Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 4956 Old 03-22-2006, 04:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkTV View Post

I can't really give you any specific information on the 9-2 subchannel. We are looking at a few really good options. We are in the testing phase and you will probably see content pop up occasionally, so we can make sure the encoder and PSIP information is working correctly etc..

What kind of content do you think local viewers would like to see on a local station's subchannel? I would love to hear from anyone who has ideas or opinions and I would be happy to pass that information along to others at KCRG involved in the design phase.

Enjoy your HDTV,

KirkTV

I would love to see a radar loop with no national content.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 4956 Old 03-22-2006, 04:49 PM

What kind of content do you think local viewers would like to see on a local station's subchannel? I would love to hear from anyone who has ideas or opinions and I would be happy to pass that information along to others at KCRG involved in the design phase.

Don't put Iowa State basketball on over "Lost". Put Basketball on the sub since it is in SD anyway
post #63 of 4956 Old 03-22-2006, 05:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Gosh, you'll probably get ALL kinds of ideas from us! I think, most importantly though you will hear that we would prefer nothing if it interferes with the quality of HD.

Maybe, if you could give us an idea of what options there are to choose from??? I personally don't mind your local weather radar as long as quality is not compromised.
post #64 of 4956 Old 03-23-2006, 01:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayner3 View Post

Don't put Iowa State basketball on over "Lost". Put Basketball on the sub since it is in SD anyway

Ultimately that could happen. However, as long as there's analog, and as long as most viewers can't get 9-2, it won't.

There's immense pressure from the large Cyclone contingent out here (it is HUGE in Linn County) to broadcast the basketball games, and pressure from fans of "Lost" and other ABC shows to air those shows even if it means delaying them to alternate times. Problem is, there are rights issues involved if you try to air a show on, say, DT 9-1 and then try to re-air at a later time it for the analog viewers who missed it. If I recall correctly, KCRG used to air Cyclone games and local specials only on analog and regular ABC programming on digital -- and tape-delaying that regular programming for analog-only viewers -- but ABC told them they can't do that anymore. So the sub solution will only work when analog is over and done with, and only until the Cyclone Network succumbs to the pressure to go HD, if that ever happens.

The same issue applies to KGAN, the Hawkeye network station.

Assuming KCRG and KGAN keep Cyclone and Hawkeye basketball on the air next season, we can only hope they get HD delay equipment betweek now and tip-off.

Views are strictly my own unless otherwise noted.
"ItÂs looking more like Y2K than the Bay of Pigs." - FCC Commissioner Adelstein, 6-13-09, on the DTV switch
post #65 of 4956 Old 03-23-2006, 11:02 AM
uhf

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfujoe View Post

I would love to see a radar loop with no national content.

I'll second that.

The comments and opinions expressed in my posts are strictly my own and are not necessarily those of my employer or anyone else.
post #66 of 4956 Old 03-23-2006, 07:48 PM

Liked: 11
Anyone else notice choppy video on KWWL HD. I'm watching through Mediacom and been seeing it all night. Audio is fine though.

Also still seeing the picture freeze starting at 9pm every night. Is anyone ever going to fix this??
post #67 of 4956 Old 03-23-2006, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsduke View Post

Anyone else notice choppy video on KWWL HD. I'm watching through Mediacom and been seeing it all night. Audio is fine though.

Also still seeing the picture freeze starting at 9pm every night. Is anyone ever going to fix this??

Yea, still happening here in Dubuque, Its only the 9pm show on KWWL. Everything else is fine on the station.
Pretty much gotten to the point where I cant watch any 9pm show on HD
post #68 of 4956 Old 03-24-2006, 04:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Duke... It would be helpful to know where you are. It may be the same problem as nalek if you are in Dubuque, but who knows????
post #69 of 4956 Old 03-24-2006, 06:48 AM

I'm in Waterloo. It is the same problem as discussed earlier in this thread. I hooked up to HD in early February and this has been happening the entire time.

