Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 4956 Old 11-02-2006, 09:11 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfujoe View Post

The franchise agreement doesn't give a monopoly to the cable provider. The video franchise that cable providers enter into allows the provider access to the City ROW in exchange for franchise fees and public access channels. There can, and are, many cities that have competing cable companies. It is pretty clear that, in these markets, direct competitive pricing has helped customers rather than harmed them.

If you live in Cedar Falls, remember that we'll have CBS on after December 1st

Yeah, I'm not a lawyer and I don't play one on TV, but I guess what I meant was there is an effective monopoly in Waterloo, that doesn't exist in Cedar Falls - I'm curious why KGAN wasn't also promoting people living in CF to switch from Mediacom to CFU, instead of that $10 per month for 15 month DirectTV rebate, doesn't seem fair to you guys.

I'm not taking sides against Mediacom, but at the end of the day, I still don't see how they can take off the only CBS affiliate, especially given that here in the Waterloo/CF area, KGAN (analog) is the one station that either barely comes in at all or when it does is usually only just watchable. For those who never bothered to buy cable, they obviously never cared about watching KGAN local programming nor CBS network shows, and for those of us with ATSC tuners, we are fine too (probably, what, all 12 of us around here), but for the large percentage of people who have always only had cable as their way of watching any of the broadcast networks... um, there are going to be thousands of people in this area screaming bloody murder.

I've already talked to three people about it who barely remember what rabbit ears look like, have Mediacom cable, and they are like deer in headlights. They can't even tell me what they are going to do, they simply can't let themselves believe it is even possible that something they've always taken for granted could be 30 days away from existing. Crazy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 4956 Old 11-02-2006, 10:46 AM

Since last night I have not been able to receive any of the HD channels with my tv's Qam tuner. I am using CFU for my cable provider. I was wondering if anyone else is having this problem. I have done the auto program multiple times and I can't even switch to the HD channels. It skips over them when switching through channels and won't let me manually change to those channels.

Format Neutral. Living in HD bliss with the A1, A30and PS3.
post #633 of 4956 Old 11-02-2006, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLPORLCD View Post

Since last night I have not been able to receive any of the HD channels with my tv's Qam tuner. I am using CFU for my cable provider. I was wondering if anyone else is having this problem. I have done the auto program multiple times and I can't even switch to the HD channels. It skips over them when switching through channels and won't let me manually change to those channels.

We have made no changes to our transmission systems for HD over QAM...
post #634 of 4956 Old 11-02-2006, 11:16 AM

They are back up and running now, I am leaning to think there could be a problem with the Qam tuner in my tv. Might call samsung up talk to them over it since my tv is under warranty.

Format Neutral. Living in HD bliss with the A1, A30and PS3.
post #635 of 4956 Old 11-02-2006, 11:29 AM

This morning KWWL was still non-existant. I decided to check CFU's DT signals and low and behold KWWL was up with the rest of the other stations.

Checked the TV and there it was! Clear and clean.

Hope this holds! I hate watching analog on this TV. Just doesn't seem right

I hate the smell of opinions when I log on :)
post #636 of 4956 Old 11-02-2006, 06:34 PM

I have a question about the time when analog TV will stop.

When analog transmissions do stop, will stations that broadcast analog on VHF move their digital too VHF or will they keep it on the UHF frequency (channel) they use?

Maybe someone (IE Engineers on here) can enlighten me to what the future holds.

post #637 of 4956 Old 11-02-2006, 06:43 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by n0ttw View Post

I have a question about the time when analog TV will stop.

When analog transmissions do stop, will stations that broadcast analog on VHF move their digital too VHF or will they keep it on the UHF frequency (channel) they use?

Maybe someone (IE Engineers on here) can enlighten me to what the future holds.

Each broadcast will move to their current analog frequency at that time from what I have read.
post #638 of 4956 Old 11-02-2006, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsduke View Post

Each broadcast will move to their current analog frequency at that time from what I have read.

I was hoping that was the case.

The reason I was wondering was because a while back I was reading that the FCC wanted to reclaim the VHF portion of the TV band for other public services.

I haven't kept up with all the R&Os and NPRMs from the FCC on this side, but maybe I should.

post #639 of 4956 Old 11-03-2006, 05:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsduke View Post

That is incorrect.... Stations elect whether they want to move back to their old analog assignments.

KWWL & KCRG will move to their DT to the current analog channels (7 & 9), while KGAN, KFXA, KPXR & KWKB will stay with the current UHF assignments for the present digital (51, 27, 47 & 25).

Here's the FCC Channel Assignments link.
post #640 of 4956 Old 11-03-2006, 06:17 AM

Will the Vhf stations be harder to pull in when this happens.
post #641 of 4956 Old 11-03-2006, 08:30 AM
uhf

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtvincr View Post

KWWL & KCRG will move to their DT to the current analog channels (7 & 9), while KGAN, KFXA, KPXR & KWKB will stay with the current UHF assignments for the present digital (51, 27, 47 & 25).

KRIN will stay on 35, KIIN will go back to 12.

