Cedar Rapids, IA - HDTV - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 4956 Old 03-13-2006, 03:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 73
There were some hurt feelings regarding the thread title when Myrtle Beach's population surpassed Florence, SC's population and Nielsen swapped the order within the DMA.

Don't know how the populations of Cedar Rapids-Waterloo-Iowa City-Dubuque compare, but it's fairly rare to have the primary city change like it did with the DMA formally known as the Florence, SC DMA.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 4956 Old 03-13-2006, 03:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm pretty much indifferent to the whole deal. As long as people find the correct thread and get the help they need, that's all that should matter. And this is coming from someone who's last name starts with "W"... so I know all about being called last.

(Note: Comments and other information in my posts are strictly my opinions only and not those of my employer or their parent company and network.)
post #33 of 4956 Old 03-13-2006, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPanther95 View Post

There were some hurt feelings regarding the thread title when Myrtle Beach's population surpassed Florence, SC's population and Nielsen swapped the order within the DMA.

Don't know how the populations of Cedar Rapids-Waterloo-Iowa City-Dubuque compare, but it's fairly rare to have the primary city change like it did with the DMA formally known as the Florence, SC DMA.

No need to worry about that anytime soon:

- Cedar Rapids: 120,758
- Waterloo: 68,747
- Iowa City: 62,380
- Dubuque: 57,686

(No offense intended to Waterloo, Iowa City or Dubuque, all fine places.)

Views are strictly my own unless otherwise noted.
"ItÂs looking more like Y2K than the Bay of Pigs." - FCC Commissioner Adelstein, 6-13-09, on the DTV switch
post #34 of 4956 Old 03-13-2006, 04:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Speaking of Iowa City (and trying to get back on topic):

It looks like the Hawkeye game this Friday will be coming from an HD site, Auburn Hills.

Unfortunately the UNI game after it will not, and it looks like the Panthers will have to get to at least the semifinals to be in HD.

All the more reason to root for 'em.

Source: http://cbs.sportsline.com/cbssports/...legebasketball

"ItÂs looking more like Y2K than the Bay of Pigs." - FCC Commissioner Adelstein, 6-13-09, on the DTV switch
post #35 of 4956 Old 03-13-2006, 05:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mr Owens - didn't mean to misstate. As I used to tell Jerry, I find your HD signal fine; in fact, on the national board, when others across the country complain about NBC picture quality, I always speak up and defend KWWL-DT - I think you are doing an excellent job.

I just don't get enough radar out of Weather Plus; likewise, for me, there is too much national weather - which I have been getting from Weather Channel since day 1. I would have to sit down and watch, and time it to get hard numbers, which I'm sure you have - it is after all, your station - but the percentage of time when live doppler radar is on seems small to me. Wasn't trying to get personal or anything, I just watched CFU channel 11 a LOT more back when it was KWWL weather; now that it is a national feed - Weather Plus - with bits of your weather personell dropped in, it isn't as compelling. So when I said "waste of bandwidth" I could have as easily said waste of effort, or energy. Not to say that it noticeably degraded 7-1, but that I don't find WeatherPlus nearly as useful as your old, original offering.

Still appreciate your time and effort. Thanks.

Jon

Denon DVP - everyone else loves it.
post #36 of 4956 Old 03-13-2006, 06:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Ok - was sitting at computer, nothing on the box, so just finished watching Weather Plus from 7:40 pm CST to 8:00 pm CST. 59 seconds of radar, of which only 20 seconds was actual real-time local radar (SKYtracker 7@) with, as you know, the other 40 seconds being a 12 hour NWS regional loop. That tends to support my main premise - Weather Plus only gives radar 5% of the time, with realtime radar on only 1.5% of the time. Sorry, but again, IMHO, Weather Plus does not deliver what I want or need.

Jon

Denon DVP - everyone else loves it.
post #37 of 4956 Old 03-13-2006, 08:05 PM

Liked: 11
Dick,

KWWL is still freezing starting between 9-9:01pm each night.
post #38 of 4956 Old 03-14-2006, 06:00 AM

Quote:

Here's a copy of my response via PM:

Quote:

If they search the thread Index, it will come up for all cities listed by Nielsen. For the AVS Thread titles, only the primary city for each DMA is listed to avoid confusion and extremely long thread titles.

Obviously exceptions to the above are being made in this forum. For example:
Dayton / Lima, OH
Mobile, AL / Panama City, FL
Washington, DC / Baltimore, MD
Jackson / Meridian, MS
Springfield / Joplin, MO
Omaha / Lincoln, NE
Harrisonburg / Charlottesville, VA
Indianapolis / Terre Haute / Lafayette, IN
Waco / Bryan, TX
Lafayette, LA / Beaumont, TX / Lake Charles, LA

It's not that big of a deal, but it appears like someone just doesn't want to be bothered making the change. So be it.

