Cedar Rapids, IA - HDTV - Page 165 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

Old 11-27-2013, 06:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It seems as if KPXR is trying to set a world record for the number of subchannels it can shove into its signal. They just added HSN on 48.6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2013, 01:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 23
almost all Ion O&O stations added it. Same in Minneapolis (KPXM)
Old 11-29-2013, 08:08 AM

Wow the PQ on this is atrocious. I know I shouldn't admit this but I sometimes watch QVC late at night, and that was already bad.
Old 01-21-2014, 09:25 AM

Has anyone heard when KGAN will get their new xmitter and antenna in place??? Would really like to get their OTA signal again!!
Old 01-21-2014, 09:51 AM

Over the past few months, off and on, I've been getting 1-3 second drop-outs every 5-15 minutes from KFXA 28. Back on Sunday, January 5, it was horrible watching the Packers/49ers game. So bad that I dug out my good amplified indoor antenna to test OTA directly to my TV. It had the same drop-outs as I was getting on CFU, but even more than was happening through CFU (as it was recording to my TiVo). I've asked friends around here if they ever noticed the same thing from KFXA 28, but no one else seems to have noticed the same issues. The fact that I had the same problem with OTA directly to my TV would seem to rule out CFU and my TiVo. Plus, this isn't happening on any other channel I watch. Anyone else been having problems with KFXA 28? I only started noticing this like in September 2013, never remember that happening before this fall.
Old 01-21-2014, 09:57 AM

This might be off topic, but I live in CR and I've been pretty impressed by the knowledge of the people on this board.

I have a neighbor who is some kind of ham radio operator, and his radio signal cuts out our OTA reception whenever he is transmitting. In fact, another neighbor told me that the transmissions came through his AM/FM kitchen radio when the kitchen radio wasn't even turned on. Is there anything we can do to shield our signal? Several neighbors have approached the ham radio operator, but he more or less told us to take a hike and said that his license gave him the freedom to do whatever he wanted. I've known a few ham radio guys in my day, and they have always gone out of their way to be good neighbors. This is a first. Any suggestions?

Thank you for any suggestions.
Old 01-21-2014, 10:39 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivorygate View Post

Over the past few months, off and on, I've been getting 1-3 second drop-outs every 5-15 minutes from KFXA 28. Back on Sunday, January 5, it was horrible watching the Packers/49ers game. So bad that I dug out my good amplified indoor antenna to test OTA directly to my TV. It had the same drop-outs as I was getting on CFU, but even more than was happening through CFU (as it was recording to my TiVo). I've asked friends around here if they ever noticed the same thing from KFXA 28, but no one else seems to have noticed the same issues. The fact that I had the same problem with OTA directly to my TV would seem to rule out CFU and my TiVo. Plus, this isn't happening on any other channel I watch. Anyone else been having problems with KFXA 28? I only started noticing this like in September 2013, never remember that happening before this fall.

I'm in Marion and I've had similar issues with KFXA. However, I first noticed it when I first tried OTA a couple of years ago. With a new tv I recently got, I've been playing with OTA again and at first KFXA seemed to be doing better, but then i noticed that my signal was getting a little weaker and the drop outs started again. I have also had dropouts with KGAN and KWKB, but I haven't checked them often enough to see if they are still having problems. Fox (KFXA) was always the worst anyways.
Old 01-22-2014, 10:22 PM

I have not noticed any problems with KFXA OTA (I currently don't have cable or sat), but then again I'm only five miles away from the transmitter. That suggests the signal isn't dying entirely, but it still could be briefly dropping in strength for some reason.

