Cedar Rapids, IA - HDTV - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 4956 Old 10-07-2006, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Figures.... Sinclair are a**holes. Quite frankly, I could care less about their analog but man wouldn't that scare away some lcoal advertisers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 4956 Old 10-07-2006, 06:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, it's not over just yet ... there's still time. That same company had a similar dispute with Dish not too long ago, I believe, but the two sides pulled off an eleventh-hour short-term extension and eventually a full deal.

Of course, as we speak there are some Husker fans in Omaha who've had to whip out the antenna to watch their team in HD because their cable company (Cox) and their ABC station's owner (Hearst-Argyle) can't get along ...

Views are strictly my own unless otherwise noted.
"ItÂs looking more like Y2K than the Bay of Pigs." - FCC Commissioner Adelstein, 6-13-09, on the DTV switch
post #543 of 4956 Old 10-09-2006, 11:56 AM

Liked: 11
"We believe that Sinclair is holding our customers hostage in the Des Moines market ....."

http://www.tmcnet.com/usubmit/2006/10/06/1961781.htm

Added: http://www.broadcastingcable.com/article/CA6378777.html

HD since Sept 2005
post #544 of 4956 Old 10-09-2006, 01:46 PM

The only reason I watch it now is for Hawk sports. Any shows I watch are picked from available HD content on cable. KGAN has to be last in the CR market.
post #545 of 4956 Old 10-09-2006, 02:03 PM

Definitely. they used to be the king around here -- but Sinclair operates these stations on a non existent budget and tries to wring every bit of cash out of the stations it can, without putting a dime back into facilities, staff, salaries, etc. KGAN is a laughingstock.
post #546 of 4956 Old 10-10-2006, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLM507WFan View Post

Definitely. they used to be the king around here -- but Sinclair operates these stations on a non existent budget and tries to wring every bit of cash out of the stations it can, without putting a dime back into facilities, staff, salaries, etc. KGAN is a laughingstock.

Actually, I've heard many people out here trace 2's problems back to the retirement of the late Conrad Johnson back in 1980 and their decision on who to hire next. I'll let someone who's lived here longer get into that, but from what I understand they hired a guy with a "weather duck" to replace Conrad while letting one of his assistants, Craig Johnson (no relation to Conrad) go to Channel 7, where he would do another two decades of weather.

That decision, of course, was long before Sinclair moved in.

"ItÂs looking more like Y2K than the Bay of Pigs." - FCC Commissioner Adelstein, 6-13-09, on the DTV switch
post #547 of 4956 Old 10-10-2006, 01:08 PM

No argument from me. I'm old enough to remember all of that very well!
post #548 of 4956 Old 10-10-2006, 01:55 PM

I remember those days. I can remember when there would be a dry spell, and Conrad would just "turn off his/there radar" for several days and then not show it on tv until their was a blip on it. And look at all the "radar overkill" going on between the other 2 channels. It's the only good thing left at kgan....they have few toys, so there are less interruptions on 2.

HD since Sept 2005
post #549 of 4956 Old 10-10-2006, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member

You bet - when there was a storm, we'd huddle around our funky little 14" b&w set, and watch Conrad showing his round, white radar sweep. Was a whole lot harder to make sense of it than it is today, but for sure - Channel 2 was the ONLY place to go.

Was great with Craig at KWWL - am I the only one to see history repeating itself? Now KWWL has canned a Johnson, and replaced him with a weather duck. Leaves a great oppurtunity for someone to step in and fill the vacancy. If Craig was on the late weather, instead of the morning show, I'd be watching KFXA for my nightly weather fix.

Jon

Denon DVP - everyone else loves it.
post #550 of 4956 Old 10-10-2006, 07:43 PM
uhf

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingvee View Post

am I the only one to see history repeating itself? Now KWWL has canned a Johnson, and replaced him with a weather duck. Leaves a great oppurtunity for someone to step in and fill the vacancy. If Craig was on the late weather, instead of the morning show, I'd be watching KFXA for my nightly weather fix.

I agree. I wonder who will take over at KCRG now that Denny is going to be retiring. I think he done in early November if I recall.

The comments and opinions expressed in my posts are strictly my own and are not necessarily those of my employer or anyone else.
post #551 of 4956 Old 10-10-2006, 08:06 PM
AVS Special Member

I did not know that - they were the logical folks to switch to. The few storms we had, they are the ones I watched. I can tell we are in a "BLAMMO ZONE" just by looking out the window, if there are storms around.

Back ot - glad the Yankees lost - otherwise I'd be hugely disappointed by the nonexistence of KFXA-DT. While Joe's graph shows them broadcasting, I can only find the game on SD - the HD isn't coming thru tonight. Oh well...must be another of Hd's sunny days.

Jon

post #552 of 4956 Old 10-11-2006, 08:27 PM
uhf

Quote:

Now KWWL has canned a Johnson, and replaced him with a weather duck.

The duck has resigned! He announced on the air tonight.

