Davenport, IA - HDTV - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1647 Old 03-01-2006, 04:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12

OK folks....the Quad-Cities now has its own thread. This is dedicated to HD information (both OTA and cable) for our specific market including WHBF (CBS HD), KWQC (NBC HD), WQAD (ABC HD), KLJB (Fox HD), WQPT (PBS SD), KGCW (CW SD), KWKB (CW HD) and some of the other stations that filter into the metro area. Enjoy & post away!

Mediacom Digital Cable and OTA HD
Panny TC-P55GT50 -- Denon AVR-1713 -- TiVo Premiere XL4 -- Sony BDP-S5100 -- SlingBox 350 -- Polk 5.1 Speakers -- Logitech Harmony One
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 1647 Old 03-01-2006, 04:42 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi!! I live in Dubuque and get both ADIs; Quad Cities and Cedar Rapids(also, Madison). But, think it is a great idea to split the thread. Good Job!!! Will follow both threads.
I get WHBF very well, but the Orian stations only in the Summer when the signals are good. Wish I could figure out a way to get WQAD, KWQC and KLJB better. I have the top Winegar Yagi antenna, CM7775 preamp, with antenna mounted about 15' off ground. Good site view to the Southeast. Any suggestions??? Is there a better antenna?? Do I need more height? Or, are the stations jut too far away!!
post #3 of 1647 Old 03-01-2006, 04:43 PM

Liked: 11
Thanks Bierboy. Now off to update my bookmarks...
post #4 of 1647 Old 03-01-2006, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommymack View Post

Hi!! I live in Dubuque and get both ADIs; Quad Cities and Cedar Rapids(also, Madison). But, think it is a great idea to split the thread. Good Job!!! Will follow both threads.
I get WHBF very well, but the Orian stations only in the Summer when the signals are good. Wish I could figure out a way to get WQAD, KWQC and KLJB better. I have the top Winegar Yagi antenna, CM7775 preamp, with antenna mounted about 15' off ground. Good site view to the Southeast. Any suggestions??? Is there a better antenna?? Do I need more height? Or, are the stations jut too far away!!

Last summer I put a CM4228 on top of my chimney about 25' up and at night I could get the CR stations real good. If I recall correctly they are 100 miles away from me. So I would strongly suggest that antenna. But maybe before you do that, try to get the antenna higher yet. I read somewhere on the forum that height is very important.

jc
post #5 of 1647 Old 03-01-2006, 08:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I concur with JC...you already have a preamp, which is the first thing I would suggest from that distance. And the CM 4228 would be your best bet I think...possibly more height if you could manage that. Are on higher ground? What's the terrain and landscape like where you live?

Panny TC-P55GT50 -- Denon AVR-1713 -- TiVo Premiere XL4 -- Sony BDP-S5100 -- SlingBox 350 -- Polk 5.1 Speakers -- Logitech Harmony One
post #6 of 1647 Old 03-02-2006, 08:27 AM

*sigh* Two threads to follow now. I'm in coralville and get both sets of stations fine, however, I pretty much leave the antenna pointed at the QCA. I had a sammy t-151 and now I have a 942 from Dish. I don't recall the sammy having problems with guide info from WQAD and I know it works fine for the 942. I snag Lost each wednesday.
post #7 of 1647 Old 03-02-2006, 08:47 AM

Anyone else getting audio popping in and out. I guess cutting out? Just split seconds here and there but it is really getting to me.

Media Com says to call them when it is happening...I guess so they can blame the feed.

Also has anyone noticed that on some braodcasts only the commercials come in on 5.1?

On a good note....you gotta love the quality of Iowa Public TV....just caught the Paul McCartney special the other night - it was great.

Lee
post #8 of 1647 Old 03-02-2006, 10:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdelin View Post

*sigh* Two threads to follow now. I'm in coralville and get both sets of stations fine, however, I pretty much leave the antenna pointed at the QCA. I had a sammy t-151 and now I have a 942 from Dish. I don't recall the sammy having problems with guide info from WQAD and I know it works fine for the 942. I snag Lost each wednesday.

Sorry about the split threads, but, oh well. I, too, use the Sammy 151 (in between painful bouts with the Sony DHG units), and it also receives and displlays the WQAD program info fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasman42 View Post

Anyone else getting audio popping in and out. I guess cutting out? Just split seconds here and there but it is really getting to me.

Media Com says to call them when it is happening...I guess so they can blame the feed.

Also has anyone noticed that on some braodcasts only the commercials come in on 5.1?

