Cedar Rapids, IA - HDTV - Page 28 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #811 of 4956 Old 01-07-2007, 05:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'll be recording/watching Cold Case on KGAN at 8:00 PM. Can others post here any issues they see....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 4956 Old 01-07-2007, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingvee View Post

vale - dunno about yesterday, but today's Patriots - Jets game is almost unwatchable.

I agree, something was wrong on their end. My signal meter was reading 88-90% and then drop to 0 for a second and then it was back up. It did this repeatedly and I had to watch analog instead... sheesh

I hate the smell of opinions when I log on :)
post #813 of 4956 Old 01-08-2007, 06:59 AM

I had had alot of breakup problems during the game yesterday also. Evening programs were fine.
post #814 of 4956 Old 01-08-2007, 07:05 AM

Jets/Patriots game was very annoying to watch. Wonder if it was KGANs isse or CBS?
post #815 of 4956 Old 01-08-2007, 09:18 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsduke View Post

Sinclair is picking their battle against a small fry first. If they get what they want they will move on to bigger fish.

The date with the BIG DOG is 2/5/07 http://www.broadcastingcable.com/art...=Breaking+News

HD since Sept 2005
post #816 of 4956 Old 01-08-2007, 11:25 AM

A Mediacom vp commented about the Sinclair dispute here...

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,17601670
post #817 of 4956 Old 01-08-2007, 01:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowahawkeye View Post

The date with the BIG DOG is 2/5/07 http://www.broadcastingcable.com/art...=Breaking+News

Wow... Just, wow... Pulled from MediaCom tihs past weekend, pulling from TWC this coming weekend, and trying to pull from Comcast?

I'm glad to see the cable companies standing up to the monopolistic bully. Unfortunately, because of the unfair anti-competitive regulations that were built by the FCC, market forces can't drive Sinclair out of business. Hopefully with cable companies such as Comcast taking a stand against Sinclair, we can put an end to this insanity.
post #818 of 4956 Old 01-08-2007, 05:50 PM

Quote:

A Mediacom vp commented about the Sinclair dispute here...

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,17601670

Heres an important quote from this, at least to me.

Quote:

Most retransmission deals include both the standard definition and digital (HD) signals, so we hope that when we conclude an agreement with Sinclair, we will be able to bring their HD signals to our customers.

Lets hope they can come to an agreement soon. KGAN in HD would be worth an increase in price.
post #819 of 4956 Old 01-09-2007, 09:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsneo View Post

KGAN in HD would be worth an increase in price.

Speak for yourself. All of the other locals provide their digital feeds without extra cost. I only have the $13 package right now (which used to be $10) to supplement my antenna. If that ultra-basic package starts to approach $20 (~$1 per channel), it's not worth it.

Having ALL of the locals on QAM would certainly be nice, but that's a pretty short-sighted feeling to be willing to pay more for what everyone else give away for free.
post #820 of 4956 Old 01-09-2007, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CR_Client View Post

I'm glad to see the cable companies standing up to the monopolistic bully. Unfortunately, because of the unfair anti-competitive regulations that were built by the FCC, market forces can't drive Sinclair out of business. Hopefully with cable companies such as Comcast taking a stand against Sinclair, we can put an end to this insanity.

Of course, you could win the Powerball this Wednesday and offer to buy the station.

Views are strictly my own unless otherwise noted.
"ItÂs looking more like Y2K than the Bay of Pigs." - FCC Commissioner Adelstein, 6-13-09, on the DTV switch
post #821 of 4956 Old 01-09-2007, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

NEW KWKB (CW) INFO ... cross your fingers and hope for the best ...

As you may have noticed, KWKB-DT isn't at full power yet, and according to the FCC website, they've filed for another extension. Only this time, they're telling the FCC that they're almost there.

In a new filing, the station says engineering and DTV construction funding issues "had already been resolved by KM (KWKB's owner) when the Extension Request (to December 31, 2006) was filed." It goes on to say that:

"... all DTV transmission equipment has been delivered and installed as authorized in its DTV permit, ready for final testing by the transmitter manufacturer and the initiation of program test authority operations. However, due to scheduling issues with the transmitter manufacturer, the testing has not been nor will be completed by December 31, 2006 as hoped; instead, KM understands and anticipates that the transmitter manufacturer will be available to complete its testing, and KWKB should be able to begin program test operations with its permanent DTV facilities, in mid-January 2007."

KWKB is asking for an extension until February 28.