Not saying it's related to this problem, but while driving back from Shellsburg one night last week, I happened to notice that the beacon lights on KFXA's tower weren't working. It didn't appear to be a power outage because the surrounding farms still had their yard lights on. The beacons did eventually came back on again after a few minutes. I wonder if there might be some sort of electrical issues happening in the transmitter building.
Old 01-23-2014, 06:52 AM

Of course, I finally post this about KFXA and so far this week I haven't noticed a single blip.
Old 01-23-2014, 08:38 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I'm so fed up with KWWL blocking a quarter of their HD primetime broadcast with weather and school cancellation updates. It's absolutely ridiculous. Are they trying to force me to use Hulu or go to NBC's website? Why not a smaller scrolling bar or better yet a quick message to let us know there is weather and cancellation information on one of their sub channels or online at KWWL.com. I mean this isn't the 70's where the only place you could that information was on TV. Oh, and the nice big ad for Dalton Plumbing and Heating or whomever on top of the bar is a nice touch. I guess it's another revenue stream but what's the point if you're driving viewers to other mediums to watch our favorite primetime shows?
Old 01-24-2014, 07:13 AM

Guppyman, it's Iowa, we have like, what, 20 guaranteed days where we don't have bad weather of one sort or the other. That's 20 days of pristine prime-time viewing of NBC shows!
Yep, I agree, it gets old.
Old 01-28-2014, 12:46 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by guppyman View Post

I'm so fed up with KWWL blocking a quarter of their HD primetime broadcast with weather and school cancellation updates. It's absolutely ridiculous. Are they trying to force me to use Hulu or go to NBC's website? Why not a smaller scrolling bar or better yet a quick message to let us know there is weather and cancellation information on one of their sub channels or online at KWWL.com. I mean this isn't the 70's where the only place you could that information was on TV. Oh, and the nice big ad for Dalton Plumbing and Heating or whomever on top of the bar is a nice touch. I guess it's another revenue stream but what's the point if you're driving viewers to other mediums to watch our favorite primetime shows?
It would be nice if the FCC would step in and come up with some specs about drags across the bottom of the screen. Here's my list for starters:
A. Max font size of the station logo AND it's position as to how close to the edge & bottom it should be. Currently there too far away from the bottom & side, plus there too large. (And we don't want to here about your tv is way over scanning and making it "appear" that all the info the stations are showing is at the edge/bottom of the screen. If your tv over scans to much, get it adjusted. I'd give the TV mfg's one year to get their TV's setup right at the factory to display the stations ENTIRE picture. I think most LCD's & Plasma's do now. My 8 year old Sammy 61" DLP over scanned quite a ways, but my new 60" LCD is right on.
B. Max height of the bottom scowl. For one thing it's WAY TO HIGH from the bottom of the screen. There's probably 40-60 lines wasted on a LCD 1080 screen, and we sure don't need that 3rd line in the drag that says "KWWL.COM" There should also be a spec on which line in a 720 or 1080 line tv would be the "top/highest" line the "drag" could be.
C. Any and all drags across the bottom of the screen would have to be run at ALL TIMES, even across commercials and across the bottom of all the stations programming, including their "local news".
There, I'm finished now.

HD since Sept 2005
Old 01-28-2014, 09:34 PM

Come to think of it, the FCC should of used the 16x9 format for all tv programming, but the broadcast signal & TV's should have been 16x10. Then the drag could have been placed in the unused portion of the lower screen in the lower "10" area. You could have even covered it up and not affect the 16x9 picture. smile.gif
What KWWL is doing is really bad, not only do they squeeze it up to make room for the drag, but they also clip off the top 10% of the 16x9 to boot.

HD since Sept 2005
Old 01-30-2014, 11:20 AM

Looks like King Street Wireless has officially begun operations in the Cedar Rapids area. I know KGAN is already planning to move away from channel 51 to avoid interference from KSW, but this changeover has not occurred yet. Hopefully there won't be any major issues during this overlap, but we'll just have to wait and see.

Source: http://muscatinejournal.com/lifestyles/announcements/legals/attention-station-kgan-tv-channel-viewers/article_67a735a4-7724-11e3-b8a4-001a4bcf887a.html

KGAN is still coming in loud and clear for me here, but of course I'm much closer to the tower than Cedar Rapids. Anyone else noticing any issues now?
Old 02-06-2014, 03:29 PM

KWWL ia not the only OTA station that uses excessive scrolling for weather alerts continuously. The other station do the same. The only exception is PBS. The amount of space devoted to them, the distracting scrolling, the ads placed in the scroll, all make the actual program content unwatchable. Not that this is anything new. The usual logo placements, the program promotions, and other distractions during actual programming have made watching TV a hopeless activity. It is the reason I do not watch broadcast television anymore except for PBS. My advice is turn off your set and give networks the message that their audience is the public and not the corporate advertisers.
Old 02-09-2014, 10:53 AM