On a good note....you gotta love the quality of Iowa Public TV....just caught the Paul McCartney special the other night - it was great.

Lee

Lee, is it KWQC where you're having the audio problems or on all HD channels? If it's KWQC, their chief engineer was planning on working on it last week. If you're still having problems, you might call or e-mail him, but I can also alert him to the situation.

BTW, welcome to the thread! Where do you live? (You might want to add your location to your user name info -- good advice for anyone, actually)

post #9 of 1647 Old 03-02-2006, 11:20 AM

All of my STB's have displayed WQAD's guide correctly except for the HR10-250. So it's just a problem for that one box as far ad I know.

jc
post #10 of 1647 Old 03-02-2006, 02:01 PM

As for having 2 threads, I agree. But the origional thread needs to be "locked" with a link posted to a new Cedar Rapids/Iowa City/Waterloo/Dubuque thread. This way there will be an end for both markets/areas in the origional thread with a clear path/link for both the "new" areas.

HD since Sept 2005
post #11 of 1647 Old 03-02-2006, 02:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowahawkeye View Post

As for having 2 threads, I agree. But the origional thread needs to be "locked" with a link posted to a new Cedar Rapids/Iowa City/Waterloo/Dubuque thread. This way there will be an end for both markets/areas in the origional thread with a clear path/link for both the "new" areas.

Agreed...maybe one of the moderators can take care of that soon.

post #12 of 1647 Old 03-02-2006, 04:45 PM

Thanks for the ideas on the antenna. I'm located on the West side of town-- lots of hills, and I'm about 1/2 down a hill. I have a good site line South East from my roof, but probably the high antenna would improve the signal. I'll look for a 30-foot tower. That should get me up high enough. Are WQAD or KQWC going back to a VHF channel when the spectrum becoms available in '09?? Would it pay to buy a VHF/UHF antenna? I know the FOX affiliate in Madison is on channel 11, and I've heard roumers that channel 7, KWWL are going to the upper VHF frequency when available. Have you guys heard anything?
post #13 of 1647 Old 03-02-2006, 05:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for the ideas on the antenna. I'm located on the West side of town-- lots of hills, and I'm about 1/2 down a hill. I have a good site line South East from my roof, but probably the high antenna would improve the signal. I'll look for a 30-foot tower. That should get me up high enough. Are WQAD or KQWC going back to a VHF channel when the spectrum becoms available in '09?? Would it pay to buy a VHF/UHF antenna? I know the FOX affiliate in Madison is on channel 11, and I've heard roumers that channel 7, KWWL are going to the upper VHF frequency when available. Have you guys heard anything?

Tommy - From what I understand (and have read from Gilbert (sebenste) on the other thread, only WHBF will be going back to VHF. I think I'm close enough to manage with my CM 4221, because now I can get 4,6, & 8 (analog) just fine with it. But it might pay off for you to go VHF-UHF, expecially if you're considering a tower that high. Hate to have to climb that sucker more than you have to ! And thanks for posting your location; that helps everyone when they answer questions.

post #14 of 1647 Old 03-02-2006, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCoulter View Post

All of my STB's have displayed WQAD's guide correctly except for the HR10-250. So it's just a problem for that one box as far ad I know.

jc

I have a samsung 360 from d* and the guide data for for WQAD matches that of the Hr10-250 for OTA digital which only is weeknights from 4:45 to 10:45. The 360 has the ability to recieve analog OTA and it correctly displays the guide for analog WQAD.
post #15 of 1647 Old 03-03-2006, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by bierboy View Post

Tommy - From what I understand (and have read from Gilbert (sebenste) on the other thread, only WHBF will be going back to VHF. I think I'm close enough to manage with my CM 4221, because now I can get 4,6, & 8 (analog) just fine with it. But it might pay off for you to go VHF-UHF, expecially if you're considering a tower that high.

In February 2009, WHBF will become the most frustrating station to get, and Bierboy will once again be massing his army to change it. WHBF will probably only run 4 or 5 kw of power at best---you read that right---when it moves to channel 4 (they're at 1 mw right now). The FCC rules on the maximum power for DTV stations broadcasting on channels 2-6 is:

*A DTV station that operates on a Channel 2-6 allotment created subsequent to the initial DTV Table will be allowed a maximum ERP of 10 kW if its antenna Height Above Average Terrain is at or below 1,000 feet and it is located in Zone I or a maximum ERP of 45 kW if its antenna HAAT is at or below 1,000 feet and it is located in Zone II or Zone III. A DTV station that operates on a Channel 2-6 allotment included in the initial DTV Table of Allotments may request an increase in power and/or antenna HAAT up to these maximum levels, provided the increase also complies with the provisions of paragraph (f)(5) of this section.*

Zone 3 is along the Gulf coast, Zone 1 includes the Great Lakes and Northeast (including Quad Cities), and zone 2 is everywhere else. In any case, because WHBF broadcasts on a tower higher than 1,000 feet, they will have to reduce their power based on a complicated formula so that they don't broadcast farther than they are supposed to.

