Cedar Rapids, IA - HDTV - Page 160 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #4771 of 4956 Old 08-25-2011, 09:18 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Looks like KCRG is testing or has already launched a new sub-channel, 9.3, "Wx Now", an all-weather sub-channel.

Just happened across it tonight while surfing on the antenna. Not even sure how it showed up on my TV since I didn't re-scan or anything.

With all of the local programming they've been putting on 9.2, it's nice to see a dedicated local weather channel, too.

I wonder if MediaCon is going to add it to the packages?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4772 of 4956 Old 09-06-2011, 03:07 PM

Heads up on Blue Sky Dish Network installers. Despite explicit instructions on how to hide the cable, these guys ruined $400.00 worth of vinyl siding by screwing the cable clamps right into the side of my house. This is after I literally showed the installer where I wanted it hidden and to use Vinyl Siding Cable Clips anywhere that the cable had to be exposed. The installer acknowledged the instructions and then proceeded to do the exact thing I told him NOT to do.

Moral of the story...always directly supervise these installers when they are working on YOUR house. They have no respect and apparently no attention to detail.

FWIW: They refused to replace the vinyl siding they ruined. Had to do it myself. Still dealing with Dish Network to address this damage and I'm not getting anywhere with them.
post #4773 of 4956 Old 09-08-2011, 05:07 PM
uhf

WX Now will never be available on DirecTV, even with their add-on ATSC tuner. I believe this to be a violation of the All-Channel Receiver Act

Subject
---------------------------------------------------------------
RE: Over The Air channels on HR24/AM21

Discussion Thread
---------------------------------------------------------------
Response Via Email(DIRECTV) - 09/08/2011 01:09 PM
Dear Mr. [REDACTED],

Thank you for your feedback regarding the AM21 Off-Air Tuner features. We received a response from our Engineering Department and confirmed KCRG 9.3 will not be available through the AM21 Off-Air Tuner. DIRECTV is no longer adding new ATSC sub-channels to the off-air guide because of guide capacity constraints.

The comments and opinions expressed in my posts are strictly my own and are not necessarily those of my employer or anyone else.
post #4774 of 4956 Old 09-08-2011, 05:12 PM
uhf

Quote:
Originally Posted by zim1951 View Post

Still dealing with Dish Network to address this damage and I'm not getting anywhere with them.

Good luck. My advice is to try to get a hold of executive customer service in the CEO's office. I'm not going to post their email addy, but you can probably figure out how to email CEO AT DISHNETWORK.COM

The comments and opinions expressed in my posts are strictly my own and are not necessarily those of my employer or anyone else.
post #4775 of 4956 Old 09-12-2011, 02:41 PM

Liked: 11
WQAD (ABC) in the Quad Cities went HD. http://www.tvpredictions.com/localhd091211.htm

HD since Sept 2005
post #4776 of 4956 Old 09-22-2011, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dline View Post

It's been a while since I've followed this closely, but while my back was turned, KCRG put in for a power boost from just over 30kW to 48kW, according to the FCC web site. The application was granted Friday, so it's probably just a matter of time before it happens.

Here's a link to the application:
http://licensing.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/ws....cility_id=9719

The station claimed it needed the boost to match KWWL's coverage area, but hopefully it helps folks closer in as well. (It's currently my second best VHF "get," second only to KIIN which has a closer tower and hits my rabbit ears on the backside.)

So, any word on if/when this actually happens? Everything was recording fine in May, but now with start of the new fall season, on Monday evening I had very frequent dropouts on KCRG to the point it was unwatchable. On Tuesday I messed around with my rabbit ears which of course also then messes with my KWWL reception. I got it so that I only had an occasional breakup on last night's ABC shows, but still I wasn't having this problem in the spring. (Yes, I didn't mention any problems for the UHF stations which have always and continue to come in perfectly, always, all the time, 100% goodness. But still, VHF is just the BEST!)
post #4777 of 4956 Old 09-27-2011, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivorygate View Post

So, any word on if/when this actually happens? Everything was recording fine in May, but now with start of the new fall season, on Monday evening I had very frequent dropouts on KCRG to the point it was unwatchable.

I think they went right about the time you posted your question. You may be battling some multipath now. I asked Kirk when this boost would happen and he told me about in about a week (contacted him a couple weeks ago). I was glad to have him on the same levels since we (KCRG and KWWL) are about the same frequency and location. When viewers say they get one of us but not the other, now things should be equal as far as overdrive on the tuners, which tends to be the biggest issue. Lots of people with antennas with noisy or way to powerful amplifiers built in on them!

Times like these make me think back to the immortal final words of Socrates... "I drank what?"
post #4778 of 4956 Old 10-10-2011, 07:37 AM

Well I'm having a problem with Channel 9 and was wondering if anyone else is having similar issues.

I have 3 OTA TVs connected and one of my TVs (not frequently used) has always had issues with the 9 subchannels. They're all displayed squished in 4:3 even though they're supposed to be widescreen.

