Cedar Rapids, IA - HDTV - Page 4 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews > HDTV > Local HDTV Info and Reception > Cedar Rapids, IA - HDTV

Local HDTV Info and Reception

tsduke's Avatar tsduke
05:42 PM Liked: 11
post #91 of 4963
03-26-2006 | Posts: 333
Two weekends in a row with no KCRG-DT! My wife isn't going to like hearing Desperate Housewives won't be in HD again.
DLPDA's Avatar DLPDA
06:41 PM Liked: 11
post #92 of 4963
03-26-2006 | Posts: 135
KCRG-DT is back on the air as of 7:15pm

Here's an update from their web site:

Quote:

KCRG's Digital Television signal has been restored as of 7:15pm Sunday evening.

It appears that a major power fault issue with our digital transmitter on Saturday evening knocked us off the air. KCRG's Engineers worked through the day Sunday, including driving 8 hours to get replacement parts from our transmitter manufacturer in Illinois before resolving the problem.

We're hopeful that the replacement parts will fix the power fault issue. As of 7:15pm tonight the digital signal is back on the air.

Again, thanks for your understanding as we worked to fix this problem as quickly as possible.

Sounds like they went above and beyond to make sure the signal was back on for prime-time. Thanks Kirk-TV and KCRG!
flyingvee's Avatar flyingvee
08:58 PM Liked: 10
post #93 of 4963
03-26-2006 | Posts: 3,255
Yup, a lot of extra work just for Desperate Housewives....
tsduke's Avatar tsduke
05:27 AM Liked: 11
post #94 of 4963
03-28-2006 | Posts: 333
KWWL-DT was freezing up during Deal or No Deal last night. It's not even in HD. I wish KWWL and Mediacom would take this seriously and fix it.

With Mediacom all I can get a hold of is a customer service rep, which is a waste of time. I've had email contact with the engineer at KWWL and all he ever says that it's fine on CFU cable and that he's forwarded my email to the head end tech at Mediacom.
bierboy's Avatar bierboy
05:58 AM Liked: 12
post #95 of 4963
03-28-2006 | Posts: 2,253
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsduke View Post

KWWL-DT was freezing up during Deal or No Deal last night. It's not even in HD....

The network does not broadcast that show in HD.
tsduke's Avatar tsduke
06:03 AM Liked: 11
post #96 of 4963
Quote:
Originally Posted by bierboy View Post

The network does not broadcast that show in HD.

I know it's not an HD program. I'm just pointing out that the issue some of us are having with KWWL-DT is happening with SD programs as well as HD programs.
hdtvincr's Avatar hdtvincr
06:29 AM Liked: 10
post #97 of 4963
03-28-2006 | Posts: 1,863
For what it is worth, KWWL was screwed up big time last night in CR as well.

On another note, as of 7:25am, KWWL & KRIN are not showing any signals on Mediacom. KCRG & KFXA are strong but apparently encrypted. I haven't re-scanned to see if perhaps they change channel assignments.

I hope they are just working on things and this is not permanent.
Wayner3's Avatar Wayner3
06:52 AM Liked: 10
post #98 of 4963
03-28-2006 | Posts: 147
It's probably not an KWWL issue. i was watching Deal last night in Cedar Rapids via OTA and saw no problems with the show, so it is probably Mediacom.
nick-g's Avatar nick-g
07:48 AM Liked: 10
post #99 of 4963
03-28-2006 | Posts: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtvincr View Post

For what it is worth, KWWL was screwed up big time last night in CR as well.

On another note, as of 7:25am, KWWL & KRIN are not showing any signals on Mediacom. KCRG & KFXA are strong but apparently encrypted. I haven't re-scanned to see if perhaps they change channel assignments.

I hope they are just working on things and this is not permanent.

In IC this morning my digital channels from PBS, ABC, NBC, and Fox are all missing. This is through Mediacom, does anyone know if they've moved the channels around or something?
tsduke's Avatar tsduke
08:24 AM Liked: 11
post #100 of 4963
Missing?