WBBM-DT channel 3 in Chicago could only run 3.8 kw on top of the John Hancock, and they had to show it was inferior to other signals for them to go to the 4.4 kw they're at right now. John, you shouldn't have trouble, but anything outside the Quad Cities...literally...don't even think about getting WHBF with an outdoor UHF antenna in 2009. And don't think about using an indoor UHF antenna to get WHBF in the QC once they go to channel 4. Plan ahead, folks...it's less than 3 years until this happens and the antenna will probably work for 20 years if it's a Winegard or 15 if it's a ChannelMaster...

Gilbert
post #16 of 1647 Old 03-03-2006, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Gilbert - Thanks for that info. Would outdoor VHF antennas help for those outside the metro? Since I'm just across the river (no more than 5 miles from their DT tower), I was pretty sure I wouldn't have a problem with my CM4221. That really sucks about them being allowed to severely reduce their power

post #17 of 1647 Old 03-03-2006, 10:53 AM

It's just KWQC. I will give them a few days then call if it's no better.

Thanks for the reply.
post #18 of 1647 Old 03-03-2006, 12:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasman42 View Post

It's just KWQC. I will give them a few days then call if it's no better.

Thanks for the reply.

Check your private messages. I PM'd you.

post #19 of 1647 Old 03-03-2006, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Gilbert - Thanks for that info. Would outdoor VHF antennas help for those outside the metro? Since I'm just across the river (no more than 5 miles from their DT tower), I was pretty sure I wouldn't have a problem with my CM4221. That really sucks about them being allowed to severely reduce their power

Absolutely, and it will be THE only way to get it reliably. The problem is this---IMO (and that of many engineers), the FCC didn't properly take into account man-made noise (static, electrical, and other interference from power lines, fluorescent bulbs, blenders, microwave ovens, dimmer switches on lights, etc) when determining power levels on those channels. As a result, the power, IMO, should be allowed to run at what analog channels 2-6 are running right now (10 times more). As a "for instance", a friend of mine 40 miles west of Chicago locks WBBM-DT with a monster Radio Shack VU-190 TV antenna with a ChannelMaster 7777 preamplifier. But when he plugs in his cordless tool charger, or turns on his microwave, bye bye WBBM. And oh yeah, he's using quad-shielded RG-6 for EVERYTHING, including all jumper cables. And he gets fantastic analog and digital reception on everything, except WBBM analog 2 and digital 3. Oh, did I mention that he has confirmed when his neighbor turns on his blender, he loses WBBM-DT as well?

Throw in E-skip and tropo ducting (distant signals coming in and trashing the locals), and it makes a bad situation worse. A large directional VHF antenna
will minimize, but probably not completely eliminate these problems, when you are 30 miles + from the tower. Comcast cable in Chicago has a VHF antenna
to pick up WBBM-DT on the west side of Chicago. During storms, it would always break up. They had to go to fiber instead to get a reliable picture. The Grand Rapids, MI WWMT channel 2 DT engineer said he can't get a good signal near the tower when storms are close to or in the area. When I mean near the tower, I mean like a quarter mile from it!!!!!

If anyone hasn't already, peruse the Chicago OTA board. 75% of the posts are
about WBBM, and none of them positive...even though their video and audio quality is phenomenal.

That's what you guys are heading to in 3 years with WHBF.

Have a nice weekend!

Gilbert
post #20 of 1647 Old 03-03-2006, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebenste View Post

Absolutely, and it will be THE only way to get it reliably. The problem is this---IMO (and that of many engineers), the FCC didn't properly take into account man-made noise (static, electrical, and other interference from power lines, flourescent bulbs, blenders, microwave ovens, dimmer switches on lights, etc) when determining power levels on those channels. As a result, the power, IMO, should be allowed to run at what analog channels 2-6 are running right now (10 times more). As a "for instance", a friend of mine 40 miles west of Chicago locks WBBM-DT with a monster Radio Shack VU-190 TV antenna with a ChannelMaster 7777 preamplifier. But when he plugs in his cordless tool charger, or turns on his microwave, bye bye WBBM. And oh yeah, he's using quad-shielded RG-6 for EVERYTHING, including all jumper cables. And he gets fantastic analog and digital reception on everything, except WBBM analog 2 and digital 3. Oh, did I mention that he has confirmed when his neighbor turns on his blender, he loses WBBM-DT as well?

