Cedar Rapids, IA - HDTV - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 4956 Old 12-12-2006, 05:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I recently purchased the 34 inch wide screen Sony HD tube and love it. I also installed the 80" radio shack antenna in the attic and connected directly to my TV. I am getting signal strength of 95 plus on 2.1, 9.1, and 28.1 among others. I am only getting 60-65 on 7.1. In addition it drops to 40 and unlocks the signal. I even tried to adjust the antenna while monitoring the signal strength. No luck. I am in marion so I had a friend try it from Robbins and they had the same problem.

I also noticed several posts in here about the low signal strength at KWWL.

I sent an email to the main contact and the lead engineer. I would encourage everyone to do the same so they get the message they need to fix the problem.

I searched for "KWWL contact information" and found the email address for the station and the lead engineer.

if you have encountered this problem and fixed it somehow, let me know. I would appreciate it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 4956 Old 12-13-2006, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imajonzin View Post

I recently purchased the 34 inch wide screen Sony HD tube and love it. I also installed the 80" radio shack antenna in the attic and connected directly to my TV. I am getting signal strength of 95 plus on 2.1, 9.1, and 28.1 among others. I am only getting 60-65 on 7.1. In addition it drops to 40 and unlocks the signal. I even tried to adjust the antenna while monitoring the signal strength. No luck. I am in marion so I had a friend try it from Robbins and they had the same problem.

I also noticed several posts in here about the low signal strength at KWWL.

I sent an email to the main contact and the lead engineer. I would encourage everyone to do the same so they get the message they need to fix the problem.

I searched for "KWWL contact information" and found the email address for the station and the lead engineer.

if you have encountered this problem and fixed it somehow, let me know. I would appreciate it.

Blake,

KWWL DT is licensed for 194Kw ERP, which is lower than all the other local stations. Now this fact alone should not have too much effect on receiver levels or performance in our primary viewing area, but the addition of terrain could affect the overall signal strength to the point that the PQ is effected. Varying signal strength can come from weather conditions or multipath reflections from trees, buildings etc. Be assured that the transmitter power does not ordinarily vary.

I pay pretty close attention the folks on the AVS Forum and have not seen any outstanding problems reported with our transmissions since the exciter problems we had a couple of months ago. And of course, contrary to the accepted notion, we at KWWL, like all the other stations, do monitor our signal for quality at all times.

The decision to run essentially low ERP was made by the previous corporate engineering folks after determining that the 194kW ERP power would match our analog signal coverage.

Regards,

Dick Owens

Dick Owens, W4RNO

post #723 of 4956 Old 12-13-2006, 01:06 PM

Can anyone comment on their OTA HD reception in SE Iowa, ie: south of Iowa City?

After spending mucho dollars on an HDTV, I've come to find out that D* does not offer HD locals in my area so I'm considering re-connecting my old rooftop antennae. 6 years ago, when all I had was OTA, the reception was static on KGAN, but KWWL, KCRG, and FOX came in OK, but I'm wondering if it has improved at all.
post #724 of 4956 Old 12-13-2006, 03:01 PM

I too, have alot of trouble with Kwwl. It will be fine for several days, and them for the next week nothing but dropouts. Signal strength never exceeds 75% wheras the other stations are always above 85 and most are close to 100%. I live near Covenent Hospital in Waterloo. For the life of me I don't understand. Dick something is wrong with your signal. From where I live it should not be a problem picking up your Hi-def signal.
post #725 of 4956 Old 12-13-2006, 03:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubastevo View Post

Can anyone comment on their OTA HD reception in SE Iowa, ie: south of Iowa City?

After spending mucho dollars on an HDTV, I've come to find out that D* does not offer HD locals in my area so I'm considering re-connecting my old rooftop antennae. 6 years ago, when all I had was OTA, the reception was static on KGAN, but KWWL, KCRG, and FOX came in OK, but I'm wondering if it has improved at all.

SouthEast of Iowa City, you might be better off trying to pull in OTA from the Quad Cities, rather than from Cedar Rapids, as the antennas for CR stations are quite a good distance Northwest of CR to begin with.

Have you gone on Antennaweb.org to put in your address and find out how far away you are from respective antennae?
post #726 of 4956 Old 12-13-2006, 03:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mseicher View Post

I too, have alot of trouble with Kwwl. It will be fine for several days, and them for the next week nothing but dropouts. Signal strength never exceeds 75% wheras the other stations are always above 85 and most are close to 100%. I live near Covenent Hospital in Waterloo. For the life of me I don't understand. Dick something is wrong with your signal. From where I live it should not be a problem picking up your Hi-def signal.

