post #901 of 4956 Old 01-27-2007, 02:00 PM
uhf

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dline View Post

I do know that IPTV has been promoting the potential of both multicasting and HD for years,

IPTV does not have an HD master control facility operating at this time. Until that goes online the multicasting will be limited. The last plan I heard was to have 4 different multicasts going, at least during non-primetime hours, one a kids channel, a classroom resource channel, some college level telecourses, and possibly an adult (non college) learning service. For now they mostly push through the PBS-HD service off the satellite, which is really a temporary thing even though it's been that way since IPTV Digital signed on on August of 2004.

I'm not in the loop as to what is happening at the studio and master control so I don't know anymore than what I've posted here, the information I get mostly relates to transmitters.

The comments and opinions expressed in my posts are strictly my own and are not necessarily those of my employer or anyone else.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 4956 Old 01-28-2007, 08:30 AM

I moved to the Greensboro, NC area and the local PBS does multicasting here, five channels during the day with no HD. In the evening at 8:30 the go to one SD (same as analog) and one HD. However, if you subscribe to Time Warner Cable you get all five PBS SD plus the one HD via clear QAM all day and all evening.
post #903 of 4956 Old 01-29-2007, 06:28 PM
uhf

The IPTV Plus channel will be a pass through of Create (www.createtv.com) supplemented with samples of Iptv Kids, Iptv Learns, and Iptv World. There should be more info about this on IPTV's website some time tomorrow.

The comments and opinions expressed in my posts are strictly my own and are not necessarily those of my employer or anyone else.
post #904 of 4956 Old 01-29-2007, 06:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks uhf - whatever you post here is more than 99% of us would know otherwise. I just hope they continue with at least a hd feed of "normal" pbs material. Soundstage was great the last couple of weeks. Made me really regret not grabbing an HD dvr while I still could, for a reasonable price.

Jon

Denon DVP - everyone else loves it.
post #905 of 4956 Old 01-29-2007, 08:30 PM
uhf

flyingvee- as far as I know the IPTV HD channel will be unaffected but I will ask about that.

post #906 of 4956 Old 01-30-2007, 08:43 AM
uhf

Beginning Thursday, February 1, Iowa Public Television will no longer simulcast our analog schedule on our second digital channel. Instead, IPTV will begin a demonstration of our multicasting options on a new channel, IPTV Plus. On this channel, you'll now see outstanding how-to programming every day and on weekends through IPTV Create. Weeknights during prime time, we'll showcase one of our future multicast programming streams each evening. On Mondays, viewers can enjoy IPTV Kids programming from 7 - 10 p.m. On Tuesdays, see Spanish-language programming on V-Me. On Wednesdays, IPTV Learns provides educational programming for learners of all ages. Thursday, you'll get a sneak peek at IPTV World, our channel devoted to programming about our state, our nation, and our world. And Friday nights, enjoy favorites from our traditional schedule.

If you've been watching regular IPTV programming on our second digital channel, please tune in to the primary analog channel in your area.

Beginning February 1, visit www.iptv.org/digital for schedules for IPTV Digital and IPTV Plus.

post #907 of 4956 Old 01-30-2007, 07:05 PM
Advanced Member

KWWL is pixellating like nobody's business on QAM as of about 8:53 PM CST tonight. It appears to have finally cleared up as of right now (9:03 PM).

Again, I pose the question: When QAM is pixellating and no other QAM channels are having problems, does that point to a local or national issue? I wouldn't be surprised if my issues tonight corresponded to similar OTA issues, but my antenna is optimized for KGAN and no other channels right now, so I couldn't check when it was happening.
post #908 of 4956 Old 01-30-2007, 07:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Most likely a problem stemming at KWWL. Their power has been lower for a couple of months now with several complaints abou treception on OTA. I've also noticed quite a bit of pixelization on the QAM channel of theirs lately. I belive this occurred a few months ago and it was an equipment problem.

