Cedar Rapids, IA - HDTV - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4956 Old 03-02-2006, 11:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Welcome to the new thread for eastern Iowa HDTV. This thread covers KWWL-DT, KCRG-DT, KGAN-DT, KFXA-DT, KFPX-DT, KIIN-DT, KWKB-DT, and KRIN-DT. This is a split from the original Eastern Iowa/Quad Cities thread. If you have questions and are new to AVS Forum, please search that thread as your question may have been asked before. Or, feel free to ask it anyway.

Enjoy your stay and welcome to the thread.

Helpful Links:
Cedar Falls Utilities' DT Signal Quality Graphs (http://www.cfu.net/CyberNet/HD/)
Local Mediacom QAM mappings for cable & digital "in the clear" QAM (As seen in Cedar Rapids)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dline View Post

For those of you just joining us, here's a recap of Eastern Iowa HD/DTV issues:

KGAN (2-1, CBS):

Their job of "throwing the switch" to HD has greatly improved. Still some complaints about "stretching" 2-1 during SD upconverted programming. Also, as the Hawkeye basketball station, it often has to tape-delay network programming, but can't do it in HD. The DT station is not currently carried on many cable systems because its owner, Sinclair Broadcast Group, wants payment for HD carriage.

KWWL (7-1, 2 and 3, NBC):

Recently added two subchannels, NBC Weather Plus and Raycom's music channel "The Tube," but they don't seem to get a lot of complaints about the quality of 7-1, which they've vowed to keep up. Their tower is a few miles north of most of the other stations, which occasionally causes issues with some viewers in the southern reaches of the market. For most, it comes in loud and clear.

Although it's been a great performer, Raycom recently announced plans to sell KWWL and several other stations so it can concentrate on its core geographic area, the South.

KCRG (9-1, 2 ABC):

As with KGAN, they often delay network programming for basketball games -- in their case, it's the Cyclone men and Hawkeye women -- but can't timeshift those shows in HD yet. Occasionally the stream has an issue with a few stray pixels, though not so much lately.

(Edit 8-23-06) 9-2 now displays "KCRG Local 9.2".

KIIN (12-1, Iowa Public Television):

Currently broadcasting at low power on a special temporary authority from just north of West Branch. That will change, but for now most of us use KRIN (32-1), which is broadcasting the same thing at higher power from Walker.

KWKB (20-1, The WB):

Their analog is full-power, but their digital is running on a special temporary authority and isn't required to go full power until this summer. (As a WB affiliate they're on a more generous FCC deadline.) As far as I know they're not doing HD at this time. A major issue for KWKB is that they transmit from a tower just north of West Branch in Cedar County, which is southeast of Cedar Rapids and east of Iowa city -- a completely different direction from most other stations.

There's still no official word as to whether KWKB or KWWF will become The CW when UPN and The WB cease operations this fall.

KWWF (22, UPN):

Analog only, and for most viewers outside Waterloo, it's cable-only. If it survives the loss of UPN, it will probably have to "flash-cut" to digital when the transition ends.

KFXA (28-1, Fox):

Like KWKB, their biggest issue for them is location. Their tower is in central Benton County, which is a completely different line of sight from Cedar Rapids than the others. You may have to re-orient your antenna or find a "compromise" location if you're having trouble with them.

KFXA also had some recent PSIP trouble and had been coming up on some receivers as 27-1 or even 27-3 in recent days, but as of today they seem to have fixed those problems. Check your receivers.

KRIN (32-1 and 32-2, Iowa Public Television):

32-1 is currently a full-time HD service, while 32-2 is a full-time SD upconvert of IPTV's analog service. They rarely simulcast each other. They're on the same tower as KCRG and KGAN near Walker, so if you can get any one of those stations, you should be able to get the others.

KPXR (48-1, 2, 3 and 4):

An affiliate of "i" (formerly Pax). Not carrying HD. 48-1 is a simulcast of their analog. 48-2 is like 48-1 but occasionally carries actual programming during times when 48-1 is running infomercials. 48-3 is the "Worship" network, and 48-4 is Faith Television.