Does everyone forget the facts that:

a) KWWL's tower is not colocated with KGAN, KCRG, KRIN, et. al.?
b) KWWL has already stated that they are using a lower signal strength than the aforementioned stations?

If you have a directional antenna, you will either need to find a compromise position between all of the antennae you wish to pull in, or get a rotor.

I would also not-so-humbly suggest that there is no problem on KWWL's end, but on the Customer Provided Equipment, i.e. YOUR receiver/tuner. My original Samsung 26" HDTV couldn't pull in much to save its life. My Sony XBR 960 tunes channels much better, without any change in the antenna setup. And my current Samsung 30" slimfit HDTV pulls in channels even better than the Sony.

I live at the bottom of a hill, with the hill between me and the antennae, and I have my antenna in the attic of my 80 year old house. Unless the weather is exceptionally bad, I can STILL pull in KWWL, even if the signal strength only shows 60%, and not have any dropouts.

So, before pointing fingers at KWWL and blaming Dick for everything, how about checking your OWN setup first?

Of course, on the flip-side, we know that the PSIP data in KFXA's digital signal would cause freezes in certain tuners, but they eventually fixed it, so there might be some sort of 1-in-100 issue with compatibility between KWWL's signal and some tuners...

In the end, it's not like KWWL is the anti-christ or anything (that title is still reserved for Sinclair, in my book). Sure, they do their share of pre-empting national programming and time-shifting shows, losing HD, but not nearly as much or as aggregiously as KCRG or KGAN.

Cut the guy a break, would ya?
post #727 of 4956 Old 12-13-2006, 08:12 PM

Mediacom to add QC CBS station to Iowa City...hopefully we will get the QAM HD too!
http://www.kcrg.com/news/local/4901261.html
post #728 of 4956 Old 12-13-2006, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CR_Client View Post

SouthEast of Iowa City, you might be better off trying to pull in OTA from the Quad Cities, rather than from Cedar Rapids, as the antennas for CR stations are quite a good distance Northwest of CR to begin with.

Have you gone on Antennaweb.org to put in your address and find out how far away you are from respective antennae?

Thanks for that website. I plugged in my address and it only came up with 3 DT stations, 2 on Fox and 1 PBS. The first post on this thread shows many more that antennaweb.org.. Can anyone confirm that there are more than 3 DT stations available in the IC area? When I went to KCRG.com, it shows 9.1 but antennaweb didn't list it.
It also shows the towers from 24 to 63 miles away.

channel network City Compass Miles from
yellow - uhf KYOU 15 FOX OTTUMWA IA 212° 24.4
* red - uhf KYOU-DT 15.1 FOX OTTUMWA IA 212° 24.4
red - uhf KWKB 20 CW IOWA CITY IA 47° 24.2
red - vhf KIIN 12 PBS IOWA CITY IA 49° 24.4
* red - uhf KIIN-DT 45.1 PBS IOWA CITY IA 49° 24.4
blue - uhf KFXA 28 FOX CEDAR RAPIDS IA 334° 45.8
blue - vhf KWWL 7 NBC WATERLOO IA 353° 63.1
blue - vhf KCRG 9 ABC CEDAR RAPIDS IA 351° 57.5
blue - uhf KRIN 32 PBS WATERLOO IA 351° 57.5
blue - vhf KGAN 2 CBS CEDAR RAPIDS IA 350° 56.2
violet - uhf KPXR 48 i CEDAR RAPIDS IA 350° 55.7
violet - vhf KTVO 3 ABC KIRKSVILLE MO 209° 76.8
* violet - uhf KFXA-DT 28.1 FOX CEDAR RAPIDS IA 334° 45.8
violet - vhf KWQC 6 NBC DAVENPORT IA 85° 63.5
violet - vhf WHBF 4 CBS ROCK ISLAND IL 85° 63.5

Is this just because antennaweb is not updated?
post #729 of 4956 Old 12-14-2006, 07:32 AM

Quote:

So, before pointing fingers at KWWL and blaming Dick for everything, how about checking your OWN setup first?

Anyone able to explain how despite the fact I get >=92% OTA signal from KWWL-DT at all times and yet two of the past three weeks ER has been goofed up (missing chunks of video and audio data, thus skipping several seconds to a minute or two of the show at a time) on my TiVo Series3 DVR.... and yet Heroes and Studio 60 on Mondays have never had that problem and neither have I had a problem watching Sunday Night Football in HD this season.