Are the channels not there or are they there and nothing is on it?

I'm not home or I would look also.
08:28 AM Liked: 10
post #101 of 4963
I rescanned and found none of them, at all. Let's hope they are chasing down the gremlins that's been causing them problems and it will be back up for primetime.

I believe on 115(QAM), it said signal could not be decoded. TsReader shows no PSIP information. On 114(QAM), it showed no signal.
01:19 PM Liked: 10
post #102 of 4963
Looks like KCRG (OTA) is down again as of 2:15 anyways.

28.1, 7.2, 7.3, & 32.1 appear to be back to normal on Mediacom. Still no 7.1 or 9.1, but it is down so that probably explains that.
dline's Avatar dline
01:45 PM Liked: 10
post #103 of 4963
03-28-2006 | Posts: 2,113
FYI:

According to the Raycom Media website, Raycom has reached a deal to sell 12 of its stations to Barrington Broadcasting Corp. of Hoffman Estates, IL.

KWWL is not among the stations listed, but KTVO (Kirksville/Ottumwa) is.

Barrington already reaches part of Iowa through CBS affiliate KHQA, Hannibal-Quincy-Keokuk. Other stations they own nearby include WHOI in Peoria and KRCG (not a typo) in the Columbia-Jefferson City, MO market.

Not sure where this leaves KWWL. Hopefully they end up with someone who respects them.
dline's Avatar dline
04:06 PM Liked: 10
post #104 of 4963
03-28-2006 | Posts: 2,113
I'm getting KCRG-DT again.
smokinjoe's Avatar smokinjoe
09:08 PM Liked: 10
post #105 of 4963
03-28-2006 | Posts: 45
Could not watch Boston Legal tonight in HD as the video was very choppy. I am receiving OTA. Anybody else having the same problem? I did not watch earlier tonight so don't know if the problem occured all night, but also had the same problem Sunday with Desperate Housewives. Is there a problem with KCRG video these days? (The audio has been fine)

Thanks,

smokinjoe
dline's Avatar dline
05:48 PM Liked: 10
post #106 of 4963
03-29-2006 | Posts: 2,113
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post

Could not watch Boston Legal tonight in HD as the video was very choppy. I am receiving OTA. Anybody else having the same problem? I did not watch earlier tonight so don't know if the problem occured all night, but also had the same problem Sunday with Desperate Housewives. Is there a problem with KCRG video these days? (The audio has been fine)

Thanks,

smokinjoe

Unfortunately "BL" is one of those shows my schedule doesn't allow me to watch live, which is the only way I can watch it in true HD at home since I don't have an HD recorder. However, I recorded BL from KCRG-DT (downconverted for my SD recorder) last night, watched most of it this afternoon, and didn't see any problem.

Don't know about "DH". I left to see a live band before KCRG-DT returned to air, so I recorded that from analog as a precaution.

As you probably know, KCRG changed its signal last week by adding a subchannel, currently 24-hour radar. Depending on your receiver you might want to try a rescan and see if you're still having trouble. My Samsung SIR-T351 OTA receiver handled KCRG, KWWL, KRIN and KFXA fine when they added subchannels or otherwise changed their signals, but I've heard some boxes and receivers don't handle changes very well.
tsduke's Avatar tsduke
06:12 PM Liked: 11
post #107 of 4963
03-29-2006 | Posts: 333
Deal is freezing again tonight on KWWL through Mediacom in Waterloo. I wish I could figure out how to get in direct contact with engineers or techs at Mediacom in Waterloo.
bierboy's Avatar bierboy
08:46 PM Liked: 12
post #108 of 4963
03-29-2006 | Posts: 2,253
Quote:

Thanks,

smokinjoe

It was fine on OTA from WQAD in the Quad-Cities, so I gotta figure it was your local station.
DLPDA's Avatar DLPDA
07:21 AM Liked: 11
post #109 of 4963
03-30-2006 | Posts: 135
Quote:

I haven't noticed any choppy video from KCRG (OTA) over the last few days from either of my receivers (HD-Tivo, Samsung TS-160).

