Cedar Rapids, IA - HDTV - Page 162 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #4831 of 4956 Old 04-08-2012, 03:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My DirecTV receiver says KGAN is broadcasting in 720p. When I switch to KWWL, it switches to 1080i, and when I change back to KGAN it goes back to 720p. I thought CBS stations broadcast in 1080i. I am guessing this has something to do with the fact that KGAN and KFXA are broadcast out of the same facility. Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4832 of 4956 Old 04-08-2012, 06:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 71
KGAN is a Sinclair-owned affiliate, not a CBS O&O. KGAN is 720P as is sister station KFXA.
post #4833 of 4956 Old 04-08-2012, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brew View Post

My DirecTV receiver says KGAN is broadcasting in 720p. When I switch to KWWL, it switches to 1080i, and when I change back to KGAN it goes back to 720p. I thought CBS stations broadcast in 1080i. I am guessing this has something to do with the fact that KGAN and KFXA are broadcast out of the same facility. Any ideas?

That's correct. We're converting the 1080 to 720. Both stations run off the same server so that works better. News in 16x9 starts today.

Jim Wright
Regional Engineering Manager
Sinclair Broadcast Group
post #4834 of 4956 Old 04-09-2012, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectSHO89 View Post

KGAN is a Sinclair-owned affiliate, not a CBS O&O. KGAN is 720P as is sister station KFXA.

I understand the ownership of KGAN and KFXA, but CBS network programming is broadcast in 1080i, so the overwhelming majority of CBS affiliates broadcast in 1080i too.

However, given the ownership structure and technical setup of KGAN and KFXA, and given that FOX network programming broadcasts in 720p, I can understand why it's easier to just run both in 720p. Given Mr. Wright's response, it's clear they have decided to do exactly that.
post #4835 of 4956 Old 04-16-2012, 10:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Hey, anyone know how Imon treats CCI (Copy Control Information) for CableCard? I'm currently a Dish sub, but Imon is deploying (fiber I think) to my neighborhood, and I'm debating if I want to switch when the light it up.

Right now I use SageTV as my DVR and an R5000/HD PVR/Colossus to record off Dish. I know Imon has a lot of HD channels in clear, but most of their other channels are not clear, so I'm curious if they're flagged Copy Freely, if I could get a CableCard tuner and continue using SageTV, or if I'd have to switch to Windows Media Center.

Of course the other thing I have to weight is if it's worth giving up BBC America HD or not. Oh and the price, it looks like Imon would actually be more expensive than my current Dish Gold HD/AT250 whatever + Centurylink 12Mbps.

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do, see movies the way they were meant to be seen
post #4836 of 4956 Old 04-16-2012, 06:46 PM

Your best bet will be to hit up their Facebook and see if you can get in contact with an engineer there. I doubt anyone here can answer those questions.

Most of ImOn channels are not encrypted, not sure where you got that information, they have few encrypted QAM channels. With the exception of HBO and Showtime and some NFL network all their other HD channels are in the clear. And all their standard def is supposed to be NTSC not QAM so you're good there as well. I really can't imagine why anyone would need CableCard with ImOn.

I don't get video services from ImOn so I am going from memory, and their SD content doesn't interest me (I don't watch SD programs) so that may be incorrect.

Final edit: unless ImOn is trying something completely new their network is HFC so it is Coax network, although they're a true 1GHz system (Mediacom is 800MHz) which means they use all RG-6QS (Quad Shield) coax cable. It's thicker than regular RG-6. But it's only fiber to the node, same as Mediacom.
post #4837 of 4956 Old 05-14-2012, 07:15 AM
AVS Special Member

First - hi, all. I'll admit - I haven't been around here for a long time - everything has been working fine, great pictures, nothing to complain about (except losing the penultimate episode of "Parks and Rec" just to watch a storm near the Missouri border.

But now I am having problems - I'm still holding out, using my old Sony DVR - the DHG500. Which, sadly, is a brick without TVGIOS to give it program data and TIME. (btw, great design choice, there. ) I had been using IPTV, but the Sony reports it isn't receiving any data packets. Previously I'd also had luck with Channel 3 in Mason City, but that doesn't seem to work either.

I know - its almost a dead issue around here, but does anyone know of a station broadcasting TVGIOS ota? I still have my rotor-ized antenna on a tower, I can pickup quite a few stations; if you can point me to a station still broadcasting TVGIOS data, I'll just point at it and be good to go.

Thanks. And again, good to see the familiar names after all this time.

Jon

Denon DVP - everyone else loves it.
post #4838 of 4956 Old 05-14-2012, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingvee View Post

I know - its almost a dead issue around here, but does anyone know of a station broadcasting TVGIOS ota?

Have you checked the RabbitEars.info site?
post #4839 of 4956 Old 05-14-2012, 07:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivorygate View Post

Have you checked the RabbitEars.info site?

Yes - thanks. I had, your link is more recent than the one I checked, but still - yes. I had been using KRIN - but for the last two days I haven't received any packets from them - that's why I was wondering if their TVGIOS was broken, or if they'd stopped; and - if so - if there were any other alternates.