One other note: All Eastern Iowa digitals are on UHF for now. When the transition ends, hopefully in early 2009, three of our stations -- KCRG, KWWL and KIIN -- plan to switch back to their VHF channels to broadcast digital. Keep that in mind if you're selecting an antenna for the long term.

Looking for the Quad Cities thread? It's right here.

This thread includes the cities of: Cedar Rapids, Dubuque, Iowa City, and Waterloo, Iowa.

(Note: Comments and other information in my posts are strictly my opinions only and not those of my employer or their parent company and network.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4956 Old 03-03-2006, 06:32 AM

I was just pointed to this board from the Mediacom forum on dslreports. I was told there is an engineer here from KWWL.

Im up here in Dubuque, Ia. It seems that EVERY night at 9:01-ish or so sharp NBC (KWWL) HD freezes for about a minute, then changes to "no signal" and then "not authorized". This is the only station that has problems.
I have a cable card, and I am kind of wondering if this happens to people with DVR's or normal cable box's. Last night it was freezing every couple of minutes.

Im doubting this is a KWWL issue, more of mediacom's fault, but who knows. Just wondering if the cablecard is at fault

Thanks
post #3 of 4956 Old 03-03-2006, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nalek View Post

I was just pointed to this board from the Mediacom forum on dslreports. I was told there is an engineer here from KWWL.

Im up here in Dubuque, Ia. It seems that EVERY night at 9:01-ish or so sharp NBC (KWWL) HD freezes for about a minute, then changes to "no signal" and then "not authorized". This is the only station that has problems.
I have a cable card, and I am kind of wondering if this happens to people with DVR's or normal cable box's. Last night it was freezing every couple of minutes.

Im doubting this is a KWWL issue, more of mediacom's fault, but who knows. Just wondering if the cablecard is at fault

Thanks

First of all, welcome to the thread!

I am not aware of any problems on the Dubuque Mediacom system but I am contacting them today to see what is going on.

By the way, Jerry Rector is no longer at KWWL. He has left for personal reasons. He was always "Johnny on the Spot" in keeping the AVS folks up to date and I will attempt to do the same.

Dick Owens, CE
KWWL/KWWL-DT

Dick Owens, W4RNO

post #4 of 4956 Old 03-03-2006, 06:14 PM

Watching KWWL through Mediacom and Las Vegas isn't in HD. Did someone forget to flip the switch?
-dornitram
post #5 of 4956 Old 03-04-2006, 09:04 AM
uhf

Quote:

[i]For those of you just joining us, here's a recap...

Great recap, dline. I just want to add that KIIN and KWKB are right across the road from each other, so if you aim your antenna towards one, the other will be right there also.

I sure hope the CW goes to KWKB. The folks that own KWWF don't seem to have a clue. They swore to me that they are running 5,000,000W from 2000' when I asked them why I can't get them from 20 miles away. This is certainly not the case at all.

The comments and opinions expressed in my posts are strictly my own and are not necessarily those of my employer or anyone else.
post #6 of 4956 Old 03-04-2006, 10:57 AM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 73
kc0bsn :

Can you keep the info in the first post updated for newbies to the thread?

Added thread to the master index.
post #7 of 4956 Old 03-04-2006, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter

And here I was going to ask dline for permission to quote him in the first post, but I see CPanther already did it. If anybody has suggestings to helpful links, or additions/changes to the master info, reply to the thread or PM me. I don't exactly plan on going anywhere for a while.

(Note: Comments and other information in my posts are strictly my opinions only and not those of my employer or their parent company and network.)
post #8 of 4956 Old 03-04-2006, 11:37 AM

Better to ask for forgiveness, than permission.
post #9 of 4956 Old 03-04-2006, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc0bsn View Post

And here I was going to ask dline for permission to quote him in the first post, but I see CPanther already did it. If anybody has suggestings to helpful links, or additions/changes to the master info, reply to the thread or PM me. I don't exactly plan on going anywhere for a while.

That's OK. In fact, it's good to have it at or near the top. I went ahead and deleted my original post to avoid redundancy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by uhf View Post

I sure hope the CW goes to KWKB. The folks that own KWWF don't seem to have a clue. They swore to me that they are running 5,000,000W from 2000' when I asked them why I can't get them from 20 miles away. This is certainly not the case at all.