I had someone mention to me that they noticed the same sort of problems last night during Lost and The Evidence.

Might be helpful (to other forum members and Station Engineers) for us to always mention our receiver brand/model when discusing reception issues so it's easier to pinpoint if it might be a problem with the way certain receivers are processing the signal or wide spread with the signal itself.

Is anyone else experiencing OTA reception issues? If so, what are you seeing? When? What equipment are you using?
09:08 AM Liked: 10
post #110 of 4963
03-30-2006 | Posts: 1,863
Tuesday night I had failed recordings for "Sons & Daughters" on MyHD card. I assumed it was due to KCRG's problems. Last nights "Lost" was just fine recording with no glitches seen.
dline's Avatar dline
11:07 AM Liked: 10
post #111 of 4963
03-30-2006 | Posts: 2,113
FYI:

KWWL just announced on its noon news that they are being sold to Quincy Newspapers, Inc., of Quincy, IL.

The company owns NBC affiliates in the Quincy-Hannibal-Keokuk, Sioux City, and Rochester, MN markets, as well as ABC affiliates in the Wisconsin cities of Madison, La Crosse, Eau Claire, Wausau and Eagle River.

A link to the press release from QNI is here.
dline's Avatar dline
11:35 AM Liked: 10
post #112 of 4963
03-30-2006 | Posts: 2,113
For those of you wondering how they're doing on the HD front, here's a list of QNI's existing stations. The cities listed will link you to the local discussion thread for that market, as listed in the AVS index. (Note: some markets are combined with other nearby ones, and Quincy, IL didn't have a thread when I compiled this.)

- #85 Madison, WI: WKOW (ABC)

- #87 South Bend, IN: WSJV (Fox)

- #123 La Crosse-Eau Claire, WI: WXOW (ABC La Crosse), WQOW (ABC Eau Claire)

- #133 Rockford, IL: WREX (NBC)

- #134 Wausau, WI: WAOW (ABC Wausau), WYOW (ABC Eagle River)

- #143 Sioux City, IA: KTIV (NBC)

- #149 Bluefield-Beckley-Oak Hill, WV: WVVA (NBC) (Note: there are only two posts in the thread, including the one CPanther95 used to open it. CPanther notes in that post that there's no HD in the market, but according to the TitanTV listing on wvva.com, they are doing HD.)

- #152 Rochester-Mason City-Austin: KTTC (NBC), KXLT (Fox, operated under a local marketing agreement).

- #169 Quincy-Hannibal-Keokuk (no local thread): WGEM (NBC), CGEM (Fox, originally cable-only, now a WGEM subchannel as well.)

We're Nielsen market #88, so we'd be their third biggest market.
09:18 PM Liked: 10
post #113 of 4963
03-31-2006 | Posts: 3,255
thanks for the list dline; if we're their #3 market, maybe they'll treat us with a little respect (what's the correct sign for I hope?)

on a different topic - just a note to Jerry, and whoever replaced him - happened upon the TUBE on my 30" HD Crt tonight - kudos to you. I am amazed at how good the Tube looks on a small screen - immenintly watchable and enjoyable. Sorry, but all previous comments on the marginal quality were based on how poor it looked on the big setup - the lack of bits is much more apparent when the picture is trying to be 10' wide. Now I'll just have to connect a better sound system to the small tube.
smokinjoe's Avatar smokinjoe
07:45 PM Liked: 10
post #114 of 4963
04-02-2006 | Posts: 45
My Zenith HDV420 tuner exhibits unwatchable choppy video on KCRG for all HD programs. It works fine on all other HD stations. It has been in my system working great on KCRG for a couple years. It seems to have gone south since the 9-2 sub-channel started.

My HDTV Wonder card in my PC does NOT exhibit this problem.