The comments and opinions expressed in my posts are strictly my own and are not necessarily those of my employer or anyone else.
post #553 of 4956 Old 10-11-2006, 08:30 PM
AVS Special Member

You beat me to it. Happy Days!

Short of winning the lottery, I can't think of many things that will make an Iowa winter palatable. We need to send a thank-you card to whatever station was silly enough to take him off our hands.

Glad you're happy Ian - we are too.

btw - was out last night; this morning, I discovered that my MOTHER actually called the wife to tell her the good news. So I don't know what his demographic was/is...

Jon

post #554 of 4956 Old 10-11-2006, 11:24 PM

I don't know if they've always been there, but the other night I was watching Law & Order on KWWL-HD (iowa city mediacom via QAM) and all the dark parts of the picture had lots and lots of tiny white spots - it almost looked like it was sparkling. Now, whenever I turn on KWWL-HD I can't help notice them on everything!!! Is this something I was blissfully ignorant of prior to this or a new development? I assume it's from all the subchannels and everything, but has anyone else noticed this?
post #555 of 4956 Old 10-12-2006, 11:28 AM

I'll be watching ER tonight and will check it out (white dots)

HD since Sept 2005
post #556 of 4956 Old 10-12-2006, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You beat me to it. Happy Days!

Short of winning the lottery, I can't think of many things that will make an Iowa winter palatable. We need to send a thank-you card to whatever station was silly enough to take him off our hands.

Glad you're happy Ian - we are too.

The Waterloo-Cedar Falls Courier says it's an unidentified Top 20 market. No word on whether it was a U.S. top 20 market or a Canadian one.

In fairness, I've seen Ian do the weather and have only heard about the "weather duck" guy, and I don't think Ian was THAT bad as forecasters go. I think there'll be quite a few people who'll miss him even though he's only been there a few years.

Unfortunately the weather he's been bringing us isn't bringing us any closer to getting that tower work done so we can get KWKB and KIIN in digital.

post #557 of 4956 Old 10-12-2006, 12:50 PM

Take it from me, Ian, whatever his proponents and detractors would say about him, is nowhere near the weather duck guy. That nut was in a class by himself. I'd take Ian any day over that guy.
post #558 of 4956 Old 10-12-2006, 07:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dline View Post

The Waterloo-Cedar Falls Courier says it's an unidentified Top 20 market. No word on whether it was a U.S. top 20 market or a Canadian one.

Hope that is the case, for his sake. There are rumors to the contrary - but upside is that he is outta here....

Maybe they can finally make Jeff lead man. This is Iowa - I just want to see the weather, not a song and dance. Would much rather see Craig Johnson explain an occluded front, than listen to someone describe to me, just exactly WHAT a BLAMMO ZONE is.

OT again - Is anyone aware of any changes KFXA-DT may have made in their PSIP data? I am on my 2nd Vizio lcd (QAM tuner) - first one was May build date, got all qam channels via cfu just fine. But nstc tuner died - so got a new one, Sept build date. Was getting KFXA-DT fine for a few days, then BLAMMO. oops - had to do it. Anyway, I can still tune, or at least select 28-1, but there is no longer any video or audio. Over in the Vizio thread, have discovered others have the same problem, with Comcast cable. I'm CFU - should be fine. My LGs still work fine; ASTC ota on the Vizio works fine - 28-1 and 28-2 come in fine. But not over QAM.

Any ideas? Vizio is made for idiots - if there are highly advanced setup menues, I can't find them. Can't even measure signal strength. Hate to bother Joe and friends - don't know what they could do either, since my LGs, and folks Hitachi are all picking up KFXA just fine.

Up to you guys - good luck, and thanks in advance.

Jon

post #559 of 4956 Old 10-13-2006, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

After posting, and getting responses on the Vizio thread, it seems that Vizio owners all over (or at least those who have responded on the AVS forum ) are having problems receiving FoxHD using the QAM tuners, on their Vizio sets. My old one didn't have that problem. My new one does. My LG STBs don't have any problem, tho I DID have to do a rescan last night, just to pickup KFXA-DT. It had disappeared off my channel list.

Any wild guesses, something concrete I can take to the Vizio techs when they get around to calling me back (probably middle of next week....?) I'm guessing Vizio must have changed firmware to acknowledge some kind of flag that FoxHD is sending out, but I really don't know enough to do more than guess.

fwiw, when I tune to 28-1 on my Vizio, I get the channel number, and KFXA-DT comes up on the display. But no picture or sound. And channel rescans don't even find 28-2. - which I can't tune to directly - > with the Vizio, once you enter 28 and the hyphen, the set automatically tunes to the lowest channel, and then gives the list of all subs. 28-2 isn't even in the list of subs. Wierd.

Jon

post #560 of 4956 Old 10-18-2006, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dline View Post

Unfortunately the weather he's been bringing us isn't bringing us any closer to getting that tower work done so we can get KWKB and KIIN in digital.

