Forum Jump: 

post #4801 of 4956 Old 01-09-2012, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgarringer View Post

No updates there for awhile, and no new set on the news, has this been put on hold again?

It's coming. Here's a post from Devlin Design Group on the progress of installing the new KCRG set: Something is Brewing at KCRG!

(Note: Comments and other information in my posts are strictly my opinions only and not those of my employer or their parent company and network.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4802 of 4956 Old 01-09-2012, 03:28 PM

Liked: 11
Link doesn't work.
post #4803 of 4956 Old 01-09-2012, 04:47 PM - Thread Starter

Hmmm, guess AVS doesn't like bit-ly links. I fixed it.

http://www.ddgtv.com/blog/something-...ng-at-kcrg-14/

(Note: Comments and other information in my posts are strictly my opinions only and not those of my employer or their parent company and network.)
post #4804 of 4956 Old 01-09-2012, 10:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc0bsn View Post

Hmmm, guess AVS doesn't like bit-ly links. I fixed it.

http://www.ddgtv.com/blog/something-...ng-at-kcrg-14/

It looks like they have a desk to sit behind, so hopefully their version of "Fresh and New" isn't the same as KGAN and KFXA's "stand in front of a giant green screen that looks like a studio" amateur hour.
post #4805 of 4956 Old 01-10-2012, 07:41 AM

FWIW, the last rumor I heard was that they are planning on launching the HD newscast this month. Of course that was what was the news in August, so that might have changed.

It seems that it isn't just a studio camera upgrade, it's everything that goes on air that will be getting updated. (ENG, set, Control Room, etc.)

Has the TX power boost gone into effect yet?
post #4806 of 4956 Old 01-10-2012, 05:02 PM

Why would KCRG hide the upgrade? Why not advertise it? It's not like Sinclair is going to one up them at the other stations.
post #4807 of 4956 Old 01-11-2012, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsduke View Post

Why would KCRG hide the upgrade? Why not advertise it? It's not like Sinclair is going to one up them at the other stations.

Agreed, there would be no reason to. That coupled with the fact that the updates abruptly stopped on the website previously linked to makes you begin to wonder.
post #4808 of 4956 Old 01-11-2012, 08:04 PM

Liked: 12
They did post this preview video of a new logo on their Facebook page a few days ago:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10100437610621770
post #4809 of 4956 Old 01-13-2012, 11:49 AM

Quote:

Agreed, there would be no reason to. That coupled with the fact that the updates abruptly stopped on the website previously linked to makes you begin to wonder.

It is better to underpromise and over-deliver.

Perhaps that's what they're trying to do. Especially with so many moving parts, better to just keep quiet and launch when you're ready than giving out dates or promises.

I've noticed most of the HD launches have been very quiet and soft. Especially because the first few newscasts don't always go smoothly.
post #4810 of 4956 Old 01-13-2012, 11:55 AM

KWWL hyped there HD launch.
post #4811 of 4956 Old 01-13-2012, 03:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I remember wwhen my ABC affiliate here in Chicago hyped it up big time. But, they had a big crew on hand to do it, and got it done in one day. They had glitches, they all do. I don't know if they tested it offline, or what. But they did it inbetween newscasts...on a Saturday.

The NBC affiliate went HD on a 1 AM broadcast, normally a rerun! The anchors explained they were living and doing a "test run" of their new HD equipment. You could tell they were tired! The next night, they went back to SD. I think they did thiss a few nights in a row, so it was a long week for them! Finally, the week after, after evaluating the glitches and correcting them, they went live. It was almost flawless. One flaw was that it was TOO good: they had no skin filters on the cameras, so every facial blemish could now be seen. And unfortunately, there was a lot to be seen! A few months later, I believe, they put on a mild filter. But the first night, I remember seeing a staffer's desk in the newsroom with a photo of presumably him and his wife hugging each other. But I don't think they had the staffing that ABC does. So they definitely did it right. One station went HD, and didn't announce it for 4 days. They were "testing new equipment", and all of a sudden, after it was obvious they were having no major issues, they announced that "tonight, we'll officially be in HD!".

