Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 4956 Old 02-08-2007, 07:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Randy,

@ CFU, we use Wegener DTV700 and DTV701 signal processors. KGAN is the only one that we have had any audio issues with. We are not rate-shaping the DTV 8VSB transport stream at all. We are passing .1 and .2 streams along with PSIP.

Some of our audio dropouts may be DCT related and we are working with Moto/HITS to see if there is a firmware upgrade available - however the audio lip sync issues are not a DCT issue.

I just checked .1 and to my untrained ear - the changes you made have made a measurable improvement in the audio quality! Thanks a bunch Randy...
post #993 of 4956 Old 02-09-2007, 05:34 AM

Liked: 11
KGAN audio this morning via mediacom dct 6208 box AND qam are both out this am. Audio has a high pitched buzz and what audio you can hear cuts in /out. There was also 5-7 dropouts during CSI last night. Don't know if this is a mediacom or kgan issue. Anybody else notice this? The lip-sinc issue is much improved.

HD since Sept 2005
post #994 of 4956 Old 02-09-2007, 06:43 AM

The 5.1 Dolby surrond sound encorder went bazzurk again this morning. That what caused that high pitched buzz. Reset fixed the problem 8:15 am

Regards,
Randy Schildmeyer
post #995 of 4956 Old 02-09-2007, 07:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowahawkeye View Post

KGAN audio this morning via mediacom dct 6208 box AND qam are both out this am. Audio has a high pitched buzz and what audio you can hear cuts in /out. There was also 5-7 dropouts during CSI last night. Don't know if this is a mediacom or kgan issue. Anybody else notice this? The lip-sinc issue is much improved.

CSI sounded fine last night with no audio dropouts here in Waterloo. This was through Mediacom on KGAN-DT channel 802. I have the Motorola 6412 DVR.

I gotta say it's really nice to finally have CBS in HD via Mediacom! I can now record my favorites in HD when I'm at work.
post #996 of 4956 Old 02-09-2007, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Rain View Post

CSI sounded fine last night with no audio dropouts here in Waterloo. This was through Mediacom on KGAN-DT channel 802. I have the Motorola 6412 DVR.

Must be a feed problem (channel 802) to the Iowa City headend. I'll see what it's like this weekend.

HD since Sept 2005
post #997 of 4956 Old 02-09-2007, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rschildmeyer View Post

The 5.1 Dolby surrond sound encorder went bazzurk again this morning. That what caused that high pitched buzz. Reset fixed the problem 8:15 am

Regards,
Randy Schildmeyer

Thanks for the quick reply.

HD since Sept 2005
post #998 of 4956 Old 02-11-2007, 10:16 AM
SDL

Quote:

Must be a feed problem (channel 802) to the Iowa City headend. I'll see what it's like this weekend.

I'm in Solon, and I was getting brief (2-3 sec.) audio dropouts every few minutes watching Mediacom 802 this morning (Sunday).

SDL
post #999 of 4956 Old 02-11-2007, 03:04 PM

Here we go again... Kwwl DT is unwatchable... Dick, What's up???
post #1000 of 4956 Old 02-11-2007, 06:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Randy Schildmeyer - my heartfelt congratulations and thanks. May you keep up the good work for as long as you wish to stay at KGAN. Watching the Grammys - afaic, you have the lip-synch nailed. Just finished watching John Mayer tear it up - I'm a guitarist - so while lips, etc may be difficult to tell if it is correct or not, I watched his fingers - between you, the cameras, and the CBS mixing people, it looked dead on. Now I can quit analyzing, and just enjoy it.

THANKS.

Jon

Denon DVP - everyone else loves it.
post #1001 of 4956 Old 02-11-2007, 06:59 PM

KGAN still has audio dropouts (during Grammy's) via Mediacom on channel 802 and also via Mediacom QAM.

HD since Sept 2005
post #1002 of 4956 Old 02-11-2007, 07:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Good up in CF - cfu QAM. don't want to check ota - since I'd be going from big system to little lcd - but if qam is ok, then CFU is getting it ota ok. (I would think)

Jon

Denon DVP - everyone else loves it.
post #1003 of 4956 Old 02-12-2007, 07:24 AM

Quote:

KGAN still has audio dropouts (during Grammy's) via Mediacom on channel 802 and also via Mediacom QAM.