It would appear from my perspective to be a problem with broadcasting ER, specifically, and not a signal strength or (my) tuner issue, despite the fact I have friends who have CFU or Mediacom DVRs (Moto 6412) and say ER was fine for them those two weeks it was bad for me. I find it simply impossible, however, to believe my KWWL-DT signal and ATSC tuner only ever messes up at 9pm on a Thursday (and yet not on a Monday or Sunday evening).

I've had this DVR since the beginning of October and I estimate I've recorded now 80+ HD shows from the five DT broadcast networks OTA and yet only two episodes of ER have been corrupted. Simply coincidence?
post #730 of 4956 Old 12-14-2006, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Doesn't sound like coincidence to me... Sounds like a Tivo problem.

I've had not problems with recording ER via Myhd & Fusion QAM tuners thru Mediacom.
post #731 of 4956 Old 12-14-2006, 09:52 AM
Advanced Member

Scuba Steve-o:

AntennaWeb is updated, but it filters out any stations that don't have the broadcast strength to reach your location. KCRG's analog is barely powerful enough to reach you (thus all the static), which means their digital isn't worth trying to pull in with typical residential consumer equipment.

It'd be a crapshoot as to whether or not you'd be able to get it, depending on your setup. (some people have been able to pull stations 200-400 miles away, but with some rather monstrous setups and really favorable tropospheric conditions...)

Unfortunately, you might have to end up going with a rather sophisticated setup if you really want to be able to pull in the channels you want to pull in, based on your les-than-prime location.
post #732 of 4956 Old 12-14-2006, 01:39 PM

Quote:

Scuba Steve-o:

AntennaWeb is updated, but it filters out any stations that don't have the broadcast strength to reach your location. KCRG's analog is barely powerful enough to reach you (thus all the static), which means their digital isn't worth trying to pull in with typical residential consumer equipment.

It'd be a crapshoot as to whether or not you'd be able to get it, depending on your setup. (some people have been able to pull stations 200-400 miles away, but with some rather monstrous setups and really favorable tropospheric conditions...)

Unfortunately, you might have to end up going with a rather sophisticated setup if you really want to be able to pull in the channels you want to pull in, based on your les-than-prime location.

SHEESH!!!! thousands of dollars on an HDTV, HD-DVR, and only gonna get 7 HD channels from D*!
post #733 of 4956 Old 12-14-2006, 03:08 PM
Advanced Member

If you've already dropped thousands on an HDTV, etc, then what's another couple hundred to put up a nice mast, rotor, and antenna? Especially with temps in the 50s this weekend.

Unfortunately, I can't help much on what equipment you would actually need, but there are a lot of good suggestions in this thread as well as elsewhere on this site. The prevailing opinion is a ChannelMaster pre-amp, a decent rotor, and some other stuff. A lot of it is sold locally in the Quad Cities, or online, but you should be close enough to the QC to drive there for anything you need.

As I mentioned above, some rather sophisticated setups can pull stations from hundreds of miles away. I would imagine that 200-300 bucks would get you a quality antenna, mast, and rotor (the mast will depend on if you're roof-mounting, or putting a tower in the yard), and should get you a pretty decent variety of network HD programming.
post #734 of 4956 Old 12-14-2006, 06:20 PM

Quote:

Does everyone forget the facts that:

a) KWWL's tower is not colocated with KGAN, KCRG, KRIN, et. al.?
b) KWWL has already stated that they are using a lower signal strength than the aforementioned stations?

If you have a directional antenna, you will either need to find a compromise position between all of the antennae you wish to pull in, or get a rotor.

I would also not-so-humbly suggest that there is no problem on KWWL's end, but on the Customer Provided Equipment, i.e. YOUR receiver/tuner. My original Samsung 26" HDTV couldn't pull in much to save its life. My Sony XBR 960 tunes channels much better, without any change in the antenna setup. And my current Samsung 30" slimfit HDTV pulls in channels even better than the Sony.

I live at the bottom of a hill, with the hill between me and the antennae, and I have my antenna in the attic of my 80 year old house. Unless the weather is exceptionally bad, I can STILL pull in KWWL, even if the signal strength only shows 60%, and not have any dropouts.

Of course, on the flip-side, we know that the PSIP data in KFXA's digital signal would cause freezes in certain tuners, but they eventually fixed it, so there might be some sort of 1-in-100 issue with compatibility between KWWL's signal and some tuners...