It's interesting they should say that, considering the FCC has them (KWWF) with a construction permit for only 3,000,000W and a height above average terrain of only 198 meters -- which if I remember my metrics correctly is only 660 feet. And that's their construction permit. They're obviously not broadcasting with those parameters yet.

(Of course they could save on the electric bill and get better results with just 1,000,000W by going to digital-only now.)

Views are strictly my own unless otherwise noted.
"ItÂs looking more like Y2K than the Bay of Pigs." - FCC Commissioner Adelstein, 6-13-09, on the DTV switch
post #10 of 4956 Old 03-04-2006, 05:53 PM
uhf

Quote:

It's interesting they should say that, considering the FCC has them (KWWF) with a construction permit for only 3,000,000W and a height above average terrain of only 198 meters

Like I said, management doesn't even know what the heck they bought when they bought that station from the prior owner. What are they running, something like 100kw from a couple hundred feet in downtown Waterloo? (I'm to lazy to go look it up). I've been hearing for the past 8 years that Ch22 was building a 2000' tower, but it never happens. I would think now that they have a new owner something probably will happen. With the demise of the UPN I wonder what they have planned for programming. Hopefully not more crap like "Confessions Live". Boy, was that a waste of 15 minutes of my life when I decided to see what that was about.

The comments and opinions expressed in my posts are strictly my own and are not necessarily those of my employer or anyone else.
post #11 of 4956 Old 03-05-2006, 06:01 AM

Can anyone recommend a CR business for an OTA purchase/install?
Thanks much.
post #12 of 4956 Old 03-05-2006, 09:54 AM

Quote:

Like I said, management doesn't even know what the heck they bought when they bought that station from the prior owner. What are they running, something like 100kw from a couple hundred feet in downtown Waterloo? (I'm to lazy to go look it up). I've been hearing for the past 8 years that Ch22 was building a 2000' tower, but it never happens. I would think now that they have a new owner something probably will happen. With the demise of the UPN I wonder what they have planned for programming. Hopefully not more crap like "Confessions Live". Boy, was that a waste of 15 minutes of my life when I decided to see what that was about.

Their transmitter is on the roof of the Black's Building in downtown Waterloo. We (CFU in Cedar Falls) were having problems picking them up due to interference from building skips and such and eventually went to picking them up off of the Sat feed from Arkansas.
post #13 of 4956 Old 03-05-2006, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfujoe View Post

Their transmitter is on the roof of the Black's Building in downtown Waterloo. We (CFU in Cedar Falls) were having problems picking them up due to interference from building skips and such and eventually went to picking them up off of the Sat feed from Arkansas.

They have an app to go 3 mw at 600'ish, with their current power at 500 kw
at 150'(!). I say go 500 kw at 600' with a flash-cut to digital and be done with it...

Gilbert
post #14 of 4956 Old 03-05-2006, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

With the demise of the UPN I wonder what they [KWWF] have planned for programming. Hopefully not more crap like "Confessions Live". Boy, was that a waste of 15 minutes of my life when I decided to see what that was about.

There was talk in this thread in "HDTV Programming" that RTN Television, with which KWWF owner Equity Broadcasting is involved, would expand its program offerings beginning Sept. 1. If correct, at least they have something of a backup plan. Another option is to affiliate with My Network TV, which Fox plans to launch for its own "orphaned" stations (they own several Fox/UPN duopolies in major cities such as Minneapolis and L.A.) and other stations searching for a network.

"ItÂs looking more like Y2K than the Bay of Pigs." - FCC Commissioner Adelstein, 6-13-09, on the DTV switch
post #15 of 4956 Old 03-06-2006, 09:52 AM
uhf

Quote:

There was talk in this thread in "HDTV Programming" that RTN Television, with which KWWF owner Equity Broadcasting is involved, would expand its program offerings beginning Sept. 1.

Thanks for that link, the only thread I ever look at on avsforum is this one so I missed that.