I sent an email earlier today to KWWL to try and get some answers but have heard nothing back from them yet.
post #909 of 4956 Old 01-31-2007, 08:06 AM

Not to confuse the issues, but I'm in NE CR and KWWL 7.1 OTA has been fantastic. 7.2 and 7.3 (Weather Plus and Tube) have been almost unwatchable. However, watching KWWL HD on Mediacom has been pretty touch and go, so maybe it's a Mediacom issue???
post #910 of 4956 Old 01-31-2007, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLM507WFan View Post

watching KWWL HD on Mediacom has been pretty touch and go, so maybe it's a Mediacom issue???

Yes, I was wondering the same thing. Last Saturday nite portions of SNL were totally pixelated to where you could not watch any of it, and again on Monday nite during parts of Leno. What is strange was that during these breakups, the audio was fine but the video was messed badly. I tried to rewind the dvr back to where the video was good, but it wouldn't let me go back. I should have had a 1/2 hour in the buffer, but I couldn't rewind at all. Definitely something strange going on here with KWWL HD.

HD since '03
post #911 of 4956 Old 01-31-2007, 08:49 AM

Liked: 11
Monday night on mediacom just b4 8pm kwwl went to crap, as indicated by the arrow.
LL

HD since Sept 2005
post #912 of 4956 Old 01-31-2007, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowahawkeye View Post

Monday night on mediacom just b4 8pm kwwl went to crap, as indicated by the arrow.

That's not Mediacom -- it's over-the-air reception, as measured by the CFU cable system in Cedar Falls.

It does indicate a problem, though, especially since it's a cable system which should have fairly good antennas to work with.

Views are strictly my own unless otherwise noted.
"ItÂs looking more like Y2K than the Bay of Pigs." - FCC Commissioner Adelstein, 6-13-09, on the DTV switch
post #913 of 4956 Old 01-31-2007, 08:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Medium on KWWL was aboslutely unwatchable on Mediacom QAM tonight.

I was able to steer the rotor around good enough to get their now much weaker signal OTA. The A/V was fine on OTA, although very tough to pull in.

IIRC, there was some sort of equipment problem a couple of months ago on KWWLs end dealing with the fiber feed to Mediacom that caused the same type problems.

Only problem now is that Dick has not responded to the email I sent. Perhaps a check of their web site will yield a more generic email for the engineers. Who knows, Dick may be out of town or something.

All's I know is that KWWL is practically unusable at this time.
post #914 of 4956 Old 01-31-2007, 08:32 PM

Does anyone know for sure whether or not Mediacom trap blocks the HD locals? I'm thinking about switching to Dish and keeping Mediacom HSI and wondered if I could get the locals still.
post #915 of 4956 Old 01-31-2007, 09:44 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm not 100% sure, but my understanding is that they do not/can not block the digital QAM signals and even with HSI, they are still on the line.

I have the extreme basic cable and it works fine. I think it would also as long as the line is physically connected, which obviouslt it would be with HSI.
post #916 of 4956 Old 02-01-2007, 07:53 AM

hdtvincr,

Sorry, I didn't know you had already sent something to him, so I sent one last night, and I did get a reply back from Dick this morning:

"We are having exciter problems with our Digital transmitter. The manufacturer rep will be in Friday to check out the exciter and, hopefully, get us back up in power.

Regards,
Dick Owens"

Lets keep our fingers crossed.
post #917 of 4956 Old 02-01-2007, 08:26 AM

I finally did actually get a reply from when I submitted a complaint on the FCC web site, of course we now know nothing came about from their "encouragement" for binding arbitration, but at least someone there took the time to reply to me:

Dear Consumer,

Thank you for contacting the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) regarding the
carriage of local broadcast television stations owned and operated by the Sinclair
Broadcast Group (Sinclair) on several cable television systems operated by Mediacom
Corporation (Mediacom). On January 4, 2007, the FCCs Media Bureau issued a Memorandum
Opinion and Order on this issue. In this Order, the FCC recognized the cost borne by
consumers who would lose their signal when Mediacom and Sinclair did not reach an
agreement. The FCC also strongly encouraged the two parties to engage in binding
arbitration to resolve the carriage issue.

