Cedar Rapids, IA - HDTV - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 4956 Old 04-15-2006, 06:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
and I see from Joe's chart (and my set) that you just pulled it out/off air for more adjustments. Is it a tower thing - just lost everything else off that tower. (fooled me for a minute - made some changes, to test my LG box, and when I turn it back on, KGAN and KCRG are gone. Thanks for the graphs, Joe, or I would have been worried.)

KFXA is still down - anybody know anything there?

Jon

Denon DVP - everyone else loves it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 4956 Old 04-15-2006, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm redoing my channel scan to get rid of the WHBF, WISC and WKOW signals that my box somehow received -- and still remembers -- after the storm. Around 3 a.m. Friday morning those two Madison stations came in loud and clear, as did WHBF in Rock Island, which keeps its transmitter on the air with its logo over color bars even though it doesn't run anything. (Hey, Coronet Communications, ever heard of CBS Up To The Minute?)

As for stations we "should" be getting:

- KGAN is up at the moment. It appeared that there was a period yesterday in which it wasn't mapping properly, though. If you're still not getting it, try punching in its "actual" channel (51-1) or do a rescan. After you do that, hopefully your tuner remembers where to find channel 2 and it will come up as 2 again.

- KCRG is also up, with its test subchannel 9-2 displaying radar.

- KFXA-DT is off. If you've rescanned, you'll need to check for them on their "actual" channel 27-1, as your box probably forgot where to find it. KFXA analog is on.

- It appears everyone else is normal.

(Information is current as of post time.)

_____

EDIT: If you're into looking for distant stations when the conditions are right, you can look for WKOW-DT on channel 26 and WISC-DT on channel 50. I think WMTV-DT was trying to come in on 19, but didn't quite make it. I've also gotten Rochester, MN NBC on channel 36 in the past.

Views are strictly my own unless otherwise noted.
"ItÂs looking more like Y2K than the Bay of Pigs." - FCC Commissioner Adelstein, 6-13-09, on the DTV switch
post #183 of 4956 Old 04-15-2006, 06:38 PM
AVS Special Member

The big three are back up (as you said.) Still no KFXA-DT; luckily no Nascar tommorrow, so I don't have to explain to my father why the race isn't in HD.

Will be looking for faraway stations after rotor is working; STILL haven't done that. - have a bad case of not fixing if it ain't broken. But for some reason my cable had become too long to get HD off CFU, so I rewired that, and now it is working fine. When things get to the point that I have to move the antenna to get either KWWL or Fox, then it will be time to get off the dime.

Jon

post #184 of 4956 Old 04-15-2006, 08:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by dline View Post

EDIT: If you're into looking for distant stations when the conditions are right, you can look for WKOW-DT on channel 26 and WISC-DT on channel 50. I think WMTV-DT was trying to come in on 19, but didn't quite make it. I've also gotten Rochester, MN NBC on channel 36 in the past.

All those are from Madison, WI...have you or anyone else ever get Des Moines?
And what is your farthest DTV catch?

Farthest from me (I am 60 miles west of Chicago) was Green Bay, WI and Indianapolis, IN.

Gilbert
post #185 of 4956 Old 04-16-2006, 05:39 AM

Must still be adjusting KCRG...solid for 2-3 minutes, then drops for a minute. Tried rotating antenna to solidify, not the issue.

But, nothing for KFXA. Will re-scan shortly just to see if mapping issue.
post #186 of 4956 Old 04-16-2006, 07:02 AM

KCRG will be off the air for most of the day Sunday, we will try to come back online by primetime in a temporary fashion, but the problem won't be repaired completely until later on Monday, at least that is what we are hopeful for. After we made the trip to get parts on Friday we were only able to get one piece of the necessary parts we needed to replace. We were able to make some adjustments to patch the problem and was hoping it would get us through until Monday without issue but unfortunately that wasn't the case.

Thanks for your patience,

KirkTV
post #187 of 4956 Old 04-16-2006, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the headsup, Kirk - we realize (or at least we should) that you have bigger things on your mind than firing up the computer and talking to us. The time you take is appreciated. (Plus, it means we won't be bugging you or the station every 5 minutes - good for everyone.)

Thanks again,

Jon

post #188 of 4956 Old 04-16-2006, 09:55 AM

Now, for KFXA.
post #189 of 4956 Old 04-16-2006, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebenste View Post

All those are from Madison, WI...have you or anyone else ever get Des Moines?
And what is your farthest DTV catch?

Farthest from me (I am 60 miles west of Chicago) was Green Bay, WI and Indianapolis, IN.

Well, one night I left my tuner on Iowa Public Television to tape a show Friday night. They use channel 35. When I woke up next morning, and before IPTV went on the air again (I have really odd hours), my tuner was displaying it as KARE-DT from Minneapolis which also uses channel 35. Too bad I didn't tune in in time to see an actual signal.