Throw in E-skip and tropo ducting (distant signals coming in and trashing the locals), and it makes a bad situation worse. A large directional VHF antenna
will minimize, but probably not completely eliminate these problems, when you are 30 miles + from the tower. Comcast cable in Chicago has a VHF antenna
to pick up WBBM-DT on the west side of Chicago. During storms, it would always break up. They had to go to fiber instead to get a reliable picture. The Grand Rapids, MI WWMT channel 2 DT engineer said he can't get a good signal near the tower when storms are close to or in the area. When I mean near the tower, I mean like a quarter mile from it!!!!!

If anyone hasn't already, peruse the Chicago OTA board. 75% of the posts are
about WBBM, and none of them positive...even though their video and audio quality is phenomenal.

That's what you guys are heading to in 3 years with WHBF.

Have a nice weekend!

Oh, you're always so encouraging!

post #21 of 1647 Old 03-03-2006, 05:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Oh, you're always so encouraging!

BTW, you've been in the QC Times, and now you've done the next best thing
to sliced bread---started an AVS Forum topic! What's next, a Presidential bid?
Hey, if you win, you owe us...put WHBF back on UHF as your first act!

Seriously, I feel for you guys...WHBF on channel 4 is NOT going to be fun...the FCC royally messed up WHBF by not telling them they'd yank channel 51 and
not give them any UHF alternative afterwards. Granted, their power bill will go down...

OK, want encouragement? YOU will get WHBF just fine!

Gilbert
post #22 of 1647 Old 03-04-2006, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The FCC has posted a document which shows what the first round of channel re-designations will be. No big surprises in our market; note that KWQC, while staying in the UHF band, will drop down from 56 to 36.

post #23 of 1647 Old 03-04-2006, 11:55 AM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 73
bierboy :

Can you summarize the area's HDTV offerings in the first post, and keep it updated for newbies to the thread?

Added this thread to the Index.
post #24 of 1647 Old 03-05-2006, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Done.

post #25 of 1647 Old 03-09-2006, 11:21 AM

Anyone catch the premier of "The Unit" on WHBF Tues. night? It didn't have 5.1 DD. Just wondering in it was broadcast in DD? There was a little "bug" at the beginning that said "5.1 DD where available".
post #26 of 1647 Old 03-11-2006, 08:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Anyone catch the premier of "The Unit" on WHBF Tues. night? It didn't have 5.1 DD. Just wondering in it was broadcast in DD? There was a little "bug" at the beginning that said "5.1 DD where available".

I didn't see that show, but I'd caught a CBS show a few weeks ago that wasn't DD5.1 and had e-mailed the CE about it. He said that not all the shows CBS broadcasts in HD are 5.1. But if it had the bug, it should have been. I'll keep an eye (ear) on it over the next week or two. Post again, if you spot another show on WHBF that should be 5.1 and isn't.

John

post #27 of 1647 Old 03-14-2006, 08:28 PM

Just watched "The Unit" on WHBF and it was in 5.1 DD. So the problem is fixed.
post #28 of 1647 Old 03-14-2006, 08:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Hey John,

Quick question. Any chance you could list all of the DTV offerings (IE, subchannels)
in addition to the main ones in your first post? 4:3 isn't evil. It just needs to be abolished.

Whaddya think?

If you need help...

http://weather.niu.edu/dtvstations.xls

As always, even though I am a paranoid system administrator myself, virus scan that file first.

Gilbert
post #29 of 1647 Old 03-15-2006, 10:22 AM

Quote:

jc

JC - I live in Cedar Rapids but have a friend in Moline with the HR10-250. He doesn't get the guide data for OTA WQAD either, it just says "sign off". In his case, I think it's that way all the time. I have the same box but haven't seen anything similar with the Cedar Rapid stations.
post #30 of 1647 Old 03-15-2006, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Just watched "The Unit" on WHBF and it was in 5.1 DD. So the problem is fixed.

Watched it, too, last night. Good show....and even better in DD5.1!

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page