KC, CFU
Cedar Falls, IA
post #39 of 4956 Old 03-14-2006, 06:04 AM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 73
You only quoted the first part of my post, and conveniently left out:

Quote:

Two cities were listed, but only because the thread covered two separate DMAs (Primary city of each - largest to smallest)

If all Nielsen cities were listed, Mobile, AL / Panama City, FL - HDTV would become
Mobile, AL ; Pensacola, Ft. Walton Beach, FL / Panama City, FL - HDTV
post #40 of 4956 Old 03-15-2006, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by em500is View Post

Can anyone recommend a CR business for an OTA purchase/install?
Thanks much.

EM -

Since you mention installation, I assume you're talking about an outdoor antenna. Depending on your location, you might do okay with an indoor model.

I've tried a couple different outdoor antennas from Radio Shack and have had pretty good luck with them. I'm just using a 16' mast mounted on a tripod (Menard's), so I did the install myself. I don't know of any installers though. You might try some of the small TV/Radio shops like Darrel's or Valenta's. Good luck.
post #41 of 4956 Old 03-17-2006, 11:43 AM

They can't even get the right feed to eastern Iowa........then Iowa losess and cbs/kgan cuts away while the broadcast crew is still talking about the ending for only 10 sec and KGAN/CBS cuts away to Bucknell/Ark. WOW talk about piss poor KGAN/CBS coverage.......

HD since Sept 2005
post #42 of 4956 Old 03-17-2006, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowahawkeye View Post

They can't even get the right feed to eastern Iowa........then Iowa losess and cbs/kgan cuts away while the broadcast crew is still talking about the ending for only 10 sec and KGAN/CBS cuts away to Bucknell/Ark. WOW talk about piss poor KGAN/CBS coverage.......

Geez, and I thought they were safe when I turned off 2-1 and left the house at around a quarter to 1 to watch the SaPaDaPaSo parade downtown. I thought, ten or twelve points up -- I'll watch the parade today. I can catch the Hawks in HD in the second round.

Sheez!

As for the switching, I missed it, so I can't hazard a guess as to who's at fault between KGAN and CBS. It's possible that they may have had to go through Bucknell/Arkansas to get to UNI/Georgetown and that CBS might not have had a convenient way to get between the two. They've got eight games to juggle this afternoon alone -- four HD/SD, four SD only. I don't pretend to know how they do it, but I'm sure some combinations are easier to program than others.

post #43 of 4956 Old 03-17-2006, 03:14 PM - Thread Starter

What probably happened was that KGAN didn't get signed up for the straight feed for the game. CBS usually handles games two different ways, there's a constant feed and flex feed. It sounds that KGAN somehow got on the flex feed, so when CBS saw that game was essentially over, they took that feed over to a different game. There is an insane amount of juggling to get stations to the games they've signed up for... if I was working master control at the network level this month, well, I probably wouldn't be here for several months, I'd need that much of a vacation!

//edit//

BTW, here's the wording from the CBS wire as to how they handle flex feeds:
Quote:
IN ADDITION, SHOULD THE OUTCOME OF ANY GAME BECOME OBVIOUS, SPORTS MAY ELECT TO SWITCH CERTAIN STATIONS TO ANOTHER MORE COMPETITIVE GAME. IN THIS EVENT, APPROPRIATE ANNOUNCEMENTS WILL BE MADE ALERTING VIEWERS TO THE UPCOMING CHANGE AND AUDIENCES WILL BE KEPT INFORMED OF THE ACTION AND FINAL OUTCOMES OF ALL OTHER GAMES.

(Note: Comments and other information in my posts are strictly my opinions only and not those of my employer or their parent company and network.)
post #44 of 4956 Old 03-17-2006, 03:23 PM - Thread Starter

Rather than editing again, I'll just reply. According to the regionalizations chart, KGAN should have been assigned the constant feed for the game. It comes down to two likely circumstances: CBS messed up and incorrectly programmed KGAN for a flex feed, or KGAN was using their second receiver to get to the second game. I honestly believe the first occurance is more likely since it's been known to happen before.

post #45 of 4956 Old 03-17-2006, 10:48 PM - Thread Starter

Hey look, I'll reply to myself again. Apparently the same happened at KCCI in Des Moines, so it was definitely a CBS screw up. By the sounds of it, it even sounds as though it was some kind of technical problem, but either way, I'm sure CBS will have tons of emails to sift through come Monday. I know we forwarded every message we received on to CBS.

post #46 of 4956 Old 03-18-2006, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc0bsn View Post

Hey look, I'll reply to myself again. Apparently the same happened at KCCI in Des Moines, so it was definitely a CBS screw up. By the sounds of it, it even sounds as though it was some kind of technical problem, but either way, I'm sure CBS will have tons of emails to sift through come Monday. I know we forwarded every message we received on to CBS.

