Cedar Rapids, IA - HDTV - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 4956 Old 08-02-2006, 07:17 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Noticed the updated 9.2 last night as well. First stop today was here.

And yes, a little upsetting that the radar is windowed, but

a) it's almost always on local radar in that window, and

b) they now include LOOPING radar. Before, 9.2 used to only be a live feed from their radar PC. If they were running a Windows update, you got to watch them update. If they were roaming around checking on things, you got to watch that. But otherwise, there was no loop, nothing. Just a radar image. A static image is fine for current conditions, but if I'm going to go outside, it's nice to see where the rain is headed.

Also kinda like that they're replaying the news, since I can't always catch the news at 10.

Unfortunately, on a 30" widescreen (20-25" 4:3 equiv.), all the windowing cuts the size on everything pretty small. I'm not sure they need quite as much area on top for the new 9.2 logo (another nice touch), but I think that the bottom programming lineup ticker is nice to have.

All in all, nice to see that KCRG took the time to listen to some of the suggestions from this board (almost seems like they took ALL of the suggestions, though!), and nice to see the increased local coverage. Now to advertise the capabilities of the new subchannel!

I'll leave my whining usual about KWWL and KGAN for another day. "The New Nine Dot Two" is enough to make me forget most of it now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 4956 Old 08-04-2006, 09:46 AM

Liked: 11
http://www.ighsau.org/sb/2006/sbtvfinals.htm

Iowa Public Television will broadcast the Iowa High School Sports Network production of the 2006 Girls Softball Championships LIVE exclusively on IPTV-Digital Channels across the state. The network will provide coverage on Friday, August 4 beginning at 1 p.m. on IPTV-Digital channels across the state. Viewers able to receive an HDTV signal can watch the live coverage on the following digital channels: channel 50, Des Moines; channel 45, Iowa City; channel 25, Fort Dodge; channel 18, Mason City; channel 28, Sioux City; channel 35, Waterloo; channel 33, Council Bluffs; and channel 35, Red Oak.

Viewers can see a rebroadcast of the championships on Iowa Public Television's traditional (analog) service August 8 - 11. These rebroadcasts allow viewers to record them at 2 a.m. each day on IPTV's traditional channels: channel 11, Des Moines; channel 12, Iowa City; channel 21, Fort Dodge; channel 24, Mason City; channel 27, Sioux City; channel 32, Waterloo; channel 32, Council Bluffs; channel 36, Red Oak; channel 36, Davenport.

HD since Sept 2005
post #363 of 4956 Old 08-05-2006, 03:51 PM

Getting zero on both receivers...looked at their web site, no notice...southern CR
post #364 of 4956 Old 08-05-2006, 05:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Wooh - that's bizarre - CFU graphs show no problem; my ota tuner locks onto both 2-1, 2-2 just fine, but tv shows "no signal." Broadcasting a carrier, but someone tripped over the video cable? Heck -just changed channels to KCRG - my Sammy is still doing a reboot upon selecting 9-1, but I can change to 2-1 with no glitch - just no signal.

Jon

Denon DVP - everyone else loves it.
post #365 of 4956 Old 08-06-2006, 05:54 AM

still down this morning...it's there, just no programming
post #366 of 4956 Old 08-06-2006, 07:01 AM

2.1 working fine
post #367 of 4956 Old 08-06-2006, 06:18 PM

The football on 7.1 looks crappy. Lots of blockiness and dot crawl during movement. The shots with little movement look very nice, and the dd5.1 sounds really good.

(MYHD MDP130 on a 1280x720 projector 120inch screen)
post #368 of 4956 Old 08-06-2006, 07:44 PM

Versa,

I see the same thing. I'm using the 6412 stb with Mediacom.
post #369 of 4956 Old 08-06-2006, 08:18 PM

During the second half I didn't see as much blockiness, but it just seemed like blurs replaced blockiness.
post #370 of 4956 Old 08-06-2006, 08:29 PM
AVS Special Member

fwiw, now at the end of the game, I'm flatout getting dropouts, and "no signal." the qam feed had been flaky, so switched over to antenna on tower, for ota. Got some nasty macroblocking before the dropouts - something I hadn't experienced in over a year, OTA. sheesh - I want Jerry back. So far, football on KWWL-DT looks as bad or worse than MLB was on KFXA last August.

NOT the best start for showing off your network, guys. NBC paid a lot of money to get MNF on Sunday; would be nice if locals could also broadcast it.

Jon

post #371 of 4956 Old 08-08-2006, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Another question (and uhf may be able to help here,) - do any of the local HD stations ever broadcast a test pattern, and if so, is it at a predictable time? I would like to calibrate my hd stb to my vp and crt; once I stumbled on the KCRG demo clip, late at night.

I just thought it would be helpful if a station could broadcast the standard color bars, with pluge at either the end or beginning of the broadcast day. I'm pretty sure the sat people do that, but that doesn't help us OTA peons...

Jon

post #372 of 4956 Old 08-08-2006, 12:02 PM
Advanced Member

I've seen it late at night recently, but I can't recall which station is was.