Source: http://svartifoss2.fcc.gov/prod/cdbs...ibit_id=459723

"ItÂs looking more like Y2K than the Bay of Pigs." - FCC Commissioner Adelstein, 6-13-09, on the DTV switch
post #822 of 4956 Old 01-09-2007, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CR_Client View Post

Speak for yourself. All of the other locals provide their digital feeds without extra cost. I only have the $13 package right now (which used to be $10) to supplement my antenna. If that ultra-basic package starts to approach $20 (~$1 per channel), it's not worth it.

Having ALL of the locals on QAM would certainly be nice, but that's a pretty short-sighted feeling to be willing to pay more for what everyone else give away for free.

So I have a question for you. Do you think we are going to get out of this ordeal WITHOUT an increase in price? Somehow I don't think Mediacom is going to just eat whatever cost they end up paying Sinclair.

And I wasn't talking about a huge increase in price. I know one report was saying something like 40 cents a subscriber, so its nothing too big.
post #823 of 4956 Old 01-10-2007, 09:17 AM

Quote:

So I have a question for you. Do you think we are going to get out of this ordeal WITHOUT an increase in price? Somehow I don't think Mediacom is going to just eat whatever cost they end up paying Sinclair.

And I wasn't talking about a huge increase in price. I know one report was saying something like 40 cents a subscriber, so its nothing too big.

There WILL be a price increase with/without the $inclair flap, it seems to happen every year. As for the 40 cents/month per sub, don't forget to multiply that figure times 4 or 5, depending on the number of locals on your system. Over the course of a couple of years, they will all want their/or more money....it will never end.
The $inclair flap may delay the yearly mediacom price increase, until that's settled, since mediacom may not want to hit your/our rabbit ears with an increase.

HD since Sept 2005
post #824 of 4956 Old 01-10-2007, 11:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

You're making a false assumption that this will end with MediaCom paying Sinclair a vastly increased price. If MediaCom and TWC hold out against Sinclair, ComCast is more likely to hold out as well. With that much pressure and public outcry (ComCast has an even better PR department than MediaCom), Sinclair can't hold up ridiculous demands forever.

While I don't necessarily think that MediaCom holds the interests of its customers close to its heart, they seem willing to stay the course against the oppressively ridiculous demands of a monopolistic company.
post #825 of 4956 Old 01-10-2007, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

You also have to take in to account that Mediacom would want to recoup expenses incurred for having to pay Sinclair 40 cents. Your 40 cents to Sinclair could easily become 60 or 75 if not more.

(Note: Comments and other information in my posts are strictly my opinions only and not those of my employer or their parent company and network.)
post #826 of 4956 Old 01-10-2007, 06:51 PM

I hope these aren't dumb questions, but:
1. how are you testing signal strength?
2. I assume weather can affect UHF signal, but can time of day or darkness? My signal seems much better at night than during the day. I don't know how to measure it to be sure. Thanks for any info.
post #827 of 4956 Old 01-10-2007, 08:20 PM
AVS Special Member

many stbs have a SIGNAL button, or something similar - and then display a bar graph, or something similar to show signal strength. Different boxes by different companies have displays of differing usefulness - my Samsungs are slightly useful, but they have no numerical values, and the correspondence between the values shown and actual signal strength are subject to debate.

others have HD cards in their pcs; that is usually a lot better. Some hd tvs have signal meters, some don't.

Time of day can and does affect sd VHF signals; I'll defer to the experts on the forum re UHF, but one could assume it does - after all, at night, the sun and all of it's associated radiation is safely behind a big ball of dirt and water.

Jon

Denon DVP - everyone else loves it.
post #828 of 4956 Old 01-11-2007, 06:16 AM

I am curious as to why more people don't change to a dish. I know for some it is not possible due to location and covenents. I got sick of Mediacom lying and making promises that they did not keep several years ago and went to Dish with no regrets. Dish is not perfect by any means but is cheaper and far better than Mediacom.
post #829 of 4956 Old 01-11-2007, 01:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawk View Post

I am curious as to why more people don't change to a dish. I know for some it is not possible due to location and covenents. I got sick of Mediacom lying and making promises that they did not keep several years ago and went to Dish with no regrets. Dish is not perfect by any means but is cheaper and far better than Mediacom.

Because Dish doesn't have a package that gets me my locals in HD for only $13 a month after tax. I would spend that much per month just to rent boxes to watch Dish on my TVs, never mind the actual subscription to the service and the fees to cut all of the trees in my neighbors' yards down.

Also, as far as "covenants" go, there are plenty of posts in other forums on how to deal with homeowners' associations and the like. The myth of "I can't have a dish or antenna because of my neighborhood laws" is just that, a myth.
post #830 of 4956 Old 01-11-2007, 03:26 PM

"Sinclair Decides Not to Submit Mediacom Negotiation to Binding Arbitration..."

http://www.sbgi.net/press/release_2007111_198.shtml
post #831 of 4956 Old 01-11-2007, 07:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

In effect, the failure of Mediacom to rebroadcast the signals of these
stations is no different than one store failing to carry a specific
product, requiring consumers to visit a different store if they care to
purchase that product.