The comments and opinions expressed in my posts are strictly my own and are not necessarily those of my employer or anyone else.
post #642 of 4956 Old 11-03-2006, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawk View Post

Will the Vhf stations be harder to pull in when this happens.

I hope not. They will be using significantly less power transmitting digital than they currently do for analog, but for technical reasons the signal should still serve the market, at least in theory.

The biggest fear is with low band channels 2-6, where electrical noise and weather issues make it much harder to get a watchable signal. (Many Mediacom analog-only homes will find this out the hard way if Sinclair pulls KGAN's signal December 1 as it has threatened). WBBM in Chicago is infamous for having a digital signal on channel 3 which is VERY hard to pick up, and they will be switching to a completely new channel when the transition is over. Thankfully, though, KGAN will NOT go back to channel 2. (The Quad Cities, though, will have a CBS on channel 4, and the Ames-Des Moines market will have an ABC on channel 5.)

In some cases you MAY be able to get 7, 9 and 12 with a UHF-only antenna, but you may have to add a VHF one if that doesn't work. If you don't already have an antenna, I'd look for a UHF/VHF one.

Views are strictly my own unless otherwise noted.
"ItÂs looking more like Y2K than the Bay of Pigs." - FCC Commissioner Adelstein, 6-13-09, on the DTV switch
post #643 of 4956 Old 11-03-2006, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Sinclair-Mediacom Dispute: UPDATE

Sinclair now says on its website that briefs in Mediacom's appeal may not be heard until late January, based on the 8th Circuit's scheduling order.

Based on this development, a solution to the stalemate rests solely with Mediacom and Sinclair, and Mediacom can't count on the courts to intervene.

Mediacom, for its part, has run full-page ads in The Gazette at least twice this week, and has expanded its Sinclair web page (www.befairsinclair.com) to include more information about its position. Last night it was seen running an anti-Sinclair ad several times on at least a couple of cable channels, though it used an outdated KGAN logo.

"ItÂs looking more like Y2K than the Bay of Pigs." - FCC Commissioner Adelstein, 6-13-09, on the DTV switch
post #644 of 4956 Old 11-03-2006, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

[quote=dline
In some cases you MAY be able to get 7, 9 and 12 with a UHF-only antenna, but you may have to add a VHF one if that doesn't work. If you don't already have an antenna, I'd look for a UHF/VHF one.[/QUOTE]

Which will suck more than just a little bit - I get far better reception with my 4228 than I do with the giant CM mounted on a mast, something like 20' higher. For all those with current reception problems, just the move from inside house to on the roof - one story, no appreciable mast or rotor - has more than doubled my signal strength. I'm even going straight thru pine trees. Dang - that 4228 is awesome.

Jon

Denon DVP - everyone else loves it.
post #645 of 4956 Old 11-03-2006, 02:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingvee View Post

Which will suck more than just a little bit - I get far better reception with my 4228 than I do with the giant CM mounted on a mast, something like 20' higher. For all those with current reception problems, just the move from inside house to on the roof - one story, no appreciable mast or rotor - has more than doubled my signal strength. I'm even going straight thru pine trees. Dang - that 4228 is awesome.

Well, if it works after 7 and 9 go back to 7 and 9, stick with it.

post #646 of 4956 Old 11-05-2006, 06:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Not to get off the Sinclair/Mediacom topic, but a question to all of the actual broadcast / production type folks out there - just switched over to the SNF game, just plain old SD, on an old school SD 36" set. And OMG - the picture just jumped off the screen. The word Popped comes to mind. Colors so vivid that they border and asymtopically approach over-saturated. To the point of making my nicely calibrated set look like a Kay's Merchandise demo machine.

So - Q is, can (and do) the broadcasters, or the network, actually massage the output of their cameras, and end up sending out an overly enhanced product? I know I can do that with audio recordings - that is the business. But I guess I was so naive that I just figured that what the cameras showed was "real."

Jon

post #647 of 4956 Old 11-05-2006, 07:55 PM
AVS Special Member

For those who are seeing a terrible picture of the football game, over KWWL-DT, I might suggets that it is the fault of your tv. Started out watching the game on my LCD set tonight - a 1368x768 unit. While it scales 720p fairly well, NBC's 1080i looks goshawful on it. Huge, gross macroblocking.

The game was good enought (and I needed to fire up the crt/VP50 combo to answer some questions over on the vp forum) so I'm now watching the game thru a very nice scaler. And a superior receiver - using an LG4200a, instead of the one built into my LCD. Verdict - picture looks wonderful - smooth, no jerkiness, or any other flaw, even on fast pans.

So while you can blame NBC for choosing 1080i, don't blame KWWL for making poor scalers look poor. (cavaet - if you're still having/seeing the problem with a set that you KNOW has great scaling, then I guess you DO have a problem. )

Jon

post #648 of 4956 Old 11-05-2006, 08:41 PM
uhf

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingvee View Post

So - Q is, can (and do) the broadcasters, or the network, actually massage the output of their cameras, and end up sending out an overly enhanced product?