I was just wondering if anybody else with a HDV420 is seeing this problem? I did rescan the channels in the 420, but that did not help.

Any ideas out there?

Thanks,

Smokinjoe
Matrix6028's Avatar Matrix6028
08:22 PM Liked: 10
post #115 of 4963
04-02-2006 | Posts: 1
I have an Mitsubishi WS55511 big screen TV. My receiver is a Sony STR-DA5000ES.
I receive HD over the air broadcasts.
My question is why does my audio portion of the broadcast cut out every minute? (yes, I have timed it, it happens about every minute)

This ONLY happens with KGAN-HD, channel 2.
KCRG (ABC), IPTV(Public TV), KWWL(NBC) and KFXB(FOX) all broadcast locally in HD and I DO NOT have this audio issue with them?!

I have purchased a channel master device to boost my signal, but I still have the same issue with KGAN - channel 2!?

Any ideas what is going on?

(I have viewed the reception in my local Best Buy store and noticed that the audio is NOT cutting out on their TV sets. I know that Mediacom, our local cable company, has NOT offered CBS on their HD receivers - BUT they might be using satellite to get their CBS reception)

Thanks for the help - I can not get answers from any of the local dealers - they are baffled too!
09:19 PM Liked: 10
post #116 of 4963
04-02-2006 | Posts: 1,863
Quote:

My Zenith HDV420 tuner exhibits unwatchable choppy video on KCRG for all HD programs. It works fine on all other HD stations. It has been in my system working great on KCRG for a couple years. It seems to have gone south since the 9-2 sub-channel started.

My HDTV Wonder card in my PC does NOT exhibit this problem.

I was just wondering if anybody else with a HDV420 is seeing this problem? I did rescan the channels in the 420, but that did not help.

Any ideas out there?

Thanks,

Smokinjoe

Housewives was a little choppy at times, but there were storms around. Grey's was just fine. That was thru the MyHD card, though.
tsduke's Avatar tsduke
05:34 AM Liked: 11
post #117 of 4963
04-03-2006 | Posts: 333
Housewives had choppy video and audio on KCRG through Mediacom with STB. Grey's seemed ok.
Jim5051's Avatar Jim5051
08:30 AM Liked: 10
post #118 of 4963
04-03-2006 | Posts: 26
My Zeinth HD420 has been picking up KCRG-DT just fine. The only recent change is that there has been a significant deterioration of the signal in the last few days. Still get a good picture, but signal strength has been about 60% (normally 90-95%). KRIN-DT comes in at almost 100% all of the time. And KGAN-DT is all over the map. During the first semi final game on Saturday, it was 30-60% (cut out several times), but 80-90% during the second game. All three are on the same tower! Go figure.

Incidentally, I have been experiencing sever lip sync problems with KGAN-DT ever since it came on the air. Don't have it with any of the other digital channels.

I am using a CM attic mounted antenna and am about 23 miles from the Walker transmitter. Hope this helps.
11:42 AM Liked: 10
post #119 of 4963
04-03-2006 | Posts: 3,255
fwiw, KGAN has had lipsynch issues since day one. Should they ever FIX the problem, that will be something to post about.

had some pixelization during the game, but figured it was because of the rain. pretty much stopped raining by 2nd game = better picture.
01:11 PM Liked: 10
post #120 of 4963
04-03-2006 | Posts: 1,863
Don't hold your breath. I've given up on KGAN. BY FAR they are at the bottom of the list when it comes to satisfying the customer.

- The ONLY local that thinks stretching is a good thing
- On-going lip-sync issues
- PSIP guide data sucks. I've shown NFL football every Sunday for a while.
- PSIP guide system time wrong
- Gotta put stupid crawls up all the time

etc, etc, etc.... I suppose every market has to have a two-bit operation.

I spoke to the CE many times a while back and understood some of the issues and even started defending them. Well, it's been a LONG time now with these issues that I know he's been told about and nothing happens. So... welcome to the bottom of the heap KGAN.

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

Subscribe to this Thread