Mediacom knows of the issue with line between KWWL and them but said they don't know if it's them or KWWL.
post #70 of 4956 Old 03-24-2006, 09:11 AM

Here's what I would like to see on a 9-2 subchannel:

1. Nothing, if it degrades the pristine HD signal on 9-1.
2. If #1 doesn't apply, how about a a 24/7 split screen with the left half showing dodecatuple-doppler radar and the right half being a live SkyCam?
3. Replays of the most recent local newscast, for folks who have lives at 12, 6 and 10.

Mike

It's toe-tappingly tragic!
post #71 of 4956 Old 03-24-2006, 09:59 AM
uhf

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfnz34me View Post

3. Replays of the most recent local newscast, for folks who have lives at 12, 6 and 10.

Great idea.

The comments and opinions expressed in my posts are strictly my own and are not necessarily those of my employer or anyone else.
post #72 of 4956 Old 03-24-2006, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

For those interested... KCRG has a skycam going on 9-2 right now. I personally could care less for skycams, but that's just me.

Here's what the stream stats show:
9-1 = 13.37 Mbps
9-2 = 3.81 Mbps

For what it's worth, I have a sample reference file that I saved from back in August and at that time they were showing about 12 Mbps on 9-1, and about 6.5 Mbps of NULL packets.

So, unless there are some drastic changes made we've probably already been used to a lower bitrate for a while.
post #73 of 4956 Old 03-24-2006, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsduke View Post

I'm in Waterloo. It is the same problem as discussed earlier in this thread. I hooked up to HD in early February and this has been happening the entire time.

Mediacom knows of the issue with line between KWWL and them but said they don't know if it's them or KWWL.

One way to answer this is to find out if any over-the-air viewers are having a similar problem with KWWL at 9 p.m., or whether it's just Mediacom subs.

(I'd check myself, but I'm not usually able to watch KWWL-DT at that hour. I rarely, if ever, have trouble with them at the times I do watch..)

"ItÂs looking more like Y2K than the Bay of Pigs." - FCC Commissioner Adelstein, 6-13-09, on the DTV switch
post #74 of 4956 Old 03-24-2006, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtvincr View Post

For those interested... KCRG has a skycam going on 9-2 right now. I personally could care less for skycams, but that's just me.

Here's what the stream stats show:
9-1 = 13.37 Mbps
9-2 = 3.81 Mbps

For what it's worth, I have a sample reference file that I saved from back in August and at that time they were showing about 12 Mbps on 9-1, and about 6.5 Mbps of NULL packets.

So, unless there are some drastic changes made we've probably already been used to a lower bitrate for a while.

hdtvincr,

You are correct that at certain points KCRG had the video portion of their 9-1 stream down to 12Mbs. We have been testing different bit rates for video from 12Mbs - 18Mbs to see if there was a drastic change in picture quality. For example the Super Bowl was ramped to a higher bit rate and Monday night footbal was tested at different levels. Most people were not even aware or noticed any changes in our testing. Currently we are using about 14Mbs for the video on 9-1.

KirkTV
post #75 of 4956 Old 03-24-2006, 06:48 PM
AVS Special Member

tsduke - exactly when are you seeing the problem with KWWL-DT? I'm in CF, viewing OTA - I rarely watch, cuz there is nothing on at that time I want to watch. Leno is usually fine - gimme a specific time to watch for, and I'll see if there is anything there.

Jon

Denon DVP - everyone else loves it.
post #76 of 4956 Old 03-24-2006, 06:51 PM
AVS Special Member

ok - WTH are they doing now? Witchita was HD, looked great. Then switched to Villanova, stretchomatic SD. OK - I'll buy that, CBS can't afford two HD cameras. But then, for the last minute of OT, miraculously CBS has transported and hooked up the HD cameras at Minneapolis, and the final minute of Nova is in HD.

WHO forgot to hit what switch where? Whoever it was, you may have been better off letting us watch crap, and we could be happy blaming the network.

Jon

post #77 of 4956 Old 03-24-2006, 07:49 PM

flyingvee

It freezes, just like hitting pause on the dvd player. Lasts anywhere from a few seconds to several seconds. It also happens several time during the 9pm hour. I do believe it's only an issue between KWWL and Mediacom. I haven't come across any CFU or OTA people with the problem.

