Cedar Rapids, IA - HDTV - Page 167 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #4981 of 4986 Old 06-02-2017, 10:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 11
From my home most of the major stations are located 20 to 26 miles away at 335 to 346 degrees. KFXA (FOX 28) is 20 miles away at 282 degrees. I put up an outdoor antenna with a wide field of view, pointing it in the 335 degree direction in the hopes of getting enough signal from the KFXA. For the most part it has worked. Occasionally I get some minor pixelation on the KFXA stations, but usually it's just fine. I have a Channel Master DVR+ for the tuner and I don't think it's the greatest tuner. I bought a multipath filter I'm going to try the next time it starts pixelating and see if that helps.

When I put up the antenna I was also hoping to get lucky and receive KWKB (20) on the back side of the antenna. KWKB is located near West Branch, 28 miles away at 140 degrees which is pretty close to 180 degrees from the main group of stations near Walker. Unfortunately I wasn't so lucky this time. I couldn't reliably get KWKB. It was interesting though that I could receive a good signal from KIIN (PBS 12) which is located near KWKB. But that didn't excite me because I already could get KRIN (PBS 32) in the northerly direction where the other major stations are located.

Now to my recent surprise. I've had the outdoor antenna up for a couple of years. I had never been able to get KWKB (20) reliably. But, I have noticed within the last week or so that KWKB now comes in great. I don't know if they increased the power of the station or if it's just atmospheric changes. My DVR+ reports signal strength of the station of about 67 percent and signal quality at a rock solid 100%. Those numbers provide a high quality picture with no dropouts or pixelation.

The antenna I installed was the Channel Master CM4228HD Extremetenna 80.

Last edited by Cyclnz; 06-02-2017 at 10:16 PM. Reason: Correct spelling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4982 of 4986 Old 08-19-2017, 11:09 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
North Liberty, IA (Iowa City): Looking for an attic antenna

It's time to dump cable. I'm aiming for an attic antenna (single story) to get the major networks (ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, PBS). Anything beyond the major networks is a bonus. From the TV Fool report, do I need to get 2 directional antennas to get the channels to the northwest and then to the east southeast? Can I get by with a single omnidirectional? What's my best route?

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3de6a43c6a8bbf3 e
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Radar-All.png
Views:	16
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	2270078  
post #4983 of 4986 Old 08-19-2017, 12:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1354 Post(s)
Liked: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by edgarfrumpkin View Post
It's time to dump cable. I'm aiming for an attic antenna (single story) to get the major networks (ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, PBS). Anything beyond the major networks is a bonus. From the TV Fool report, do I need to get 2 directional antennas to get the channels to the northwest and then to the east southeast? Can I get by with a single omnidirectional? What's my best route?

It wouldn't surprise me if an attic antenna won't receive all the stations, especially KWWL on RF 7 because it is a 2 edge path. The first two stations in the list are extremely strong and may be received no matter where you point an antenna if attic induced multipath is not too severe.

You need VHF and UHF so I'd try a Winegard HD7694P with a AD Juice preamp pointed at 340 degrees. No guarantees on this though.

You're just asking for trouble with any sort of an omni antenna in an attic.

Life would be much easier with an outdoor antenna.

post #4984 of 4986 Old 08-19-2017, 01:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 574 Post(s)
Liked: 253
That's exactly what I was saying before FF crashed on me.....although I would recommend much lower cost PCT CM-3410 Distribution Amplifier with about same excellent Overload and NF as the expensive A-D Juice Preamp....and if desired, it ALSO accepts DC Power up the Coax with additional cost Power Insertion Module:
https://www.amazon.com/PCT-BI-DIRECT.../dp/B000F28DP2
https://www.amazon.com/PCT-Inserter-.../dp/B005Y12UH6

BTW: IF strong Ch25 and Ch12 do NOT come in reliably, then a second Antenna COULD be added later, such as RCA ANT-751 [or equivalent] using a simple 2-Way Splitter.....or IF found to be NEEDED for lower combining Loss [esp. ESE Channels], some Single Channel Insertion Filters for Ch12 and/or Ch25 could be added at a later date.

I would NOT recommend a 4-Bay Bowtie (or worse a A-D C2V) with the Reflector removed...probably NOT enough Gain to overcome 13-20 dB Attic Loss....and lots more Multipath ingress.

And there is NO WAY a low-Gain (1-2 dBi) Omni will work...esp. in the Attic.

By 2020 (or EARLIER) fol. Channel Changes are expected (per rabbitears.info]:
43 → 14 KFXB-TV (Religious)
47 → 22 KPXR-TV (ION)
So as far as we know NOW, there won't be a need to get a Lo-VHF Antenna [Ch4 is a duplicate CBS]....

Last edited by holl_ands; 08-19-2017 at 01:38 PM.
post #4985 of 4986 Old 08-25-2017, 09:05 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Thank you both for the input... we'll see how this goes!
post #4986 of 4986 Old 08-26-2017, 09:44 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 858 Post(s)
Liked: 255
Send a message via AIM to Trip in VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by holl_ands View Post
IF strong Ch25 and Ch12 do NOT come in reliably
FYI, KIIN-12 and KRIN-35 run the exact same programming, so if KRIN is received, KIIN is unnecessary.

KWKB runs just This TV and Light TV at this time, so it's a matter of how important those networks are to the OP here.

- Trip
DrDon likes this.

N4MJC

Comments are my own and not that of the FCC (my employer) or anyone else.

RabbitEars

"Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand..." - Rush "Witch Hunt"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page