OH - yes indeed - your link IS more current. According to that, KIMT still IS broadcasting TVGIOS. Looks like its time for a turn to the north.

Thanks.

(and if my friend who knows of IPTV is still around, maybe he can chime in if they're still indeed broadcasting as the list says they are.)

Jon

post #4840 of 4956 Old 05-15-2012, 06:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Well - turned my antenna, now pointing to KIMT; the only non PBS TVGIOS station I can get. Left the unit pointed that way, turned off, but on that channel, all nite.

No listings this morning, and clock was still wrong. Doesn't look good. I suppose it's too much to ask for KGAN to do TVGIOS.

Jon

post #4841 of 4956 Old 05-18-2012, 10:36 AM

Liked: 11
Watching primetime scripted programming that's DVR'd on Mediacom in Iowa City. Never had this problem until about a month ago. It doesn't take too much motion to start the macro blocking either. Any body else notice this dvr'd of watching live?

HD since Sept 2005
post #4842 of 4956 Old 05-18-2012, 11:55 AM

Same issue with KCRG here in Cedar Rapids, getting signal OTA 9.1 -- no signal strength issues I have 99% quality. Was going to watch a show called "The Chew" today, and it was unwatchable due to macroblocking every time there was motion.

Some commercials have the trouble, others don't. The local news is very bad, all the graphical swooshes look like YouTube low quality videos.
post #4843 of 4956 Old 05-18-2012, 12:14 PM

There were a couple of commericals on the chew today that showed macroblocking, while I was watching "live", so I know it's not a problem with my DVR.

HD since Sept 2005
post #4844 of 4956 Old 05-20-2012, 08:40 PM

Anyone else having problems with KCRG? I had a very good signal 3 days ago, but dropped down to 1 red the last 2 days and I can't figure out why. Nothing in my system has changed and all of my other stations are just as good as they always have been.
post #4845 of 4956 Old 05-21-2012, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprtfan View Post

Anyone else having problems with KCRG? I had a very good signal 3 days ago, but dropped down to 1 red the last 2 days and I can't figure out why. Nothing in my system has changed and all of my other stations are just as good as they always have been.

No change in signal quality or strength on 9 for me from SW Cedar Rapids.
post #4846 of 4956 Old 05-21-2012, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgarringer View Post

No change in signal quality or strength on 9 for me from SW Cedar Rapids.

Thanks, I guess I'll have to start looking at my setup. Seems strange that only 9 was effected while 7 and others are still working fine and are much further away.
post #4847 of 4956 Old 05-22-2012, 09:31 PM
Advanced Member

KCRG-DT was breaking up during the first ten or so minutes of the 10 o'clock news tonight live over MediaCom Cable, so it might not be a home antenna setup problem.

And also during the 10:40-10:43 timeframe during 2 1/2 Men. OTA, I wasn't having a single issue.
post #4848 of 4956 Old 05-23-2012, 07:39 PM
uhf

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingvee View Post

I had been using KRIN - but for the last two days I haven't received any packets from them - that's why I was wondering if their TVGIOS was broken, or if they'd stopped

I haven't heard anything. I'll do some checking and post back if I do hear anything.

The comments and opinions expressed in my posts are strictly my own and are not necessarily those of my employer or anyone else.
post #4849 of 4956 Old 08-13-2012, 09:00 PM

Looks like Dish is about to cut off KGAN & KFXA on 8/15 at midnight. Interesting.
http://www.cbs2iowa.com/
http://www.fox28iowa.com/

HD since Sept 2005
post #4850 of 4956 Old 08-13-2012, 11:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Dish vs. Sinclair

just like 3 years ago
post #4851 of 4956 Old 08-14-2012, 11:45 AM

Does KGAN even do their news in HD yet?

EDIT: Nope, and it appears they're the only news station IN THE STATE that doesn't yet.
post #4852 of 4956 Old 08-14-2012, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brew View Post

Does KGAN even do their news in HD yet?
EDIT: Nope, and it appears they're the only news station IN THE STATE that doesn't yet.

KGAN/KFXA updated the plant to HD at the end of last year, but the cameras are 16x9 SD.
Complete conversion to HD is being planned.

Jim Wright
Sinclair Broadcast Group
post #4853 of 4956 Old 08-14-2012, 09:20 PM

Dish Could Lose 70 Local Stations This Week
By Swanni
Washington, D.C. (August 14, 2012)
Dish Network could lose more than 70 local stations owned and operated by Sinclair Broadcasting unless the two companies can reach a new carriage agreement by Wednesday at midnight.

Rest of the article is here: http://www.tvpredictions.com/dishsinclair081412.htm

Dish, Sinclair Retrans Feud Threatens Station Blackouts in 45 Cities
Satellite operator says Sinclair demanding 'massive' price hike

"Dish senior vice president Dave Shull said in a statement, "We carry more than 1,800 local broadcast stations nationwide. Sinclair is asking for more than any other station anywhere in the country. This goes beyond pure corporate greed -- it's profoundly insensitive to the needs of the public."