This only happens on 9.2 and now 9.3 the primary channel 9.1 displays properly. If I hook this same TV to ImOn's ClearQAM the 9.2 and 9.3 channels display properly. It's only OTA.

Sadly there is no way to tell my TV to "stretch" the picture back out to 16:9.

Anyone else have any similar trouble?
post #4779 of 4956 Old 10-10-2011, 07:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgarringer View Post

Well I'm having a problem with Channel 9 and was wondering if anyone else is having similar issues.

I have 3 OTA TVs connected and one of my TVs (not frequently used) has always had issues with the 9 subchannels. They're all displayed squished in 4:3 even though they're supposed to be widescreen.

This only happens on 9.2 and now 9.3 the primary channel 9.1 displays properly. If I hook this same TV to ImOn's ClearQAM the 9.2 and 9.3 channels display properly. It's only OTA.

Sadly there is no way to tell my TV to "stretch" the picture back out to 16:9.

Anyone else have any similar trouble?

Looking at both sub-channels OTA on my two TVs, both my Sony and Samsung show 480i, 16x9 in the info bar. On my Sony, I have no option to change the picture size, though it displays correctly at 16x9 (on 9.1, I have the options of "Wide", "Zoom", etc). On the Samsung, the only picture size options I have are 16x9 and 4x3, (which actually changes the setting for all 480i content on the TV).

What brand/models do you have that work, and which doesn't?
post #4780 of 4956 Old 10-17-2011, 08:07 AM
uhf

A crawl on KCRG right now says that 9.2 is now Eastern Iowa's My Network TV affiliate. I see nothing about this on their website at this time.

post #4781 of 4956 Old 10-17-2011, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Another observation..... Picked up sub channel 7-99 the other night when I used my portable. It was audio only, but I didn't listen long enough to figure out what the source was.
post #4782 of 4956 Old 10-17-2011, 10:08 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by uhf View Post

A crawl on KCRG right now says that 9.2 is now Eastern Iowa's My Network TV affiliate. I see nothing about this on their website at this time.

Looks like they're running it from 12:05-2:05 a.m.
post #4783 of 4956 Old 10-19-2011, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CR_Client View Post

Looking at both sub-channels OTA on my two TVs, both my Sony and Samsung show 480i, 16x9 in the info bar. On my Sony, I have no option to change the picture size, though it displays correctly at 16x9 (on 9.1, I have the options of "Wide", "Zoom", etc). On the Samsung, the only picture size options I have are 16x9 and 4x3, (which actually changes the setting for all 480i content on the TV).

What brand/models do you have that work, and which doesn't?

I have 4 TVs. Only one has an issue and it is a 32" Westinghouse refurbished 720p HDTV. I can get the model number later if it makes a difference.
post #4784 of 4956 Old 10-19-2011, 08:04 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
This afternoon KGAN posted on Twitter that they have a new Master Control and that we should expect to see more HD programming. I wonder if the local news or other local programming will be HD anytime soon.

Quote:

KGAN_CBS2KGAN CBS 2
Thanks to hours of hard work by our dedicated employees, we're now able to bring you a clearer picture and even more HD programming.

Quote:

KGAN_CBS2KGAN CBS 2
Here's a picture of our new "Master Control" system, next to the old one: http://pic.twitter.com/4UWNfay6

https://twitter.com/#!/KGAN_CBS2/sta.../photo/1/large

Quote:

KGAN_CBS2KGAN CBS 2
Be sure to tune in to the CBS 2 News at Six -- you'll get the latest news, weather, and a chance to see our enhanced picture quality!

post #4785 of 4956 Old 10-20-2011, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryP2 View Post

This afternoon KGAN posted on Twitter that they have a new Master Control and that we should expect to see more HD programming. I wonder if the local news or other local programming will be HD anytime soon.

https://twitter.com/#!/KGAN_CBS2/sta.../photo/1/large

Syndicated programs will now be in HD. Local HD or wide screen news will come in a few months.

Jim Wright
Regional Engineering Manager
Sinclair Broadcast Group
post #4786 of 4956 Old 10-21-2011, 06:34 AM

Thanks Jim - it's great to see Sinclair investing and improving our local stations. Does KFXA get the master control upgrade also? Last night during the top of the 7th inning of World Series Game 2, coverage switched to SD for about 10 minutes just before 9 PM (at least that's what I saw on ImOn cable). It will be great to reduce or eliminate issues like that going forward.
post #4787 of 4956 Old 10-21-2011, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryP2 View Post

Thanks Jim - it's great to see Sinclair investing and improving our local stations. Does KFXA get the master control upgrade also? Last night during the top of the 7th inning of World Series Game 2, coverage switched to SD for about 10 minutes just before 9 PM (at least that's what I saw on ImOn cable). It will be great to reduce or eliminate issues like that going forward.