I want to say it was KWWL or KGAN, on a Saturday night after 4 AM (note: that's when I turned on the TV. Not sure what time it actually started). KCRG usually switches over to the radar at that hour, instead of a test pattern.
post #373 of 4956 Old 08-08-2006, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingvee View Post

Another question (and uhf may be able to help here,) - do any of the local HD stations ever broadcast a test pattern, and if so, is it at a predictable time? I would like to calibrate my hd stb to my vp and crt; once I stumbled on the KCRG demo clip, late at night.

I just thought it would be helpful if a station could broadcast the standard color bars, with pluge at either the end or beginning of the broadcast day. I'm pretty sure the sat people do that, but that doesn't help us OTA peons...

I don't know if they still do this, but the last time I worked/partied late I noticed that KGAN-TV and DT usually signed off late Friday night/Saturday morning, sometime in the 2 o'clock hour IIRC. They'll usually put up a few minutes of bars just before pulling the plug, and again later that morning when they come back on again.

If you can pick up WHBF-DT out of the Quad Cities (DT 58), I believe they, too, put up bars overnight. At least that's what I saw during our last humid spell, which was the last time I was able to pick them up.

Views are strictly my own unless otherwise noted.
"ItÂs looking more like Y2K than the Bay of Pigs." - FCC Commissioner Adelstein, 6-13-09, on the DTV switch
post #374 of 4956 Old 08-08-2006, 02:34 PM
uhf

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingvee View Post

I just thought it would be helpful if a station could broadcast the standard color bars, with pluge

I don't have an HD set at home yet, but I used the Video Essentials DVD to set up my SD LCD set. It has all the test patterns a guy could want if you don't mind them being SD instead of HD.

The comments and opinions expressed in my posts are strictly my own and are not necessarily those of my employer or anyone else.
post #375 of 4956 Old 08-08-2006, 07:40 PM

I live in CR, am picking up the big 4 QC's in HD, plus WEEK 25-1 and WTPV 47-1 from Peoria, plus a whole slew of analogs. Easily the best night for QC I've had so far. Can't believe I'm getting Peoria! 150 miles?

If I could only get them in the daytime...4-1 seems to be able to come in the earliest (comes in at 430p when I get home from work) and best the last couple days, but haven't had a chance to try on weekends. It'd be great to have a 2nd option for locals during football season.

I seem to have been able to finally dial in the QC locals, used Antennaweb site to figure out the compass headings, used the signal meters, voila, channels everywhere and solid signals, too. It'll be nice to try them this weekend.
post #376 of 4956 Old 08-08-2006, 09:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhf View Post

I don't have an HD set at home yet, but I used the Video Essentials DVD to set up my SD LCD set. It has all the test patterns a guy could want if you don't mind them being SD instead of HD.

it's not that - I have VE and Avia - my issue is that I think the color balance is skewed some with my STB - over in the crt forum, near as I can follow, it seems to be a colorspace issue - with HD actually being defined differently than SD. While I am ok eyeballing to "fairly close," it would be nice if I could actually optimize what comes out of my HD box, using a known benchmark. A few minutes would help me tweak the color and hue, but if anyone left it one for an extended period, I might have time to do some serious grayscale work.

thanks, dline, but I'm NW of Cedar Falls, in a valley - I'm pretty happy that I can pickup the major networks. So far, I have never picked any other stations up, even tho I have a friend in town (on a hill) who gets Mason City on a semi-regular basis. I even tried getting WB out of Ames once, on a reccomendation of a fellow forum member - no luck there either.

Jon

post #377 of 4956 Old 08-08-2006, 09:46 PM - Thread Starter

You may also get bars off the IPTV network. KDIN-DT at least does colorbars for a few minutes before sign-on sometimes when I've caught it. I don't think I've seen stations do true SMTPE bars, though, mainly it's just straight out full screen color bars.

(Note: Comments and other information in my posts are strictly my opinions only and not those of my employer or their parent company and network.)
post #378 of 4956 Old 08-09-2006, 01:04 AM
uhf

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc0bsn View Post

You may also get bars off the IPTV network.

That's my only suggestion too. But I'm not sure how accurate those are as I have no idea what the source is. I think that they sometimes go to bars at sign off as well, but probably for only a minute or so while the master control op shuts down the transmitters.

The comments and opinions expressed in my posts are strictly my own and are not necessarily those of my employer or anyone else.
post #379 of 4956 Old 08-11-2006, 05:46 PM

So the football game on 2.1 right now, falcons vs NE, looks like crap. The sideline shots look great but the actual game is damn near unwatchable. You can't even see the ball when its in the air.

What is the point of 'HDTV' if they lower the bandwidth so much its barely better then standard tv?
post #380 of 4956 Old 08-11-2006, 07:18 PM

I don't post much - usually just read and learn. I don't complain much, either, but I would have to agree with previous posts on the poor quality of the NFL broadcasts. The whole reason I bought my HDTV was for sports.