Unfortunately most of my building lies between my antenna and the Des Moines stations, but I know somebody who lives in a higher part of town who has gotten them. Most everything I get from skip is north, northeast and occasionally southeast. Pre-DT I got my Fox from Ottumwa (a little grainy, but watchable) because my own Fox analog suffered from severe multipath.

"ItÂs looking more like Y2K than the Bay of Pigs." - FCC Commissioner Adelstein, 6-13-09, on the DTV switch
post #190 of 4956 Old 04-16-2006, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Back in 93, I watched coverage of the DSM flood on the Des Moines stations - 8 and 13, I believe. Snowy, but I was able to watch what happened as in unfolded, in realtime, as opposed to the news bites one gets on local (out of the area) stations. Kinda miss that - analog, you can get something - with digital, is all or nothing, and so far in my case, if it isn't what I am supposed to get, it tends to be nothing.

Jon

post #191 of 4956 Old 04-16-2006, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

CFUJoe - hate to be a bother, but could you please post the link for all your HD graphs? - I know it is buried back in the original thread, but I have lost it. I can access all the individual stations from what you gave us above, but I can't figure out the extension to get all the graphs at once. Thanks - I'll be sure to bookmark it on all my computers, this time.

Jon

post #192 of 4956 Old 04-16-2006, 02:27 PM - Thread Starter

Cedar Falls Utilities' DT Signal Quality Graphs

If anyone else knows of interesting or helpful links I've been trying to post them in the first message of this thread, too.

(Note: Comments and other information in my posts are strictly my opinions only and not those of my employer or their parent company and network.)
post #193 of 4956 Old 04-17-2006, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks kc - I never thought of looking at the top of the thread for info - my duh. Also see where I went wrong in my extrapolation. Dang, but those graphs are nice - tho they are from CFU, they are pretty useful for anyone trying to get HD OTA in the market.

Is there anyone on this board who is remotely connected with KFXA? - would be nice to know when they are thinking of waking up the hamster. World Series is coming soon, not to mention NFL.

Jon

post #194 of 4956 Old 04-17-2006, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Just checked, it looks like KFXA is putting out digital signals again.

(edit: KCRG was up this morning, down now.)

post #195 of 4956 Old 04-17-2006, 06:21 PM

Well we had a menagerie of problems and as soon as we corrected the original problem another smaller one would present itself. We have the replacement parts installed and adjusted to spec and so far it looks pretty stable. Cross your fingers and hopefully no more issues will creep up for awhile at the KCRG site! :-)

Thanks for your patience with all the disruptions,

KirkTV
post #196 of 4956 Old 04-17-2006, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post

Can someone tell me what free HD channels (if any) Mcleod provides? I am subscribed to Mcleod premium cable, but recieve all my HD OTA right now. My question is if I buy a HD TV with a QAM tuner, and connect it to my Mcleod cable, will I get any HD content?

Thanks,

Smokinjoe

Can a Mcleod customer answer this?

Thanks,

Smokinjoe
post #197 of 4956 Old 04-18-2006, 06:35 PM

My parents are McCleod customers in CR and they don't get ANY free HD channels...I couldn't believe it, but I tried to find them myself and had no success.
post #198 of 4956 Old 04-18-2006, 07:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Likewise, tried to show a Waterloo (Mediacom) tv dealer that his QAM tv would pickup cable HD channels - it wouldn't - evidently Mediacom also scrambles ota HD channels. One more reason not to live in Waterloo. (or subscribe to Mediacom)

Jon

post #199 of 4956 Old 04-18-2006, 09:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingvee View Post

Likewise, tried to show a Waterloo (Mediacom) tv dealer that his QAM tv would pickup cable HD channels - it wouldn't - evidently Mediacom also scrambles ota HD channels. One more reason not to live in Waterloo. (or subscribe to Mediacom)

Then why was there a big discussion last week about Mediacom customers in Waterloo & Dubuque not getting KFXA in HD, then it was corrected?
post #200 of 4956 Old 04-19-2006, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

That's really odd, because MediaCrap in the Quad-Cities doesn't scramble them. During the short time I had the Sony DHG unit (with analog cable connected to it) I picked up all the local affiliates' HD offerings that MediaCrap piped through it's cable system...no scrambling at all.

Mediacom Digital Cable and OTA HD
Panny TC-P55GT50 -- Denon AVR-1713 -- TiVo Premiere XL4 -- Sony BDP-S5100 -- SlingBox 350 -- Polk 5.1 Speakers -- Logitech Harmony One
post #201 of 4956 Old 04-19-2006, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

dunno - but was told by the dealer that OTA HD was only available in the pay tier of HD offerings. I do know that a. - in the store, set didn't pick up the otas, and b. - once we got it home, I did a scan, and they all popped up. On cfu, not MC.