I offer this advice: if you know a station is really close to going HD, and gives a "hard launch" date, watch for tests the week or two before. Maybe a 1 AM rerun is live, and HD. Or a 5 PM, or on their least-watched newscast on a Saturday night.

Gilbert
post #4812 of 4956 Old 01-17-2012, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsduke View Post

KWWL hyped there HD launch.

They *teased* their launch and still didn't give out hard dates until they were really really close.

And they were obviously ready because their first few newscasts were very good. Not perfect, but quite good.

KCRG is teasing their launch now too.
post #4813 of 4956 Old 01-20-2012, 07:12 AM
uhf

I'm going to predict that we'll see the "New Nine" sometime over this weekend. They were off air overnight, and having problems today. The Facebook page says they are upgrading equipment today and we'll like the changes.

The comments and opinions expressed in my posts are strictly my own and are not necessarily those of my employer or anyone else.
post #4814 of 4956 Old 01-20-2012, 05:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhf View Post

I'm going to predict that we'll see the "New Nine" sometime over this weekend. They were off air overnight, and having problems today. The Facebook page says they are upgrading equipment today and we'll like the changes.

Heh. They just accidentally aired about 5 seconds worth of HD local news between two commercials about 60 seconds ago, in the middle of Shark Tank. It was just before a Toyota commercial at 7:42, for anyone with a DVR that wants to see it.

Sounds like a safe prediction, UHF.
post #4815 of 4956 Old 01-20-2012, 08:37 PM
Advanced Member

Yup, they're going live tomorrow. They just signed off tonight's news by saying that it's hard to say goodnight, and "goodbye, old friend", but "you'll find out why tomorrow."

Should be interesting, that's for sure.
post #4816 of 4956 Old 01-20-2012, 08:38 PM
uhf

Looks like Saturday will be the launch.

edit: I type too slow

The comments and opinions expressed in my posts are strictly my own and are not necessarily those of my employer or anyone else.
post #4817 of 4956 Old 01-21-2012, 08:08 PM

KCRG's HD is up & running, even with local video in HD.

HD since Sept 2005
post #4818 of 4956 Old 01-21-2012, 08:36 PM

The first two newscasts today were great (6 and 10). Congrats to the engineers and everyone else who made it happen. I particularly liked seeing local sports and other news footage in HD. The framed weather wall looks faded and doesn't made the graphics pop - and the camera wasn't square or centered with the frame for either newscast. Probably need to tone down some the amount of moving graphics behind the anchor.

Looking forward to having live remotes in HD at some point - the remote at 6 of Addison Speck from Iowa City looked dull after most everything else was HD. Nice to see that they talked about the new set and HD but didn't try to change their format or too many other things.
post #4819 of 4956 Old 01-21-2012, 10:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Defnitely need some work on lighting. Thw weather wall looked washed out by the lighting, and Sabel needed a bit more spot lighting.

Nice start!
post #4820 of 4956 Old 01-22-2012, 09:38 AM

Can anbody reach http://www.cbs.com ? Acts like it's been down this am.

HD since Sept 2005
post #4821 of 4956 Old 01-22-2012, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtvincr View Post

Defnitely need some work on lighting. Thw weather wall looked washed out by the lighting, and Sabel needed a bit more spot lighting.

Nice start!

Looks pretty good so far. On the tour they're saying that the "interactive weather wall" is the only one of its type in the US and one of only three in the world.

I'd agree that some of the lighting needs to be adjusted.

The background graphics running on the 244" inch screen behind the anchor desk look a little "busy", especially when they don't have any other graphics up. probably just take some getting used to.