KWWL & KGAN have particularly bad cancellation/weather scrolling. Do these broadcast executives actually think people like seeing cancellations repeated dozens of times??? Really!!! They should use their secondary channels for this type of service, it would offend fewer people. When you cover a huge area, as these stations do, weather statements only affect a small percentage of viewers, alienating the vast majority. In addition, as the weather system slowly moves across their viewing area these scrolls go on forever- all night long!! Really not conducive to long term viewing, loose a few more points in the ratings! TV Broadcasters need to rethink the weather/cancellation scroll policy used at their stations, are they really in the best interest of the public or are they advertising revenue producers. Think about it broadcasters.
Old 02-09-2014, 02:02 PM

Just got around to watching my recorded latest Blacklist episode. The scrolling bar is beyond obnoxious - it makes the show pretty unwatchable. Are they trying to drive their viewers to Netflix, Hulu Plus or even back to the NBC website to watch TV shows?

This just plain idiotic. In this day and age you can get text alerts, emails or go to websites to find this information. Never once when my kids were in school did I need a local station to show me the cancellations. I personally don't think it's necessary at all but if it has to be done, it should be a thin line at the bottom of the screen where it wouldn't effect the broadcast quality of the show. But I guess Dalton Plumbing and Heating wouldn't pay for the advertising if it was that small.

Surely the ABC, NBC, CBS and Fox must have corporate standards for this sort of thing.
Old 02-09-2014, 09:27 PM

KWWL, where's your drag during your newscast? (Sunday 10:20pm) I see that KGAN & KCRG run their drag on their news AND commercials, but I don't see your (KWWL) drag during your news/commercials.

HD since Sept 2005
Old 02-10-2014, 09:16 PM

So I contacted KWWL to complain about the large scrolling bar across the bottom of the screen during prime time broadcasts. Here was the response:

Mike,
Thank you for taking the time to email KWWL.
I can tell you are frustrated by the use of our School and Event cancellation crawl.

KWWL is a public trust. We are trusted with the public "airwaves". Because of that trust we must due diligence to make sure that important information reaches the viewing public. That includes local, public and private institutions that cancel or postpone events.

Our station provides, for free, all of the examples that you suggest for viewers to obtain this information (text alerts, email alerts, and website page devoted to cancellations).
There is a slight flaw in the logic used when suggesting only those options.
All of those are paid services, i.e. cellphone plan, and internet coverage.
What KWWL provides is the gap of coverage, that is created by the other options, for free.
OTA television provides not only entertainment, but breaking news and severe weather coverage for free.

We are not intentionally forcing people to Netflix (delayed by season), NBC/Hulu (delayed by day - for pay or week for "free" viewing) but understand that some viewers find uninterrupted signal, even though heavily compressed, more enjoyable.

Mike, KWWL is always thankful for feedback, of any kind, from our viewers and I want to thank you again for taking the time to email.
We will take into account this email, as well as the feedback that I review on the user forum.
If you would like to contact me with any questions, please feel free. (number at the bottom)

Regards,

Jeremy Ott, CTO©
Operations Manager
KWWL
thisTV, MeTV
Old 02-11-2014, 07:55 AM

Guppyman,

Thanks for sharing the letter you received from KWWL. I found it interesting that the logic of the response was the opposite of the rationale I got a few months ago when I e-mailed KCRG about their dumping of their Weather sub-channel. I wish I still had the response. I believe that the bottom-line is, well, it's the 'bottom-line'. Scrawls and sub-channels are revenue streams for local stations. This makes a mockery of the claim that they are 'concerned' about the public trust. Other stations seem to do very well with single scrawl lines that are informative and relatively unobtrusive without placement ads and distracting flash effects.
Old 02-11-2014, 03:28 PM

I noticed the Mr. Ott did not address the "commercialized" aspect of their cancel/WX crawl. If this is indeed done in the "...public trust," then why is there a commercial for a plumbing company on the crawl? Why is the KWWL logo and time/temp on the crawl. These two thing are what adds to the loss of about 1/3 of the screen. Its bad enough to see the same announcements dozens of times, but to needlessly loose 1/3 of the viewing area to have KWWL promote themselves and a sponsor is just wrong! Sorry to vent like this but the local stations are just way overboard on these crawls, KGAN drops the HD signal to run the crawls on their station. Why do they do that??? OK, enough from me on this subject. Have a great day and lets hope the weather improves soon.
Old 02-12-2014, 08:24 PM

Skip and Tommymack. I couldn't agree with your comments more.