In the end, it's not like KWWL is the anti-christ or anything (that title is still reserved for Sinclair, in my book). Sure, they do their share of pre-empting national programming and time-shifting shows, losing HD, but not nearly as much or as aggregiously as KCRG or KGAN.

Cut the guy a break, would ya?

I'm not suggesting that KWWL is the antichrist. I just don't understand why the reception is so intermitant. The other digital stations stay pretty constant, but not KWWL> As I said, one week everything works great, and then the next week the station is unwatchable due to all the breakups. And, from what I read on this forum, I'm not the only one with this problem.
post #735 of 4956 Old 12-14-2006, 06:22 PM

Quote:

If you've already dropped thousands on an HDTV, etc, then what's another couple hundred to put up a nice mast, rotor, and antenna? Especially with temps in the 50s this weekend.

Unfortunately, I can't help much on what equipment you would actually need, but there are a lot of good suggestions in this thread as well as elsewhere on this site. The prevailing opinion is a ChannelMaster pre-amp, a decent rotor, and some other stuff. A lot of it is sold locally in the Quad Cities, or online, but you should be close enough to the QC to drive there for anything you need.

As I mentioned above, some rather sophisticated setups can pull stations from hundreds of miles away. I would imagine that 200-300 bucks would get you a quality antenna, mast, and rotor (the mast will depend on if you're roof-mounting, or putting a tower in the yard), and should get you a pretty decent variety of network HD programming.

Very good point and I wouldn't mind having to spend a couple hundred more but...and here is the kicker...I just finished my basement for a nice theatre room and, unfortunately, didn't add a spare coax run thru the walls(I thought 2 feeds to the receiver would be enough. I'm sure it would be possible, but running another feed from the roof to the basement, right after we finished all the walls, just makes me sick to my stomach.
post #736 of 4956 Old 12-15-2006, 05:58 PM

Hi Guys, I very new here and have been trying to figure out how to do a new post to just this Cedar Rapids forum. When I click on new post, it takes me to a general forum - - ANYWAY - - I'm not having much luck with the search engine either - - Is anyone in Cedar Rapids pulling in the Quad Cities stations in either analog or digital? I just put a VHF/UHF antenna up on my chimney box (30' up) today but was only able to pull in a snowy WHBF channel 4 from Bettendorf. I do have 24 year old antennas in my attic that pull in perfect digital signals from our local stations but would really like to pull the Quad Cities if it's possible. Thanks!
post #737 of 4956 Old 12-16-2006, 05:34 AM

I got off on the wrong foot when I first got on this forum asking everyone to contact KWWL about their signal issues I encountered. I jumped the gun and apologize for this.

I do appreciate the quickness that the KWWL engineer responded to my email. I did not know he was monitoring this forum for issues. He also posted my email on this forum along with his response.

Now, I have done more research and more troubleshooting and still have an issue with the KWWL signal dropping out and loosing lock intermittently. I have installed an amplifier that got my signal strength up to around 70 or so. This would be perfectly acceptable if it was steady. The problem is the signal drops to around 40, looses lock and causes audio skips and drops video on occasion. This is very frustrating. I have read of others on this forum encountering the exact same problem. No other stations have this issue and I have tried to identify anything in my house and the neighborhood that would cause signal interference. I could understand a slight variation in the signal strength such as a few db drop occasionally, however, going from a 70 to a 40 in an instant is not normal.

So I understand KWWL signal strength is lower than the other stations and would be perfectly fine with that if the signal was steady. I would ask others to take a look at 7.1 for a while and see if there is variation in your signal strength and report your findings.
post #738 of 4956 Old 12-16-2006, 09:22 PM

Hey guys,

I noticed tonight on Mediacom in North Liberty that WHBF (QC CBS) was on Channel 19 (a couple weeks earlier than advertised) I promptly scanned for the digital version on my QAM tuner and didn't find anything. Does anybody know if Mediacom transmits the digital WHBF over QAM in the Quad Cities? Or more importantly have any info on whether we'll be getting it here? I can get KGAN OTA, but I'm tired of the ridiculous sync problems they always have. Plus it would be great to be completely free of Sinclair....

Wondering if my best bet would be to post this in the QC discussion.

Ben
post #739 of 4956 Old 12-17-2006, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requieme View Post

I noticed tonight on Mediacom in North Liberty that WHBF (QC CBS) was on Channel 19 (a couple weeks earlier than advertised) I promptly scanned for the digital version on my QAM tuner and didn't find anything. Does anybody know if Mediacom transmits the digital WHBF over QAM in the Quad Cities? Or more importantly have any info on whether we'll be getting it here? I can get KGAN OTA, but I'm tired of the ridiculous sync problems they always have. Plus it would be great to be completely free of Sinclair....