I do know that if I was paying Mediacom for HD, I'd be very unhappy if all I got was the SD feed.

Jon

post #202 of 4956 Old 04-19-2006, 12:13 PM

HD signals from Mediacom are unscrambled in Iowa City.
post #203 of 4956 Old 04-19-2006, 03:42 PM

Mediacomm in Dubuque offers: KWWL Tube, NBC WX, KCRG, KCRG Radar, and KFXA unscrambled. And, there is some talk about them offering ESPN HD unscrambled in the near future. I'll have to see that to believe it!!!
post #204 of 4956 Old 04-20-2006, 12:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

dunno - but was told by the dealer that OTA HD was only available in the pay tier of HD offerings. I do know that a. - in the store, set didn't pick up the otas, and b. - once we got it home, I did a scan, and they all popped up. On cfu, not MC.

What condition is the physical cable from Mediacom in?

It's been my understanding that that if the cable itself is in poor condition, even though it may pass a watchable analog signal, it won't necessarily pass a digital one, regardless of whether or not it's encrypted.

In fact, I seem to remember that under the old TCI system in Ames in the late '90s, folks who added the digital cable option actually saw an improvement in their analog signals as well -- not because the analog stations became digital (they didn't), but because the installers had to improve the cable to the home in order for the digital channels to work.

Anyone else have any thoughts?

post #205 of 4956 Old 04-20-2006, 06:06 AM
AVS Special Member

You could have me there - was typical store environment - probably one cable in, and then split 20 ways. If what you are saying is the case, they are missing a bet - being an HD set, it didn't look that hot with stretched SD. OTOH, it looks marvelous with HD feed.

Way OT - if anyone is looking for a large display set, and has room for an old school RPTV, they really should look at the Hitachi CRT units. Got one for the folks, 52", 16x9, point convergence, and a working QAM/cablecard tuner. For the price of a 23" Sony LCD moniter. Yes, they are bloody huge, but wow, Discover HD looks SOOOO good. (-all of you sat people know this already, but my point is, CRT still isn't totally dead. )

Jon

post #206 of 4956 Old 04-20-2006, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

...Way OT - if anyone is looking for a large display set, and has room for an old school RPTV, they really should look at the Hitachi CRT units. Got one for the folks, 52", 16x9, point convergence, and a working QAM/cablecard tuner. For the price of a 23" Sony LCD moniter. Yes, they are bloody huge, but wow, Discover HD looks SOOOO good. (-all of you sat people know this already, but my point is, CRT still isn't totally dead. )

Vee -- I can attest to the quality of the Hitachi RPTVs. I've had the 51UWX20B for three years now (got it as a refurb for under $1K), and it's been spectacular. I've calibrated it myself (not a professional calibration), but it's been great....DVDs in particular, but the OTA HD stuff continues to amaze me. My buddies always rave when they come over for HD sports. I'm a huge hockey fan, so I'm salivating at the playoffs that NBC will be broadcasting in HD. Last week's Saturday afternoon game was in HD on NBC, and it was exhilarating! Yes, they are big and bulky, but, boy do they get the job done.

Mediacom Digital Cable and OTA HD
Panny TC-P55GT50 -- Denon AVR-1713 -- TiVo Premiere XL4 -- Sony BDP-S5100 -- SlingBox 350 -- Polk 5.1 Speakers -- Logitech Harmony One
post #207 of 4956 Old 04-20-2006, 05:40 PM

Is anybody having any trouble getting HD from Mediacom. My dad has a Toshiba 42HP95 plasma and was getting the local HD channels through the QAM tuner. This past week he has been unable to get a video signal, but is getting audio. I have the same tv and live in Coralville and have had no problems. I'm assuming its his tv that is the problem.

Kevin
post #208 of 4956 Old 04-21-2006, 06:22 AM

Kevin, I'm still picking up KWWL, KCRG, KFXA, and PBS through my LG with QAM.

-Rod
post #209 of 4956 Old 04-21-2006, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kps246 View Post

Is anybody having any trouble getting HD from Mediacom. My dad has a Toshiba 42HP95 plasma and was getting the local HD channels through the QAM tuner. This past week he has been unable to get a video signal, but is getting audio. I have the same tv and live in Coralville and have had no problems. I'm assuming its his tv that is the problem.

Kevin

My father-in-law, in Waterloo, has this set and hasn't reported any issues to me. Have you tried to get a cable card from mediacom for this set? They tried 3 or 4 of them on his set and couldn't get any of them to work. He has the latest firmware from Toshiba.
post #210 of 4956 Old 04-22-2006, 04:10 PM

All is good with my dad's tv. I called the local Toshiba dealer and he said to unplug the set for a few minutes and let it reboot itself. I think my dad was messing around in one of the menus and must have hit a reset button by mistake. I think I need to put a parental lock on everyhting but the essential buttons. Thanks for your responses.

Kevin
Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page