Hopefully KWKB will get The CW, at least I can receive them where I'm at (although not real well) and they are a must carry station on Dish Network so I can get them there. KWWF couldn't request Must Carry status on Dish since their signal doesn't reach the Cedar Rapids POP. (I wonder though if they could have if they would have supplied the satellite receiver to get the signal into there?) Come to think of it, we really don't watch anything on KWKB anyway... My wife watches 7th Heaven but that will be over soon.

post #16 of 4956 Old 03-06-2006, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dornitram View Post

Watching KWWL through Mediacom and Las Vegas isn't in HD. Did someone forget to flip the switch?
-dornitram

A Master Control operator slipped up this time.

Sorry!

Dick Owens, W4RNO

post #17 of 4956 Old 03-07-2006, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Owens View Post

First of all, welcome to the thread!

I am not aware of any problems on the Dubuque Mediacom system but I am contacting them today to see what is going on.

By the way, Jerry Rector is no longer at KWWL. He has left for personal reasons. He was always "Johnny on the Spot" in keeping the AVS folks up to date and I will attempt to do the same.

Dick Owens, CE
KWWL/KWWL-DT

Thanks for looking into this for me. It seems Im not the only one having problems, and it does not seem to be linked to the cable card.
Please let us know when you find something out.
post #18 of 4956 Old 03-07-2006, 06:41 AM

Liked: 11
Dick,

I'm in Waterloo and I'm still experiencing the same problem. We traded emails on this a couple times in February.

Mediacom did admit to me that there is a problem, but they said they didn't know if it was a KWWL problem of Mediacom problem. The also mentioned something about contacting a regional manager with Mediacom to get some equipment to diagnose the problem.

Any help if fixing this issue would be greatly appreciated by us!

Thanks,
Todd
post #19 of 4956 Old 03-08-2006, 08:17 PM

Anyone getting a new subcarrier on 9-2? It just started showing up for me today, no video yet, just surprised to see channel 9 adding something.

-shawn
post #20 of 4956 Old 03-09-2006, 08:16 PM
AVS Special Member

The data for 9.2 is in the PSIP stream, but no video yet.

Just a guess, but I would say KCRG, channel 9, total pinpoint, super-duper, nothing else better, doppler, weather radar.......
post #21 of 4956 Old 03-10-2006, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtvincr View Post

The data for 9.2 is in the PSIP stream, but no video yet.

Just a guess, but I would say KCRG, channel 9, total pinpoint, super-duper, nothing else better, doppler, weather radar.......

I think you meant Mega Pinpoint, super-duper, we can see at hair on a knat's butt, nothing else better, tornado chasing, Captain Bobby directing, doppler, weather radar.

Sorry I coudn't resist.
Having the radar image available 24X7 would be nice.
post #22 of 4956 Old 03-10-2006, 07:49 AM

[
Having the radar image available 24X7 would be nice.[/quote]

Well, yes and no -- how many radar images can we watch at one time? We have 7-2, and the Weather Channel, and with an internet connection dozens of weather radars are only a click away. If this is all anyone is going to do with digital broadcastiong, its going to be a tough sell on the uninitiated.
post #23 of 4956 Old 03-10-2006, 08:14 AM
AVS Special Member

beg to differ - having just a nice radar feed, 24-7 would be great. local cable used to provide one - a very useful tool. now we have WeatherPlus instead - tool could still be used in a description, but useful would not. with Weather Plus one is lucky to get 1 minute of local radar feed out of 10. Weather Channel isn't much better - ok for trends, but not worth a crap for actual real-time weather info. I'm to the point of subscribing to an online service, just for realtime radar. If you know of where it can be found free, PLEASE let me know.

In case no one picked up, I feel WEATHER PLUS is a joke, and waste of bandwidth. HLM is right about that - it is a pale copy of Weather Channel. Only upside is that they don't do "stories" yet. But give them time.

Jon

Denon DVP - everyone else loves it.
post #24 of 4956 Old 03-10-2006, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingvee View Post

In case no one picked up, I feel WEATHER PLUS is a joke, and waste of bandwidth.

I am very disappointed in Weather Plus also.

I don't mind a radar feed if it's done correctly and doesn't interfere with the network HD feed.
post #25 of 4956 Old 03-10-2006, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm to the point of subscribing to an online service, just for realtime radar. If you know of where it can be found free, PLEASE let me know.