IMHO, it must be some sort of Mediacom issue -- the Grammys OTA were fantastic -- probably the best HD broadcast I've seen on KGAN.
post #1004 of 4956 Old 02-12-2007, 06:25 PM
Advanced Member

A few dropouts on QAM and OTA tonight, until things went completely FUBAR during 2 1/2 Men. It was either HD picture and 2.0 audio, SD picture with Digital audio. Or both, with a FULL 1-2 second delay in the audio.

So, I REALLY hope something broke on its own tonight. I REALLY hope that this didn't happen because someone was trying to "tweak" something during PrimeTime programming...

What was the deal tonight?
post #1005 of 4956 Old 02-13-2007, 06:51 AM

Looks like KWWL got "tweaked/upgraded again yesterday (2/12 @3:30pm)
http://www.cfu.net/CyberNet/HD/index.php?station=kwwl

As for KGAN....I'm calling Mediacom. Not only are there audio dropouts, but some of them pixilated the video also last night.

Just talked with Mediacom. The dropouts on KGAN 802 and via Mediacom QAM in Iowa City are a known issue.....with no eta. "There working on it as we speak"....Yea-right....in a snowstorm.

HD since Sept 2005
post #1006 of 4956 Old 02-13-2007, 06:19 PM

How are some of you grounding your rooftop antennas. I had a retailer install one today and noticed there is not ground.

How has KWWL been for everone. I' getting a signal in the low 70's. I can't keep a good lock. Either I need a preamp or the antenna needs to be turned more to the east.
post #1007 of 4956 Old 02-14-2007, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsduke View Post

How are some of you grounding your rooftop antennas. I had a retailer install one today and noticed there is not ground.

You would need a 10ga wire from the mast/tripod to a 4' ground rod placed at least 4' out from the roof overhang (you want the rod in moist soil). you should also have a ground block on the cable just b4 it enters the home also.

HD since Sept 2005
post #1008 of 4956 Old 02-14-2007, 06:41 AM

Thanks.

The retailer that hooked up my dish and ota antenna didn't ground either one of them. No ground block for either and no ground wire for the ota antenna. What is being protected with these grounds.
post #1009 of 4956 Old 02-14-2007, 08:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsduke View Post

Thanks.

The retailer that hooked up my dish and ota antenna didn't ground either one of them. No ground block for either and no ground wire for the ota antenna. What is being protected with these grounds.

Your house, the dish, and the antenna. And they're being protected from lightning strikes which would then a) destroy the equipment, b) destroy whatever they're connected to, and c) probably start your roof and/or attic on fire.

Who did the install? I want to make sure that I stay as far away from that company/installer as possible if I ever need anything hooked up.

Isn't a licensed installer supposed to ground things? Isn't there a building code about it or something?
post #1010 of 4956 Old 02-15-2007, 06:29 AM
uhf

Quote:
Originally Posted by CR_Client View Post

Isn't a licensed installer supposed to ground things? Isn't there a building code about it or something?

National Electric Code requires grounding of TV antennas. I don't know of any jurisdictions that haven't adopted NEC as a local code, although sometimes they are a version or two behind, but the code for grounding antennas has been in there for a long time.

The comments and opinions expressed in my posts are strictly my own and are not necessarily those of my employer or anyone else.
post #1011 of 4956 Old 02-15-2007, 09:44 AM
Advanced Member

Just wanted to report that last night, in the 5 minutes before "Criminal Minds" started (at 8 PM Central), there was almost NO center-channel signal on my 5.1 system during the end of the previous show, and the commercials and previews that followed.

During Criminal Minds, OTA, there were intermittent dropouts in the audio. When this normally happens on QAM, there is also pixelization in the video, and I can see my Audio receiver drop out of 5.1 and back into 5.1. During the audio dropouts OTA, the video did not stutter, and my audio receiver did not hiccup at all.

I'm wondering if people had pixelization and audio dropouts on QAM at the same time as the audio droputs OTA. That would point to an issue at KGAN rather than Mediacom, IMHO.

Still curious as to what happened during the fiasco on Monday night...
post #1012 of 4956 Old 02-15-2007, 11:40 AM
Advanced Member

I just got an hdtv with reciever so I can now get ota signals. I hooked up a small set of rabbit ears and got a few stations. Thinking of getting a roof antenna and wanted to know what networks and or stations can we get ota in CR?