Again, thank you for contacting us about this important issue. Your views and comments
are important to us.

The Federal Communications Commission
post #918 of 4956 Old 02-01-2007, 09:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsduke View Post

Does anyone know for sure whether or not Mediacom trap blocks the HD locals? I'm thinking about switching to Dish and keeping Mediacom HSI and wondered if I could get the locals still.

I don't think they can block the QAM, but they can probably still block 2-23.

I'm not sure what the deal is now, but I know that, at one time, you got a $10 discount on your HSI if you also had some form of video cable at any price point. The Basic-basic cable package used to be $10, so it was a wash one way or t'other. It's up to about 12 bucks a month now, but if the discount still applies, then I would keep 2-22 even if you got satellite, if for no other reason than it guarantees QAM and you can get a few local non-satellite things if you're still interested, such as UITV, etc.
post #919 of 4956 Old 02-01-2007, 09:34 AM

Does anyone have an idea if KWKB-DT is full power yet? http://svartifoss2.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/w...&fac_num=35096 seems to indicate that they are.
post #920 of 4956 Old 02-01-2007, 10:29 AM

I got a reply back from Dick at KWWL today too! Hopefully their transmitter problems well be over soon!

Quote:

Sorry for the late reply. I've been out of the office.

We are having problems with our digital transmitter and we are presently
running reduced power. A transmitter manufacturer rep will be on site
tomorrow to check out and repair the transmitter. Hopefully by tomorrow
our signal will be back to normal.

Thanks for you e-mail.

Regards,

Dick Owens
Chief Engineer
KWWL Television, Inc.
500 East Fourth Street
Waterloo, IA 50703
319-291-1200

post #921 of 4956 Old 02-01-2007, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks... And to add to that, my reply from Dick stated that he was not aware of any issues with the Mediacom fiber feed, but would contact them about it.
post #922 of 4956 Old 02-01-2007, 03:28 PM
SDL

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivorygate View Post

I finally did actually get a reply from when I submitted a complaint on the FCC web site, of course we now know nothing came about from their "encouragement" for binding arbitration, but at least someone there took the time to reply to me:

Dear Consumer,

Thank you for contacting the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) regarding the
carriage of local broadcast television stations owned and operated by the Sinclair
Broadcast Group (Sinclair) on several cable television systems operated by Mediacom
Corporation (Mediacom). On January 4, 2007, the FCCs Media Bureau issued a Memorandum
Opinion and Order on this issue. In this Order, the FCC recognized the cost borne by
consumers who would lose their signal when Mediacom and Sinclair did not reach an
agreement. The FCC also strongly encouraged the two parties to engage in binding
arbitration to resolve the carriage issue.

Again, thank you for contacting us about this important issue. Your views and comments
are important to us.

The Federal Communications Commission

Apparently, the Senate's Committee on Commerce, Science, and Transportation wrote a letter to the FCC on Wednesday about the dispute (see www.befairsinclair.com for the complete text). The committee believes that the FCC has the authority to require binding arbitration in this case. Whether the FCC will act to resolve this remains to be seen.

SDL
post #923 of 4956 Old 02-01-2007, 05:11 PM

No Office tonight in HD. That ruins my week.
post #924 of 4956 Old 02-01-2007, 08:16 PM

Hey guys, a couple of questions for CFU users out there....

I am sure this has been covered somewhere, but I looked through about 13 pages of this thread and couldn't find any solid information. Here goes...

I recently ordered my dad a Sony Bravia KDL-46S2010. I'm in Ames and cannot help him with setup, but I want him to be able to watch the game on Sunday in HD. Most of what I've read says the unit has a QAM capabilities....but what does he need, specifically, to get to the HD channels? He has done auto program on both analog and digital, and he claims that there are a bunch of music channels available, but no television in HD. All of the regular channels work fine. He does not have digital cable or anything, just basic plus and HBO.

Is there anything I can do to help him over the phone? Thanks for the help!
post #925 of 4956 Old 02-01-2007, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slyk View Post

Hey guys, a couple of questions for CFU users out there....