I personally believe the "public trust" comment was a load of horse hockey. I'm actually amazed that they can attempt to come up with any honest (or dishonest) response that makes any sense at all. As far as I know, they are not non-profit entities. They need to make money. So why ruin your top viewing times by adding a bunch of stuff that blocks up to a third of the screen and scrunch the program content with the result being irritated viewers who will then watch the same program content somewhere else without the crawl? Seems counter productive to me. If they are really a "public trust", why the advertising? I'm mean, really, can anybody come up with a truly worthwhile justification for these giant WX/cancellations scroll? If it's truly that important, run the crawl during commercials, newsbreaks, etc.

The "public airwaves" comment didn't make any sense either. What about a brief crawl letting folks know they can go over to 7.2 or 7.3 where they can watch the gigantic wx/cancellation crawl to their hearts content? Same for the other stations and their sub-channels. The sub-channels are free, too. Oh, wait, nobody watches their sub-channels so they wouldn't be able to sell advertising to Joe Blow Plumbing or whomever for the paltry advertising dollars they must get for that space. "Public trust." Right.
Old 03-24-2014, 08:56 PM

Just saw a PSA on KFXA (And presumably they're also airing them on KGAN) that April 5th is when KGAN is switching frequencies.
Old 03-28-2014, 10:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 23
KGAN has a article about the frequency change
http://www.cbs2iowa.com/news/features/channeltwoupgrade/#.UzWeAM6a88Z

says the morning of April 5th.
Old 04-06-2014, 07:42 AM

Antenna changes for KGAN 2:

If you are using my market specific antenna from several years ago
http://www.avsforum.com/t/651840/cedar-rapids-ia-hdtv/2310#post_15011979

You should not need to make any changes other than the rescan.
I have seen the epoxy covering the 75 ohm F connector crack and need to be resoldered and
re-epoxied.

Old 04-09-2014, 06:06 PM

So who do I need to contact, Tribune or Sinclair about them not pushing the new channel data to the guide info? This is horking my DVR up since it doesn't recognize the new channel. No, this isn't a scan problem, I can watch it just fine in real time.
Old 04-11-2014, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsyd View Post

So who do I need to contact, Tribune or Sinclair about them not pushing the new channel data to the guide info? This is horking my DVR up since it doesn't recognize the new channel. No, this isn't a scan problem, I can watch it just fine in real time.

Please contact me to discuss.
Jim Wright
314-259-5757

Jim Wright
Regional Engineering Manager
Sinclair Broadcast Group
Old 04-11-2014, 03:14 PM

Jim,

Something must have pushed out the change recently, the guide data for the new channel appeared yesterday.

Thanks!
Old 04-15-2014, 01:35 PM
uhf

KWWF-TV has surrendered their license.

http://licensing.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/prod/cdbs/forms/prod/getimportletter_exh.cgi?import_letter_id=48043

The comments and opinions expressed in my posts are strictly my own and are not necessarily those of my employer or anyone else.
Old 04-21-2014, 04:40 PM

Does anyone have any skinny on what is going on at KGCW? I assumed when I started missing recordings off 26.3 (RF 41) it was due to atmospheric conditions (I am after all in Iowa City) but realized more recently 6 (36) and 8 (38) are coming in fine. I saw a post on KLJB's Facebook saying they are having techincal difficulties. It must be pretty serious to be down almost a week.

This is a crosspost from the "Davenport, IA - HDTV" thread, but this one seems much more active.. and I won't be surprised if there aren't others from the CR market who prefer to get the Quad Cities channels.