So, what is the current word from those who know, when will KWKB be at full strength so I can get it OTA in Waterloo? Fall of 2007, sometime in 2008, or in 2009?
post #561 of 4956 Old 10-18-2006, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick-g View Post

I don't know if they've always been there, but the other night I was watching Law & Order on KWWL-HD (iowa city mediacom via QAM) and all the dark parts of the picture had lots and lots of tiny white spots - it almost looked like it was sparkling. Now, whenever I turn on KWWL-HD I can't help notice them on everything!!! Is this something I was blissfully ignorant of prior to this or a new development? I assume it's from all the subchannels and everything, but has anyone else noticed this?

I noticed this at least 18 months ago, maybe longer, and posted about it on the old forum thread, but no one seemed to know what I was talking about; I think it might be one of those things people tend not to notice, but once you do...
It's not a cable problem, though, the sparkling/flickering can be seen through my Samsung OTA tuner, Fusion5 PCI tuner card, or now my Series3 TiVo; so it is not a Motorola 6412 or cable/Mediacom problem. In fact, it is quite "interesting" that if you freeze the picture on a specific frame, you'll see the white pixels pattern which clearly should not be part of the video stream, and which alternate between MPEG frames thus causing the sparkling/flickering effect. Obviously, it is more pronounced on dark backgrounds. I just try not to get upset about it anymore.
post #562 of 4956 Old 10-18-2006, 12:53 PM
uhf

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivorygate View Post

So, what is the current word from those who know, when will KWKB be at full strength so I can get it OTA in Waterloo? Fall of 2007, sometime in 2008, or in 2009?

I thought I had heard that there was a tower crew working at KWKB. The last time I was down that way there wasn't any work going on, but that's been about three weeks now.

post #563 of 4956 Old 10-18-2006, 02:31 PM
AVS Special Member

For what it's worth, the last time I looked at KWKB (a few days ago), their stream is all goofed up and basically unwatchable. Video/audio jumps around, etc.

I assumed that this was part of their upgrading process, but it's been that way for a few weeks.
post #564 of 4956 Old 10-18-2006, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Here's some other interesting info about KWKB I found on Wikipedia:

Quote:

Since September 2006, KWKB has affiliated with both The CW as a primary network and My Network TV as a secondary network. To date, KWKB is one of two stations in the country planning to carry both The CW and My Network TV (the other is KNVA in Austin, Texas). KWKB airs MyNetworkTV programming from 9PM-11PM, immediately following CW programming.

I'll try an email and see if they will reply....
post #565 of 4956 Old 10-18-2006, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivorygate View Post

I noticed this at least 18 months ago, maybe longer, and posted about it on the old forum thread, but no one seemed to know what I was talking about; I think it might be one of those things people tend not to notice, but once you do...
It's not a cable problem, though, the sparkling/flickering can be seen through my Samsung OTA tuner, Fusion5 PCI tuner card, or now my Series3 TiVo; so it is not a Motorola 6412 or cable/Mediacom problem. In fact, it is quite "interesting" that if you freeze the picture on a specific frame, you'll see the white pixels pattern which clearly should not be part of the video stream, and which alternate between MPEG frames thus causing the sparkling/flickering effect. Obviously, it is more pronounced on dark backgrounds. I just try not to get upset about it anymore.

Thanks for the reply...it seems like it comes and goes, or maybe I just don't always think about it. Its sad to hear that its been around for so long though, and therefore not likely to stop any time soon.

In an unrelated issue, the past couple of weekends I have been finding free previews for Showtime HD and Universal HD showing up and I was wondering if anyone knows any way that I can find out about these free previews in advance or something instead of just having to discover them on my own?
post #566 of 4956 Old 10-18-2006, 05:40 PM

Quote:

In an unrelated issue, the past couple of weekends I have been finding free previews for Showtime HD

Mediacom had a preview of Showtime Oct 6-10th. A message was sent out on the cable box back in Sept. Haven't seen any new announcements lately.

HD since Sept 2005
post #567 of 4956 Old 10-18-2006, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowahawkeye View Post

A message was sent out on the cable box back in Sept.

What does this mean, like it showed up on your screen? I don't have a cable box, so perhaps this is why I never find out about these things...
post #568 of 4956 Old 10-19-2006, 04:11 PM

Quote:

What does this mean, like it showed up on your screen? I don't have a cable box, so perhaps this is why I never find out about these things...

All the boxes have a message center, and when mediacom sends one out, a red light shows on the box indicating you have a new unread message. You can save or delete them.

HD since Sept 2005
post #569 of 4956 Old 10-19-2006, 05:32 PM

I usually ignore the messages b/c probably 99% of them are some sort of WCW/WWF/Ultimate Figthing/Boxing message and I could care less about that. I was a little surprised when I saw an actual message I cared about when the Showtime message showed up.
post #570 of 4956 Old 10-20-2006, 01:38 PM
uhf

KIIN-DT should be full power in a few more weeks. They are waiting on one last part to arrive that was damaged in shipment. KIIN analog is back to full power on the new top mounted antenna.

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page