PS I saw the fact but was not sure what networks were involved like wgn?
post #1013 of 4956 Old 02-15-2007, 01:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teisco View Post

I just got an hdtv with reciever so I can now get ota signals. I hooked up a small set of rabbit ears and got a few stations. Thinking of getting a roof antenna and wanted to know what networks and or stations can we get ota in CR?

PS I saw the fact but was not sure what networks were involved like wgn?

www.antennaweb.org

That will show you what kind of antenna, etc. you need at your location, and where to point to get a signal.

If you can pull WGN OTA, then more power to ya. I think you would need some pretty favorable atmospheric conditions and a pretty tall and powerful antenna to get it, though, considering Chicago is ~250 miles away...
post #1014 of 4956 Old 02-15-2007, 04:45 PM
Advanced Member

I was really hoping to get wgn but I can see the problem.
I guess what I need to find out is what are guys in cr using for an antenna and what are they getting. I was at rat shack today looking and they had the big fold out outdoor antenna and some smaller round types. I am going to put it in the atic so room is not a factor.
post #1015 of 4956 Old 02-15-2007, 05:14 PM

I recommend against the rat shack models.

Go Channel Master or Winegard.

I have the Winegard HD7080P with no preamp and I get all the majors at almost 90% and above out of Waterloo.
post #1016 of 4956 Old 02-16-2007, 07:04 AM
Advanced Member

I wouldn't necessarily dismiss the Radio Shack antennas so out-of-hand.

I have the "B-2 Bomber"-looking model in my attic and got it on sale for 33% off MSRP last year. It's powered, with a remote power injector. I get 90% signal on all locals with the antenna in the attic of my single-story house, under 6 layers of shingles with 80+ year-old trees and a huge hill (the Daniels Park hill) within a block of my home between me and the broadcasts.

Using their cheapo U-75R (UHF Only, total after tax under $30), I get the same signal quality in the same location for half of what I paid for the B2 Bomber, without any amps.

You may not think that space is an issue, but if you go with a large yagi-style antenna (the fold-out style you mentioned), it will be very directional, and you'll likely need a rotor. Those antennas, at almost 8 feet, have a pretty big sweep radius.

If you have the time and patience and money (none of which were things I had the week before the SuperBowl), you can go with one of the CM panel-style antennas, which work rather well. They're a bit taller, which might be an issue in an attic, but they have a much smaller sweep radius on a rotor. You usually have to order them online, though.

If you're going to go the Radio Shack route, I recommend the Lindale Crossing store (by Bed, Bath, Beyond) first, and then the Westdale store. The Lindale Mall location is worthless, IMNSHO -- rude and less-than-knowledgeable employees every time I've tried to work with them.
post #1017 of 4956 Old 02-16-2007, 07:22 AM

Has anyone tried the Wineguard Squareshooter from MidState in Hiawatha? $80 but mounts like a dish and about the same size 16"x16". They have one on the floor (eye level) pointed straight West and get all the OTA channels.
post #1018 of 4956 Old 02-16-2007, 07:29 AM
AVS Special Member

You can search the forums for more info, but from what I hear the Squareshooter isn't that great. Of course ANY antenna will "get all the OTA channels" if they are located in a conveniant location to the antenna farms. I think MidState would fall under that category.

If you are located similarly in a good location, then I'm sure it would work just fine for you. I also would bet that rabbitt ears would do dang near just as good....
post #1019 of 4956 Old 02-16-2007, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenewell View Post

Has anyone tried the Wineguard Squareshooter from MidState in Hiawatha? $80 but mounts like a dish and about the same size 16"x16". They have one on the floor (eye level) pointed straight West and get all the OTA channels.

I have the Squareshooter and it works really well here in Fairfax (except my ongoing problems pulling in KWWL). I get all channels at 90+, but cannot reliably pull in KWWL. BUT... this has been the case with all antennas I've tried, not just the SS. Doesn't make much sense.
post #1020 of 4956 Old 02-16-2007, 08:03 AM
Advanced Member

I can get KWWL digital on rabit ears in NW CR (not that far from you)
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page