Yes it's a dual master control, both are now HD. The SD problem last night was another glitch in the system! Still working out the bugs in a very complicated automation system running on PC's.

Jim Wright
Regional Engineering Manager
Sinclair Broadcast Group
post #4788 of 4956 Old 11-05-2011, 08:23 AM

So Sinclair has gone HD. Does anyone know how long their current contract with Mediacom is? I imagine they're going to try to extort soak us Mediacom subsribers for a bunch when that contract goes up for renewal...

Here comes yet another bill hike for free OTA TV!
post #4789 of 4956 Old 11-09-2011, 03:09 PM

Quote:

Does anyone know how long their current contract with Mediacom is?

Search this topic here with the word "sinclair" and you'll see the answer.

HD since Sept 2005
post #4790 of 4956 Old 11-11-2011, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowahawkeye View Post

Search this topic here with the word "sinclair" and you'll see the answer.

That's OK I've got better things to do than read 160 pages to find some answer I don't really care about to begin with.

I don't watch Sinclair stations due to their political "leanings" (IE: slightly to the right of Hitler) and I also get my local channels OTA so it really doesn't matter to me. I was simply pointing this out for other Mediacom subscribers as a nice "something to look forward to"
post #4791 of 4956 Old 11-13-2011, 09:25 PM

Quote:

That's OK I've got better things to do than read 160 pages to find some answer I don't really care about to begin with.

You don't have to read any of the pages, that's what the search function is for.

HD since Sept 2005
post #4792 of 4956 Old 11-14-2011, 08:17 AM

I believe Mediacom and Sinclair signed a two-year agreement, back in December 2010.
post #4793 of 4956 Old 11-25-2011, 06:50 AM

A couple of new Clear QAM HD additions in Cedar Rapids on Im On.

Reported on their facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ImOnCommuni...t=feed_comment

Quote:

Two of the HD manual tune channels have been set - Discovery HD 79-48 and TLC HD is 87-4. We'll let you know the manual tune for Animal Planet HD soon.

post #4794 of 4956 Old 11-27-2011, 08:30 PM

So all three newscasts in Des Moines have been HD since April 2011, and all three newscasts in the Quad Cities have been all HD since September 2011.

And the Cedar Rapids market... still just KWWL, who launched all the way back in April 2010.

It looks like $inclair, yes, THAT Sinclair, might even beat KCRG to HD news based on the latest posts. Fascinating.

I realize betting on Sinclair to spend money is never a winning proposition, but who do you think launches a true HD newscast first? KCRG or KGAN? When does CR finally join DSM & the QCA with the big three all broadcasting news in HD?
post #4795 of 4956 Old 11-28-2011, 07:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brew View Post

So all three newscasts in Des Moines have been HD since April 2011, and all three newscasts in the Quad Cities have been all HD since September 2011.

And the Cedar Rapids market... still just KWWL, who launched all the way back in April 2010.

It looks like $inclair, yes, THAT Sinclair, might even beat KCRG to HD news based on the latest posts. Fascinating.

I realize betting on Sinclair to spend money is never a winning proposition, but who do you think launches a true HD newscast first? KCRG or KGAN? When does CR finally join DSM & the QCA with the big three all broadcasting news in HD?

KCRG should beat $inclair, as KCRG actually has most of the equipment necessary to make HD news happen. HD Master Control is only a teeny-tiny piece of the equation to get to local HD news.

I'll just be happy when the local broadcasting/commercials are finally in HD/widescreen, especially the national advertisements that are run during local ad time.
post #4796 of 4956 Old 11-29-2011, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CR_Client View Post

KCRG should beat $inclair, as KCRG actually has most of the equipment necessary to make HD news happen. HD Master Control is only a teeny-tiny piece of the equation to get to local HD news.

I'll just be happy when the local broadcasting/commercials are finally in HD/widescreen, especially the national advertisements that are run during local ad time.

I actually like the "matte" commercial format, makes it easier to see when to stop fast-forwarding. When the picture goes back to full-frame, usually a good time to hit play.
post #4797 of 4956 Old 12-15-2011, 11:22 AM

post #4798 of 4956 Old 01-04-2012, 01:37 PM

Quote:

No updates there for awhile, and no new set on the news, has this been put on hold again?
post #4799 of 4956 Old 01-06-2012, 08:41 PM
uhf

They're running new bumpers announcing a "New" KCRG 9 coming soon. I think HD newcasts are just around the corner.

post #4800 of 4956 Old 01-06-2012, 09:16 PM

Showtime has a free preview weekend going on through many cable providers. ImOn has eight channels unencrypted and available for viewing without the need for a set top box. Here are the Clear QAM channels I found that should work all weekend.

SHO 2 – 39.19
SHOWTIME HD – 76.4
SHO NEXT – 80.10
SHO WOMEN – 80.12
SHOWTIME – 124.15
SHOWTIME SHOWCASE – 124.17
SHO EXTREME – 124.18
SHO BEYOND – 124.19
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page