Cedar Rapids, IA - HDTV - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 4957 Old 09-07-2006, 06:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've officially given up on trying to receive KWWL. I've never been able to get a good signal, and I assumed I just needed some antenna tweaking. Well, I was wrong. Nothing I did would draw in KWWL. I have all other stations at low 90s. Ugh!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 4957 Old 09-07-2006, 09:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Still?? tonite it's fine for me, and I've had as many problems as anyone. You might try tweaking the antenna again. If you are getting KGAN fine, I'd think you could do a little turning and get KW.

Jon

Denon DVP - everyone else loves it.
post #453 of 4957 Old 09-08-2006, 12:13 AM

I've tried. KWWL is the one station I've never been able to pull in, regardless of my antenna setup. You could go back a couple years in the old thread and see posts of my KWWL issues then too. I just don't get it. I used to get spotty reception (w/ dropping & pixelation), but now I get signal strength of 0. I'm just baffled.
post #454 of 4957 Old 09-08-2006, 08:08 AM

Thanks all for the advice! I am either going to try an indoor antenna or a smalle vhf/uhf aimed somewhere in-between. I had good luck before doing that, so we shall see. Thanks again!
post #455 of 4957 Old 09-08-2006, 05:12 PM

I have not been able to get KWWL either( on West side of Dubuque) . I'm 30 feet above ground and get; KGAN, KCRG & PBS HD at 90%, but no KWWL
post #456 of 4957 Old 09-08-2006, 06:26 PM
AVS Special Member

sheesh - you should be fine - I think KW is even marginally closer, and pretty much in line with the others - at least from your distance. With all your hills, I'd think you would have trouble with all - but if you get one, I'd expect you to get them all. Guess I need to thank D. Owens again, for at least making it watchable in Waterloo.

Jon

post #457 of 4957 Old 09-09-2006, 02:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommymack View Post

I have not been able to get KWWL either( on West side of Dubuque) . I'm 30 feet above ground and get; KGAN, KCRG & PBS HD at 90%, but no KWWL

Well, you never know. KWWL's tower near Rowley is just a few miles north of the KCRG/KGAN/KRIN tower near Walker, and while the two towers are almost right in line from most of us in C.R., the angle may be just different enough from Dubuque to cause an issue. But it's kind of hard for me to say for sure.

Views are strictly my own unless otherwise noted.
"ItÂs looking more like Y2K than the Bay of Pigs." - FCC Commissioner Adelstein, 6-13-09, on the DTV switch
post #458 of 4957 Old 09-10-2006, 06:50 AM

I picked up the foorball game fine on Thursday, but could not get prime time on Friday, but did get Leno both days. Not sure about Sat nite.
post #459 of 4957 Old 09-10-2006, 07:24 AM

I just lost 75, TNT-HD. Called cust svc, they said some sort of re-arrangment of channel assignments along with additions to the regular line-up are being phased in and tested today. Everybody with the HD package will lose TNT-HD today because of this. I asked him whether there was any prior notification to subscribers, he said he didn't know.

More channels, huh? He said everything should be back up tomorrow...1 day issue and apologized.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm...
post #460 of 4957 Old 09-10-2006, 07:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the info bagdropper....

Now to see if the QC stations are coming in since the dumb###es at KGAN are not showing the KC-CIN game (at least according to the listings).
post #461 of 4957 Old 09-10-2006, 11:11 AM

Are there any issues with KGAN or KCRG. For some reason these two keep dropping on me today? Would the weather be causing this? They are generally in the 80-90 range, then will just drop to 0. This has been frustrating (KCRG has been doing it for a little while). Any ideas what could cause it? KWWL and KRFX are great.
post #462 of 4957 Old 09-10-2006, 01:47 PM

Hi Everyone,

I just got Dish Network HD, and I have the new receiver that comes with it. I am new to the OTA stuff. Right now I get KCRG generally above 95, but KGAN can only comes in about 75. Aren't they on the same tower? Why would one be higher than the other? I live in SW CR.