Thanks for the reply.

HD since Sept 2005
post #47 of 4956 Old 03-18-2006, 10:05 AM

This makes no sense.

Mediacom has a free HBO preview from the 17th to the 20th or 21st, but they didn't include the HD channel in the preview. I called Mediacom and he reset my box. When that didn't help he told that HBO must not have included it in the preview.

If they want to lure me in they better include the HD channel or I won't even bother checking it out.
post #48 of 4956 Old 03-18-2006, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsduke View Post

This makes no sense.

Mediacom has a free HBO preview from the 17th to the 20th or 21st, but they didn't include the HD channel in the preview. I called Mediacom and he reset my box. When that didn't help he told that HBO must not have included it in the preview.

If they want to lure me in they better include the HD channel or I won't even bother checking it out.

Mediacom pulled the same stunt today also with the Iowa women's game. Mediacom switched the espn2 feed to carry the game, but didn't switch the espn2 HD channel.

HD since Sept 2005
post #49 of 4956 Old 03-18-2006, 05:03 PM

I didn't even think to look on the analog espn2 for the Iowa game. We wondered what the deal was.
post #50 of 4956 Old 03-19-2006, 06:34 PM

Is anybody else not getting KCRG in HD through Mediacom? I noticed the Sixth Sense was not in HD last night, and Desperate Housewives is not in HD tonight. I tried both the Mediacom HD box (channel 809), and the QAM tuner in my tv (channel 115-2) and both give a 480i resolution. KWWL and IPT HD channels are coming in fine.

Kevin
post #51 of 4956 Old 03-19-2006, 06:39 PM
AVS Special Member

I noticed Sixth Sense last night, but hadn't looked tonight. I'll check it out.

May have to see if I can pick up Moline if there HD is down...
post #52 of 4956 Old 03-19-2006, 06:47 PM

DH is a rerun tonight, however Grey's Anatomy is a new episode. If it isn't in HD, then there's a problem someplace. I called Mediacom and as usual they had no idea of a problem.
post #53 of 4956 Old 03-19-2006, 07:02 PM
AVS Special Member

OTA also.. KCRG's problem.
post #54 of 4956 Old 03-19-2006, 07:10 PM

Their HD encoder broke Friday afternoon and will be down until parts come in, possibly on Monday. They only have SD capability until then.
post #55 of 4956 Old 03-19-2006, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kps246 View Post

DH is a rerun tonight, however Grey's Anatomy is a new episode. If it isn't in HD, then there's a problem someplace. I called Mediacom and as usual they had no idea of a problem.

Grey's Anatomy is in HD from Quad Cities station but SD from KCRG.
post #56 of 4956 Old 03-20-2006, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

I can now adjust the aspect ratio again on KCRG-DT, so they've obviously been doing some work this morning. (On my setup, they were "full only" while they were on their backup.)

post #57 of 4956 Old 03-20-2006, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

BTW, if anybody's home at this hour, KFXA is running that NASCAR race -- IN HD -- which was postponed yesterday. 76 laps to go at this time.

post #58 of 4956 Old 03-21-2006, 03:28 PM

Thanks for everyone's patience. Our HD MPEG encoder went toes up on Friday afternoon so we had to go into bypass mode and use our SD MPEG encoder to keep 9-1 digital on the air. Luckily they were able to ship the part quickly and the HD MPEG encoder was back online on Monday afternoon. Although it just wasn't the same watching Grey's in SD digital. :-)

Thanks,

KCRG Engineering
post #59 of 4956 Old 03-21-2006, 05:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Kirk.... You able to spill the beans on 9.2?????
post #60 of 4956 Old 03-22-2006, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtvincr View Post

Kirk.... You able to spill the beans on 9.2?????

I can't really give you any specific information on the 9-2 subchannel. We are looking at a few really good options. We are in the testing phase and you will probably see content pop up occasionally, so we can make sure the encoder and PSIP information is working correctly etc..

What kind of content do you think local viewers would like to see on a local station's subchannel? I would love to hear from anyone who has ideas or opinions and I would be happy to pass that information along to others at KCRG involved in the design phase.

Enjoy your HDTV,

KirkTV
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page