"Heavily Medicated For Your Safety!"
post #4822 of 4956 Old 01-23-2012, 06:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggerg56 View Post

Looks pretty good so far. On the tour they're saying that the "interactive weather wall" is the only one of its type in the US and one of only three in the world.

Yea, I saw that. It will be a shame if they have something that unique and it continues to looked washed out.

With HD, folks want crisp, clear, snappy graphics and pointing to a giant video screen with poor lighting to boot is going to be a huge disappointment.
post #4823 of 4956 Old 01-23-2012, 07:14 AM
Advanced Member

Speaking of lighting, the 7AM and 8 AM re-broadcasts of the morning news this morning on 9.2 were very dark. Looking at the 9 AM re-broadcast, it looks like they changed something in the settings and have the brightness turned up where it needs to be.

And, even though it's being broadcast in anamorphic 480i, you can still tell that there was an upgrade to the system, because it still looks pretty darn good on 9.2.
post #4824 of 4956 Old 01-23-2012, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtvincr View Post

Yea, I saw that. It will be a shame if they have something that unique and it continues to looked washed out.

With HD, folks want crisp, clear, snappy graphics and pointing to a giant video screen with poor lighting to boot is going to be a huge disappointment.

I was having a very hard time actually reading the traffic condition maps today thankfully they cut to full screen instead of camera pointed at the board. That board is going to take some getting used to.

Saw a live report through what appeared to be skype, there was no audio, but the video was widescreen and kind-of HD, although very low bandwidth. Interesting but I hope they get a way to get true 720p back to the studio.
post #4825 of 4956 Old 01-23-2012, 01:41 PM

Quote:

Interesting but I hope they get a way to get true 720p back to the studio.

I read on the KCRG site that they will be using portable backpack units - probably LiveU or something similar. LiveU can aggregate up to 14 3G/4G cellular channels and deliver up to 1080i. I saw some streaming video from CES a couple weeks ago and it was impressive. The days are numbered where we'll see the old microwave vans with tall masts.

The live feed of Jill Kasparie this morning between 6-7 AM from the old courthouse looked very good and appeared to be HD or at least something much better than SD.
post #4826 of 4956 Old 02-03-2012, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Crazy very very low freq bass last night on KCRG 9.1 at a low level when I sat near my subwoofer.

My SVS PC-Ultra subwoofer hardly gets a break except for a few of the commercials.
post #4827 of 4956 Old 02-08-2012, 02:25 PM

Someone else suggested that the poor lighting might be a requirement to prevent glare on the giant Telestrainer. It makes sense that if you light the anchors faces, that light is going to reflect off the display behind them.

Tricky, tricky. Chromakey might have had more benefits.
post #4828 of 4956 Old 02-11-2012, 07:47 AM
Advanced Member

It's my understanding that the lighting in the new studio is 90-100% LED, and the shuttering system for LED studio lights is quite a bit different than on PAR cans, which makes it a little harder to keep the light where you want it to be.

The chromakey that KCRG was using looked pretty horrible towards the end of their SD period, honestly. I don't know if the equipment was out of alignment or what was going on, but there was tons of halo-ing in the hair area, and even shadow problems with the meteorologists.

I think the most interesting part of the switch to the interactive wall is the fact that I notice them actually looking at the wall when they're doing the weather, instead of looking at the monitors to the sides to see what they're pointing at. I'm sure it's taken some getting used to for everyone involved.
post #4829 of 4956 Old 03-12-2012, 12:21 PM

NO way would you ever find me on top of a 1768' tower. See it in HD, via helmetcam. 1768' feet straight up ... wait for the cartoon introduction

to finish, then hold on to your seat.

http://edge.liveleak.com/80281E/u/u/...0365%26embed=1

HD since Sept 2005
post #4830 of 4956 Old 03-15-2012, 05:02 AM

According to Facebook, KWWL turned off their transmitter 3/14 at 5pm for a few minutes to remove an "experimental piece of equipment"... any idea what that was about?
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page