Iowa City, too. Haven't been able to find it in HD yet though.
post #740 of 4956 Old 12-18-2006, 03:40 PM

Anyone know if/when a deal is reached with Mediacom and Sinclair if they will actually start carrying the KGAN HD feed through Mediacom in Waterloo? Or is Sinclair going to ask even more money which Mediacom is not willing to pay?
post #741 of 4956 Old 12-18-2006, 05:04 PM

has anyone else lost espn2 hd on channel 111.1? it was up yesterday and then no longer today when i checked after work.
post #742 of 4956 Old 12-18-2006, 05:18 PM
AVS Special Member

I also just noticed ESPN2 gone... Guess they finally realized their mistake.
post #743 of 4956 Old 12-18-2006, 06:54 PM

Was just scanning the digital cable box here in IC/North Liberty, and Mediacom added WHBF Digital to its HD lineup!!!

It says "Will be available shortly" I just scanned 112 - 115 on my QAM tuner, and don't see anything yet, but I think it will be anytime now.

Way to go Mediacom!!!
post #744 of 4956 Old 12-18-2006, 07:49 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by svsneo View Post

Anyone know if/when a deal is reached with Mediacom and Sinclair if they will actually start carrying the KGAN HD feed through Mediacom in Waterloo? Or is Sinclair going to ask even more money which Mediacom is not willing to pay?

There hasn't been any talk(at least not publicly) about the HD broadcast for KGAN. It doesn't even sound like they will reach a deal for the analog channel before Jan 5.
post #745 of 4956 Old 12-19-2006, 09:03 AM - Thread Starter

I came up to northern Iowa to visit my parents for Christmas. I brought along with me my Fusion HDTV USB tuner to grab some data on the local stations up here. My recording location is about 3 miles SW of Clarksville, Iowa in Butler County. The included link below is to a Google Spreadsheet of the data I gathered. Included are the MPEG2 bitrates, AC3 bitrates, and the AC3 normalization values. When I get back home I'll upload the raw data that was captured. (We only have dialup here and to upload that stuff would require more patience than I own.)

Google Spreadsheet

You will have to click on the East IA tab to find the data I grabbed today. Also, at the bottom of the spreadsheet are notes about some of the stations. Enjoy.

(Note: Comments and other information in my posts are strictly my opinions only and not those of my employer or their parent company and network.)
post #746 of 4956 Old 12-19-2006, 09:35 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Requieme View Post

Was just scanning the digital cable box here in IC/North Liberty, and Mediacom added WHBF Digital to its HD lineup!!!

It says "Will be available shortly" I just scanned 112 - 115 on my QAM tuner, and don't see anything yet, but I think it will be anytime now.

Way to go Mediacom!!!

Channel 804 (WHBF) still a no-go in Iowa City at 6:30 this morning....hoping for the Mediacom "box push" to bring it up.
Analog on ch19 (WHBF) looks better than I thought it would. ota?

HD since Sept 2005
post #747 of 4956 Old 12-19-2006, 03:18 PM

Found it on 113.1 on QAM in IC/North Liberty.

They are having some quality issues right now. Occassional pauses in video and audio. Hopefully resolved soon.

Ben
post #748 of 4956 Old 12-19-2006, 03:54 PM

I have been eagerly anticipating WHBF-DT on Mediacom in Johnson County. I got home tonight and found that it was finally live; the CBS Evening News was on. Although there's a logo on the screen that says "WHBF-DT", the signal is nothing more than a stretched low-res fuzzy 4:3 feed with the DT logo in the corner. This is a big disappointment. I hope it's only temporary, and that it will eventually be HDTV. Does anyone know if the WHBF-DT signal on Mediacom in the Quad-Cities is in HD?

I want to dump KGAN, but the standard KGAN signal on Mediacom is much sharper than this and the aspect ratio isn't distorted.
post #749 of 4956 Old 12-19-2006, 04:10 PM

Hey Antigua,

Just because they stretch their SD content, doesn't mean they won't be broadcasting their HD content correctly. In fact, OTA KGAN for me is always stretched until the HD programming comes on in Prime Time. Keep your eyes peeled. I bet at 7, you'll be happy.

btw, are you also seeing hiccups in the audio and video?

Ben
post #750 of 4956 Old 12-19-2006, 04:31 PM
AVS Special Member

WHBF in QC DOES use stretch-o-vison..... HD content will be fine...
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page