Thanks in advance for any help.
post #463 of 4957 Old 09-10-2006, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

FWIW, it's all good here. Fox and KGAN both coming in strong, as well as KWWL. Caught Fogerty on Austin City Limits last night, IPTV-HD. Looks like I get better reception in the rain than I do in clear weather.

and hd - your Cheifs were on, for what good it did. Hope you were cheering for the Bengals.

Jon

post #464 of 4957 Old 09-11-2006, 03:21 PM
Advanced Member

Not sure about everyone else, but my MediaCon cable was flaking out today. At first I thought I was on my antenna feed trying to watch KRIN-HD this afternoon, or that the KRIN feed to MediaCon was flaking out. But, I swtiched over to regular analog cable programming, and was getting simila dropouts. This was after 13:30 CDT today, 9/11/06.

Anyone else see any problems today?

Speaking of Leno on KWWL...

I know that Dick doesn't have control over it, but I must say that I'm upset and appalled with KWWL for the grief they're going to make all Leno and Conan fans suffer through on Friday nights over the next 3 months.

For those that don't know, KWWL has a LENGTHY Friday night high-school football program on immediately following the 10:00 news. Because of this, all Late-night programming is pushed back 30 minutes.

And, of course, since they're pushing the programming back, it's all broadcast in glorious 2.0 stereo in 4:3 standard def.

I understand that this area has a fascination with "prep sports", but gimme a break... this isn't Texas, after all. KCRG ends their news at 10:20 and has 15 minutes of HS foootball, which means ample time to show highlights as well as an on-time latenight schedule.

I also understand that time-shifting HD programming, while relatively easy for a consumer, is a costly prospectus at times for a TV station, but why not figure that into your plans when you decide how many hours a week you need to spend on High School athletics?

Unfortunately, much like KGAN, KWWL, KCRG, et.al's decision to broadcast Cyclone basketball (in Hawkeye country), and time-shift prime-time programming to 2 AM in 480i, I have a feeling that, once again, I'm in the minority on this issue.

Can someone point me to an ACTUAL market research study that shows that people in Eastern Iowa care more about high school sports and Cyclone Women's basketball than they care about High-Def Primetime programming? I'd like to see the report, so that I can lobby the research firm to include a realistic study group in the future.

[/rant]
post #465 of 4957 Old 09-11-2006, 06:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CR_Client View Post

Not sure about everyone else, but my MediaCon cable was flaking out today. At first I thought I was on my antenna feed trying to watch KRIN-HD this afternoon, or that the KRIN feed to MediaCon was flaking out. But, I swtiched over to regular analog cable programming, and was getting simila dropouts. This was after 13:30 CDT today, 9/11/06.

Can someone point me to an ACTUAL market research study that shows that people in Eastern Iowa care more about high school sports and Cyclone Women's basketball than they care about High-Def Primetime programming? I'd like to see the report, so that I can lobby the research firm to include a realistic study group in the future.

[/rant]

I'm getting pretty ratty reception over sd cable tonite - attribute to all the moisture, probably oozing into the dried out connectors all along the path from head-end to my house....

I'll agree, and disagree. As soon as I saw Leno in all the beauty of sd 4x3, I TURNED IT OFF. (bold so the marketing dept bozos hired by the new owners can see it.) yup - all the local parents with kids on the teams will watch, so I doubt if it'll change.

But Mr Client - while I am stuck living in what you so knowingly lable "Hawkeye Country," there are more than a few ISU alums in the area. And/or ISU fans. And I'll gladly miss "Dancing with the Stars" or "Wife Swap" if it means I get to watch the Clones play. (they are sd anyway, I think - lord knows I've never watched them. ) But I agree - it's going to be REALLY hard to give up "Ugly Betty," just to see if the new coach will help the Cyclones. Yeah - imagine me weighing the choices, like the statues of Justice - Clones vs. Kansas in one hand, "Help Me Help You" in the other.

Can't get too excited or worried about those choices. Why not rave about all of the CBS shows that are going to get shifted to SD hell after midnight, just so you can see Alford?

Me - I'm happy - afaik, KWWL does no sports, so The Office and Earl will be unmolested. If they would do the same with Leno, I'd be fine.