Hmmm... I guess if Uncle Sam was providing these stores workspace for free, that may be a good analogy....
post #832 of 4956 Old 01-12-2007, 07:44 AM

So, it's probably an antenna issue, but why is KWWL so hard to get on the South Side of CR?
post #833 of 4956 Old 01-12-2007, 08:57 AM

Quote:

"Sinclair Decides Not to Submit Mediacom Negotiation to Binding Arbitration..."

http://www.sbgi.net/press/release_2007111_198.shtml

I think this is the final nail. Looks like we won't see channel 2 on Mediacom anytime in the near future.

Mike

It's toe-tappingly tragic!
post #834 of 4956 Old 01-12-2007, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mininday View Post

So, it's probably an antenna issue, but why is KWWL so hard to get on the South Side of CR?

That's a great question. One that I've struggled with for 3 years. I get every other station in the upper 90s. No amount of antenna tweaking will pull KWWL.
post #835 of 4956 Old 01-12-2007, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanderna View Post

That's a great question. One that I've struggled with for 3 years. I get every other station in the upper 90s. No amount of antenna tweaking will pull KWWL.

My Samsung was getting 8 bars at noon news time but still pixellating up a storm, so it was probably a problem at the station end.

They must have done something, because it looked good for the weather block.

post #836 of 4956 Old 01-12-2007, 10:51 AM
Advanced Member

My KWWL over QAM was flaking out pretty badly in the first 10 minutes of Law & Order: Criminal Intent this past Tuesday (8 PM CST). I switched to the analog cable feed until after the first commercial break (didn't check OTA, as my antenna is loaned out to someone else), at which point it seemed to have been cleared up.

If there are problems with the QAM signal at the same time as there are OTA problems, does that point to an issue at KWWL, or at NBC HQ?
post #837 of 4956 Old 01-12-2007, 11:39 AM

For those with ota recption problems, if you didn't know about this site, here it is.
Remember these values are from CFU's building in Cedar Falls, but are a good indicator of overall signal strength, plus you can tell if a stations transmitter has lost power/strength. To me it looks like KWWL's power is down somewhat compared to a week ago or so (clic on the graph to see more)
http://www.cfu.net/CyberNet/HD/

HD since Sept 2005
post #838 of 4956 Old 01-12-2007, 12:53 PM

Just wanted to corroborate problems pulling in KWWL during the last week. I'm on the south side of Iowa City, and have been getting KWWL in HD OTA all fall, but the signal was breaking up all over the place, both on last sunday night, and last night (thursday), ruining my scheduled recording of ER.

At almost 3pm, I'm only getting about 61% signal according to my Sony DHG-HDD250. My other stations are all around 77-85% and not exhibiting problems (other than the KGAN problems last sunday afternoon).
post #839 of 4956 Old 01-13-2007, 07:38 PM

All this Mediascam talk sickens me.

To hell with those thieves. Sinclair is no better, of course, but who really cares?

I now receive every possible local digital channel with a cheap arse $10 cardboard/plastic antenna. Including Sinclair's crap stations.

In case some didn't know, if you get cable Internet through Mediascam, you can split it and grab the locals (with a QAM tuner, of course) without paying anything extra. Naturally they won't tell you this, but it is easily done.

Let us hope KWKB gets full power soon. That's the only one left.
post #840 of 4956 Old 01-15-2007, 09:03 AM

Interesting article which appears to give a good overview for what is going on now with Sinclair and the cable companies:
http://www.kentucky.com/mld/kentucky/16462786.htm

I still find faulty logic in the broadcaster position. I don't care if cable companies charged $100 just to watch one broadcast channel. These broadcasters were given licenses to put up and operate their towers and their business model was and is STILL based on advertising, to support freely letting the populace receive, when/where/if they are able, their broadcast.

Sure, cable came along and put in the infrastructure to deliver video which doesn't require each household to deal with their own hassles of trying to tune in their own pristine (hardly likely with analog) reception. It's not the cable industry's fault they were clever enough to build a mouse trap around the cheese the broadcasters freely put out in the middle of the room.

I mean, these broadcasters are sending out their programming out on electromagnetic waves without a care in the world, but now they decide to piss and moan that they don't have complete control of how those radio waves are received and used? Seems to me, the broadcasters woke up one day recently and had an epiphany about how stupid they have been since the dawn of their creation.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page