KWWL's Sunday Night NFL broadcast was absolutely horrible. HORRIBLE. Granted it was in 1080i which is less than ideal for anything sports related, but goodness sakes. I remember the the Olympics looking just as bad - I chalked that up to having to ship the signal from Europe. Highly disappointed. Looked WORSE on MediaCom 807.

Tonight's game in 1080i on KGAN/CBS is "better" than Sunday's by far OTA, but still looks fuzzy/blocky. Couldn't check it on MediaCom channel 802 because, well, you know - THERE IS NO 802. Sorry. Moving on.

Last night's FOX broadcast looked pretty good, but not great, in 720p.

The baseball games and other HD broadcasts on ESPNHD/ESPN2HD along with games on INHD are wonderful. Cause they are on cable?

By the way, I do not want to spark the 1080 vs 720 debate, just making observations.

Is it bandwidth allocation? Is it compression settings? Is it that I have a newer progressive scan DLP TV? It looked just as bad on my neighbor's older 1080i set.

Go Chiefs. Well, at least until they lose in the playoffs.
post #381 of 4956 Old 08-12-2006, 03:10 PM
AVS Special Member

just a thought, but maybe they just aren't using the best gear for the preseason games - I sure remember them looking better last year. And I know last year's World Series looked a lot better. (tho there isn't much rapid movement in baseball either ) But yes, NBC's first foray into HD was lamentable - lets just hope they get their act together by the real season.

Jon

post #382 of 4956 Old 08-12-2006, 03:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes - I don't want it, so am instead sharing with fellow forum members. If anyone wants one of the Toshiba HD-dvd players, there is one open box at the CR BB, for a jaw-dropping price. (following forum rules, but lets say, you could buy this unit and 6 disks for the normal price. ))

I had it in my greasy little paws, went to the movie section, and DANG - couldn't find a disk I wanted to pay 30 bucks to watch on it. So, afaik, it is still there waiting for someone with different taste in movies than me. Enjoy.

Jon

post #383 of 4956 Old 08-18-2006, 04:24 PM

Anyone know if Mediacom will be adding any new HD channels any time soon?
post #384 of 4956 Old 08-19-2006, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsduke View Post

Anyone know if Mediacom will be adding any new HD channels any time soon?

Talked to someone with MediaCom in Des Moines about several issues including TVGuide Online, NFL Network, ESPNU and whether they are going to add any new HD channels this week.

The NFL Network is supposedly coming. They are in negotiations just like every other cable outlet. The NFL-HD will not be carried by MediaCom. ESPNU is in negitiations also. They are considering putting them both on the new sports tier with CSTV and the regional sports networks.

They ARE supposed to be adding "a few" HD channels by the end of the year. Des Moines does not have ESPN2HD or INHD/INHD2 - those are going to be added to the tier there. They really did not give anything specific, but rumor has the possibilities of TNT-HD, National Geographic HD, HGTV-HD, WGN-HD and some sports channels like ComCast Sports Net in HD.

OF COURSE, no luck with those ding-dongs at Sinclair (KGAN / KDSM) adding KGAN-DT 802 to the lineup in Cedar Rapids or KDSM-HD to Des Moines.
post #385 of 4956 Old 08-19-2006, 07:20 AM

Well, another week of preseason football in HD.

The second Sunday night KWWL-DT / NBC broadcast was better, but still not up to my standards. Blocky and sometimes 'out of focus'.

Monday Night Football on ESPN-HD was PERFECT - but, the little score "pod" is irritating. FOX has the best score "bar" and is great on HD. Takes up too much screen in SD.

Thursday night's Chiefs-Giants game was damn near perfect on 28-1, although my Chiefs looked like a Jr. High team.

We'll see how the PGA Championship looks on CBS-HD this weekend.

Yeah, I'm picky.
post #386 of 4956 Old 08-19-2006, 11:10 AM

If there not going to add NFL Network in HD why even bother adding it at all? NFL is by far the best thing about having HD.

Of course, that's just my opinion.

I have no hopes for a Mediacom-Sinclair deal any time soon. I hate to put up a antenna just to get one channel.
post #387 of 4956 Old 08-21-2006, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsduke View Post

If there not going to add NFL Network in HD why even bother adding it at all? NFL is by far the best thing about having HD.

Of course, that's just my opinion.

I have no hopes for a Mediacom-Sinclair deal any time soon. I hate to put up a antenna just to get one channel.

Couldn't agree more. My neighbor has Dish Network with NFL-HD [drool]. I am just this side of going the dish route, especially for HD channels, but will cost me nearly $45 MORE a month than MediaCom. You get what you pay for, I guess.
post #388 of 4956 Old 08-21-2006, 02:38 PM

Ahh, I can't find 809 on Mediacom. I don't see KCRGHD anywhere on the channel guide. I see a channel 109 which is KCRG's weather, any ideas where 809 went?
Thanks,
Rod
post #389 of 4956 Old 08-21-2006, 03:02 PM

809 still on in Waterloo.
post #390 of 4956 Old 08-21-2006, 03:08 PM

Thanks tsduke, I don't see it in the guide and I can't change the channel to it. Hmmmmmmm...Interesting.....
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page