Jon

post #466 of 4957 Old 09-11-2006, 10:15 PM
Advanced Member

Okay, I'll admit, there's not THAT many quality shows on ABC Primetime that I'm that concerned about, but I AM a pretty big CBS fan. Sinclair is doing everything in its power to keep me from enjoying CBS, but I've persevered in spite of their efforts (stretch-o-vision, no cable contract, etc). I was just as upset last season whenever Criminal Minds got pre-empted, or Numb3rs, as you are about Earl, Office (which, until this past season, was still in 4:3) and Leno.

And yes, I know that there are ISU fans out here. Enough that ISU found it fit to put that billboard out on 380 (though I think that's there as much to mess with Cedar Rapidians as it because this is 'Cyclone Country'). I just like to stir up trouble. I'm sure I'll have my come-uppins next week if Tate stays on the sidelines this Saturday.

But no, you couldn't pay me enough to watch Steve Alford, live or on TV. So keep him off of my set.

And now, my train of thought is hopelessly derailed. I should have taken a nap before I tried to write this.
post #467 of 4957 Old 09-12-2006, 07:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

And yes, I know that there are ISU fans out here. Enough that ISU found it fit to put that billboard out on 380 (though I think that's there as much to mess with Cedar Rapidians as it because this is 'Cyclone Country').

I think you're right - I only jumped in so hard cuz I am made fully aware, every day at work, that I am in "Hawkeye" country. I thought I lived in Iowa; I was sad that UNI lost, and very disappointed watching the Hawks last Sat - while I cheer for the 'Clones, I am fully aware of and accepting of the fact that if I'm going to watch an Iowa team playing in an HD bowl games, it will most likely be a team from Iowa City.

As you point out - there just isn't a lot on any network in HD that is worth watching. Any ideas on when we will see HD on every channel? (cables) Anybody??? THAT is the day when people will go out and intentionally buy HD sets.

Jon

post #468 of 4957 Old 09-12-2006, 09:50 AM

Liked: 11
Starting yesterday 9/11, King World Productions started distrubution of Wheel of Fortune in HD. When will the Kwwl viewers get to see this and other "time shifted HD programming in true HD?

HD since Sept 2005
post #469 of 4957 Old 09-12-2006, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowahawkeye View Post

Starting yesterday 9/11, King World Productions started distrubution of Wheel of Fortune in HD.

Wow! maybe we're a lot closer to HD 24/7 than I thought. Not because I watch Wheel, but there always has to be one to start the ball rolling. What's next - Oprah, or maybe the View? Myself, I'd probably watch a few soaps in HD, just to see the quickly troweled on makeup in full HD glory. Now THAT would be scary.

Jon

post #470 of 4957 Old 09-12-2006, 10:38 AM

Also of note: Jeopardy started HD also. http://www.jeopardy.com/announcement_20060907HD.php

Whats it take for a local afilliate to record/rebroadcast a HD show?

HD since Sept 2005
post #471 of 4957 Old 09-12-2006, 10:57 AM

If you think time shifting is bad now, you should have lived in Eastern Iowa in the 80s, when KWWL felt it was ok to pre-empt the Thursday night line-up each week for Hawkeye Basketball. NBC was only showing the #1,2,3, & 4 shows in the nation at the time.
KWWL would reschedule them to air on the weekend, only to ususally pre-empt them or cut into them if another Hawkeye Basketball game ran overtime.

I don't see why KCRG can't show the game on their sub channel.
post #472 of 4957 Old 09-12-2006, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingvee View Post

What's next - Oprah, or maybe the View?

"The View" is already in HD. Not timeshifted of course....
post #473 of 4957 Old 09-12-2006, 11:47 AM

JIP....I just hate it when a local "JIPs" us, as in Joined in progress. KGAN has been real good at this the past couple of years (IA mens BB games)......just love watching some NEW episode when they JIP....10 minutes after the hour. And the only reason they do it is they must think they can't survive if their 10pm newscast starts 10 min later than the other locals. Now you know why I keep my rabbit ears/amp close by in the coat closet.

HD since Sept 2005
post #474 of 4957 Old 09-12-2006, 01:51 PM
Advanced Member

GMA (Good Morning America) was in HD for a least a couple of months before KCRG let it be shown in HD, and that's Live, not time-shifted. I have no idea what it will take to get the "Broadcast whenever you like, as long as you broadcast it" shows such as View, Oprah, Wheel, and Jeopardy to get shown in HD.