Yes, video can be processed in any number of ways, including the level of the entire signal, or just the chroma levels (plus all sorts of other stuff). It can (and is) done all throughout the video chain, including right before it hits the transmitter. I try to process as little as possible, but do make adjustments so that what is coming over the air from the transmitter looks just like the source being fed to me. The video goes through dozens of different pieces of equipment before it gets to the transmitter and every one of them can change the signal a bit.

As more stuff goes digital that will help since the signal will remain unchanged unless there is a reason to change it (adding bugs, etc).

The comments and opinions expressed in my posts are strictly my own and are not necessarily those of my employer or anyone else.
post #649 of 4956 Old 11-06-2006, 12:19 PM

post #650 of 4956 Old 11-08-2006, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Looks like KIIN-DT is up. (Actual channel 45, maps to 12-1 and 12-2.)

Getting 6 bars from Silver Sensor in Cedar Rapids, though I had to point it the other way to get it that well.

post #651 of 4956 Old 11-08-2006, 06:44 PM
uhf

Quote:
Originally Posted by dline View Post

Looks like KIIN-DT is up. (Actual channel 45, maps to 12-1 and 12-2.)

KIIN-DT is running at 1% power from the new antenna at 1400 feet. Not sure when the high power transmitter will be connected. I believe they are waiting on parts.

post #652 of 4956 Old 11-09-2006, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhf View Post

KIIN-DT is running at 1% power from the new antenna at 1400 feet. Not sure when the high power transmitter will be connected. I believe they are waiting on parts.

It's still reaching here, though, so it's not too bad right now. In fact, just now I got 4 out of 10 bars and I'm not even pointed their way.

When it DOES go high-power, it should be great news for southeast Iowa.

Now, for KWKB 20 ...

post #653 of 4956 Old 11-09-2006, 03:02 PM
uhf

Quote:
Originally Posted by dline View Post

Now, for KWKB 20 ...

I've been told there is a tower crew on site there stacking transmission line, so work is being done on getting that one online.

post #654 of 4956 Old 11-09-2006, 04:35 PM
AVS Special Member

UHF - Maybe your sources could pass along to the KWKB folks that their DT stream is goofed up big time. Audio & Video breakups & stutters, and yes I have a good signal. It is obvious that is the stream.

They do not seem to want to answer emails.....
post #655 of 4956 Old 11-09-2006, 08:43 PM
uhf

I have no contacts at KWKB. My information comes from someone that has seen people working on the tower from across the street.

post #656 of 4956 Old 11-11-2006, 06:56 PM

Who will be buying advertising on KGAN if no one can watch it?

How will I be able to watch the Point on KGAN "news"?

Does KGAN know most CBS programming is available for free over www.cbs.com?

Why doesn't mediacom just carry the quad cities station (like they do in DBQ)?
post #657 of 4956 Old 11-12-2006, 08:28 AM

I checked at BB, yesterday, and they had an empty demo of the Samsung DTB-H260F. I plan on checking the store again on Wednesday.

So here's my question: What current receiver models have enough sensitivity to keep up with atsc's full bandwidth? (That is, when lots of stuff changes on the screen quickly.) I tried an old Zenith HDV-420 but the blocking was a problem and I'd rather get a good receiver then make up the difference with the antenna.

Any suggestions?
post #658 of 4956 Old 11-12-2006, 12:20 PM

While watching the Chiefs-Dolphins game today (aside from my Chiefs looking like CRAP and the game NOT being broadcast in HD) - I thought: If KGAN spent as much time improving their HD signal (I.E. useful subchannels, fixing the lip sync and audio dropout issues, etc etc etc) as they do scrolling that stupid message across the bottom of the screen and putting giant ads in the Gazette, they would have much more leverage in their 'tinkle' match with MediaCom and more money in their pocket, not to mention having a great HD signal that services the entire market.
post #659 of 4956 Old 11-12-2006, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eobiont View Post

Why doesn't mediacom just carry the quad cities station (like they do in DBQ)?

Again, for those just tuning in, a cable company generally can't import network stations from another market, by law. If they're carrying the Quad Cities station in Dubuque, it's probably because that's part of a limited area where the Davenport and Cedar Rapids markets overlap. Go further north -- say, Guttenberg -- and you may find some cable companies carrying La Crosse CBS for the same reason. And in Fort Madison you can watch Quincy, Quad Cities, and Kirksville-Ottumwa stations -- PLUS KCRG, for some strange reason -- on cable.

Also, I hate to disappoint you, but Sinclair has announced that "The Point" is going on hiatus after the end of the month, at least as a regular segment.

post #660 of 4956 Old 11-13-2006, 12:36 PM

Liked: 11
http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_publi...-06-2274A1.pdf

As for hooking up with WHBF in the Quad Cities, I'm all for it. As far as I'm concerned, if your not "must carry", then you are "retransmission", and if you can't get together with Mediacom, then go and get a contract with another CBS affiliate. Somethings wrong here, if $inclair thinks they can have it both ways.

HD since Sept 2005
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page