Read the rest below:
http://www.tvpredictions.com/dishsinclair081412.htm

Updated: Dish, Sinclair Retrans Feud Threatens Station Blackouts In 45 Cities

Satellite Operator Says Sinclair Demanding 'Massive' Price Hike

http://www.multichannel.com/article/488487-Updated_Dish_Sinclair_Retrans_Feud_Threatens_Station_Blackouts_In_45_Cities.php

HD since Sept 2005
post #4854 of 4956 Old 08-21-2012, 07:20 PM

Has anyone else been having issues with KFXA OTA lately? Every so often the signal cuts out for a second and then comes back. I'm not experiencing this with the other stations that I watch. Viewing the signal strength screen on my TV, the signal will go from 10 bars (full strength) to zero and then back to ten. This only takes a split second but it takes a second or two for the image to recover.

If I'm the only one experiencing this then I guess I'll have to look into my antenna setup but it really seems like a transmission issue especially since there are no storms or wind tonight.
post #4855 of 4956 Old 08-24-2012, 03:17 PM

Saw the Q&A in today's Call the Courier section. I really dislike how he says you need a "digital" antenna. This couldn't be further from the truth.

A. Rod Jackson of KGAN responds: This is a technical question that we get asked about a lot. First a quick primer: Until last year ‘broadcast’ television signals, the type you pick up with an external antennae (whether on your roof or inside your home)were sent into the air in an analog signal. This is where ‘broadcast’ comes from because, it was a very wide signal which was relatively easy to pick up on any antennae anywhere. When the Federal Communications Commission required all television stations to broadcast digitally, the dynamics of the signal changed. Digital signals are much narrower and less forgiving. Compare it this way — the blast of a shotgun (analog) vs. the blast of a rifle (digital). It’s much more difficult to pick up digital signals than broadcast signals.

“There are essentially three ways to improve the signal. 1) Get the channel from a cable or satellite company (these are now all digital, and essentially ‘wire’ the channel into your home); 2) Replace your external antennae with a digital antennae or 3) Replace your internal antennae with a digital version. These come in varying shapes, sizes and costs. Sometimes you may have to get an ‘amplified digital antennae,” which essentially uses electricity to amplify the digital signal. You can find these newer types of antennaes at most retail outlets which sell electronics such as Target, WalMart and Best Buy.”
post #4856 of 4956 Old 09-02-2012, 06:35 AM

YES! My KFXA has been freezing for about a second, every once and awhile. Thought it was just me. Replaced my antenna and also all my feedline coax with no difference. Moved the antenna to another point on my roof. I am pretty darn confident it's not a problem on my end but not 100% sure. None of the other locals do this for me.
post #4857 of 4956 Old 09-02-2012, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgarringer View Post

YES! My KFXA has been freezing for about a second, every once and awhile. Thought it was just me. Replaced my antenna and also all my feedline coax with no difference. Moved the antenna to another point on my roof. I am pretty darn confident it's not a problem on my end but not 100% sure. None of the other locals do this for me.

I don't think it's anything at the station. FYI, we installed a new transmitter mid summer and have a slight increase in power. Could be your receiver or multipath if you're in a poor location.

Jim Wright
Sinclair Broadcast Group
post #4858 of 4956 Old 09-03-2012, 06:46 AM

I am over on the far west side of town by Westdale mall, and pointed the antenna directly at your transmitter. It does this on all my TVs, actually. It could be interference on my end, multipath I suppose, but I have zilch problems on VHF channels which usually show multipath over UHF.

It isn't very frequent, maybe one glitch per 10-15 minutes, and they only last about 1 second. The video just freezes, then after about a second it just starts playing again (skipping about a second). The signal indicator on my TV goes to 0 then bounces right back up to the mid 90s as soon as it comes back.

The problem has been occurring for me for about 3 months now, but I really thought it was my antenna so I never looked in to it. But after I moved the antenna to the other side of the roof and bought a HD1080 instead of the UHF only I was using before and noticed the issue persisted I wasn't exactly sure.
post #4859 of 4956 Old 09-03-2012, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgarringer View Post

I am over on the far west side of town by Westdale mall, and pointed the antenna directly at your transmitter. It does this on all my TVs, actually. It could be interference on my end, multipath I suppose, but I have zilch problems on VHF channels which usually show multipath over UHF.
It isn't very frequent, maybe one glitch per 10-15 minutes, and they only last about 1 second. The video just freezes, then after about a second it just starts playing again (skipping about a second). The signal indicator on my TV goes to 0 then bounces right back up to the mid 90s as soon as it comes back.
The problem has been occurring for me for about 3 months now, but I really thought it was my antenna so I never looked in to it. But after I moved the antenna to the other side of the roof and bought a HD1080 instead of the UHF only I was using before and noticed the issue persisted I wasn't exactly sure.

I f you get me your phone number I can do some testing when I'm in town this week.
my cell 314-852-8355

Jim Wright
Sinclair Broadcast Group
post #4860 of 4956 Old 09-04-2012, 07:20 AM

Just sent you a text with my number, I can't say for sure the problem is not on my end, it is possible it may be........ but that being said two antennas, separate feedline and even moving the location of the antenna and the issues persist.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page