It's not exactly a "live" stream, but www.kcrg.com (Cedar Rapids), www.kwwl.com (Waterloo), and www.whotv.com and www.kcci.com (Des Moines), all have images from their live radars which are updated every two to three minutes as long as their radars are working.

KCCI also offers something called "livestreaming radar," but my connection isn't fast enough for me to really check it out.

Just be warned that so many things can go wrong with the internet and weather sites tend to get a lot of hits when weather is actually happening. If there's an acute severe weather situation in your area you're better off watching or listening to a TV or radio station which is providing live coverage.

post #26 of 4956 Old 03-13-2006, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc0bsn View Post

Welcome to the new thread for eastern Iowa HDTV. This thread covers KWWL-DT, KCRG-DT, KGAN-DT, KFXA-DT, KFPX-DT, KIIN-DT, KWKB-DT, and KRIN-DT.

I respectfully request that the title of this thread be changed to Cedar Rapids-Waterloo-Iowa City-Dubuque, IA, as that is our official TV market area name per Nielsen Media. http://www.nielsenmedia.com/DMAs.html

Let's not exculde posters who don't live inside the BIG city in our market

Thanks.

KC
Cedar Falls
post #27 of 4956 Old 03-13-2006, 02:06 PM

Quote:

beg to differ - having just a nice radar feed, 24-7 would be great. local cable used to provide one - a very useful tool. now we have WeatherPlus instead - tool could still be used in a description, but useful would not. with Weather Plus one is lucky to get 1 minute of local radar feed out of 10. Weather Channel isn't much better - ok for trends, but not worth a crap for actual real-time weather info. I'm to the point of subscribing to an online service, just for realtime radar. If you know of where it can be found free, PLEASE let me know.

In case no one picked up, I feel WEATHER PLUS is a joke, and waste of bandwidth. HLM is right about that - it is a pale copy of Weather Channel. Only upside is that they don't do "stories" yet. But give them time.

First of all the Weather Plus was designed by NBC to offer Local forecasts and local radar through out the day WITHOUT the "Stories". The only exception to this is the children's programming that the FCC requires us to air during the week at 12PM and 2PM Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. We do have both local radar and NEXRAD on the air about every 7 minutes, or so. If the weather is really bad we go live on WeatherPlus to make sure everyone knows what's happening.

The issue of "bandwidth" is erroneous and appears on every HDTV forum through out the country sooner or later. The fact is that the equipment we use at KWWL is designed to accomodate the channels we are broadcasting without compromising the HD (7.1) service. We use a STAT MUX (statistical multiplexer) to accomplish this. It constantly apportions the needed bandwith to the different services as needed with a priority to the 7.1 HD channel. I think the worth of this equipment has been demonstrated by the excellent results we have had during NASCAR and the Olympics with our two subchannels in operation. That said, I understand that the possibility exists that some adjustments may have to be made to insure the PQ on the HD service from time to time.

As always, if you do see a problem with the HD let me know about it either on the forum or email.

Dick Owens, W4RNO

post #28 of 4956 Old 03-13-2006, 02:38 PM - Thread Starter

Hmmm... originally the thread was titled with three cities... I'll change it back and PM CPanther to let him to know this market is kinda funky.

I've also added a tag at the end of the first post with the main cities to hopefully catch anyone that may be searching for this local thread.

post #29 of 4956 Old 03-13-2006, 02:58 PM

Here's a copy of my response via PM:

Quote:

If they search the thread Index, it will come up for all cities listed by Nielsen. For the AVS Thread titles, only the primary city for each DMA is listed to avoid confusion and extremely long thread titles.

Very few newbies can successfully locate their specific thread by simply scanning the thread titles. Most threads do not remain on the front page very long. The Index is setup so all cities are listed, then a link to their appropriate thread.

The old thread this split from was titled "Cedar Rapids / Davenport, IA - HDTV ". Two cities were listed, but only because the thread covered two separate DMAs (Primary city of each - largest to smallest)
post #30 of 4956 Old 03-13-2006, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Not to mention that each station lists our cities in a different order. The only requirement is that you list your city of license first in your legal ID (i.e.: KGAN and KCRG have to start with Cedar Rapids, KWWL with Waterloo). Sometimes you'll notice the other three get shifted around a little every so often.

Reply Local HDTV Info and Reception

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page