I am sure this has been covered somewhere, but I looked through about 13 pages of this thread and couldn't find any solid information. Here goes...

I recently ordered my dad a Sony Bravia KDL-46S2010. I'm in Ames and cannot help him with setup, but I want him to be able to watch the game on Sunday in HD. Most of what I've read says the unit has a QAM capabilities....but what does he need, specifically, to get to the HD channels? He has done auto program on both analog and digital, and he claims that there are a bunch of music channels available, but no television in HD. All of the regular channels work fine. He does not have digital cable or anything, just basic plus and HBO.

Is there anything I can do to help him over the phone? Thanks for the help!

I'm a CFU user

As long as the TV has a QAM tuner, then you should be able to get the HD programming. Look in the 100's for the programming - I'll try to put together a complete list of our in-the-clear QAM channels tomorrow and post it here.
post #926 of 4956 Old 02-02-2007, 11:15 AM

Looks like KWWL DT is back to full power http://www.cfu.net/CyberNet/HD/index.php?station=kwwl
LL

HD since Sept 2005
post #927 of 4956 Old 02-02-2007, 12:24 PM

Quote:

Looks like KWWL DT is back to full power http://www.cfu.net/CyberNet/HD/index.php?station=kwwl

Glad I could help out
post #928 of 4956 Old 02-02-2007, 02:32 PM

Quote:

We are not quite up to full power yet. Presently we are running about 83%. The exciter modulator has been tweeked by the Thales service tech to lower the S/N so we should be more reliable OTA.
We have a bad oscillator unit which has been dying a slow death the past month or so. Parts are due in tomorrow. We will have the transmitter down during the afternoon to do the repairs.

Dick Owens, W4RNO

post #929 of 4956 Old 02-02-2007, 03:55 PM
AVS Special Member

About time:

Mediacom Reaches Retransmission Consent Agreement with Sinclair; Broadcast Stations Immediately Restored
MIDDLETOWN, N.Y.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Feb. 2, 2007--MEDIACOM COMMUNICATIONS CORPORATION (NASDAQ: MCCC) announced that it has reached a retransmission consent agreement with Sinclair Broadcast Group, Inc. The following stations will be immediately restored on the Mediacom cable systems in 12 states:

Des Moines/Ames (KDSM-FOX), Cedar Rapids (KGAN-CBS), Mobile-Pensacola (WEAR-ABC/WFGX-MNT), Peoria/Bloomington (WYZZ-FOX), Greenville/Spartanburg/Asheville (WLOS-ABC/WMYA-MNT), Lexington (WDKY-FOX), Madison (WMSN-FOX), Nashville (WZTV-FOX/ WUXP-MNT/WNAB-CW), Minneapolis (WUCW-CW), Paducah/Cape Girardeau (KBSI-FOX/WDKA-MNT), Springfield/Champaign/Decatur (WICS-ABC/WICD-ABC), St. Louis (KDNL-ABC), Tallahassee (WTWC-NBC), Birmingham (WTTO-CW/WABM-MNT), Norfolk (WTVZ-MNT) and Milwaukee (WCGV-MNT/WVTV-CW).

Mediacom Communications is the nation's 8th largest cable television company and one of the leading cable operators focused on serving the smaller cities and towns in the United States. Mediacom Communications offers a wide array of broadband products and services, including traditional video services, digital television, video-on-demand, digital video recorders, high-definition television, high-speed Internet access and phone service.

Media Relations:
Thomas Larsen
Vice President, Legal Affairs
845-695-2754
Or
Investor Relations:
Matt Derdeyn
Group Vice President, Corporate Finance and Treasurer
845-695-2612

SOURCE: Mediacom Communications Corporation

I can confirm that KGAN is back on in the Waterloo area on Mediacom.
post #930 of 4956 Old 02-02-2007, 04:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Ditto for CR Mediacom!!!!!

I figured at a minimum that there would be a temporary agreement once that letter from Congress was sent to the FCC! Our letters to our reps helped!

I haven't checked yet, but do not expect that they have the HD feed yet... Who knows, maybe I'll be surprised.
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page