.2 in areas north and east of the Quad Cities, where digital channel 26 (RF channel 41) cannot reach due to the need to protect Freeport-licensed WIFR (Rockford, IL) which also broadcasts on UHF channel 41.
post #1640 of 1645 Old 05-24-2014, 04:55 PM

The HD version of WQAD-DT3 ("My TV 8-3") will be added to Mediacom's lineup for all cable customers, including those with HD set-top boxes, on June 5, 2014. The HD set-top box channel assignment will be 716 while the QAM channel will be 79.10 (it's currently 93.10; remapping to virtual channel 8.3).

In addition, on May 28 (right after the Memorial Day Holiday), a few more channel moves are expected:

-WGN America (non-HD) is set to move from channel 21 to channel 77
-Univision is set to move from channel 20 to channel 76
-Public Access channel 19 is set to move from channel 19 to channel 11

For those customers with digital and HD set-top boxes and digital adapters, the May 28 channel lineup changes listed above are precise. However, I wonder if the QAM channels for those stations are changing or not? I'm guessing not but I wouldn't know for sure. Also, since all cable channels above channel 22 are digital-only as of March 2012, it can easily be assumed that there will no longer be an analog version of WGN or Univision after the May 28 channel lineup changes. I am not sure about the public access station, however, because it will be on channel 11 so there's a chance that might still be in analog on channel 11 but I cannot verify this. The public access station is currently analog channel 19, digital channel 19 with digital adapters and digital and HD set-top boxes, and digital channel 97.21 with QAM tuners.

As far as the HDTV feed of WQAD-DT3 is concerned, I am glad they (Mediacom) are finally doing something to make it available to all customers, regardless of whether or not they have an HD set-top box. Most programming on "My TV 8-3" is now in high-definition, including MyNetworkTV network programming, many of the syndicated programs aired by the digital subchannel-only station, and selected Chicago Cubs and White Sox baseball games (produced by WCIU-TV Chicago and branded as "WGN Sports on the U") are aired in the HD format. Also, I believe that on Saturdays during the Fall, college football games produced by "ESPN Plus" are also aired on "My TV 8-3" so hopefully they will be broadcast in HDTV by WQAD-DT3 this coming Autumn (2014).
post #1641 of 1645 Old 06-24-2014, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by QCA USA 1 View Post
...As far as the HDTV feed of WQAD-DT3 is concerned, I am glad they (Mediacom) are finally doing something to make it available to all customers, regardless of whether or not they have an HD set-top box. Most programming on "My TV 8-3" is now in high-definition, including MyNetworkTV network programming, many of the syndicated programs aired by the digital subchannel-only station, and selected Chicago Cubs and White Sox baseball games (produced by WCIU-TV Chicago and branded as "WGN Sports on the U") are aired in the HD format. Also, I believe that on Saturdays during the Fall, college football games produced by "ESPN Plus" are also aired on "My TV 8-3" so hopefully they will be broadcast in HDTV by WQAD-DT3 this coming Autumn (2014).
They really blow on this; last night's Cubs game was joined late and was a very crappy SD pillar-boxed feed. Nearly unwatchable...I'd like to know the reason why they can air scripted shows in HD, but not sports.

Last edited by bierboy; 06-24-2014 at 10:40 AM.
post #1642 of 1645 Old 06-28-2014, 06:38 PM

WQAD-DT3 Sports (non-HD)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bierboy View Post
They really blow on this; last night's Cubs game was joined late and was a very crappy SD pillar-boxed feed. Nearly unwatchable...I'd like to know the reason why they can air scripted shows in HD, but not sports.

I don't know. They (WQAD-DT3) did air one game in HD back in May. It was a Cubs vs. Cardinals game at Bush Stadium in St. Louis and I distinctly remember this as the Cubs started out winning but the Cardinals came back to win the game later that night. The night was Tuesday May 13, and it was a real disappointment to see the Cubs lose what started out to be a promising game for them. The final score was St. Louis Cardinals 4, Chicago Cubs 3.

Every WCIU-originated baseball game I have seen both before and after May 13, on the other hand, whether it be a Cubs game or a White Sox game, has been in pillar-boxed SD on WQAD-DT3. Now I know that WCIU-HD channel 26.1 produces the games live in the 720p HDTV format. And WQAD-DT3 airs MNTV programs in HD. In fact, most of WQAD-DT3's syndicated programs are in HD, WQAD's 6 pm newscasts (5 pm on Sundays) are rebroadcast at 9 pm in HD (a carryover from the old WBQD-LP days), the 5 to 7 am block of WQAD's "Good Morning Quad Cities" is rebroadcast in HD from 7 to 9 am weekdays (a new tradition NOT carried over from WBQD), many locally produced commercials, promos, PSA's, and "My TV 8-3" station ID's are in HD, movies on the weekends and during weekend prime-time hours when MNTV does not air any network programming are in HD, and even a handful of the infomercials that air during the overnight hours are in HD as well.