KWWL engineer, Dick Owens said both the General Manager and News director have CFU and don't see the problem.
post #78 of 4956 Old 03-25-2006, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingvee View Post

and the final minute of Nova is in HD.

WHO forgot to hit what switch where? Whoever it was, you may have been better off letting us watch crap, and we could be happy blaming the network.

I called KGAN last nite during the Nova game and asked why it wasn't in HD. The response-" we haven't gotten around to switching it yet". That was about 20 minutes into the SD stretch-o-vision. Unbelievable!

HD since '03
post #79 of 4956 Old 03-25-2006, 05:26 AM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfnz34me View Post

Here's what I would like to see on a 9-2 subchannel:

1. Nothing, if it degrades the pristine HD signal on 9-1.
2. If #1 doesn't apply, how about a a 24/7 split screen with the left half showing dodecatuple-doppler radar and the right half being a live SkyCam?

Mike

Careful, if you come up with too many good ideas, you may get them all.
post #80 of 4956 Old 03-25-2006, 06:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPanther95 View Post

Careful, if you come up with too many good ideas, you may get them all.

oh - just checked your location. for a sec I figured you were local, and had just viewed the PAX digital channel (4 subs, no main that I can discern.)

I've heard of digitals in larger markets with up to 8 subs - do you have any over where you live? (maybe someone extra scummy aroung Raliegh-Durham?)

Jon

post #81 of 4956 Old 03-25-2006, 08:40 AM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Not to get off topic here, but as an FYI - Charlotte's NBC and CBS both multicast and the PQ is horrendous. NBC has Weather+ and about 14 Mbs for their HD channel while CBS has an SD simulcast, radar and only 12 Mbs for HD. Not even close to adequate for a 1080i station.

In contrast, ABC has only a full time Doppler and offers a pristine picture. Even FOX with an SD simulcast and weather radar yields a superior picture to CBS and NBC.

As far as DTV ideas, one interesting thing that our local FOX station does with their Doppler radar channel is offer 3 different audio tracks so you can select the National Weather Service audio that applies to your specific part of the viewing area. The Charlotte DMA is pretty spread out geographically, so that may not necessarily be of benefit within your DMA if it is more narrowly defined.
post #82 of 4956 Old 03-25-2006, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member

The big difference is that ABC and Fox affiliates, at 720p, have a little more breathing room.

But when our NBC announced it was adding Weather Plus and a third sub, their engineer at the time assured us that KWWL's encoder can juggle bandwidth among the three services, with NBC HD getting the highest priority. So far they've tended to do pretty well on 7-1.

post #83 of 4956 Old 03-25-2006, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPanther95 View Post

The Charlotte DMA is pretty spread out geographically, so that may not necessarily be of benefit within your DMA if it is more narrowly defined.

If only it were. See this map.

post #84 of 4956 Old 03-25-2006, 07:25 PM

Just lost KCRG. KWWl and KGAN OK.
post #85 of 4956 Old 03-25-2006, 07:36 PM
AVS Special Member

KCRG fine for me at 9:30PM...... (OTA & Mediacom)
post #86 of 4956 Old 03-26-2006, 06:26 AM

I don't have KCRG at this time either, on both my OTA receivers - been down all morning.
post #87 of 4956 Old 03-26-2006, 06:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Yea... I noticed around 10:00PM last night they were indeed down. Must have some big problems.
post #88 of 4956 Old 03-26-2006, 07:36 AM

tried finding info on their web site, nothing...
post #89 of 4956 Old 03-26-2006, 08:13 AM

We had a major power supply failure and are in the process of trying to secure parts to repair the digital transmitter. We are trying to talk our transmitter manufacturer into coming in on Sunday and driving to pick up the needed parts. We will try to keep our website updated with additional information when we know more.

KirkTV
post #90 of 4956 Old 03-26-2006, 08:15 AM

From the schedule page on KCRG's web site:

Subject: KCRG-DT Signal - Currently Off The Air

KCRG's Digital Television signal is currently off the air due to transmitter issues which developed on Saturday evening 3/25.

KCRG's Engineers are working to correct the problem and restore our digital signal as soon as possible. We'll provide additional updates here as we learn more.

Thanks for your patience and your interest in our digital television signal.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page