Since they finally found someone to work in the mornings to flip the HD switch back and forth for morning programming (a process I still don't understand... manual intervention in this day and age?), you'd think they would let that person do their job for a few more hours after 9 AM.

It's bad enough that KGAN still can't even put a station bug on the screen in HD (KWWL is quite capable of even this menial task), so I can only imagine how much longer it will take for them to learn how to (and finally get around to) time-shifting content and preserving HD.
post #475 of 4957 Old 09-12-2006, 03:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

GMA (Good Morning America) was in HD for a least a couple of months before KCRG let it be shown in HD, and that's Live, not time-shifted. I have no idea what it will take to get the "Broadcast whenever you like, as long as you broadcast it" shows such as View, Oprah, Wheel, and Jeopardy to get shown in HD.

GMA not in HD here was a national thing and had nothing to do with KCRG. When it went HD, they announced that the Central & Mountain zones would be later.

That's come and gone now... The View is on after GMA and I belive is the ABC feed so it has been in HD since they started a few weeks ago.

I believe it takes many $$$ for the right equipment to timeshift HD, so I would not count on seeing it very soon around here.
post #476 of 4957 Old 09-12-2006, 04:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowahawkeye View Post

JIP....I just hate it when a local "JIPs" us, as in Joined in progress. KGAN has been real good at this the past couple of years (IA mens BB games)......just love watching some NEW episode when they JIP....10 minutes after the hour. And the only reason they do it is they must think they can't survive if their 10pm newscast starts 10 min later than the other locals. Now you know why I keep my rabbit ears/amp close by in the coat closet.

Time shifting by tape or server is a pain either way you look at it. Up until about a year ago, KCCI delayed the Late Late show by 30 minutes. Until we got the server, it would take 4 tapes in order to make everything run smoothly. It mostly has to do with making sure you can get your tapes synced up and then during a commercial break switch from airing one tape to the other.

Once we moved to servers, it was a bit easier, but still came close sometimes, as I'd need all of my show segments to be at least as long as the time delay was. We tried delaying Letterman back in July as a test to see if it could be done without segmenting a show. It worked, but the station needs to have 2 broadcast quality playout channels from the server. (We actually have 3, 2 for air and air-backup, and one that we can record backup dub reels of commercials in case the server were ever to crash or have a seizure.)

Basically, what I'm trying to get at, is 10 minutes is most often, not enough time to timeshift without running into problems. And all this doesn't even take into the account that CBS usually has some fairly funky rules about what you're allowed to tape-delay and re-air at a later time.

(Note: Comments and other information in my posts are strictly my opinions only and not those of my employer or their parent company and network.)
post #477 of 4957 Old 09-12-2006, 05:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for update/repost. As I recall, the same thing came up last year, and you guys shot down my idea of pooling money to buy the station an HD-DVR (figured there were enough of us, we could swing it.) Obviously, upon reflection, and with Kc's explanation, there is much more too it. But we can still wish

Jon

post #478 of 4957 Old 09-12-2006, 09:54 PM - Thread Starter

Oh believe me, I wish it would happen, too. But then again, I wouldn't mind working in a master control that looks like this:

*Sigh*

Anyway, eventually these things will come. It's more just a time and patience both on the viewers & broadcasters parts. You can either have a 1st gen product now at a premium price, or wait a bit for further generations and price cuts.

(Note: Comments and other information in my posts are strictly my opinions only and not those of my employer or their parent company and network.)
post #479 of 4957 Old 09-13-2006, 07:04 AM
AVS Special Member

WOW - now that is cool. Dunno where you work, but I've seen a local's master control room, and it doesn't look like even one of the 4 bays above. Safe to assume that is a network setup? If that's a local, must be in one of the top markets. (and not Waterloo/CR)

Jon

post #480 of 4957 Old 09-13-2006, 07:35 AM

If you "click" the above photo, it's this: "Panorama of WESH's new master control area. 4 plasma screen monitors...*drool*" Channel 2 NBC Orlando/Daytona
And yes "wow"

HD since Sept 2005
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page