So the main question now is; Why doesn't "My TV 8-3" air sports in HD when virtually everything else on their schedule is in HD?

Another question I have is; Why did WQAD-DT3 air one game in the widescreen/HD format back on May 13 (before Mediacom HD cable box viewers could even pick it up on their HD cable boxes) but none of the games before and after May 13 have been in HD?

One more question and this is perhaps the ultimate question; Will WQAD-DT3 be airing sports in HD in the future? (I would certainly hope so)

And yes, there was the Cubs game on Monday June 23 that was joined-in-progress late. The regular MNTV programming was on up until almost 8 pm or so.

I suppose if this SD sports situation continues, then perhaps the next step would be for WQAD-DT3 viewers to start firing off emails, phone calls, letters via U.S. mail, etc., to WQAD, to inquire about how soon we will finally see sports programming in HD on the subchannel. I am hoping that they are working on it and that eventually we will have sports broadcasts in HD on "My TV 8-3." If you do contact them, be nice and professional about it when requesting for sports programming to be in HDTV on WQAD-DT3. It would sure be nice to see college football games in HD on "My TV 8-3" this coming fall as well.
post #1643 of 1645 Old 07-02-2014, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

And...once again,WQAD-DT3 is airing a Cubs broadcast tonight in ****** SD....

post #1644 of 1645 Old 08-21-2014, 10:58 PM

WQAD-DT3 Sports (Update)

Okay, since early July, two more Cubs games (via WCIU-TV) have aired on "My TV 8-3" (Mediacom channel 716/8.3 QAM & channel 8.3 ATSC OTA). One game was a Cubs vs. Cardinals game at Wrigley Field in Chicago on Sunday July 27, 2014. Despite the fact that the Cubs lost this game in a sad, pathetic way (Cubs gave up only one run to the Cardinals at the top of the first inning, then nobody scored anything after that; final score, Cardinals 1, Cubs 0), this game was actually telecast on WQAD-DT3 in HDTV and the picture quality looked excellent!! So despite the fact that the Cubs lost this game, I was still glad to see that "My TV 8-3" was once again airing a sports telecast in HD. I had thought and hoped that this changeover to airing Chicago Baseball and/or other sports telecasts in HD on WQAD-DT3 was going to be permanent once and for all....

...That is, until I saw the Cubs vs. (San Francisco) Giants game telecast from Wrigley Field on WQAD-DT3 on the evening of Wednesday August 20, 2014. The Cubs did end up losing this game as well and the final score was Giants 8, Cubs 3. However, the Cubs losing this game was (unfortunately) far from being the only disappointment about this particular game. WQAD-DT3 had let my family (Cubs fans as well) and me down in at least two different ways: First of all, at the top of the 7:00 PM (CDT) hour, the screen was black with no video or audio whatsoever. A couple of minutes later, a commercial break did air and then WQAD-DT3 went back to black and no audio. A couple of minutes later, they went to an HD computer generated ID still (often referred to by television professionals as an ESS or "Electronic Still Store") which consisted of a slightly out-of-date "My TV 8.3" logo (its logo and branding are now "My TV 8-3" (eight dash three nowadays, and no longer its original eight point three branding from 2012 after WBQD went defunct)) with legal text ID that read "WQAD-TV Moline | Davenport | Quad Cities" just below the two-year old "My TV 8.3" logo. For the first several seconds to minute or so, there was no audio accompanied with the legal ID still. Then, eventually, the audio from the Cubs/Giants WCIU-TV telecast cut-in, accompanying the ID still for a few more seconds before WQAD-DT3 finally cut from the ID still video to the video of the WCIU-TV telecast. And, next of all, much to our disappointment, this game was NOT in HD either. Nope, it was back to pillarboxed SD once again for Wednesday night's Cubs/Giants game. To make matters even worse, there were various times throughout the game where the picture would glitch out (to black) and back in again (no pixellation was noticed) and on occasion, even the audio would temporarily cut out with the video.

It can feel like quite the letdown (or the one step forward and two steps back effect) when these kinds of things happen in life, even when it includes a local TV station that you watch that supposedly completed its upgrade to HD about four months ago (April 22, 2014) but yet they somehow go back and forth between being able to air certain programs (like sports telecasts, etc.) in HD part of the time, yet not all of the time, which should be the goal of WQAD-TV for its third digital subchannel station, even if it's not anywhere near being the most watched local outlet/network affiliate in the Quad Cities (I'd be willing to bet WQAD-DT3 is among the least watched of all the local broadcast stations, if not the very least watched of all of them, if you count digital subchannels in addition to the main/primary channels (most of which were carried over to the main (DT1/-1/.1) digital subchannels into the digital era from their former analog channels in the analog era)).

I am beginning to wonder if their (WQAD's) Master Control equipment isn't all tied up whenever the baseball games air on weeknights. Or, at least all their HD equipment/satellite receivers (this might require them to air the sports telecasts in SD instead of HD on weeknights). Think about it; channel 8-1 airs ABC-HD programming every night of the week from 7 to 10 pm (6 to 10 pm on Sundays) and on weeknights, channel 8-3 normally airs MNTV-HD programming weeknights only from 7 to 9 pm (MNTV doesn't air any programming on weekends, thus rendering its affiliates as de facto Independent Stations all weekend long and during all other times of the day outside of the aforementioned two-hour prime-time slot on weeknights). However, MNTV requires its affiliates to air MNTV prime-time programming on a "same-day" basis if they need to delay the network programming because of local programming, sports, or other situations that would require the MNTV affiliated station to pre-empt MNTV prime-time programming; WQAD-DT3 cannot delay the MNTV programming until another broadcast day or the following weekend like network TV affiliated stations used to do in the past. So, without knowing anything for sure, I am guessing that WQAD-TV has its HD satellite receivers tied up with ABC-HD for channel 8-1, recording MNTV-HD for channel 8-3, plus they might be using other HD receivers to record some of the syndicated programming for both 8-1 and 8-3 in the HD format during this time frame, and maybe, perhaps maybe, this means they're "forced" to air the sports telecasts in pillarboxed SD (it might be coming from an SD satellite receiver, and not an HD satellite receiver)?? Who knows for sure?? I guess if we want answers, then the next step would be to contact WQAD via any means (U.S. Mail/telephone/e-mail/social media/etc.) and find out what's going on with the sports telecasts. Remember, sports telecasts will draw in far more viewers than infomercials will, even though the station makes $$$ off of infomercials as well (this is the outrageous part right here; some, but not all, of the infomercials that air on WQAD-DT3 are actually in HD!!! Yet, all but two of the sports telecasts weren't!!!)

One more thing, although two of the baseball games this baseball season (2014) were in HD on WQAD-DT3, one of them was actually a prime-time telecast on a Tuesday evening. The Cubs vs. Cardinals game in St. Louis on the evening of Tuesday, May 13, 2014 was in HD and the Cubs vs. Cardinals game at Chicago/Wrigley Field on the afternoon of Sunday, July 27, 2014 was also in HD. Sadly, the Cubs lost both of these games, but at least it was nice to see them telecast in HD. The HD satellite receivers/equipment theory still doesn't explain why the one prime-time game back in May was in HD either.
post #1645 of 1645 Old 09-03-2014, 06:09 PM

9/3/2014

Well, WQAD-DT3 is airing yet another baseball game tonight in pillar-boxed SD (not HD). This game is another WCIU telecast and is a Chicago White Sox vs. Minnesota Twins game at Target Field in Minneapolis, Minnesota.

On the other hand, last Thursday night (8/28/2014), WQAD-DT3 aired a different sports telecast and it was in HDTV. Last Thursday, the "Iowa Ag Bowl" took place in Parkersburg, Iowa, and it was a High-School football game between the Aplington-Parkersburg Falcons (Home Team) and the Dike-New Hartford Wolverines (Visiting Team). The final score of that game was Dike-New Hartford 27, Aplington-Parkersburg 7. This game was also aired during prime-time (beginning at 7 pm local time) when WQAD-DT3 would need to record their regular MNTV prime-time programs for playback later that evening. I don't know which station or production company originated the telecast of last Thursday's "Iowa Ag Bowl" game but "My TV 8-3" did manage to air it in HD and it looked pretty decent as well. Both Dike-New Hartford and Aplington-Parkersburg are located west of Waterloo-Cedar Falls in north-central Iowa.

This is even more ironic yet. WQAD-DT3 appears to air other sports telecasts in HD but not WCIU-produced sports telecasts (unless they air outside of prime-time hours or some other unknown variation). Yet the "Iowa Ag Bowl" aired in HD and that was during the prime-time hours.

The WQAD-DT3 sports flip-flop from HD to SD and back remains a mystery.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page